Official F1 2011 (Codemasters) Thread

• Page

of 39 First / Last

Previous
  • IJ 18 Apr 2011 17:19:20 802 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As we are well into the new F1 2011 season and Codemasters new game is released on September 23rd I thought it was time to start this thread. I'm sure we'll start to get a lot more details over the next few weeks or month as Codemasters builds the hype and takes advantage of what is shaping up to be another classic season.

There are a few videos on YouTube which are apparently of F1 2011 footage but they might just be modded F1 2010.

Here is my list of must-improvements if I'm to buy it again:
    1) Significant reduction in bugs and inconsistencies, this covers the vast majority of complaints from 2010.
    1.1) Pit-Lane bug: Why not just hard code that at most one car, which entered the pit lane after you, can be let go ahead of you? Problem solved....

2) We need much more information, on lap times, tyre choice, number of pit stops etc both during the race and afterwards. For example, I started a race in the wet and Alonso was just in front of me, we were both on intermediates. He went into the pits after about 4 laps, the track was drying but it seemed a good 3-4 more laps away from slicks for me so I kept on inters. When he came out I had no idea what he was doing, was he on new inters or slicks? What were his lap times on the slicks if he was on them?

Imagine a race like the Chinese race we just had, without the current tyre, number of pits stops and current lap times you'd have no chance of choosing the right strategy to counter what others are doing, throw in some rain as well and you're helpless.

I know Codemasters don't want you to have to pause the game to check this out, but I think it should at least be an option. By all means improve the race engineer comments (which were pretty useless in 2010) to make up for it but you're never going to program it perfectly to give players what they want to know when they want to know it.

I also want to be able to see each drivers race so you can think about it afterwards, when they stopped, how many times they stopped...like a race profiler.

3) Full race replays with the ability to switch cars. It would also be nice to be able to see the pole position lap.

4) Improve (or get rid of) the "Be the Driver" part which was just a complete waste of time in 2010. I like the idea but it needs to be much more involved, deep and relevent.

5) Safety car would be nice but I'd imagine there is next to no chance this will be happening any time soon.

I know Codemasters have talked up the multiplayer side as the area they are concentrating on but I actually think the single player needs to be polished first, especially as it is a lot of minor issues detracting from what is a fantastic core experience.

It will be interesting to see how they implement DRS/KERS. You can not just make them automatic as they unload the car so much that they simply have to be operated manually otherwise it will just throw you off track. I suppose they could make DRS automatic in the race (as its down a straight) and just not include the use in qualifying so you only have to use one button for KERS. I can't see how if you use a wheel you can press two buttons at once. So I'm guessing DRS will either be dropped completely or automated for the race only. With KERS fully implemented via a single button.

Thoughts?
  • brseg 18 Apr 2011 21:08:54 679 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its not clear to me how much new will be in f1 2011, but hopefully we'll all be surprised. Yeah, multiplayer improvements (better lobby, practise sessions, replays, stats, 12+ cars?).

'Live the life' will surely stay. I quite like it, it adds some trimmings/context to the career mode. Perhaps a trophy cabinet, podiums in 2011. Yes its frivolous, but I'd miss it.

So many obvious bugs in the 2010 version. The pit lane issues are just stupid, and could be easily fixed (via ghosting of cars… which it does on pit entry anyway!).

The effects of tyre wear and fuel are critical to the sport, yet pretty messed-up in the current game. The rule changes for 2011 mean this is even more critical now!

And, the AI is bad in many places. I just wonder why these things were never fixed. Problem is 'Fixed AI' isnt a great selling point to put on the box of the new version… will we just get more new broken stuff instead? :p

I expect you're right about automatic DRS. (+not sure why FIA allowed it in quali sessions). Currently, I find it too fiddly to change the wing position, so replacing that with a single Kers button might be a good change.

Having said all that, I still race every week in the eurogamer league :)
  • bodhi85uk 18 Apr 2011 21:10:03 179 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Everything you've said, plus...

- A better damage model. The 2010 game had options for off, arcade and simulation. Simulation damage should result in the slightest contact breaking off aero pieces and bending suspension, F1 2010 sim damage still let you bounce off walls and cars without a scratch. I purposefully drove my car hard into walls and was able to carry on no problems. The point is, make simulation damage brutal, and leave arcade damage options for those who like Ridge Racer or who don't want to run 60 laps and stick it into a wall

- Consistent frame rate. Id prefer 60fps, but we all know Codies like their eye-candy and filters. I would gladly sacrifice graphics quality for a good solid frame rate.

- Circuit fly-overs during build up, actually seeing the top 3 on the podium, safety cars, warm up lap and going to grid slot, victory lap and maybe driving into the slots in the pit-lane and being able to see the driver get out and go stand on some scales, i mean we see it every race, basically live the life stuff improved, more feedback on what you need to do to keep/get a contract with a team. I cant be bothered with answering the same 8 questions, it honestly reminds me of the old Smackdown vs Raw wrestling games career modes on PS2 when I was briefly into that sort of shit.

• Deckard1 18 Apr 2011 21:26:20 27,195 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Better graphics, more sound, 3D and kinect implication. Be nice if they could get avatars in there as well, but I'm not that bothered.
  • IJ 18 Apr 2011 21:33:22 802 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Better graphics, more sound, 3D and kinect implication. Be nice if they could get avatars in there as well, but I'm not that bothered.

Not sure I could disagree with these suggestions any more to be honest. Better graphics I can obviously agree with but I thought 2010 was fine and would rather they concentrated on a consistent frame rate. 'More sound' I'm not even sure that makes sense. 3D is just pointless considering the tiny number of people with the tech at the moment, I'd rather they focused on other areas. Kinect, if it meant you could move your head a little and look at the mirrors would be good.

Avatars? Really? You want some idiot dressed as a storm trooper with a pet dog in your F1 game? Really?
  • bodhi85uk 18 Apr 2011 21:35:15 179 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:

"more sound", avatars and kinect? seriously?

go play this http://marketplace.xbox.com:80/en-US/Product/KinectTM-Joy-Ride/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53093b

... and leave the F1 games for the fans of F1.

edit: ah beaten by IJ to the post while i was scouring xbox.com
  • Deckard1 18 Apr 2011 21:35:17 27,195 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    \o/
  • LionheartDJH 18 Apr 2011 21:56:03 19,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't give two hoots about multiplayer myself, though obviously hope some of the issues with it are sorted out for you guys that do. Pretty much echo the sentiments already expressed about the single player, 'live the life' needs to be significantly improved with more meat on what is currently pretty bare bones.

More questions in press conferences is an obvious one, but bringing in stuff like sponsorships would be a great addition (having goals to meet in each race, if you say derogatory things in press conferences you might have your money taken away and prestige hit etc.). Also not starting out as a full driver but as a test driver would be good, to get that feeling of really starting low and working your way up. I never played the PS2 ones but my mate tells me that they had it like that, so would be nice to see it happen. Perhaps having the option to start as a pay driver aswell (dependent on nationality I guess) could be implemented.

Overall just needs to be a lot more involving than it was in 2010, where it felt quite sterile and uninvolving on the whole. The racing was great for the most part, but I want to feel a connection to my driver like I do to my team and players in PES's Master League for example. Agree that podiums and other presentation stuff would be great, perhaps with the option to customise your driver's appearance? Not talking major in depth here, but it'd be worth it to have the podium stuff. It'd also be awesome if they could get the rights to the BBC presentation, not talking commentary (though it might be nice to have a race round up kind of thing at the end) but just having the whole thing look more TV like I guess. Getting interviewed on the track before the race or in the F1 Forum with Humphrey and co. afterwards would really add to the presentation side I think.

Obviously needs the bugs to be gotten rid of and AI sorted for the launch, I can forgive last year's game because it was the first one, but now they've got the engine sorted there's not much of an excuse for releasing a flawed game. Looking forward to seeing how they implement the new car features with DRS and KERS, just hope that it doesn't cause them so much bother that they overlook other areas, or release the game with bugs and AI inconsistencies again.

On a side note I'd like drivers to move teams in the career mode, or at least have new ones introduced as it felt a tad unrealistic and got a tiny bit boring in 2010 racing against the exact same line ups. I'm guessing that they still have all the licensing issues around that so probably won't happen. Not the devs' fault clearly, so I can forgive them if it doesn't happen.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Deckard1 18 Apr 2011 21:57:22 27,195 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It needs more sound as well. A hell of a lot more imo.
  • FWB 18 Apr 2011 22:00:44 43,846 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not played 2010 online yet , but is there a proper MP season?
  • bodhi85uk 18 Apr 2011 22:13:56 179 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Volume button is your friend, Deckard1. That or speakers in the corners of your padded cell you Madman.

ffs, Avatars! :)
  • corstick 18 Apr 2011 23:57:49 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I couldn't care less about Live the Life. It just gets in the way of the racing. Podium celebrations and victory laps (it was great in the GP games with marshalls waving flags etc) would be nice.

Beyond that, I'm not a fan of wishlists for upcoming games and if I listed everything I want in the game I'd be here all night. I just hope for bug fixes, proper oversteer that doesn't involve brake corrected snap spins, better cockpit camera and, most importantly, replays of online races.
  • DUFFKING 19 Apr 2011 00:22:52 7,096 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bodhi85uk wrote:
    Volume button is your friend, Deckard1. That or speakers in the corners of your padded cell you Madman.

ffs, Avatars! :)

He's just engaging in some easy trolling, ignore him :p
  • Deckard1 19 Apr 2011 00:54:47 27,195 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It wasn't trolling! I was actually making a satirical statement on the games industry, and what it considers important in a sequel compared to what gamers actually want but the chuckle brothers here didn't get it so I kept it going.

MOAR SOUNDS!!!!
  • shamblemonkee 19 Apr 2011 09:14:35 14,273 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *proper in race strategic overview, prominent in-front and behind splits as a minimum
    *a better tyre wear model that reflects how hard you use them, including flatspots, individual wheel-locks, heat management and so on
    *fuel management in races of 30% and above
    *a touch more feedback through the wheel
    *a further increase in damage sim, the current full model is still very forgiving, especially with suspension/wheel impacts
    *REPLAYS! in multiplayer that you can save, change car and all that.
    *faster gearbox, current one is a touch too slow

Despite all that i expect i'd still buy it with only a few of those wshes fulfilled as the evoling track, dynamic weather and core racing experience are still way up there.
  • Spunkweazle 19 Apr 2011 16:55:54 470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1) 60fps

2) 60fps

3) 60fps

4) MOAR SOUNDS!!!

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• LoopTheory 19 Apr 2011 18:12:16 354 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Online saveable replays - exportable as well similar to Forza 3
    Player fastest laps recorded for each track in single player (possibly Multiplayer)
    Safety car , as this can transform races.
    More strategic info from engineer/hud
    Moveable position in cockpit view
    Better tyre simulation as this will be critical this season.
    More polished , as F12010 seems a little rushed.
  • gang_of_bitches 19 Apr 2011 18:47:08 5,442 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some kind of warning that I may run out of fuel, as has happened 2 fucking years running at Valencia! The yellow fuel light doesn't give you enough time to do anything about it.
  • shamblemonkee 19 Apr 2011 19:03:37 14,273 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yellow light is two laps...
  • gang_of_bitches 19 Apr 2011 22:25:36 5,442 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got the yellow light three and a half laps out, and so you get 2 laps of yellow then 1 lap of red before you're reduced to a crawl.

I'd had about a 30 second lead and let that erode to about 5 seconds by not accelerating hard and freewheeling into corners, but it made absolutely no difference. With 10 laps warning I could maybe have done someting and at least held onto a podium rather than my eventual finish of 6th.

By the way, this was in a Lotus and at no point did I use the fast engine setting.
  • shamblemonkee 19 Apr 2011 22:42:02 14,273 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do agree, i think it is essential that fuel management needs to play a part in 2011. However it needs to be done in an easy to understand and unobtrusive manner. i.e,

*Cruise: recoup half a lap of fuel for each lap completed in this mode
    *NORMAL: you will go the distance just.
    *FAST: uses 2x as much fuel as normal mode.

This can then be managed through Engineer voice overs, as in real life. the game will know how far you can go at any point in time so it should be logical to program in sensible transmission from the pits about managing it.
  • IJ 20 Apr 2011 11:54:53 802 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    I do agree, i think it is essential that fuel management needs to play a part in 2011. However it needs to be done in an easy to understand and unobtrusive manner. i.e,

*Cruise: recoup half a lap of fuel for each lap completed in this mode
    *NORMAL: you will go the distance just.
    *FAST: uses 2x as much fuel as normal mode.

This can then be managed through Engineer voice overs, as in real life. the game will know how far you can go at any point in time so it should be logical to program in sensible transmission from the pits about managing it.

I would prefer something a little more realistic. So driving hard and having fast mode on uses fuel more quickly than using fast mode and lifting off early and braking later. I think a simple "Laps left on fuel" in the hud would be enough, that way you know easily how you're looking fuel wise.

2011 also needs much better heat management, which is a core part of being a F1 driver. I never really understood the heat display in F1 2010. It was either green all the time or if you crashed or lost your wing the tyres would go blue, but that was very rare. I'd prefer the tyres to move through a lot more shades and take much more management.
  • LionheartDJH 20 Apr 2011 11:59:45 19,359 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree on the heat side of things, didn't really seem to impact me at all on 2010. It'd go red when I was on fast mode and pushing the car hard, but I wouldn't let up and it'd just go back to normal then crop up again in a few laps' time. Maybe it's cos I only do 30% races but I never got the impression it had much of an effect on my racing. On that note I think fuel sim should be scaled to the shorter races aswell as longer ones, as I never encounter fuel problems on 2010 doing shorter races even if I run a fast engine for the entire race.

She dives for cheese pasties

• corstick 20 Apr 2011 15:14:15 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In 2010 with 50% races the engineer did occasionally warn me about problems with the engine and suggested turning it down but I didn't really notice any performance decrease. It only seemed to happen in hot conditions like Bahrain and Singapore.
  • Deleted user 20 April 2011 15:35:36
    I needs a better career mode for me, a much better UI (the pit menus and the engineer were mostly fecking useless) and some decent tv style presentation. The split times thing was not good.

I would also like some consistency. I would win one race, then struggle to qualify 20th in the next one.

Oh and the interviews and all that shite, get rid. It is totally pointless being asked personal questions by an Xbox, especially when you have heard the answers 100 times.

It also needs to be thoroughly bug tested and the AI needs to be less thick. If they can get all that right, I will be there day one.

• Deleted user 20 April 2011 16:19:12
    pretty much all that has been said!, the core expereince is there, and its great fun, just needs to be fleshed out this time round, which is fine, as the first one was the first one, and got more right than it did wrong. I still play it now and again.

If they can fix alot of the bugs, have some of the features mentioned, then i be happy. Multiplayer was a bit barebones, and could do with fleshing out to entice you coming back for more, but over 3 laps at least the MP was fairly competetive compared to most racing games online.

I know this won;t happen, but it would be nice to have some DLC of some classic cars and tracks about 6 months down the line. Have a classic pack, say with three tracks , maybe A1 ring, Brands Hatch and Long Beach (which is in Grid no? can't remember) and Three Classic Cars and a video or two going into the history of F1. Make it the core F1 experience.

R&D could be expanded as well, a basic model could be choosing shape of the wings etc , different aero parts have different ratings, and some parts are more compataibale with each other than others, quite complicated, but could work. Perhaps even included a reliabilty guage as well.
  • corstick 4 May 2011 21:52:56 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Developer write up of a 50% multiplayer race in '11. No particularly new information but quite interesting.
  • shamblemonkee 4 May 2011 22:25:41 14,273 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sounds like our EG gang could be in for some interesting races.

a touch worried that he seems to indicate the cars a less nervous where i thought that was an aspect that was conveyed well about how i imagined the cars really are...

.. however that is countered by the hope that this will allow for easier running in close proximity, less likely to lock both wheels, instead only locking one and less likely to careen into the back of someone....

...hoping from that that fuel also plays a bigger part.

...no mention of tyre wear other than through feel....

...some indication of better in race strategic feedback ..

• corstick 4 May 2011 22:51:54 3,263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, I would say the cars already have a touch too much grip. The problem at the moment though is the drop off when that grip is lost is so dramatic, which, as you say, makes close racing quite difficult. If they can smooth that out while still punishing excessive sliding through tyre wear etc it could be a winner.

At least the head developer has his head screwed on and doesn't spend his time talking about frivolous features and how Xtreme yet accessible everything is.
  • Res 4 May 2011 22:56:20 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I refuse to purchase this game until it includes F1's equivalent of Ken Block and forces me to pretend he's a good racing driver.
  • Page

of 39 First / Last

Previous