anyone work in a language other than english?

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • Red-Moose 18 May 2011 15:13:11 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    well i start work in dutch ina few weeks and while i've been getting daily 1:1 lessons for the past 3 weeks, it's still fucking terrifying me. I can speak it well enough to talk shit in a pub, and German as well, but I've never worked *worked* outside of English.

    WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I DONE.
  • AcidSnake 18 May 2011 15:19:41 7,278 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, but then again, I'm not English...

    Dutch people speak English very well though, so it shouldn't be hard to make yourself understood if you get in trouble...Dutch itself can be quite difficult as like many languages you need to learn the gender of the nouns...

    And the 'G' is very difficult to pronounce correctly...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • KayJay 18 May 2011 15:21:55 5,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, "Bullshit"...

    /not enjoying work atm... :(
  • craigy Staff 18 May 2011 15:22:34 7,663 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PHP, ahahaha.
  • Red-Moose 18 May 2011 15:25:39 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Yep, but then again, I'm not English...

    Dutch people speak English very well though, so it shouldn't be hard to make yourself understood if you get in trouble...Dutch itself can be quite difficult as like many languages you need to learn the gender of the nouns...

    And the 'G' is very difficult to pronounce correctly...

    The gender and grammar I find is not a problem after German, but the dialect, accent and general speed of speech is tough. The G you can get away with as that seems to be more a North Holland thing according to my teacher, but it seems like the dutch speak with the pauses and punctuation of Christopher Walken. What is stressed and what is not, etc., .
  • LionheartDJH 18 May 2011 15:30:57 19,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So just talk like Max Zorin then and all will be fine. Also laugh manically while shooting your own colleagues for no apparent reason, that'll go down well!

    She dives for cheese pasties

  • AcidSnake 18 May 2011 15:31:56 7,278 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Center-north yeah, but it is sort of frowned upon...Many consider the hard G to be the correct one...I think in order to distance themselves from Belgium...

    Extrapolating gender from German isn't always correct, but could be a quick help...

    As for general pronunciation, that'll come once you're actually in the deep end... :)

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Deleted user 18 May 2011 15:32:26
    I occasionally have to talk to people from Exeter, so I'm halfway there.
  • Sponz 18 May 2011 15:33:53 648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm English, in Geneva, surrounded by Frenchies. Its a nightmare.....
  • MetalDog 18 May 2011 15:34:22 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How confusing does it make what you say if you fuck up the gender in a gender-prone language? Does it destroy meaning, or just make you sound like a plank?

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • AcidSnake 18 May 2011 15:37:57 7,278 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's just a small error, everyone will still understand what you mean...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Sponz 18 May 2011 15:38:27 648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    How confusing does it make what you say if you fuck up the gender in a gender-prone language? Does it destroy meaning, or just make you sound like a plank?

    There are two phrases recently that have caught me out.

    Beaucoup - if you say it too quickly means "nice arse"

    La Chat - Means The cat, but, pronounce it wrong and it means a female reproductive organ.


    I just bumble along, and if I cant understand something I say in my best pidgeon French "I am English and my French is very bad"
  • Deleted user 18 May 2011 15:39:15
    Take the default 'Brit on Holiday' approach. If they don't understand you just say it again but louder.
  • AcidSnake 18 May 2011 15:41:41 7,278 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MD:
    Sorry, I was talking about Dutch...other languages not so sure...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Sponz 18 May 2011 15:42:55 648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doesnt really wash with people I work with everyday. Luckily I work for an English firm, so its up to them to also be understanding with English people.

    I am trying to learn a couple of new words a day. We're very lucky being English in that we're spoilt with a lot of world already speaking our language. Whereby a lot of non-English people have mastered the English language.

    A good comparison also is that to get by in an English speaking country, you need just 500 words to have a conversation. In French, you need 2000 apparently. It really is a bit of a long winded language..
  • MetalDog 18 May 2011 15:43:20 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm most likely to be found mangling German if I'm going to attempt anything beyond English.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • SYS64738 18 May 2011 15:45:31 1,662 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    How confusing does it make what you say if you fuck up the gender in a gender-prone language? Does it destroy meaning, or just make you sound like a plank?

    If you're a beautiful french woman then it's cute.
    If you're anything else then you just sound like a feckin foreigner;)

    PSN: SYS64738_UK

  • thedaveeyres 18 May 2011 15:46:14 11,095 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ¡El baile monstruo!

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • AcidSnake 18 May 2011 15:46:52 7,278 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    German...Three genders, no construct logic to them...
    At least Italian gives you a fair idea what the gender is with the last letter of the noun...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Sponz 18 May 2011 15:47:22 648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    If you're a beautiful french woman then it's cute.
    If you're anything else then you just sound like a feckin foreigner;)


    And there really are lots of very cute French / Swiss birds around here.... ;)
  • FairgroundTown 18 May 2011 15:48:40 2,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    How confusing does it make what you say if you fuck up the gender in a gender-prone language? Does it destroy meaning, or just make you sound like a plank?
    In Spanish it just sounds odd - it rarely destroys the meaning - after all, English lost the gender stuff 900 (???) years ago, and we are muddling along just fine without it!
  • LionheartDJH 18 May 2011 15:50:05 19,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    German...Three genders, no construct logic to them...
    At least Italian gives you a fair idea what the gender is with the last letter of the noun...

    Same with Espanol.

    She dives for cheese pasties

  • FairgroundTown 18 May 2011 15:51:37 2,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    German...Three genders, no construct logic to them...
    At least Italian gives you a fair idea what the gender is with the last letter of the noun...
    Usually! (My relatives-in-law still have a laugh about the time I referred to 'la Papa' (the (f) pope) in Spanish!)
  • paulfurn 18 May 2011 15:52:59 237 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I live in Spain and when my fiancée comes over she talks to the locals in English, but with a Spanish accent :-D

  • AcidSnake 18 May 2011 15:54:16 7,278 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hahaha...true...
    The Pope (Il Papa), tiger (La tigre) and planet (Il pianeta) are common exceptions...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • Gambit1977 18 May 2011 15:57:38 9,718 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey, just copy Steve Mclaren, his Dutch is English with an accent, and they understood him.
  • Red-Moose 18 May 2011 16:01:29 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought he sounded Yorkshire in those videos!
  • Salaman 18 May 2011 16:59:32 19,088 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My condolences Red Moose. You'll have to listen to Dutchies speaking English to you with that horrible Dutchie accent day in day out soon.
    And then they'll assimilate you and slowly you'll learn more and more Dutch but you'll pronounce it with that horrible Dutchie accent of theirs.

    /doffs cap


    edit: I'm your opposite. I speak Dutch but I've been working in English for 9 out of the 12 years of my working life.
  • Red-Moose 18 May 2011 21:31:31 5,346 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am especially looking forward to speaking English with a Dutch accshent :)
  • Metalfish 18 May 2011 21:46:10 8,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, I let my fists do the talking...

    ...down at the S&M club.

    /Terrible joke
  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply