The Newsroom

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Flightrisker 2 May 2011 23:07:50 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shaping up nicely. Jeff Daniels as the lead and now it seems Marisa Tomei is out (never liked her to be honest) and Emily Mortimer is in. Tomei probably failed her talkingreallyfasttest.

As a big fan of West Wing, Studio 60 and selected scenes from Sports Night I can't wait.

• Tom_Servo 2 May 2011 23:09:40 15,592 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    As a big fan of West Wing, Studio 60 and selected scenes from Sports Night I can't wait.

The ones with the laugh track, yeah?
  • Flightrisker 2 May 2011 23:13:03 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. hahahahahahah
  • faux_carnation 2 May 2011 23:14:49 8,514 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just rewatched Studio 60, brilliant stuff (apart from the point where it becomes really obvious that he's cramming the whole story-arc into about 3 episodes), so very excited about this.

Is Sports Night worth importing?
  • Flightrisker 2 May 2011 23:19:12 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not really. 2nd season better as they lost the laugh track. Only worth a look as a completist piece. Its ok but like eating the dinner that got burned and thrown in the bin that helped teach him how to make the 7 course meal of West Wing. Now I'm hungry.
  • speedofthepuma 2 May 2011 23:31:25 13,246 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved, Studio 60 and I'm still annoyed it was cancelled. Very excited about this.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Flightrisker 25 Sep 2011 16:58:51 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just saw this on Wiki: "The logline is: "Together they set out on a patriotic and quixotic mission to do the news well in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal entanglements.""

Somewhere Kalel just threw up. :)
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Sep 2011 23:14:30 21,304 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not called that anymore I don't think? Can't remember what it's new name is though.

Or maybe I'm talking rubbish.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• CosmicFuzz 25 Sep 2011 23:26:23 21,304 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm talking rubbish.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• terminalterror 26 Sep 2011 15:24:57 18,937 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Just rewatched Studio 60, brilliant stuff (apart from the point where it becomes really obvious that he's cramming the whole story-arc into about 3 episodes), so very excited about this.

Is Sports Night worth importing?

The laughter track is annoying, but it isn't so terrible that it renders it unwatchable.

Whilst not as great as The West Wing overall, I think I actually preferred Sports Night to Studio 60 (which I still really enjoyed).

Depends how much it costs to import it.
  • Flightrisker 26 Sep 2011 15:44:18 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CF: I've heard that that won't be the final title but I don't think a new one is announced yet.
  • Flightrisker 11 Dec 2011 20:28:09 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Officially renamed now to the less exciting but easier to use in a sentence "Newsroom".
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 2 Apr 2012 13:00:48 7,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trailer is out (how often do TV shows get trailers?):

Lookin' good. Seems to have a few things in common with Sports Night, which is aaaalright with me.
  • figgis 2 Apr 2012 13:27:37 7,382 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like a typical Sorkin cleverer-than-thou speech at the start, but will watch it. Jeff Daniels seems well suited to the role.
  • Trowel 2 Apr 2012 13:34:26 16,882 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yosemite is nice this time of year.
  • President_Weasel 2 Apr 2012 14:11:08 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It does seem rather like "Aaron Sorkin's Greatest Hits", (let's take the televisiony, behind-the-scenesy bits from Studio 60, and make it about the news so we can throw in some West-Wingy politicky bits) but I'll watch a couple of episodes and see.
  • Trowel 2 Apr 2012 16:08:17 16,882 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Republican angle makes it sound as though he will at least be taking the character off in a different direction to some of the extreme left-wing Liberals that plagued his other shows at times. Let's face it, Arnie Vinnick was one of the reasons the West Wing finished so strongly.
  • Flightrisker 2 Apr 2012 18:45:08 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sold.

Can a mod change the ol' title?

Preferred Newsroom to The Newsroom though. Drop the "The" Aaron.
  • Flightrisker 3 Apr 2012 15:14:05 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Sold.

Can a mod change the ol' title?

Preferred Newsroom to The Newsroom though. Drop the "The" Aaron.
    Thanks!
  • freedumb 3 Apr 2012 15:50:36 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let me guess: it'll probably have lots and lots of snappy dialogue with people talking at incredibly fast speeds and bouncing off each other with quick comebacks and sharp retorts with some doing walk and talks down corridors towards the camera and away from the camera?

I've only skimmed through bits of the West Wing, so I don't really have an opinion on it but I stuck through with Studio 60, don't really know why, probably because it had flashes of goodness but in the end wasn't really worth the effort put in :confused:

One of the reasons I might take a look at this new show is that Borgen did the newsroom/investigative political journalism angle quite well, so i'm a little bit intrigued. Just a bit, if it ends up like Studio 60 I'll probably bail out sooner.

Edited by freedumb at 15:57:15 03-04-2012
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 3 Apr 2012 15:57:04 7,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Walk-and-talks probably won't be a directorial staple, as Thomas Schlamme isn't directing the show.
  • Flightrisker 3 Apr 2012 16:08:41 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    freedumb wrote:
    Let me guess: it'll probably have lots and lots of snappy dialogue with people talking at incredibly fast speeds and bouncing off each other with quick comebacks and sharp retorts with some doing walk and talks down corridors towards the camera and away from the camera?
    You say that like it's a bad thing...
  • freedumb 3 Apr 2012 16:11:10 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I exaggerate, it wasn't a major problem just a mildly amusing one at times; it's not like it doesn't happen in real life high pressure situations and workplaces or anywhere else, just the frequency within his shows saw it gather attention, and get parodied.

Sorkin's a good sport anyway when it comes to spoofing the concept, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqXdG0bPeYA

Edited by freedumb at 16:12:37 03-04-2012
  • Flightrisker 3 Apr 2012 16:27:03 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Walk-and-talks probably won't be a directorial staple, as Thomas Schlamme isn't directing the show.
    Schlamme's last three shows have all been cancelled (Studio, Mr Sunshine, Pan-Am). Shame, I love the dizzying walking talking scenes.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 3 Apr 2012 16:36:47 7,386 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr Sunshine sucked the big one :D
  • Razz 3 Apr 2012 16:53:03 60,028 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pan am was cancelled?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Flightrisker 3 Apr 2012 21:24:28 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was cancelled, maybe not so.

And yeah I really wanted Mr. Sunshine to even just be alright as it pretty much had half of S60 in it but god it was so crap.
  • Dougs 3 Apr 2012 21:28:29 64,945 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trailer looks good I think.† Hopefully will come to Sky Atlantic sharpish.
  • Flightrisker 17 Jun 2012 14:04:36 18,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very good interview with Sorkin

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/aaron-sorkin-newsroom-interview.html

He's very honest about his own work. I'm really looking for ward to Newsroom now. Some of the better quotes I've popped below for those of you with ADD.

I have no political sophistication or media sophistication, so if I was talking to Howard Kurtz or you, you could easily dismantle whatever argument Iím going to make. It is a laymanís amateur argument. Oftentimes, I write about people who are smarter than I am and know more than I do, and I am able to do that simply by being tutored almost phonetically, sometimes. Iím used to it. I grew up surrounded by people who are smarter than I am, and I like the sound of intelligence. I can imitate that sound, but itís not organic. Itís not intelligence. Itís my phonetic ability to imitate the sound of intelligence.

When youíre writing this kind of show (Studio 60), itís unforgiving. Thereís just a much narrower margin of error than if youíre starting off with a dead body and ending up with the person who did it. If youíre going to be as high-handed with your premise and conceit as I am with these shows, you have to write it really well. And I didnít with ≠Studio 60. I didnít, frankly, with Sports Night either.
    You have to write when youíre not writing well. I wrote 88 ≠episodes of The West Wing. One of them is going to be your 88th best. And Iím not good enough for my 88th best to be very good.

On Post-Sorkin West Wing:
    I stuck the tape in, and I did not get even 60 seconds into it before I had to shut it off. Not because it was great, not because it was less than great, but because it was like watching somebody make out with my girlfriend. Other than those 60 seconds, which I canít even really recall, Iíve never seen seasons five through seven. I missed it terribly when I left. But it was the right thing to do.
    Also mentioned some interesting things about why being on HBO is so much better as a writer, some I knew others I hadn't really considered:
    The stuff that I write doesnít ≠really work well as background music. You want people to watch it the way theyíd watch a movie or a play. HBOís audience is already conditioned to watch things that way.
    And there are no commercial breaks, so youíre not, every eight minutes, building to a sort of phony climax. Fewer episodes per season, so youíre able to do a better job on each episode. Thereís another advantage that nobody ever talks about. It doesnít sound like a big deal, but it is. And itís end credits. Why are end credits a big deal? Because no matter what you write, the last moment is meant to resonate. Finally: All ten episodes will be completely finished before the first one airs. And whatís good about that is, youíre in the middle of a season, and you start hearing from everyone from your neighbor to your mother to critics, people who write about television. And you find yourself starting to write to change their minds. You canít do that hereóyouíre all in. There canít be any changes based on what anybody thinks.
    On why he's not on Twitter:
    I just donít think I can do anything in 140 characters.
    You don't say :)
  • Trowel 17 Jun 2012 15:37:56 16,882 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers, interesting read - currently going through the West Wing for the fourth time, finished season 3 a couple of nights ago so running out of Sorkin...
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous