Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror Page 7

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• magicpanda 13 Dec 2011 09:56:23 13,008 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Scimarad wrote:
    I can see it both ways, TBH. While 1984 was certainly horrible, there was a certain horror about the utter inevitability and ease of their hijacking of his little rebellion and the way he sort of just gave in of his own free will, ending up promoting (and profiting from) this system he obviously hated.

Anybody else wonder if that window at the end was real or am I just being daft?
    The window at the end was real, the perspective changed with the camera position.
    No, with all that happened it was just for a bigger, better screen.
  • richarddavies 13 Dec 2011 09:57:57 2,572 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it's any consolation I thought the main guy played his part great. Just didn't think it was done very well. I'll try and finish it but if the rest is as interesting as the first half I'll leave it.
  • richarddavies 13 Dec 2011 10:02:23 2,572 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Fuck all was happening? ADD much? :D
    As I saw I only got part way through but what I did watch. He got up. Peddled a bike, went to bed. Got up peddled a bike, went to bed. Got up saw a girl, peddled a bike, went to bed. Got up peddled a bike with stalking. Went to bed etc etc ad infinitum. Just because the lead was admitedly likeable it doesn't change the fact everything else was sub par. The judges in particular were the limit for me. I've seen better acting in Grand theft anal 4. Fuckin terrible they were.
  • Lukus 13 Dec 2011 10:05:01 18,955 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They were caricatures.

Paintings & Photographs

• richarddavies 13 Dec 2011 10:15:08 2,572 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shit caricatures.
  • Rhythm 13 Dec 2011 10:24:03 2,375 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Watched 15MM last night and absolutely loved it. Can't do spoilers cos my browser doesn't work with the Eurogamer site weirdness so I won't go into detail but I thought the caricatures were great, the pacing was fantastic, the whole vibe was eerie as fuck. The hijacking of Kinect-esque tech to prevent you skipping ads was excellent too :-)

All in all a great watch
  • kinky_mong 13 Dec 2011 12:26:55 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Personally I found it very disappointing compared to last week's episode. When I read previously that it was influenced by Network I didn't think the ending would be so blatantly ripped off from that film.

And I sort of agree with richarddavies, it could definitely have done with about 15 minutes being culled from the first third. The monotony of the situation didn't need to be laboured so heavily.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• mal 13 Dec 2011 19:48:22 21,962 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Where did you read that it was influenced by Network? All I've seen is the wikipedia writeup saying the ending is similar.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Fixxxer 13 Dec 2011 20:10:49 1,302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brooker said as much in some Twitter Q&A.
  • hiddenranbir 13 Dec 2011 20:12:44 5,744 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Put it in wikipedia, noowwww.
  • mal 13 Dec 2011 20:15:56 21,962 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, bloody Twitter. Fair enough. Personally I'm glad I didn't know that before watching it, as it takes away any surprise from the ending. Not that I think the ending needs that surprise - it made its point well enough.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• binster 14 Dec 2011 11:57:19 495 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thought it was ace. I read the ending as a cautionary warning that it's extremely difficult to stay true to your beliefs when you get the promise of power and status.

Edited by binster at 11:58:15 14-12-2011
  • lexxx 14 Dec 2011 13:11:41 160 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Found it very disappointing, didn't think it had anything new to say... tv fame whores, slaves to technology in a dystopian future, etc, all of this has been done before.

I kept thinking of what Brooker wrote about Banksy some time ago (here) about the lack of subtlety and nuance in Banksy's paintings (with some justification) plus how clichťd his targets are, etc. Well, for me, that's exactly what Brooker is guilty of here. Its a shame, normally I think he's pretty spot on.
  • geeza2020 16 Dec 2011 15:41:57 1,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I dont care if this has already been posted (I didnt get to watch the second episode of this until last night, but Bing's rant at the end was fucking awesome and a section of it was extremely jarring when I considered just how much time and money I spend on video games and related pap:

...Because weíre so out of our minds with desperation, we donít know any better. All we know is fake fodder and buying shit. Thatís how we speak to each other, how we express ourselves is buying shit.ĒďWhat, I have a dream? The peak of our dreams is a new app for our Dopple, it doesnít exist! Itís not even there! We buy shit thatís not even there. Show us something real and free and beautiful. You couldnít. Yeah? Itíll break us. Weíre too numb for it. I might as well choke. Itís only so much wonder we can bear. Thatís why when you find any wonder whatsoever; you dole it out in meagre portions.

ďAnd only then until itís augmented, packaged, and plumped through 10,000 pre-assigned filters till itís nothing more than a meaningless series of lights, while we ride day in day out, going where? Powering what? All tiny cells and tiny screens and bigger cells and bigger screens and f**k you!Ē

ďF**k you, thatís what it boils down to. Itís F**k you for sitting there and slowly making things worse. F**k you and your spotlight and your sanctimonious faces. F**k you all for thinking the one thing I came close to never meant anything. For oozing around it and crushing it into a bone, into a joke. One more ugly joke in a kingdom of millions. F**k you for happening. F**k you for me, for us, for everyone. F**k you!"
    I nearly fucking cried at the end of this speech, partly in in agreement, but mostly in realisation at how much shit there is in my own life that doesnt mean a god damn thing.

Edited by geeza2020 at 15:42:25 16-12-2011
  • Deleted user 16 December 2011 15:43:25
    Yup, I have tons of shit I don't need and sometimes don't even want, it's kinda depressing but I don't buy anywhere near as much crap anymore.
  • Madder-Max 16 Dec 2011 16:19:49 11,568 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    geeza2020 wrote:
    I dont care if this has already been posted (I didnt get to watch the second episode of this until last night, but Bing's rant at the end was fucking awesome and a section of it was extremely jarring when I considered just how much time and money I spend on video games and related pap:

...Because weíre so out of our minds with desperation, we donít know any better. All we know is fake fodder and buying shit. Thatís how we speak to each other, how we express ourselves is buying shit.ĒďWhat, I have a dream? The peak of our dreams is a new app for our Dopple, it doesnít exist! Itís not even there! We buy shit thatís not even there. Show us something real and free and beautiful. You couldnít. Yeah? Itíll break us. Weíre too numb for it. I might as well choke. Itís only so much wonder we can bear. Thatís why when you find any wonder whatsoever; you dole it out in meagre portions.

ďAnd only then until itís augmented, packaged, and plumped through 10,000 pre-assigned filters till itís nothing more than a meaningless series of lights, while we ride day in day out, going where? Powering what? All tiny cells and tiny screens and bigger cells and bigger screens and f**k you!Ē

ďF**k you, thatís what it boils down to. Itís F**k you for sitting there and slowly making things worse. F**k you and your spotlight and your sanctimonious faces. F**k you all for thinking the one thing I came close to never meant anything. For oozing around it and crushing it into a bone, into a joke. One more ugly joke in a kingdom of millions. F**k you for happening. F**k you for me, for us, for everyone. F**k you!"
    I nearly fucking cried at the end of this speech, partly in in agreement, but mostly in realisation at how much shit there is in my own life that doesnt mean a god damn thing.
    This was truly excellent and its left an impression on me. very scary with the fine for ad skipping.

Are they in a prison? because there are comments made by the judges and adverts for the talent show about payng dues? this could have been clarified more. Would like to have had a social overview whether it was 1984'ish, a modern future prison or something else more sinister like an ultra communist/capitalist state like China in the future.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Madder-Max 16 Dec 2011 16:23:50 11,568 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    binster wrote:
    Thought it was ace. I read the ending as a cautionary warning that it's extremely difficult to stay true to your beliefs when you get the promise of power and status.
    Or a submission to the fact that no matter what you do or say...it can be packaged and sold and that no one person has any influence at all. the dissolution of the individual.

the original Rollerball deals with this subject very well, although being made in the 70's the individual wins out.

Actually felt uncomfortable switching on the xbox after with the new dash and all the apps

it was also interesting to note how dumbed down, sanitised ad Wii-like the game was that he was playing

Edited by Madder-Max at 16:26:57 16-12-2011

99 problems and being ginger is one

• andywilkie35 16 Dec 2011 16:27:13 5,338 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just as well the rant has been posted here, I almost fell asleep during it.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Kosmoz 16 Dec 2011 16:29:39 7,509 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched it yesterday. It was the most depressing thing I've ever watched on TV. I did enjoy it though.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• BinaryBob101 16 Dec 2011 17:03:17 21,966 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @andywilkie35

Then you should be riding a bike.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Futaba 16 Dec 2011 17:04:10 3,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The sexy ads in the program reminded me of a real life annoyance by intrusive and loud advert.

It was either Christmas night, or boxing day night around 11:30pm-12am. I was chatting to my Granddad and the TV was on in the background showing adverts. Then the next ad came on: "WOULD YOU LIKE TO FIND HOT SINGLES IN YOUR AREA TONIGHT!? TEXT NOW!" as some gormless grinning ladies were shown. I can usually ignore these ads, but the fact it was my Granddad I was speaking to and it was kinda loud just made the whole moment and conversation we were having awkward.

I'm not even religious but I was thinking something like "do ads like these really need to be aired at Christmas?". Even perverts should admit Christmas is supposed to be about family, not smut. I'm sure they wouldn't go out of business not airing those ads for a couple of days. Hopefully some of you lovely EG posters will understand my viewpoint and not look at me like I'm Helen Lovejoy.

Edited by Futaba at 17:08:20 16-12-2011

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Chopsen 16 Dec 2011 17:09:44 15,178 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Helen Lovejoy, I didn't know you posted here?
  • localnotail 16 Dec 2011 17:12:00 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's ok Helen, I think you will find that Fluffy is always thinking of the children.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Futaba 16 Dec 2011 17:19:18 3,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol :) <3 EG.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Deleted user 18 December 2011 21:00:18
    bump
  • DFawkes 18 Dec 2011 21:57:09 22,063 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed that, even more than the others. Nice message. I'll not say much more for Billy's sake, though I don't think it's really the sort of story you can spoil as such.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• sport 18 Dec 2011 21:58:00 12,046 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Enjoyed that, the premise that all women are cheating slags really stuck with me.
  • Jolly_Armadillo 18 Dec 2011 21:58:36 574 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That wa good! Really enjoyed it, was the best one for me. Really hope they do a follow up series :)

PSN: Jolly_Armadillo
    Xbox: Jolly Spartan

• Page

of 11 First / Last