Borderlands 2 Page 106

  • Page

    of 154 First / Last

  • megalomaniacs4u 5 Nov 2012 09:25:12 64 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup just killed the warrior solo on PT1 and didn't get a single drop that was more useful than my current loadout. What a waste.

    I'd noticed drops & chests weren't too good the best weapons & shields being found playing slots @Moxxies & the machines in sanctuary.
  • Mayhem64 5 Nov 2012 15:03:40 668 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, most of my best stuff, bar the orange legendary drops, were from Moxxi, the slots and the gold chest so far.

    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

  • M83J01P97 5 Nov 2012 15:29:44 6,659 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 'treasure' at the end of Captain Scarlet is the best way to get good loot and you can repeat the quest to access the 'treasure' as often as you like.
  • megalomaniacs4u 5 Nov 2012 15:32:34 64 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd say Borderlands 2 was a better all round experience so far than the original if it weren't for the dire loot and the utter BS that is the endlessly spawning loaders & surveyors. Two things that ruin a much slicker & better polished game...
  • ecureuil 5 Nov 2012 16:25:34 76,814 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    The 'treasure' at the end of Captain Scarlet is the best way to get good loot and you can repeat the quest to access the 'treasure' as often as you like.
    You can't, you can only do it twice then it's locked for good. You can glitch your way back in, but it's a pain.
  • pinebear 5 Nov 2012 16:45:46 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's the point of getting better loot when you've already completed the game six million times? What are you going to use it on, rubbish enemies that are now even easier to defeat?

  • Flying_Pig 5 Nov 2012 17:07:57 11,004 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    What's the point of getting better loot when you've already completed the game six million times? What are you going to use it on, rubbish enemies that are now even easier to defeat?
    QFT
  • themanfromdelmonte 5 Nov 2012 17:30:02 579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Especially when, as soon as the level cap is raised, it will all become obsolete.
  • richardiox 5 Nov 2012 17:40:05 5,598 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ^ this, some people literally spend dozens of hours grinding one boss just for a gun...in a game that sells itself as having billions of guns.

    Granted the 'one' orange drop may have better stats than what you've got but it may not. And regardless, all the other variables (Badass Ranks, Relics, Skill Tree, Class mods) make that extra 20% firerate you're holding out for pretty pointless. That, and the fact that quite often normal purple weapons out -spec the legendary ones.

    It just boils down to the gamer obsessive compulsive thing "gotta have them all" (even if it means 20hours grinding the same boss).

    And having to grind a boss 50 times to get a rare drop doesn't mean the game is broken - it means YOU'RE broken! It's called rare loot for a reason.
  • pinebear 5 Nov 2012 17:45:48 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gearbox plays you.

  • ecureuil 5 Nov 2012 17:46:47 76,814 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not about being obsessive compulsive, the orange items are the fun ones. They have interesting and unique abilities that normal items don't have. The first game rewarded you with these types of weapons when you got near the end, but this one just doesn't want to hand them out at all. People aren't just complaining about the oranges, it's everything. Purples and blues are too rare as well, it's just a really unrewarding system.

    Btw oranges won't become obsolete as soon as the level cap is raised, the oranges are so good they remain useful at least 10 levels above their own. I was using a level 10 orange grenade mod all the way up to level 28.

    Edited by ecureuil at 17:47:32 05-11-2012
  • richardiox 5 Nov 2012 17:53:36 5,598 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is about being obsessive compulsive, just by playing the game straight through you get a pretty decent selection of unique items (with red text) which you describe. The game really isn't short of guns - fun/unique or otherwise. To say you don't get good guns without spending hours and hours grinding bosses is clearly not true.

    The people who seem to be grinding each boss dozens of times aren't doing it as its the only way to get unique guns - they're doing it for obsessive/compulsive reasons.
  • khaz 5 Nov 2012 17:59:56 2,786 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    megalomaniacs4u wrote:
    I'd say Borderlands 2 was a better all round experience so far than the original if it weren't for the dire loot and the utter BS that is the endlessly spawning loaders & surveyors. Two things that ruin a much slicker & better polished game...
    Really? I find Loaders to be the easiest of the enemies. Corrosive weapons are so strong in BL2, they're essentially candles in the wind against them.

    Rabid stalkers, pyre threshers (Especially the instagib super badass ones) and badass (And above) buzzards can fuck right off though. God they piss me off. Rabid skags too!

    On the loot issues, ecureuil is right. Borderlands 2 should have been up there with Titan Quest: IT, Torchlight 2, Diablo 2 in terms of loot reward but it simply isn't. Its just shit. There's been a huge resurgence on the PC for loot fests - Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile - and Borderlands 2 should have been part of this. But its not, its just shit in terms of loot.

    Over three characters and with no significant loot grinding I have had not one orange weapon, relic or grenade mod. All i've managed is the Bee, the slayer of terramorphous mod (The only guaranteed orange drop?) and the firehawk shield which I got at lvl13 on Axton. And err...that's it. Yes, I have very good gear on my lvl50 Siren (All purples and 1 blue weapons) but that doesn't excuse the shit legendary loot percentages.

    If its not dropping for non grinders and grinders alike then something is clearly wrong. I do however value damage over rarity on my guns though but until I see orange weapons I don't know what i'm missing. I really really want the Skullmasher sniper but i'll be fucked if i'm going to run through the wildlife preserve for a 0.05% chance to get it and then watch it clip through the ground.

    I love and hate this game in equal measure.
  • ecureuil 5 Nov 2012 18:02:48 76,814 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The whole reason most of us play this game is to get better and better loot. That's it. That's the USP. Good story, voice acting and nice levels are just a bonus, and if this game had just a basic selection of a handful of weapons like every other FPS then nobody would play it.

    And with this system, they've now made the top tier of loot virtually unobtainable unless you're willing to dedicate hundreds of hours in to fighting the same bosses over and over again (or cheat). It's an RPG, and your ultimate end game is to equip your character with the best items, and this goes for every RPG. It's not obsessive compulsive, it's the fun of playing the game and building your character to being the best they can be. That IS the game, everything else is periphery. That's why Borderlands 1 was so well liked despite almost every other aspect of the game being below average. Making loot so obscenely rare makes the BL2 end game a horrible experience because there's no improvement curve like there was in the first game.
  • gallow 5 Nov 2012 18:15:34 486 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New shift codes taken from FB:

    PC SHiFT Code: 5TK3J-CS9BW-KFBJB-BJTJB-ZJFZW
    Xbox 360 SHiFT Code: KBW3T-JT9ZK-F9FJF-K63TB-CBT3K
    PlayStation 3 SHiFT Code: W3KTJ-FJFCT-3KCW3-Z3WJJ-JKT6R
  • richardiox 5 Nov 2012 18:35:16 5,598 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ecureuil

    My level 50 playthrough character is mainly using "regular" non orange or non reward weapons. Because they actually out-stat some of the rare stuff I've got. You said people grind for hours to get Orange lewt as its the "most fun" but if your point is wanting to have the BEST gear that's just down to chance so those 25 hours grinding boss characters is just wasted life.
  • ecureuil 5 Nov 2012 18:52:06 76,814 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would say orange gear is generally MUCH better than any equivalent purples. The Legendary class mods are better than any purple you'll find, Bee, Terramorphous Hide, Neogenator are better shields than any purple, Bonus Package, Storm Front, Fire Bee are better than any purple grenade mods. The same applies to most weapons too. People who dupe for legendaries don't equip purples ever again. Name a purple item and I'll tell you an orange I'd equip ahead of it every time.
  • khaz 5 Nov 2012 18:54:39 2,786 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The point is it shouldn't be wasted life. Gearbox have made it like that because of their system.

    Edit: ninja'd by ecu

    Edited by khaz at 18:55:54 05-11-2012

    Edited by khaz at 19:02:05 05-11-2012
  • Lutz 5 Nov 2012 19:30:47 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, some of the Badass challenges have reset. None of the enemy/weapon ones, they're all location based ones. Also, none of the Cult of the Vault ones.

    However my Badass ranking hasn't dropped one iota. So I'm assuming I can go back and re-do the challenges to earn more badass with my main character....
  • Lutz 5 Nov 2012 19:33:29 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I would say orange gear is generally MUCH better than any equivalent purples. The Legendary class mods are better than any purple you'll find, Bee, Terramorphous Hide, Neogenator are better shields than any purple, Bonus Package, Storm Front, Fire Bee are better than any purple grenade mods. The same applies to most weapons too. People who dupe for legendaries don't equip purples ever again. Name a purple item and I'll tell you an orange I'd equip ahead of it every time.
    Unfortunately the drop rate on Oranges is stupidly low. I got about 8 on my first playthrough, and then just 1 on TVHM, right from the start from Boom & Bewm.

    On both play thoughs I have NEVER seen even a Purple Mod for my Assassin, let alone an Orange one.

    The best weapon I own is from the Golden Chest. A purple Maliwan Sniper, doing 18k damage plus 4k Fire damage. All other stats are also very good. Only seen a couple of non-elemental Jakobs beat it in terms of power.
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Nov 2012 19:41:11 5,478 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Q: How many folk grinding are doing it solo ?

    Haven't Gearbox repeatedly said that you'll see the best loot in co-op ? Maybe folk are pissing up a wall grinding bosses, and the algorithms/programming is based on player numbers. We don't know for sure.

    The fact that I've only seen one chubby during a 4 player sesh, and frequent orange drops in co-op, across 4 Lv30+ characters awash with white/green solo says a lot to me.
  • khaz 5 Nov 2012 19:45:59 2,786 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, everyone knows you get better loot in co-op. I usually play with 1 or 2 friends for proper loot hunting.

    But solo loot rates are awful. Sometimes you just want some decent loot to complement your playstyle or augment your gear or just replace something to try it out.
  • Lutz 5 Nov 2012 19:52:54 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I only play co-op. Usually 2 player though, not 3 or 4.

    (Caveat; with my main character that is. I'm solo-ing a couple of others)
  • ecureuil 5 Nov 2012 20:12:08 76,814 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've played a decent amount of both solo and co-op. Loot is better in co-op but still not by enough. The first game never had this problem either.
  • jambii267 6 Nov 2012 01:35:48 1,366 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Drop rates are far too low, The grinding becomes overly tedious and on top of that some of the legendary items spawn from stupid locations.

    You can get a Legendary Shield and Rocket Launcher from any Chubby enemy, I can count the amount of Chubbies I have seen on one hand.

    Vermivours spawns 5 Legendary Class Mods, A Legendary Rocket Launcher and five "Legendary" Head customization's. Getting Verm to spawn in the first place is incredibly luck based and near impossible in single player.

    Both the Shredifier and the Madhous don't have a set spawn location. So you have to luck out in getting them to spawn from a chest, I have got two Legendary items from a chest and I've probably put in a good 100+ hours into this game.

    Seems to fly in the face of common sense.

    Raid Bosses such as Terramorphous, Gee, Hyperius should be balanced against the best weapons in the game, rather than be the joke they are now. They should be a challenge to beat even with the best weapons in the game.

    Edited by jambii267 at 01:42:08 06-11-2012

    NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

  • kinky_mong 6 Nov 2012 01:49:51 10,288 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    pinebear wrote:
    What's the point of getting better loot when you've already completed the game six million times? What are you going to use it on, rubbish enemies that are now even easier to defeat?
    QFT
    And quoted again for extra truth. I see Ecureil is still leading the moaning about loot. Maybe you should go play a different game where the loot system is more keyed to repetitive grinding to cover the wafer thin plot and tedious gameplay.

    Basically Torchlight.

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 02:06:25
    Gearbox got the loot spot-on with Borderlands and fucked it up with Borderlands 2. That's the bottom line. I put hundreds of hours into Borderlands not because I was pointlessly grinding bosses but because of the compelling loot system. I'm not going to be wasting my time grinding bosses in Borderlands 2 just because Gearbox lost the plot and implemented a utterly ridiculous loot system. Borderlands 2 has been shelved until they sort it out.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Nov 2012 02:21:36 7,402 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno. I consider hundreds of hours spent on pretty much any one game to be a waste of time.

    That said, I'm playing Torchlight 2 now, and it's anything but tedious.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 05:08:18
    Yea I could have used that time finding a cure for cancer or saving the world from evil.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Nov 2012 06:52:17 7,402 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Whatever makes you feel happy, I guess. But it really seems like you hate this game! And yet here you are, however many dozens of hours later. Still here, and still making exactly the same points.

    If you don't like it, why don't you stop and play something you enjoy? That's pretty much what I do in most cases.

    Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:52:53 06-11-2012
  • Page

    of 154 First / Last

Log in or register to reply