Just remembered another reason why I hate Nintendo - the stars system Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• EMarkM 11 May 2011 20:57:09 3,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not read the whole thread yet, but the thing that's annoyed me most about the points system is that, for the last two or three games I have tried to register, the codes error as if someone has already entered them (the message doesn't say "expired" - I can't remember the detail now, but it's definitely something that makes me think that someone somewhere is just trying random strings until they get a hit).

I've largely given up with the system.
  • Raiko101 11 May 2011 21:05:05 6,720 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ^ Heard that complaint fairly often since the 3DS launched.

As for the points system, the expiration stuff might be annoying, but its still better than nothing. I've bought Wii points as soon as I could afford them and they have funded 3 decent Wiiware games. I'm chuffed to be honest. Would love a similar system on the 360.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 11 May 2011 21:55:52 24,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still think it's great for small stuff. If you want a few free Wii points, a small Mario toy, or some game music it's fantastic. I got a lovely 25th Anniversary Coin recently.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• famous_roy 18 Jun 2011 12:30:43 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Feck, on 6000pts but for some reason my last 4 codes (all GC games) aren't validating.

Odd as my GC GBA player validated no prob. Really want that SNES controller, ah well, by the time I buy four more Nintendo games I doubt it will still be there...

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• DFawkes 18 Jun 2011 12:54:41 24,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately they do lapse, even if you don't put them in. It's almost random which ones lapse and which don't, but Gamecube sometimes won't work.

I might have a few codes you can use, as you can't register the same game twice (and I'm bad for trade in, rebuy, trade in...). If you haven't registered own Super Mario 64, Advance Wars DS, or New Super Mario Bros DS then you're free to those famous_roy. Not the best solution, but that SNES controllers is the dogs bollocks and if I can't have it, I can at least try to help you :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• famous_roy 18 Jun 2011 13:23:41 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Unfortunately they do lapse, even if you don't put them in. It's almost random which ones lapse and which don't, but Gamecube sometimes won't work.

I might have a few codes you can use, as you can't register the same game twice (and I'm bad for trade in, rebuy, trade in...). If you haven't registered own Super Mario 64, Advance Wars DS, or New Super Mario Bros DS then you're free to those famous_roy. Not the best solution, but that SNES controllers is the dogs bollocks and if I can't have it, I can at least try to help you :)

Cheers man, that would be amazing! Brain training DS, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario 2 and F-Zero GX all failed unfortunately, could be something to do with the window they were all released in? Was nice going through the old GC collection actually, some fine, fine games were released on that console.

Anyway, really appreciate that Fawkes, will document and review the pad if I get there :D

• DFawkes 18 Jun 2011 13:26:28 24,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I shall PM once I've enjoyed the pleasure of scratching off the silver stuff :)

• chasejamie 18 Jun 2011 13:32:23 817 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm desperate for the SNES wii classic controller for 7000. Have 3000 just now. Used to have 18000 before the first star points wipe that were never used :(
  • famous_roy 18 Jun 2011 13:35:07 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I scratched 24 of the bad boys today, took a fair while to claim the 18 that worked! There were more as well like Mario Galaxy and Resi 4 that I just missed by a month or two. Had I done this in Feb I would have been inundated with points!

Great way to spend a Saturday, my thumb looks like it's been frozen in carbonite.

UPDATE: After that generous offering from DFawkes I'm up to 6700pts, might hoover up a couple cheap 3DS games to top up to 7000.

Bit of a long shot by my gf's brother works at Game and may have some spare codes going, any surplus to requirement codes I get hold of I'll post here :)

• elvenscroll 18 Jun 2011 18:19:29 1,463 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Roy, I have unused codes for Zelda Spirit tracks and twilight princess on the Wii. Any use to you?

Xbox Live/PSN - Chipworm

• famous_roy 18 Jun 2011 18:34:10 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That would be awesome dude, I think that would actually cover it! I you wouldn't mind DMing me the codes I'd be extremely grateful :)

I have already submitted my own codes for those games, I'm guessing that shouldn't matter.

• elvenscroll 18 Jun 2011 18:40:25 1,463 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure if you can register the same game twice, sure I read somewhere you cant. I shall send them anyway, pass them onto someone else if no good to you.

Xbox Live/PSN - Chipworm

• famous_roy 18 Jun 2011 18:54:55 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think give them to someone else just in case me trying to enter them effs up the codes for good.

I'll get some more I'm sure, thanks for offering them up though!

• Jazzy_Geoff 18 Jun 2011 20:28:55 7,782 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I might have some, will look later don't want the shitty star wipe to claim another a victim
  • famous_roy 18 Jun 2011 21:15:29 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would be very much appreciated, turns out you can't register duplicate products, gits!

• Jazzy_Geoff 18 Jun 2011 23:30:38 7,782 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    well chappy, I've got cards stars from Metroid Trilogy, Mario Galaxy 2 and Wii fit.

Can you use any of them? How many points do you get per game?

I might have more but I've got a bitch of a hangover and obtaining these three was a herculean effort
  • twh104 19 Jun 2011 11:27:45 45 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess I am in the minority being fairly happy with what I have accrued over the last 9 years since the scheme launched with the GameCube. In later years I haven't been as mental about buying all the Nintendo releases, but I have accrued 22185 stars over the time, and how many of them have I redeemed? 21900. How many have I had cancelled? 0.

In this time I bagged the Miyamoto-Signed Mario Poster, the GC Games Starfox Assault and The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition, the right to buy the Nintendo DS VIP pack in 2005, and 2,900 Wii Points.

• famous_roy 19 Jun 2011 11:35:27 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    well chappy, I've got cards stars from Metroid Trilogy, Mario Galaxy 2 and Wii fit.

Can you use any of them? How many points do you get per game?

I might have more but I've got a bitch of a hangover and obtaining these three was a herculean effort

The Metroid Trilogy one would be great, used the others unfortunately! You get 250pts per game, although some are 200pts randomly...

Cheers for that!

• Jazzy_Geoff 19 Jun 2011 12:21:24 7,782 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll pm you later. Does this mean you're only fifty short? I'm sure I must have some more somewhere.
  • famous_roy 19 Jun 2011 12:24:57 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha yep! Really don't worry too much about the last 50, if I can't find em I'll pick up a cheap 3DS game or something, everyone has been more than generous on here!

• DFawkes 19 Jun 2011 13:32:38 24,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Found one last one! Metroid Prime trilogy any good for you?

EDIT: You can also claim stars for downloaded WiiWare, go to Club Nintendo > My Account, then See all registered games and systems at the bottom. Any WiiWare/Virtual Console games should be there with a Claim 50 Stars for the Download button. Hopefully you'll have at least one there :)

• RyanDS 19 Jun 2011 14:55:46 9,860 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Question. I don't have a DSI, only a 3Ds. Can I use my 2000 stars to buy 400 points to buy DSI games then transfer them to 3DS? ie like PSN can I buy online rather than needing a DSI?
  • DFawkes 19 Jun 2011 16:42:09 24,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Afraid not, you'll need a DSi to buy them. There isn't a web store or similar, unfortunately.

• Jazzy_Geoff 19 Jun 2011 17:33:09 7,782 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Roy, did that code work? Where does the totaliser currently stand at?

• famous_roy 19 Jun 2011 17:41:54 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey Geoff, sorry I was afk for the last few hours.

6950, so very very close!

@Dfawkes Jazzy_Geoff gave me the MPT code (I actually have the game myself but lent it to a friend) thanks anyway!

I've downloaded tons of WiiWare and VC stuff, TONS. Must be well over a dozen VC titles, Bit Trip, Cave Story. Problem is I only registered with Club Nintendo the other day :(

Reckon I can still access em somehow?

• DFawkes 20 Jun 2011 01:27:00 24,097 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, but any paid download seems eligible. Maybe grab a SNES game? Then get the points, and the controller to play it with :)

Just make sure you're Wii account is linked before you buy it, obviously. You could get a NES game instead or something.

• famous_roy 20 Jun 2011 08:02:58 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've linked up now and was expecting to see all my previous purchases tally up. Nope, hasn't happened :(

I have 1600 wii pts from god knows when, might pick up Chrono trigger again despite having the DS version, I'm so bloody weak for that game!

Cheers or the tips Fawkes, hopefully the big 7k will be hit this morning!

• famous_roy 20 Jun 2011 12:42:34 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quick update:

So I bought Secret of Mana on VC and nabbed the last 50pts needed for the SNES classic controller!

Thanks to DFawkes, elvenscroll and Jazzy_Geoff for kindly helping me out with extra points, the controller shall be here within... 8 weeks?!

I'll do some snaps when it arrives, really quite excited about it. Cheers again guys!

• Jazzy_Geoff 20 Jun 2011 12:44:20 7,782 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great stuff!

Look forward to the review in er....8 weeks (??!).

Also tempted by SoM now
  • famous_roy 20 Jun 2011 12:45:59 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah it was between Chrono Trigger, which I've finished 3 times on other platforms, SoM and Mario RPG. Went for SoM as I haven't ever finished it and apparently it has local multi, not going to play it till the controller arrives though!

• Page

of 9 First / Last