NTSC Cube games on UK wii - can I ?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Youthist 13 May 2011 09:35:00 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyway to have US Cube games working on my Wii?

I am aware you cant get Wii games working from different regions, but is there something I can do for the UK Wii to play backlog NTSC Cube games?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Lexx87 13 May 2011 09:36:46 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There used to be a disk you could use which set it up for you, I used to play NTSC F-Zero GX on my Wii. Well actually that was all I played on my Wii.

For the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Youthist 13 May 2011 09:40:21 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't a firmware upgrade hose the Freeloader?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Lexx87 13 May 2011 09:40:42 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Which looking at the website for it:

"Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control Wii Freeloader is not compatible with Wii firmware 3.3 and higher (released as an online update 17/06/2008)."

So that's out .

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 13 May 2011 10:00:10
    No I wont, some one who can remember how to do it will though :D

Or you could play those games on your PC/Mac with Dolphin.
  • robthehermit 13 May 2011 10:17:10 3,969 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why not just get an NTSC Cube, you could probably get one for not a lot of money these days.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Deleted user 13 May 2011 10:20:04
    Extra plug, component lead is seriously expensive, he already has a wii, etc.
  • Jemura 14 May 2011 17:07:30 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With Startpatch homebrew app you can play ntsc gamecube games with the disc channel. I have patched my Wii, but i haven't tried it yet.
  • twh104 17 May 2011 21:09:52 45 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have the GameCube freeloader, the 2006 version which says "works with Wii" on the front, and it works fine for my NTSC Twilight Princess with the latest firmware. It was just the Wii-loader that was killed.
  • Dan234 18 May 2011 08:16:54 2,232 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It seems some versions of GC Freeloader got the bullet too.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/01/freeloader-gc-doesnt-work-in-our-wii/

So if you can't find one that works you could try the Homebrew Channel and Gecko OS...

http://bootmii.org/

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS
  • Youthist 12 Jul 2011 11:48:56 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got around to this. And it works like a charm. All my NTSC Cube games working (through component too on the Wii, which is nice) using Homebrew Browser and Gecko OS. I am worried about future updates bricking it, however.

• MrSemprini 12 Jul 2011 12:23:09 9,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't update then. There hasn't been a meaningful update since 4.0 anyway, just a series of inept attempts to block homebrew.
  • Youthist 12 Jul 2011 12:26:31 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah. I have turned off. I have 4.3e (latest) and I am working fine. But they might try to force something with Skyward Sword (for example) but I guess cross that bridge if it happens.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 12 Jul 2011 12:29:45 10,852 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did you already have homebrew in place before updating to 4.3e, Youthist?

I managed to lose access to homebrew following an update applied by my niece. Is there any easy way of getting this back (other than using Lego Indiana Jones)?
  • Youthist 12 Jul 2011 12:33:31 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, had 4.3e for ever, and just installed homebrew (Star Wars hack, return of the jodi, you need Lego Stars Wars Complete Saga) and homebrew browser and gecko this am.

• MrSemprini 12 Jul 2011 12:37:04 9,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smash Bros can also be used to get HBC on the latest firmware.
  • Dan234 12 Jul 2011 20:15:34 2,232 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, Wheelie Breakers, and Tales of Symphonia will also do the trick.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel#Installation

If you want to block updates then set a parental controls PIN. You'll be asked for it before the Wii starts updating. Not sure if it works for disc games but it does for Internet updates. You don't need to set any further restrictions, just choose a PIN.
  • Youthist 13 Jul 2011 09:40:47 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My understanding is that the sell-on price for these games remains high as a direct result of them being much sought-after in order to install Homebrew - can anyone confirm?

Also Dan, doesn't turning off the internet connection also do the same job as the PIN thing?

• MrSemprini 13 Jul 2011 10:45:54 9,372 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    My understanding is that the sell-on price for these games remains high as a direct result of them being much sought-after in order to install Homebrew - can anyone confirm?

Don't know about the ones Dan listed, but Smash Bros can be had for about a tenner used.
  • Youthist 13 Jul 2011 12:46:14 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually I think it was more when it was just Indiana Jones hack that worked - I think more have been done since then. But at one point, Indianas was sought after as being the only hack option at that time. I read this somewhere. I think.

• Dan234 15 Jul 2011 16:01:39 2,232 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Youthist wrote:

Also Dan, doesn't turning off the internet connection also do the same job as the PIN thing?

I suppose so, but don't you want to play online, stream stuff from another computer or NAS box in the house, or use the Today and Tomorrow Channel...?

By the way, Smash Brothers will be the most update resistant, because you run the game, the game itself reads the SD card directly, and then the game gets exploited.

The rest require you to copy a saved game with the exploit to the internal memory using the Wii Menu, you launch the game from the Wii Menu, and the game reads the saved game and gets exploited. Nintendo update the Wii Menu every so often to detect new exploits, delete the ones you've already got, and not let you copy them to internal memory but they can't do much about the Smash Brothers exploit when Smash Brothers is running.
  • Youthist 15 Jul 2011 16:04:16 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is not how mine is working - you select NTSC option from a menu and load the game in question.

• Dan234 15 Jul 2011 16:33:54 2,232 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are we talking about the same thing?

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Smash_Stack#How_it_works
  • Youthist 15 Jul 2011 17:05:49 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not even sure what we are talking about anymore!

Either way, its working and I am happy, I have turned off updates, and will update on a case by case basis once I know if there is any danger performing the update. I dont care if it locks me out of Homebrew, or deletes it, I just don't want a bricked Wii.

• roz123 15 Jul 2011 17:10:42 7,112 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did the smash stack a few days ago and it worked a treat. Now to play some "homebrew"
  • Youthist 15 Jul 2011 17:21:06 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Homebrew and some of the older ROMS are great. But my US Cube catalogue over component = lovely

• Youthist 15 May 2013 18:00:17 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:

Here is one - two years back.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous