Raspberry Pi Page 5

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Dirtbox 1 Mar 2012 00:56:59 76,329 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first batch is just to fund the manufacture of more, I'm happy to wait.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RobAnybody 1 Mar 2012 14:56:21 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The cynic within me thinks that this is all just a marketing ploy and that this 'bargain' just won't last. Either the people running the company will start to increase the prices, lose interest and give little back, or some money hungry accountants will take it over and drive it into the ground by racking up the price and screwing the customers.

I applaud the current aim of the RPi, it's an excellent idea, and I wish the company well. I really hope that my cynicism is unfounded.
  • mal 1 Mar 2012 15:43:03 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a not for profit isn't it?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Rhythm 1 Mar 2012 15:47:26 2,375 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Given that the charity was set up purely to give children a chance to own a "$25 PC" everyone would be left looking a little eggy if they now turned face on that.

The original goal was that these things were primarily for kids and that they'd be priced so low as to be as close to disposable as possible. Parents would get nervous about letting an 8 year old program on their 600 laptop or borrowed works machine but the Raspberry Pi is so cheap that even the poorest of households could generally afford to have one or two of them knocking about to be tinkered with.
  • Deleted user 1 March 2012 15:49:45
    So what OSs are people looking at running on these?
  • X201 1 Mar 2012 15:52:38 14,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OS/2 Warp

Edit:
    And for our younger viewers ;)

Edited by X201 at 15:53:12 01-03-2012
  • Deleted user 1 March 2012 15:55:25
    :D
  • RobAnybody 1 Mar 2012 16:43:38 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mal wrote:
    The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a not for profit isn't it?
    That's correct. At the moment.
  • RobAnybody 1 Mar 2012 16:45:26 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Given that the charity was set up purely to give children a chance to own a "$25 PC" everyone would be left looking a little eggy if they now turned face on that.
    Indeed, but the cynic insides me says that where there is massive interest in a product somebody will come along with Dollar signs in their eyes and muscle in, so damaging or ruining said product and pissing off the customers.
  • Rhythm 1 Mar 2012 18:55:14 2,375 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Someone else could come along and compete, sure, but the companies involved are already making a profit (that's being reinvested in the charity) so I can't see why they'd be pushed to move the prices up
  • gammonbanter 1 Mar 2012 19:03:16 1,415 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Part of me thinks a shit old pc would be just as good!?
  • mal 1 Mar 2012 19:13:41 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It seems the Raspberry Pi Foundation is organised as a charitable trust (according to the FT), so strictly speaking I don't see any reason why the trustees couldn't up sticks and incorporate a company and start making profits, thus likely driving up the price, but that would surprise me in the extreme. What's more likely is that this machine spurs other manufacturers into making extremely cheap computers which are more powerful, but not quite this cheap.

Edit: @gammonbanter For very few applications that may be true, but there aren't many shit old PCs that can stream video in 1080p and run the latest builds of XBMC happily IME.

Edited by mal at 19:14:52 01-03-2012

• Deleted user 1 March 2012 19:21:39
    gammonbanter wrote:
    Part of me thinks a shit old pc would be just as good!?
    Part of me thinks you have loads of room and free electricity.
  • Phattso Moderator 1 Mar 2012 19:32:07 12,723 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of the design goals is that it must be recoverable from catastrophic software failure (fucking up the OS, breaking something, etc. etc.). Can't see a "shit old PC" being as low maintenance as just reflashing an SD card with a working OS image.

Also, random old PCs aren't exactly going to offer a stable development platform for people to work against. And, as has been said, HD decoding ain't gonna be on the menu (and let's be honest - a lot of people will be getting this for XBMC quite apart from the educational stuff). Be interested in how many would hook up via HDMI too.

So, in short, "shit old PC" is a shit old idea.
  • Ginger 1 Mar 2012 19:46:02 6,808 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    So what OSs are people looking at running on these?
    Debian. It's what I run whenever I run linux so I don't see why I'd switch to be honest

London open taekwondo champion

• gammonbanter 1 Mar 2012 20:22:50 1,415 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did say PART of me thinks an old pc would be just as good! You could run a linux of a memory card if you wanted - i'm thinking that most peoples interest in their projects wont actually last that long.

The xmbc ideas sound cool, I see people making custom cases and all that.

I'm also a bit frustrated that I can't get one NOW!
  • mcmothercruncher 1 Mar 2012 20:37:19 5,715 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Plus, the fixed platform for everyone to work within is quite fundamental. A shit old PC brings all of the hardware/driver bollocks into the equation.

I'd be amazed if other businesses don't spring up to offer similar low priced all in one computers.

Strawberry Maths anyone?
  • RobAnybody 7 Apr 2012 09:55:54 824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good progress is being made as it's just passed the EMC tests which RS and Farnell insisted on -

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/978
  • mal 7 Apr 2012 17:40:14 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cool beans. And no hardware mods to be made either, which would have meant big delays. Not that anyone expected such a straightforward bit of kit (made of parts that have all already passed emc testing presumably) would fail, but it wasn't worth tempting fate.

• kingcrowbar 9 May 2012 13:02:54 875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got :)

Now need to get another PSU as the shoddy PoS I got for it cracked and fell apart the second time I plugged it in.

/misses English plugs

Edited by kingcrowbar at 13:20:14 09-05-2012
  • DaM 9 May 2012 13:45:31 12,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does it come with a cover? Is it not a bit "live" otherwise?
  • mal 9 May 2012 14:06:56 21,947 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a dev board. It's only 'live' at 5V which is less that one of those 9V batteries that can make your tongue tingle. Still, if you're a fan of syntetic fibers you should be careful of static discharge, and to be honest you should only hold a dev board by the edges anyway. Though to be honest they're pretty hard to fry - I've had my mitts all over proper commercial dev boards which cost many times more than the RPi, but I've not made one go pop yet.

• grey_matters 9 May 2012 14:11:45 3,381 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kingcrowbar
    What are your plans for it? XBMC?
  • DaM 9 May 2012 14:13:35 12,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really want one, despite having no clear use for it :) I'll wait a few months, see what the dev community come up with.
    Mentioned teaching my 8 yr old how to code, he seems quite up for it, but I think the realisation that he's not going create the new Angry Birds in 5 minutes might come quickly!
  • gammonbanter 9 May 2012 16:58:10 1,415 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got two, through work. Let me tell you now. No one will be using it as a cheap web browser, 20 seconds or so to load the broser and bbc homepage. Lynx browser may be the only realistic way of surfing.

Other than that its the apple tv style xbmc, which is fine.

Overall performance in shell / bash is a lot better.

Any ideas you guys for projects!?
  • kingcrowbar 10 May 2012 14:31:00 875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @grey_matters

I've no specific plans for is as i'm no kernel hacker so I wont be sorting out drivers or anything like that. Mainly I got it as a cheap little linux box for the kids to play around along with a stack of prepared sd cards incase they trash it.

Maybe I'll build a homemade internet radio/emulator system/xbmc/network pvr and hook up an old nokia screen for character display. I'll have to stick my arduino onto it too. And a LEGO case to hold it all together.

If android had proper multiuser support i'd probably use my tablet for most of those but it doesn't so I cant just hand it to the kids and let them at it while the damn thing is tied to one google account and in app purchases are everywhere you look.

Picked up a few 8GB sd cards today and a powered usb hub so now I can get to work on it.

I also need to find out how it is going to be with updates to the debian images, as in write a new image each time one is released or if it will be enough to use the normal debian updates plus whatever RPi specific binary gubbins is needed.
  • Chopsen 10 May 2012 14:39:46 15,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An arduinos is something I'd love to get my hands on because I think it'll be really cool that I could make it do all kind of stuff, but in fact I know that if I did get hold of one it'd just sit there and do bugger all because I can't actually think of anything to do with it.

Bit like the RPi, except XBMC/server type combination thingy sounds like an awesome toy.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2012 14:50:00
    So what's the XBMC performance like compared to the ATV2?
  • Chopsen 10 May 2012 15:16:16 15,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the native build is still in beta and not widely available unless you want to compile it yourself.
  • gammonbanter 10 May 2012 20:37:01 1,415 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    So what's the XBMC performance like compared to the ATV2?
    Nearly the same, although the 5v wasn't enough to power the pi and a 2.5 hd.

I have a windows IR remote that I must try and get working with it.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last