Things you want to change in the game industry?

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 May 2011 13:09:11 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The game industry is growing, financially and in popularity, every year it seems. We gamers have been provided with some fantastic games in the last few years, as well as other new features through our consoles like Sky, Lovefilm, Facebook, Twitter and others.

    The new found success of the industry doesnt come with out a downside though. Gamers have been disgruntled by online subscription fees, Mulitplayer fees like "Project $10" and , most recently, possible security issues.

    However, my personal problem with the game industry is its judgement of games on Metascore and sales. We have lost some great game studios recentley like Bizarre, Harmonix and Pandemic. Black Rock studios, who created the superlative Split/Second, look like their on the way out too.


    I would prefer todays publishers to look at the quality of their product, rather than the numbers it has done, before deciding to invest in its future. Two of the best games ive played in recent times are Alpha Protcol and Enslaved, but neither of these games are likely to get a well deserved sequel due to poor sales.

    What would you like to see changed in the industry and why?

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • Dirtbox 11 May 2011 13:10:35 77,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just get rid of consoles. That's it really.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • DUFFMAN5 11 May 2011 13:11:36 14,377 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Keep to fookin release datelines.
    Make all games multuregion.

    "Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

  • Jazzy_Geoff 11 May 2011 13:14:28 7,767 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No more PC gaming. Let the nerds make do with spread sheets and data management systems.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2011 13:14:32
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Just get rid of consoles. That's it really.
    Fuck that, I like more than 3 genres.
  • dsmx 11 May 2011 13:15:25 7,548 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get rid of shareholders at game publishers and developers.

    "If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

  • pinebear 11 May 2011 13:20:05 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    No more PC gaming. Let the nerds make do with spread sheets and data management systems.

    Sorry, is this some sort of snide dig at fans of Real Time Strategy and Football Manager games?

  • Mr-Brett 11 May 2011 13:21:53 12,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Development cycles that make half the studio redundant towards the end of a game's development. Recruitment is pretty fucked too, in general how about not treating developers like disposable commodities?

    So really I just wish the whole industry was more like Valve.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Progguitarist 11 May 2011 13:26:11 10,399 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Just get rid of consoles. That's it really.

    Why the hell would anyone want that?

    He's being cool and edgy. You just don't get it.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 11 May 2011 13:35:08 7,767 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    No more PC gaming. Let the nerds make do with spread sheets and data management systems.

    Sorry, is this some sort of snide dig at fans of Real Time Strategy and Football Manager games?

    er...that would be quite clever wouldn't it? YES. YES IT WAS
  • Bennicus 11 May 2011 13:40:44 44 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would like to get rid of the consumers.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 11 May 2011 13:43:53 7,767 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some_numbers_8366 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    However, my personal problem with the game industry is its judgement of games on Metascore and sales.

    As a serious answer, this is why. It's an industry, which means it's there to sell products to consumers. If consumers base their purchase decisions on meta scores, DLC, gwaffix and other such things then that's what the developer will focus on because that's what will get them the sales.

    Blame the consumer for buying this shit in the first place.

    yeah, people who buy games based on the opinions of people who have played them and what they look like are such cunts. I like to select my games based on the thematic premise on the back of the box. Ohh Aliens you say? Pew pew pew? Oh yes. OH YES INDEED.
  • MetalDog 11 May 2011 13:46:48 23,708 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Less punishment for legitimate buyers in the name of anti-piracy. Less unnecessary personal data gathering. Less fucking account making.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • Gambit1977 11 May 2011 13:50:09 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Patches.
    Just release a game when it's finished and it'll do better. These days word of mouth means a lot. Would you buy the laggy mess or the stable game? The patch in some circumstances comes far too late as everyone moves on.
  • Venkman90 11 May 2011 13:51:23 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dedicate time and money to genres people seem to think we don't want any more, such as:

    Deep, long WRPG's such as Baldurs Gate 2, keep them isometric and semi turn based but using current tech.

    Turn based strategy's.

    Tactical Shooters such as Rainbow Six and SWAT 4 with actual tactics and no crappy plots.

    Generally there is too much "consumers want this" in the current industry and it's usually based on the lowest common denominator GAME customer demographic. No need to spend millions on these kinds of games either.
  • Gambit1977 11 May 2011 13:52:31 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Dedicate time and money to genres people seem to think we don't want any more, such as:

    Deep, long WRPG's such as Baldurs Gate 2, keep them isometric and semi turn based but using current tech.

    Turn based strategy's.

    Tactical Shooters such as Rainbow Six and SWAT 4 with actual tactics and no crappy plots.

    Generally there is too much "consumers want this" in the current industry and it's usually based on the lowest common denominator GAME customer demographic. No need to spend millions on these kinds of games either.
    Rainbow Six is the perfect example of a game that could be amazing.
  • kalel 11 May 2011 13:56:49 86,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally speaking I would like less focus on online MP, particularly if it's at the expense of a meaningful SP game.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2011 13:56:49
    I'd like to see console games return.
  • CharlieStCloud 11 May 2011 14:02:04 5,016 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All I want for Christm...

    Ahem, excuse me... all I would like is for game consoles to be a games console.

    All this Facebook, Sky, Twitter and Zune bobbins can disappear for all I care; that is what a PC or Mac is for.
  • RunningMan 11 May 2011 14:08:38 2,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The ability to return broken buggy games, fallout NV I'm looking at you.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 May 2011 14:15:15 35,421 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Just get rid of consoles. That's it really.
    Fuck that, I like more than 3 genres.

    You don't even like 3 games, so how you can like more than 3 genres? :p
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 May 2011 14:16:20 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Some_numbers_8366 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    However, my personal problem with the game industry is its judgement of games on Metascore and sales.

    As a serious answer, this is why. It's an industry, which means it's there to sell products to consumers. If consumers base their purchase decisions on meta scores, DLC, gwaffix and other such things then that's what the developer will focus on because that's what will get them the sales.

    Blame the consumer for buying this shit in the first place.

    yeah, people who buy games based on the opinions of people who have played them and what they look like are such cunts. I like to select my games based on the thematic premise on the back of the box. Ohh Aliens you say? Pew pew pew? Oh yes. OH YES INDEED.

    My response to that? :

    THANK FUCK that i ignored pretty much every review of Alpha Protocol. The word of mouth here on the EG forum was too hard to ignore and now AP is one of the best games ive played this generation.

    Which reminds me : i'd also like to see better reviews - less focus on negative aspects of games and more focus on the positive. *COUGH*edge*COUGH*.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • Genji 11 May 2011 14:22:15 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's nothing I can change, because I'm not in the games industry. There's a few things that I want changed, though.

    Bringing back chunky paper manuals, for one. Screw the trees, I want my stat tables in PAPER FORMAT, damnit!
  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply