The Newsroom Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• glaeken 31 Jul 2012 22:35:20 11,094 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Best thing in the last decade? Maybe they have not had a TV for the last 10 years?
  • graysonavich 31 Jul 2012 22:38:37 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do I need to wait until series 3, a celeb journo tweet and a run on CH4 to make that claim then? :)
  • RMXtreme 31 Jul 2012 23:49:34 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Granted I've only seen the first three episodes, but I thought it was awful.
  • glaeken 1 Aug 2012 09:13:51 11,094 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @graysonavich Well yes you do as based on what's actually been shown so far I don't see how anyone could rate it that highly. I can only guess it really fits with your general political beliefs? It does mine as well but I would only rate it as fairly entertaining so far. Itís not crossed the line yet as something entirely written for a selected audience who already hold certain beliefs ala Michele Moore but I could see it going that way.

It's certainly going to have to improve a metric fuck ton in the next two series for your claim to come true for me.
  • Stickman 1 Aug 2012 09:58:32 29,657 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm with gray (to a point!). Can't think of too many other things that are as 'must watch' for me in recent years. Really enjoying it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• graysonavich 1 Aug 2012 12:23:49 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    6 full length episodes is an entire series in old money. Nearly half the amount of episodes that there's been of internet favourite Spaced. I'm pretty confident you can call it already.
  • Flightrisker 13 Aug 2012 19:18:23 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really feels like it's finding it's feet now. This week's was probably the most solid yet.
  • graysonavich 13 Aug 2012 19:47:44 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maggy is easily my favourite now. Her little "can people still see me now?" thing was uber cute:D
  • M83J01P97 26 Aug 2012 12:45:27 6,534 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just seen this weeks episode from Sky Atlantic.

Absolutely brilliant television.

Thought it was going to be a bit "American, FUCK YEAH!" to begin with, but it really hit home how important and emotional a subject the hunt for Osama was to the American people, and the final few minutes with the actual broadcasting of the news was surprisingly touching.

Such a well written series that seems to get better with each week.

Anyone know how well this is doing in America? Seeing as it's on HBO I'm guessing they won't just cancel is after only one season but I'd hate to see this being given the Studio 60 treatment again.
  • Flightrisker 26 Aug 2012 16:33:05 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Just seen this weeks episode from Sky Atlantic.

Absolutely brilliant television.

Thought it was going to be a bit "American, FUCK YEAH!" to begin with, but it really hit home how important and emotional a subject the hunt for Osama was to the American people, and the final few minutes with the actual broadcasting of the news was surprisingly touching.

Such a well written series that seems to get better with each week.

Anyone know how well this is doing in America? Seeing as it's on HBO I'm guessing they won't just cancel is after only one season but I'd hate to see this being given the Studio 60 treatment again.

Luckily it was already renewed for a second season after ep1 of season 1. No idea how it's fairing rating wise but most reviews seem pretty unfavourable.

Also be a little careful I think the other 2 people that post in here are, with me, watching it in US pace, season finale tonight (ep10).
  • Megapocalypse 27 Aug 2012 22:09:40 5,309 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Last episode was ok. Seemed a bit flat compared to the last couple.

Minor note: For a show thats about a news room making sure it gets its facts right, referring to the riots last year as the 'London austerity riots' seemed a bit ironic.
  • graysonavich 27 Aug 2012 22:14:52 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tott-ing-ham would have been cringe.

Word on the street is that was the final ep of the series?
  • monkehhh 27 Aug 2012 22:19:28 3,267 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @graysonavich Yeah it's finished for now.
  • FatSternKikwi 27 Aug 2012 22:27:54 528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pretty heartwarming stuff.

Even if it is pretty shit at the same time.
  • faux_carnation 28 Aug 2012 23:46:11 9,046 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Last episode was ok. Seemed a bit flat compared to the last couple.

Minor note: For a show thats about a news room making sure it gets its facts right, referring to the riots last year as the 'London austerity riots' seemed a bit ironic.
    They were London austerity riots. What are you calling them?

Anyway I just watched ep10. I won't spoil it for the UK pace people, but it's a fitting finale to the season with plenty of nods to a new season. I've really loved the show and am really sad it's finished for the time being.
  • TheRealBadabing 29 Aug 2012 01:32:50 1,281 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For christ's sake, people seem to want this to be some sort of life-changing event but it's hardly like The West Wing was some kind of documentary.

Sometimes it's just nice to watch something that only challenges your brain if you are a right wing nut-job. Sorkin writes fantasy but it's the perfect escapist fantasy for those of us that despair at the state of politics and the media.

This is a superbly produced, incredibly entertaining, massively preachy slice of entertainment. Mixes very nicely with my Breaking Bads, Wilfreds, Louies, Daily Shows and Colberts.

It's ok to enjoy something that's not challenging or hardcore and I'm looking forward to next season.
  • FatSternKikwi 29 Aug 2012 01:59:36 528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing Well put

Although I do find the preachy nature of it sometimes stops me enjoying it.

but yes perfect TV to escape to for an hour.
  • MightyMouse 29 Aug 2012 02:14:11 1,127 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been renewed. Sure anyone in here probably knows this but hasn't been said/I've missed it. The 'London austerity riots' thing did seem a bit weird even if it was informal. I mean, that's an interpretation as to their cause rather than straight factual reporting (even if I'd agree that high unemployment and poor outlook was a big contributing factor, that requires more evidence).
  • MightyMouse 29 Aug 2012 02:14:17 1,127 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MightyMouse 29 Aug 2012 02:18:58 1,127 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing

Definitely agree, it's great television. That said, their analysis of real stories is presented as deep when it's often facile.
  • Megapocalypse 29 Aug 2012 08:03:36 5,309 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:

They were London austerity riots. What are you calling them?
    not really the thread for it but those riots had nothing to do with austerity and a quick look at any uk news site would have told them that on the night.

Side note: Alison Pill (Maggy) needs a role in Game of Thrones. Great pair of tits and they clearly aren't coming out in this.
  • RedSparrows 29 Aug 2012 09:14:57 22,004 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure a news headline on the night is the place for analysis, but ho hum.
  • glaeken 14 Mar 2013 12:25:54 11,094 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think I will bother with the second series. I had really had enough of it by the end of the first one. I really hated the clicky way the dialog was written and it just grated on me more and more the further I got into the series.
  • President_Weasel 14 Mar 2013 13:04:53 8,951 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At the end of the day it's just TV news; we have an internet now. At least The Wire had 4 excellent series before it lost its way and went all "NEWSPAPERS ARE TOTALLY IMPORTANT YOU GUYS", this is like starting The Wire with disappointing season 5 (but not as good, because even the worst series of the Wire wasn't all preachy and Sorkin-y).

That said, I like watching Jeff Daniels playing someone with a bit of gravitas, and I do have a soft spot for Alison Pill. I'll probably watch season 2 while simultaneously anjoying and jeering at it.
  • M83J01P97 14 Mar 2013 13:21:26 6,534 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it was a brilliant series, but it didn't help my anger towards the cancellation of Studio 60, which I think could have blossomed into a brilliant show given the chance.

Season 2 of The Newsroom is apparently going to tackle the gun laws in America, so that should be really interesting to watch if done right.
  • craigy Staff 14 Mar 2013 16:03:28 7,508 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dunno, in retrospect Studio 60 ended at the right time. All of the character arcs were tied in a neat little bow, and everyone got their happy endings. Dragging it on would have diminished the energy that series had.
  • warlockuk 14 Mar 2013 16:08:47 19,133 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...in before the series is locked?

With Studio 60 they were sorta forced to tie the arcs up; some of the dragging was due to the writers' strike I think. Could've been so much better, but I'm happy we at least got what we did. Like Firefly.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• teamHAM 14 Mar 2013 16:15:19 2,748 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    People are talking about this like it has been cancelled. Has it?

Last I heard it was starting a second season in the summer..

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• TheSaint 14 Mar 2013 16:20:48 14,199 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm just intrigued by this 'douchebag' mass audience that avid Sun reader Mr Pappa thinks the show is dumbed down for.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last