PSN & Qriocity to resume service this week

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 06:55:50
    Press Release: Some PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services to be Available This Week

+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

SOME PLAYSTATION®NETWORK AND QRIOCITY™ SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
    Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally;
    System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
    Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    Access to account management and password reset
    Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    PlayStation®Home
    Friends List
    Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
    Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
    Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
    Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
    While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:

Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.

All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
    Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com. or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

So free content and free PS+/Qriocity for 30 days for losing your identity.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 07:21:58
    Quite a boring live feed of Kaz apologising and getting grilled:

http://www.justin.tv/lordkat#/w/1146244944/6
  • Gambit1977 1 May 2011 07:46:52 9,541 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    Quite a boring live feed of Kaz apologising and getting grilled:

http://www.justin.tv/lordkat#/w/1146244944/6
    Tell boristheplant!
    He's obsessed with them 'not apologising' :D
  • Kosmoz 1 May 2011 09:14:28 7,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Free stuff? Wonder if it will be any good.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• BartonFink 1 May 2011 09:17:24 34,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Free PSN+ being a little cynical but isn't that more like a lure to rope in more people into their paid service?
    Free PSN games would be more along the right lines methinks.
  • muttler 1 May 2011 09:32:38 3,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It does say there are additional 'welcome back' entertainment and service offerings.

Probably a new area in Home!
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 09:36:01
    I imagine (hope) there'll be free games/DLC. Never subscribed to PS+ but from what I've heard it's more of a rental service, so yeah, not that enthralled.
  • mcmothercruncher 1 May 2011 09:48:02 5,704 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And just how slow is the network going to be due to all the extra cogs and wheels and security geese the data's now passing through?

I know, I know, cake and eat it. Can't have it etc.
    Really not interested in plus given you're essentially renting, as Kenshin mentioned. I'd be more impressed with an offer of free help for those who may have suffered identity theft.

• BartonFink 1 May 2011 09:59:50 34,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What like new birth cert, name, passports, bank accounts, etc.
    They are prolly quite happy with the ones they already have ;)
  • Cappy 1 May 2011 11:31:42 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Breaking Sony's security again would be instant hacker fame so I'd imagine they have gone overboard a bit since a lot of hackers will be probing for weaknesses once PSN is back up.
  • BartonFink 1 May 2011 11:33:16 34,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That would be hilarious in a perverse sort of way. Cannot see it happening though I do think they will try though.
  • Widge Moderator 1 May 2011 11:39:10 12,583 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought they might stick PSN in there. This might actually ensnare people into ongoing subscriptions! I was going to get it for NGP but if I pick up anything good in this month, will probably stick with it.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Retroid Moderator 1 May 2011 11:42:14 44,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    I imagine (hope) there'll be free games/DLC. Never subscribed to PS+ but from what I've heard it's more of a rental service, so yeah, not that enthralled.
    Yeah, the games are pretty much rentals; yours for as long as your PSN+ sub lasts, revoked once it runs out. Themes are yours to keep, and of course anything bought with a discount isn't affected.

It's decent enough for what it is, really. Means I can share the Sonic games with my sister-in-law, too! :)
  • Machetazo 1 May 2011 12:14:45 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any on-demand/replays of the conference? Why wasn't it posted to the official blogs? The wall of text, it's a wall of text.
  • Cappy 1 May 2011 12:39:02 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    Yeah, the games are pretty much rentals; yours for as long as your PSN+ sub lasts, revoked once it runs out. Themes are yours to keep, and of course anything bought with a discount isn't affected.

It's decent enough for what it is, really. Means I can share the Sonic games with my sister-in-law, too! :)

You keep DLC (I think) I've heard people mention that they could still use Fallout 3 DLC without PSN+.

Though that may be a quirk of Fallout 3, I've seen 360 owners requesting loans of the GOTY edition because once you install it you can go back to using the vanilla Fallout 3 disc.
  • Retroid Moderator 1 May 2011 12:51:48 44,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wasn't sure about DLC. Thought it might be a 'keeper' but didn't want to say for sure.

I bought both the CE & GotY editions of Fallout 3 on 360; the game disks are, so far as I can tell, the same, but come with an additional DVD with the DLC packs and an installer. I flogged my vanilla Fallout to a mate and kept the GotY, loaned him the DLC disk though so we both got the packs :)
  • HyperTails 1 May 2011 14:11:35 63 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Glad that PSN's coming back with super tight security. The PS+ subscription is welcomed too, as i've been pondering over whether to upgrade to it for some time. So now i've got a chance for some 'hands on' with the service, i'll know it its for me.

Good to see that Sony's taking some real steps to regain people's trust. And Kaz Hirai is right about it being damaging to the industry in general, as games get enough bad press as it is, not to mention companies that only make DL games. The 360 fanboys might want to think... oh, sorry, forgot, thinking isn't their strongest point.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 14:31:19
    So you are thinking about rewarding Sony for losing all your data to hackers by signing up for PS+? Haha, fuck that. Glad PSN will be back up, will be glad to get free stuff, but no way I'm signing up for PS+.
  • HyperTails 1 May 2011 14:50:40 63 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    So you are thinking about rewarding Sony for losing all your data to hackers by signing up for PS+? Haha, fuck that. Glad PSN will be back up, will be glad to get free stuff, but no way I'm signing up for PS+.

'Rewarding'? How would I be 'rewarding' Sony if I like what i'm getting and sign up? Yeah, they lost our details. They have also secured the network and have given us a months Plus subscription and some other freebie that hasn't been announced.

Also, why the fuck should it bother you if I sign up or not?
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 15:27:10
    It doesn't bother me at all, I'm just surprised. You're free to do what you want. If you like the service sign up. I see it as rewarding them because you pay them money. I'm pretty sure that's what they're counting on to happen.
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 May 2011 16:21:28 35,171 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Depends what's on offer and if it's an extra hassle to sign up (or even an automatic subscription if you don't cancel in time, which would be extra-ridiculous). What they should do is an automatic PSN+ membership as soon as you log on.
  • HyperTails 1 May 2011 17:11:04 63 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    It doesn't bother me at all, I'm just surprised. You're free to do what you want. If you like the service sign up. I see it as rewarding them because you pay them money. I'm pretty sure that's what they're counting on to happen.

Yeah, I can't argue with you on that one I suppose. They probably are hoping people will upgrade, even though i'd disagree on it being a reward, as they are already set to lose a bomb over this.

However, i'm only going to upgrade if I like what I get. Otherwise, i'm back to the vanilla free service.
  • ElNino9 1 May 2011 17:13:51 13,134 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thing is, all the 'free' games you download with the months free PSN+ won't work when the alloted month is up.

Cunts.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Deleted user 1 May 2011 17:14:53
    @HyperTails Nailed it, the issue of goodwill is just a bonus to encourage people to use PSN again, all that really matters is new security measures and getting the service back up.

I type this as someone who had credit card details on my account. Actually the reason I have it as my online credit card is because when it was scammed in a Post Office the CC company notified me within hours and resolved the issue in 10 minutes. So even if my details are hacked I'm confident it'll have little or no impact on me.

@Kenshin Consider it a free monthly rental of games then along with what ever other content they offer.

My only concern now is having bought a new PS3 Slim after I signed up, can't remember if I first set up my account on my brother's PS3 or my PSP - hopefully the email conformation method is straight forward..
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 18:04:40
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    And just how slow is the network going to be due to all the extra cogs and wheels and security geese the data's now passing through?

Really not interested in plus given you're essentially renting, as Kenshin mentioned. I'd be more impressed with an offer of free help for those who may have suffered identity theft.

Not to mention the likely overload of everyone trying to log in and change their passwords / download whatever tat Sony decide to dangle as a carrot. Melty servers.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 19:09:29
    what a hollow offer. meh is all i can say about ps+! :p
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 23:25:27
    RedPanda wrote:
    mcmothercruncher wrote:

Not to mention the likely overload of everyone trying to log in and change their passwords / download whatever tat Sony decide to dangle as a carrot. Melty servers.

From what I understand they're rolling it out on a region by region by region basis. Hopefully that'll alleviate it a bit.
  • Retroid Moderator 2 May 2011 16:36:46 44,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    Oh Kenshin, you're such an Xbot. **** JOKE ****
  • thedriffter50 2 May 2011 22:55:49 166 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HyperTails wrote:
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    'Rewarding'? How would I be 'rewarding' Sony if I like what i'm getting and sign up? Yeah, they lost our details. They have also secured the network and have given us a months Plus subscription and some other freebie that hasn't been announced.

Also, why the fuck should it bother you if I sign up or not?
    The stuff isn't '' free '' when your paying a subscription for it. Sony is clever even though they are stupid as well. They know how to get mugs to think they are getting free stuff when they aren't really.

No way in hell would I sign up to PSN plus now after this PSN incident.
  • Rauha 2 May 2011 22:57:40 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You're trying too hard.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous