Terraria Page 10

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Dr_Mech 13 Jun 2011 17:40:10 940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alright peeps, got a lot of stuff to give away.
    Including:
    1 Full ninja set.
    1 Full Archeologist set.
    1 Fishbowl.
    1 Wizard hat and Robe.
    A metric buttload of items, weapons and accessories.

So anybody got a server/game I can join to bring you the goodies?

Also got myself the full Tuxedo set (including the Top hat).

I used the time speed up Glitch to get the Ninja stuff and STILL had to wait about an hour of real time to get enough King Slimes to spawn.

Methink he's a little bit too rare.
  • Dazimus 13 Jun 2011 17:44:54 564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any tips to get stuff? I've been on this for 3 hours according to Steam, I've dug down a bit, found the usual copper, some topaz, some cobwebs ... and that's it. Smashing open pots hasn't given me anything except for two health potions.

I'm seeing all of these fancy weapons and gear and it feels like I'm just wasting so much time and not getting anywhere.
  • Dr_Mech 13 Jun 2011 18:02:28 940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The idea is to craft stuff which lets you delve deeper.

the order of progress for basic metal gear goes Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold.

Pots don't give you anything except money, wooden arrows, lesser health potions and bombs.

You will find chests scattered throughout cave systems which will have accessories in them, also scattered thoughtout the caves are heart containers which increase your health (to a maximum of 400).

Once your fully geared up in iron/silver armour and probably about 10 hearts worth get the lenses from Demonic eyes, find a demon altar and craft a suspiscious looking eyeball. Stock up on shurikens (about 300) and lesser health potions (both available from the Merchant, who appears once you've earnt 50 silver and you've built a room for him).

Use the Suspiscious looking eyeball at the start of the night (when the music switches from day to night is the signifier, since it can get pretty dark but still be playing the daytime music) which will summon the first boss, Eye of Cthulu.

Hope that atleast gets you the ball rolling.

If you're in dire need of stoof set up a multiplayer game, PM your IP address and I'll dump some stoff on you BUT you'll basically be skipping straight to the midgame/endgame with the gear I'll be handing out.

This is a handy guide to getting started.

Much like Minecraft or Dwarf Fortress, this is a game where looking at the Wiki carries no shame with it and is infact a must for some parts.
  • JoeBlade 13 Jun 2011 18:56:58 2,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dazimus wrote:
    Any tips to get stuff? I've been on this for 3 hours according to Steam, I've dug down a bit, found the usual copper, some topaz, some cobwebs ... and that's it. Smashing open pots hasn't given me anything except for two health potions.

I'm seeing all of these fancy weapons and gear and it feels like I'm just wasting so much time and not getting anywhere.
    Dr_Mech's advice is sound for starters.
    The map generator mentioned earlier in this thread is a blessing for locating ore, chests and whatnot but it is obviously also extremely spoilerish so it's a personal call. I for one find not knowing what I might run into while digging around more exciting.

Another thing worth knowing: as long as you're mostly hitting dirt blocks rather than stone you've not actually reached the underground yet. Dig downward until you do because the upper dirt layer hardly contains anything (a bit of copper and a few blobs of iron ore) so it's a bit of a waste of time.

For reference, I'm about twice as long into my current game as you are and I've just upgraded to iron armour while my tools are all silver or gold and I've located three or four hearts thusfar. That should give you a rough idea of advancement.
    Not that I did get quite lucky with my first chest and found a huge timesaver of an item in it: the magic mirror, which lets me teleport straight back to my spawn point from anywhere in the world
  • CouldntResist 13 Jun 2011 22:38:37 228 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holy crap this game is moreish. My OCD is really coming into play here. I'm slowly colonising the map by putting torches everywhere and terraforming to make areas that i've explored more easily traversible.

Been playing for hours and hours and i've explored a minute percentage of the map. Playing on small. Can't imagine what the largest map size would be like.
  • SuperBas 14 Jun 2011 21:22:54 1,436 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dazimus wrote:

Look for gold in the ground, craft weapons, find the underground jungle (it's on one of the ends of the map) and grind for better weapons there. I say grind, but it shouldn't take more than an hour.
  • magicpanda 15 Jun 2011 14:59:47 13,004 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WTF is this Maw like thing? Can't seem to interact with it much. I hit it with a hammer and just get hurt. It also glows in the dark slightly.
  • Razz 15 Jun 2011 15:08:07 59,979 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's an Demon's Alter, you use it to make evil stuff, like the "suspicious looking eye", grab 10 lenses to make one. Use the eye only at night, you'll see what happens :0)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Jeepers 15 Jun 2011 15:20:44 13,151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I want this for the Mac so much it makes me sad.
  • magicpanda 15 Jun 2011 15:22:58 13,004 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers Razzle.

No you don't Jeepers, it's digital crack. Stay well away.
  • Jeepers 15 Jun 2011 16:35:54 13,151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    Cheers Razzle.

No you don't Jeepers, it's digital crack. Stay well away.

My crack habit has just started, thanks to some genius who's made a wrapper to run Terraria in OSX:

Woohoo!

The only downside I can see at the moment is that there's no music. Other than that, it's working perfectly for me!
  • magicpanda 15 Jun 2011 18:16:10 13,004 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just had a Blood Moon and all the NPCs just got gibbed. Will they come back or is that it?
  • Ajay 15 Jun 2011 19:47:51 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, they should respawn given a bit of time.
  • ripsa 15 Jun 2011 20:23:59 288 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah Blood Moon is another thing which caused me to shat my pants in this game. I holed up in my house/tower, thinking "It's just a night like any other. Try and get me biatches!" then the zombies opened the doors, and it was time to change my underwear again.
  • Dr_Mech 15 Jun 2011 21:20:46 940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah watch out for the rare but even more deadly Goblin Invasions.

Blood moon ability of opening doors + hard hitting Goblins that come in four distinct yet deal flavours = very dead NPCs.

Got to the stage now were I'm pondering crazy challenges.

So far taken out 2 Eater of Worlds at once and Eater of World and Eye of Cthulu.

Now I'll need multiplayer for this but I reckon I can get 2 Eater of worlds to spawn (one summoned, one through breaking a third Shadow Orb), 1 Eye of Cthulu (summoned) and Skeletron all at the same time.

Would need to build a little hut by the Dungeon, one person summons the Eater of Worlds while the second breaks the third shadow orb, both emergency teleport back to the dungeon entrance, summon Eye of Cthulu then click on the old man to get Skeletron.

Sound mental but I want to see if I can try it, will provide screenshots if I do.
  • Tiger_Walts 16 Jun 2011 10:11:11 16,510 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally after hours and hours in the jungle I managed to get a third vine for my Ivy Whip. Also, I now have a mini-jungle growing near my spawn. I wonder if it starts spawning Jungle mobs if big enough.

Also built a normal mushroom farm. Mushrooms only seem to grow on grass blocks that have no background covering the tile above and have no long grass on them. So you have to pop into your farm every so often to clear it out. With my glowing mushroom farm accessible via a shaft from spawn I have no problems with keeping stocked with potions. In fact, I'm up to my ears in glowing mushrooms, it's the normal ones that take longer to amass.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Dr_Mech 16 Jun 2011 16:36:47 940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well sadly could only take on all 3 at once.

Still won the fight though.

Got a total of 11 gold from defeating all three bosses at once, switched midfight from Muramasa back to Sunfury.
  • Razz 16 Jun 2011 20:58:28 59,979 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's fucking awesome dude! :D

• Sharzam 16 Jun 2011 21:20:11 2,106 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I keep hearing alot about this game, i understand it is basically 2D Minecraft but it looks like a multiplayer platformer/dungeon crawler.

So 2 questions is it perfectly playable and fun on your lonesome and do you need to hop around servers or is just more like here is a level from A to B ?

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Ajay 16 Jun 2011 21:24:58 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's still a heck of a lot of fun solo, as long as you're the sort of player who's happy to not have a game pushing you all the time.

For the second, once you generate a world, it's persistent and open - you can't 'complete' a world, but you can generate as many as you like and hop between them at will. Your character persists across each too, and there's an item that works like a storage chest that you can access the contents of across worlds.
  • JoeBlade 16 Jun 2011 23:15:42 2,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, I just had Eye of Cthulu attack me unprovoked (as in, I didn't summon the bloody thing) and while I was still very, very underpowered. Exciting times.
    Needless to say I died, although I did manage to relieve it of half of its health :p

This game is all sorts of awesome.
  • Dr_Mech 16 Jun 2011 23:39:11 940 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Worst thing I've had when I was about six hours in, ten hearts, in Iron armour from head to two with an Iron sword and an accessory slot full of shackles.

"right think I can take on the Eye of Cthulu...just about ready.."

'You feel an evil presence watching you' message springs up a split second before I click the Suspiscious looking eyeball.

"Ah well doubt two will..OHMYGODTHERESTWOOFTHEM!"
  • Tiger_Walts 17 Jun 2011 09:19:15 16,510 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Almost killed Skeletron by myself, just ran out of night. Finally found that the best tactic I had with the kit I have was to wait for the spinny head attack and to run away while spamming the thorn chakrum at him. I have enough health and healing to survive getting cornered by him, it's just a matter of dealing enough damage.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• magicpanda 17 Jun 2011 09:21:33 13,004 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't. stop. playing.
  • magicpanda 17 Jun 2011 10:25:15 13,004 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's the score with the piggy bank?

Can I use it as a post box? For example have a piggy at home set up and empty. Take a piggy underground with a table and then, when my inventory is full, set up the piggy bank and load it up with stuff then destroy it and carry on?
  • JoeBlade 17 Jun 2011 18:43:09 2,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:

Can I use it as a post box? For example have a piggy at home set up and empty. Take a piggy underground with a table and then, when my inventory is full, set up the piggy bank and load it up with stuff then destroy it and carry on?
    Not sure what you mean there but the main purpose of the piggy bank AFAIK is simply storing your money so you don't lose any - or at least less - when you die.
    Money can't be stored elsewhere I believe, and you will auto-pickup when you go near lingering coins (i.e. dropping it doesn't help either) so the piggy is the only safe place.
  • CouldntResist 17 Jun 2011 19:25:07 228 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:

Buy two piggys.

Set up one at home. Take the other one with you. When your inventory is full, whip out a table, place your porcine friend on top and chuck your junk inside. Two piggys, one stash.

--

Edit..fully realised the euphemistic potential of this post with the use of the word 'junk'. Teehee.
  • Jeepers 17 Jun 2011 21:15:00 13,151 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Christ, this is addictive.

Some advice would be helpful - I've managed to find a few items to go along with my Iron armour and gold weapons:

Mining helmet / gold helmet / obsidian helmet;
    Flintlock rifle;
    Whoopie cushion :)

I'm finding hard to upgrade much else - am I ready for the first boss or should I grind some more to find a few more items from chests?

Fwiw, I'm getting slaughtered quite quickly in Hell :D

• Razz 17 Jun 2011 21:31:23 59,979 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd give it a go, I think I took on the Eye with less tbh, I had only mostly copper armour and a silver helmet and sword, I found about 5 extra hearts bythat point too, I used the shriuken tactic though. Make sure you have loads of potions!!!

• magicpanda 18 Jun 2011 12:13:50 13,004 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely give the eye a go he's pretty easy. Get your hands on about 100 or so Shurikens or a decent ranged weapon and build a battleground to fight him on. Basically a big dirt cage (so you can reclaim arrows etc) with wooden platforms in it. First phase is tricky but the second is a piece of piss as he has a very set pattern.

The other thing you could do is smash some shadow orbs in the corruption for gear. Couple of sticks of Dynamite should see you through to an orb until you can get that special Pickaxe.

A nice side effect of smashing orbs is a meteor will land and you can get some nice crafted gear that way. (lightsabers!) Smash more that 3 and that snake boss will appear which can be a bitch but you need to beat him for the pickaxe.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last