X: Rebirth

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • teh_MBK 7 May 2011 15:26:38 197 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, just looking through the Witcher 2 thread and someone posted that they were upgrading their PC for it, DX:HR and X: Rebirth. Well, needless to say X: Rebirth passed me by and it is apparently slated for Q4 2011!

Doesn't seem to be a lot of info yet, but here's a few links:

Official site: http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/info_en.php
    1080p teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0&feature=player_embedded
    Teeny-tiny interview: http://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201104_44_xr_news.html

Going by what was said in the interview, we can definitely expect some changes. Can't wait to hear more about this.
  • Jetset_UK 7 May 2011 15:40:57 3,565 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks interedting, I love a good space game me.
  • WrongShui 7 May 2011 16:01:05 6,619 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw this on RPS a few weeks ago, looks pretty.

I really want to enjoy the X series, but I can never get into them.

Hopefully the changes in Rebirth will shunt it into a more Elite/Privateer form I can get on with.
  • bad09 7 May 2011 16:05:12 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oooh that teaser looks nice. Is this another MMO or a decent single player game? It seems all the space games are MMOs these days and I'm dying for some decent single player space fun!

If this isn't an MMO I might be interested.
  • teh_MBK 7 May 2011 20:01:27 197 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Single player, unless they've really changed direction. If your after an awesome space sim now, X3: Terran Conflict is last instalment. I'd describe it a lot like single player EVE, except you have direct control of your ship (strafing, left click to shot lazors etc) making it a lot more engaging (at least for me) and intense.

Issue with the older X games is that they have a MASSIVE learning curve. I actually wont be too disappointed if they take the series a little more mainstream, although I thoroughly enjoyed X3:Terran Conflict, I don't seem to be able to find the time these days. Something I can jump into, play for a couple of hours and make more significant progression would be nice.
  • bad09 8 May 2011 08:00:49 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers teh_MBK, I might look at X3: TC in the meantime.

After some research it seems the X games are more strategy games than straight Xwing type space shooters which is disappointing, but they sure look fun so I'm probably gonna pick a couple up, Space is always awesome!
  • Dirtbox 8 May 2011 08:06:19 78,209 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They don't have to be strategic, they're pretty open, sandboxy type affairs. You can play it as a shooter, bounty hunter type game if you prefer.

They're a pretty daunting at first, but not completely impenetrable.

The only think you can be absolutely sure of is awful voice acting.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• bad09 8 May 2011 08:26:59 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice on DB sounds great especially being a bounty hunter, that is an instant win for me!

• Ged42 8 May 2011 08:38:19 7,732 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I while back I had a go at X2, but gave up because it a small dent on your ship costs thousands of credits to repair, making all combat missions not worth the credits you earn and I could never afford anything above the basic food trading items so it would take hundreds of trips to get enough for repairs.

I really like space games though so I hoping that they'll make this new X, well a bit easier.
  • magicpanda 8 May 2011 09:31:05 13,366 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The X games are brilliant once you get past the learning curve and the shit at the start.

I gave myself a few million for a military transport, a decent fighter and a simple station and had a blast after that.

It's like mount and blade, you have to wade through shit to get to the pure gaming gold.
  • Garfy 4 Oct 2011 13:47:06 683 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lots of new game details on the egosoft forums, if they can pull off the customizeable stations and ships it should be awesome.
  • orpheus 7 Oct 2011 09:45:32 1,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    High hopes for this, Ego are pretty decent for post release support too so I'm sure it'll get some decent content patches etc like Terran Conflict did.

Be interesting to see how the modders adapt to all the new stuff too, afaik Xtended-Terran Conflict is still in beta?
  • Scimarad 7 Oct 2011 09:48:14 8,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thinking about it, this is probably the game I am most looking forward to. Something I quite surprised about, actually.

I love the way you can eject and weld your ship back together in X3:TC!
  • Rusty_M 9 Oct 2011 14:30:21 4,691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's great, and saves a lot of money, but my god it takes forever.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• spamdangled 9 Oct 2011 14:45:15 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is this still down for a release this year? Seem unlikely given how quiet they've been.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• orpheus 9 Oct 2011 16:01:07 1,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still Q4 2011 as far as I know, no changes or delays have been announced.
  • PenguinJim 9 Oct 2011 16:10:40 5,865 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    It's great, and saves a lot of money, but my god it takes forever.
    I'm sure I read a guide where it recommended resting something on your 'weld' key/button and leaving the PC alone for ten minutes. Imagine being so tight with credits in a single-player game. :D

Although if Rebirth comes to consoles they'll probably change it to a QTE anyway. Which could be interesting! Hmmm... I wrote that intending to be snarky, but now I want it.
  • spamdangled 9 Oct 2011 16:15:02 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Would the X series even work on consoles? I would have thought the sheer amount of buttons would make it impossible to work on a controller.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Scimarad 10 Oct 2011 07:56:34 8,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There aren't really a huge amount of essential buttons TBH. Most of the 'complicated stuff' is done through menus. I've not tried playing TC with 360 pad yet (beyond seeing if it would work) but I might have to see if it's possible to map everything.

You could have aim on one stick, strafe on the other, shoulder buttons for roll and the triggers for guns and missiles. That leaves you with the Dpad and the face buttons for...er...everything else;)

I think the real issue might be keeping track of all the crap going on across the universe.
  • PenguinJim 10 Oct 2011 11:47:19 5,865 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    There aren't really a huge amount of essential buttons TBH. Most of the 'complicated stuff' is done through menus. I've not tried playing TC with 360 pad yet (beyond seeing if it would work) but I might have to see if it's possible to map everything.
    I agree that it could be possible (maybe using d-pad to navigate through a lot of functions via onscreen menu) but I think it would have to be implemented into the game, rather than simply mapping current keyboard functions onto a pad. While TC is able to let you navigate around a lot of menus using the cursor keys, that does seem to be just a placeholder for newbies until they've learned the direct keyboard shortcut (hence the appropriate key being written next to the function).

I imagine mapping the cursor keys to d-pad (for menus), confirm to A, cancel to B, and SETA to Back would be vaguely workable (using 360 pad as the example). Clicking a stick to change to/from mouselook.

But then, if they re-work the menu system to be fully operable for a pad, that could compromise the controls on keyb/mouse... I don't know! I just hope they don't dismiss a new control system out of hand.
  • orpheus 10 Oct 2011 14:51:26 1,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I use an XBOX Wired controller for both Reunion & TC, works fine for me. Just have my ship controls on it, strafe etc and do everything else via menus. Start/DPad access to the menus isn't inconceivable imo. Seriously doubt consoles would cope with the scale of the economy etc though, I'd be more concerned with that side of things - porting controls could be easy enough, you'd just have a massive amount of menus, which in itself could be quite off-putting to your average console bod.

I think there's going to be quite a few unexpected changes with this one. The reworking of capitals, addition of destructible subsystems, limited to a single (upgradable) ship and doing most of the work via remote drones... going to be quite a different beast to the series we've come to know.
  • Scimarad 10 Oct 2011 18:24:19 8,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The thing I'm really interested to see is this 'highways and superhighways' thing they mention for travelling long distances. If there's one thing I'm not a fan of in the X games (well, based on X2, Reunion and TC) it's the sector system. You jump into a system and it's basically just a little area with some stations and maybe some asteroids in it.

I much prefer the way they did things in Frontier or I-War 2 where you could actually fly around the whole solar system if you wanted. Just hit the interplanetary drive and whooosh! Off you go!

Of course, you could land on planets as well in Frontier...
  • Adamical 14 Apr 2013 17:07:43 314 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Crikey, isn't this game out yet?! Talk about delays.

Just checked the official site/forums and there's still no release date.

It's looking pretty great, though.
  • Garfy 8 Aug 2013 20:33:32 683 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Holy Shit!

Out Nov 15!
  • RedSparrows 8 Aug 2013 20:39:15 22,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow. Looks awesome. Hope it's not utterly sterile, though ^^
  • WrongShui 8 Aug 2013 20:41:53 6,619 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm somewhat excited about this. Only somewhat because in the previous games getting the bigger more powerful ships and factory complexes took a rather long time.

Still, good time for space sim fans, a lot of games coming out for us!
  • Chopsen 8 Aug 2013 20:42:48 15,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Holy shit indeed.

That looks amazing but:

1. There is no way my PC is ever going to be able to run this.

2. There is no way that I am ever going to have enough time to ever even scratch the surface.

I'm still getting.
  • Rusty_M 8 Aug 2013 21:32:44 4,691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's still alive? Cool!
    Edit: watched the video. The space scenes made me drool, but the interior ones made me puke.

I'm going to spend forever on this and get absolutely nowhere because I never have a clue in these games.

Edited by Rusty_M at 21:38:30 08-08-2013

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous