Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror Page 4

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• binster 6 Dec 2011 11:46:46 510 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think it had much to say about technology really, apart from as a side issue of "Pandora's box" style once it's out there you can't stop it stuff.

I think it was more an examination of the public's insatiable desire for schadenfreude contrasted with it actually happening and the public's revultion.
  • Fatiguez 6 Dec 2011 11:50:05 8,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mark1412 wrote:
    Pretty good but a touch heavy-handed.
    This, and I also agree with whoever that the whole news reporter side-story didn't add anything. That said, on the whole I thought it was ace
  • Blaketown 6 Dec 2011 12:15:41 4,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I always want my pig fucking drama to be a bit more subtle and sophisticated.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• terminalterror 6 Dec 2011 12:52:28 18,937 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fatiguez wrote:
    Mark1412 wrote:
    Pretty good but a touch heavy-handed.
    This, and I also agree with whoever that the whole news reporter side-story didn't add anything. That said, on the whole I thought it was ace
    It added the bit where the reporter watches the secret armed raid, but usually manages to escape a series of highly trained operatives, only this time it played out a little differently and she ended up shot.
  • MoGamer2006 6 Dec 2011 18:25:02 975 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, that was *alright*. You do wonder whether it'd have been greenlit if Brooker's name wasn't attached. I was expecting it to be a bit smarter, and it felt dreadfully padded (the reporter bit is totally redundant).

And as an early poster said, the government's stance (publicly, anyway) has always been "We don't negotiate with terrorists" - this would be no different, which sort of chops it off at the knees dramatically.

Will tune in next week, though a satire of the X-Factor culture does sound an awful lot like shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Chopsen 6 Dec 2011 19:34:15 15,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    And as an early poster said, the government's stance (publicly, anyway) has always been "We don't negotiate with terrorists" - this would be no different, which sort of chops it off at the knees dramatically.
    It was a work of fiction, not an instructional video on how to deal demands in a hostage situation.

Scooby Do is a terrible cartoon because dogs can't talk.
  • Mr-Brett 6 Dec 2011 19:45:58 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scooby Doo isn't trying to be gritty and realistic though.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Chopsen 6 Dec 2011 20:01:30 15,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Neither was this. What bit of someone being kidnapped and the demands for release being that the PM fuck a pig on national TV made you think this was going for gritty realism?
  • Mr-Brett 6 Dec 2011 20:15:08 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty much everything else, I thought that was it's whole Shtick. Absurdity in a realistic setting.

Portable view - Never forget.

• mrpon 6 Dec 2011 22:13:07 28,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked the bit where the journo snapped her snapper.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Chopsen 6 Dec 2011 22:46:47 15,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Absurdity in a realistic setting.
    Exactly.

Seems odd thing to get hung up about how one detail is unrealistic when the entire premise is preposterous. I *like* the fact it's played completely straight despite being stupid. Imagine the same thing with a laughter track.
  • MoGamer2006 7 Dec 2011 14:04:42 975 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But that one detail is everything, in my eyes.

Brooker's trying to paint a "OMG, we're just a gnat's cocklength from something like this REALLY HAPPENING!?!?!?!" but that warning is undermined by that critical error/omission. With a concept like this, you need to base it in truth or otherwise it's just fanciful bullshit.

And I never thought it was meant to be comedy, more drama with blackly comic tinges, so a laughter track would be totally inappropriate anyway.

Edited by MoGamer2006 at 14:39:49 07-12-2011
  • Dougs 7 Dec 2011 14:23:30 66,728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Absurdity in a realistic setting.
    Exactly.

Seems odd thing to get hung up about how one detail is unrealistic when the entire premise is preposterous. I *like* the fact it's played completely straight despite being stupid. Imagine the same thing with a laughter track.
    Indeed. We don't need to state the obvious, it's a satire. The only thing that annoyed me was the bloke who snapped the pron star would have had his camera confiscated, but it's a minor point and as my wife is fond of saying "it's in the script".
  • Chopsen 7 Dec 2011 14:39:33 15,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The equivalent in our house is "it's not a documentary"
  • mal 7 Dec 2011 14:48:23 22,341 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, I assumed it more as a 'what if' based satire. Take an absurd plot point to start, then treat it all perfectly straight from then on. Pointing out where they've failed to do the latter is fair game, although to be fair, probably best left to moaning about on web forums after the fact than screaming at the telly while it's still on.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Chopsen 7 Dec 2011 14:50:04 15,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    Brooker's trying to paint a "OMG, we're just a gnat's cocklength from something like this REALLY HAPPENING!?!?!?!"
    I don't think that is what it's about at all.

There's an obsession with public opinion driving how a lot of very important questions are being decided. Social media forms a rapid ground-swell of opinion, and there's no responsibility attached to expressive views in this way. Most of the general public view the news, current events and "celebrities" (including politicians) not as people but as entertainment fodder.

Popular opinion forms unthinkingly and those in power sway to mob rule.

I don't think he's really thinking that Dave would molest a farmyard animal to save Kate. It's about the public perception of how government and the media should work, taken to extreme to illustrate why you should be careful what you wish for.

Reductio ad absurdum
  • Fatiguez 7 Dec 2011 15:43:34 8,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Hmm, I assumed it more as a 'what if' based satire. Take an absurd plot point to start, then treat it all perfectly straight from then on. Pointing out where they've failed to do the latter is fair game, although to be fair, probably best left to moaning about on web forums after the fact than screaming at the telly while it's still on.
    Yeah, this was it really. As I said, I thought it was great, but saying that nitpicking isn't appropriate here because its 'about a guy shagging a pig' is kind of missing the point of the show IMO
  • Bigglesworth 9 Dec 2011 11:10:50 368 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only just got around to watching this, and just quickly caught up with the thread. I reckon Chopsen is spot on regarding the aim of the story; this was more about human nature, and specifically the direction of western society, than anything else. The quick shots of social media pages and YouTube comments were very well observed - in fact I'd be unsurprised if they'd been lifted from real postings with some ones changed.

In that context, the only thing I think didn't ring true was seeing the majority of people still watching the televised event any longer than a few minutes, let alone the hour or so it was supposed to have been running for.

I was also confused about the garage worker who hanged himself. This was obviously the man whose finger was delivered to the news studio, but what was his connection to the kidnapper? What did I miss?
  • Blaketown 9 Dec 2011 11:13:36 4,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He was the artist/kidnapper wasn't he?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blaketown 9 Dec 2011 11:14:00 4,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Ka-blamo 9 Dec 2011 11:23:25 7,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    He was the artist/kidnapper wasn't he?
    Yep, I thought that was pretty clear..it was all explained in the credits.

'One art critic called it the first great art of the 21st century'

I've read a lot of people asking this question, those were the ones that didn't concentrate during the credits :)

Edited by Ka-blamo at 11:24:35 09-12-2011
  • Bigglesworth 9 Dec 2011 14:42:53 368 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahh, ok, yeah perhaps my concentration was waning by then =) I saw the one-year-later report on the artist, but assumed he was still alive and was therefore a different person. It makes a lot more sense now, thanks!
  • Deleted user 9 December 2011 14:47:02
    You missed the fairly obvious missing finger?
  • localnotail 11 Dec 2011 20:29:47 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    9.30 start for the second one, the talent show one. I wonder how many post XFactor viewers they will pick up?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 11 December 2011 21:38:48
    BUMP
  • localnotail 11 Dec 2011 22:32:12 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :(

Very depressing. I tried to turn it off but some men appeared at my door with guns and are forcing me to watch the last 20 mins.

• localnotail 11 Dec 2011 22:50:36 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think Connie will be working on XFactor again.

• magicpanda 11 Dec 2011 22:55:01 13,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, that's enough looking at screens today...
  • andywilkie35 11 Dec 2011 22:55:07 5,338 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hugely disappointing compared to last week

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Page

of 11 First / Last