iRacing

• Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous
  • estoo 26 Apr 2011 21:41:49 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No EG love for iRacing? For Shame!
    (Well unless the forum search has let me down again)

Just signed up to it last week and been pootering around doing a few races.

Bad Points:

-It's subscription based and you pay extra for more tracks and cars.
    -There's quite a limited amount of cars
    -It's 60/40 weighted towards oval racing (but the 2 disciplines are completely separate)
    -No offline racing or any kind of AI.

Good Points:
    -I have never driven a better feeling racing game in my puff (and I love my racing games!). The handling models of the cars are incredible.
    -The tracks they have are supposedly the most accurate of any ever made. They user laser mapping, whatever that is.
    -You are rewarded/punished for safe driving which effectively puts an end to 1st corner pile ups and the racing is fantastic when people are actively trying to AVOID touching each other. The safer you are, the better license you get meaning more race series become available.
    -They have a promotion on (well they did last week) which gave me 3 months for the price of one. $12
    -Seems like a good community on first impressions
    -Don't need a monster rig to run it.

If you have a decent PC and wheel setup, you owe it to yourself to try this for a while.
    To put it into perspective, I went from Shift 2 to this and well... make no bones about it, this is proper SIM racing.

Really surprised there's no thread here already considering the amount of regulars who love their driving games.

Their website
  • Kostabi 26 Apr 2011 22:30:16 4,982 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been playing around with iRacing off and on for over a couple of years now and I agree, it really is the best feeling racing sim out there by a long stretch.

It's expensive but considering the work they put into the tracks and cars easily eclipses any other racing game out there it's kind of justified. Strangely enough I re-downloaded it yesterday after a 7 month break and turned a few laps on the ovals... I'll probably get back into the whole scene properly once night road racing goes live.
  • FooAtari 26 Apr 2011 22:36:01 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah iRacing is great, although I have let my subscription lapse at the moment. Thinking of re-subbing especially with iRacing 2.0 coming this summer.

It is the best sim out there. The physics and force feedback are by far the best I have used. And the accuracy of the tracks is ludicrous.

The online racing is superb, and again by far and way the best I have used. Probably a combination of it being subscription based (attracting only serious racers) and the penalty system encouraging clean racing.
  • estoo 26 Apr 2011 22:36:28 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm pretty useless at ovals, who'da thunk turnin' left could be so god dang hard?
  • Kostabi 26 Apr 2011 22:45:57 4,982 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    I'm pretty useless at ovals, who'da thunk turnin' left could be so god dang hard?

Short track ovals are my favourite thing in iRacing but without a decent setup it's hard to do the times needed for close racing. Considering how competitive the racing can be it's amazing how open some people are with their car tweaks on the forums.

Daytona in the trucks was always my season highlight. Nothing comes close to how that shreds nerves.
  • estoo 26 Apr 2011 22:59:23 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That sounds good, I need to get out the rookie classes in oval before I can get near it though.
    Fast tracked up to class D in a couple of days by staying out of crashes in the road series but the walls are like magnets in the ovals.
  • bodhi85uk 26 Apr 2011 23:11:17 179 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah ive been on iRacing since november. Its very good, looking forward to then new tyre model, suzuka, ford gt race car and night time road racing at sebring.

Its very easy to spunk a load of cash on content though, so if you try it and like it youll find yourself buying a car or a track here or there and suddenly you realise youre A class in oval and road licenses and a couple hundred dollars lighter

Good fun though, did 500 practice laps at Phoenix in the Indycar fine tuning my setup the other week
  • estoo 26 Apr 2011 23:40:17 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I took advantage of their bulk discount deal and bought a whole load of tracks and cars. Got Spa, Silverstone and Zandvoort and bought the Williams F1, Skip Barber (amazing but insane) and the Jetta.

That little lot took me up to the price of a regular full price game.

Looking forward to the night racing too.

Despite my love for this I am not at all good although the standard is very high mostly. I'm usually a second of the leaders in short laps, 2-3 secs off in longer laps.

For example, a short oval lap, the leaders all lap about 23.5 and my very best is about 24.9
    Still waiting for Oval racing to 'click'.
  • shamblemonkee 26 Apr 2011 23:58:10 14,491 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd love to get into this but don't have a pc wheel for it. :(
  • estoo 27 Apr 2011 00:09:09 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I take it no one's created a proper driver for the 360 wheel yet?
    I was always a bit confused about that. I had my old one working using the wireless receiver thing but no force feedback or rumble. That was on Live For Speed I think and it just wasn't anywhere near drivable. Using the DFGT now.
  • MontyBrewster 27 Apr 2011 08:48:31 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    That sounds good, I need to get out the rookie classes in oval before I can get near it though.
    Fast tracked up to class D in a couple of days by staying out of crashes in the road series but the walls are like magnets in the ovals.

Week 13 this week so the rookie oval series will be absolute carnage, should be a lot easier to get your SR up when the new season starts next week.

Once you get promoted to a C license you can run the trucks which is a great series. Races last about an hour including caution periods, it's easy to drive, lots of splits, lots of people sharing setups, just really good close racing.

New build today to, including night racing at Sebring, oh yes!
  • shamblemonkee 27 Apr 2011 09:13:45 14,491 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How well does it cater to europeans (dont wanna be racing at 0300hrs!? and also circuit racing.
  • MontyBrewster 27 Apr 2011 10:04:13 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    How well does it cater to europeans (dont wanna be racing at 0300hrs!? and also circuit racing.

As a rule most Euros race road, the USA race ovals.

UK early evening/night is peak time for road with lower class series (Rookie, D+C) getting lots of splits.

If you wanted to run the higher class series (A+B) like the F1 that's when you'd need to race because they aren't as popular, but the popular series (MX5, Skip Barber, Formula Mazda) get splits most of the day.

It's worth downloading the rookie pack to see what the service is like, then decide from there. The new season starts on Tuesday, so we're in week 13 mode at the mo which is sorta like a fun (or not) week and they'll be a fair amount of downtime too (including today).

Don't worry about not having a wheel, lots of people start that way, the MX5 is very easy to drive so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
  • MontyBrewster 27 Apr 2011 10:07:46 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.iracing.com/buy-1-get-2/

3 months for $12 at the mo which gives you all the rookie stuff and Okayama is out today for free to boot.
  • estoo 27 Apr 2011 10:29:43 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okayama is free? Excellent!

I am 1 time trial away from getting my C license in road racing but the season finished at the wrong time for me. I think that they're adding a new model of the Skip Barber today as well and then hopefully they'll add an event for it during the week so I can get my promotion.

Even if I don't, I've only had a week in the Skip and doing a whole season in it would be both educational and fun; that car's a beautiful, fickle mistress.

Monty, you say don't worry about not having a wheel, but it was my understanding it was essential. Can you get it to work without one?
  • MontyBrewster 27 Apr 2011 11:26:03 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah they officially started supporting joypads a while back, then once people get into the game properly they get themselves a wheel. I started with the 360 wheel and no force feedback, then luckily managed to get a cheap G25 after a few weeks.

I think they'll be adding fun races today for they skippy at Okayama, but the only official races this week are at Rookie level unfortunately. With fast track tho you'll get your C license as soon as you hit D 4.00 next season, but the skip is a great learning car (and awesome fun) so I'd stick with that for the time being.
  • AaronTurner 27 Apr 2011 12:25:59 7,787 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fancy a few EG races then?
  • estoo 27 Apr 2011 12:54:37 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Definitely up for EG races if we have the numbers and can get it arranged.

• AaronTurner 27 Apr 2011 13:09:51 7,787 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems to be a few already with a sub here. I haven't been on for a couple of months but I keep meaning to get back into it, may be the perfect way because I don't know any others that do it. You can get pretty close racing in the Mazda and it's great fun so should be fine with smaller numbers on a wee track.
  • FooAtari 27 Apr 2011 13:19:45 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just started up my subscription again. Will download the latest updates and get some practice in this afternoon.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2011 13:21:59
    Anyone know if this works with the 360 microcon wheel?
  • MontyBrewster 27 Apr 2011 13:43:59 253 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Anyone know if this works with the 360 microcon wheel?

Any PC compatible wheel is fine, although the official 360 wheel doesn't support force feedback on the pc.

The site will also be down this afternoon from 2pm-6pm UK time for the new build, if you can't log in this afternoon, that's why.
  • estoo 27 Apr 2011 13:50:17 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Seems to be a few already with a sub here. I haven't been on for a couple of months but I keep meaning to get back into it, may be the perfect way because I don't know any others that do it. You can get pretty close racing in the Mazda and it's great fun so should be fine with smaller numbers on a wee track.

The one draw back for us mate, because we're from Wales/Scotland/Ireland, the name of the local club we're assigned to is "Celtic"!

I was gutted to discover this could not be changed :)
  • shamblemonkee 27 Apr 2011 13:53:30 14,491 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i picked up a wireless pc xox adaptor box thing at lunch so i'll download this when i can and give it a whirl either via the ms wheel sans feedback or with a pad.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2011 14:00:45
    Well I just plugged it in my lappy and it works. Oo tempted
  • AaronTurner 27 Apr 2011 15:31:54 7,787 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    The one draw back for us mate, because we're from Wales/Scotland/Ireland, the name of the local club we're assigned to is "Celtic"!

I was gutted to discover this could not be changed :)

Haha, just keep telling yourself it's a hard 'c'!
  • AaronTurner 27 Apr 2011 15:33:49 7,787 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Well I just plugged it in my lappy and it works. Oo tempted

$12 for 3 months at the moment, not too much really! I think it's worth the gamble just for that price. It's great if you're into sim racing and even though it is a thorough sim the rookie cars don't need set-ups and are quite easy to drive.
  • FooAtari 27 Apr 2011 15:44:38 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great, I sign back up and it's down for maintenance.
  • estoo 27 Apr 2011 15:53:30 2,835 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For your $12 dollars you don't get much content just to warn anyone thinking of taking the plunge.

You'll get an mx5 to use on Lime Rock, Laguna Seca and Summit Point if you are only interested in road racing.
    Once you get to advanced rookie level you'll also have a Spec racer and Pontiac Solstice to race.
    Oh, and the new free track today Okayama, that too.

Can't really comment much on the oval content, you get an old Ford legends car, a street stock and a couple of circular tracks to race them on.

If you do decide to buy extra content is worth noting that if you get 3 pieces together you get 10% off, 5 pieces gets 20% and if you're hardcore and buy everything it has to offer all at once you get 25% off.

Individual cars are about $12 and tracks are about $15
  • AaronTurner 27 Apr 2011 15:53:48 7,787 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only for a couple of hours I think.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last

Previous