Problems renewing Flickr PRO - or "Yahoo billing is a steaming pile of sh*te"

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • presh 18 Apr 2011 15:01:20 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just wondered if anyone else has had a problem with account renewals not working?

I've been locked in an Orwellian nightmare of Flickr customer services for over 2 weeks now. Every time I confirm payment for renewing my account I get a totally unhelpful error message telling me there is a 'temporary error and if it persists to contact customer services'.

So far, they have suggested I need to reset cookies, change browsers/computers, check bank details (a zillion times), speak to PayPal and god knows what else. What they can't explain is why their own Yahoo! Wallet doesn't work.

I've given up trying to pay by card as it keeps triggering a fraud alert and I'm on my third new visa card in 2 weeks. When I tried PayPal I've had confirmation that the transaction from their side is fine, but Yahoo! claim they can't find it so therefore it's PayPal fault.

I can't very well give up, as there are more than a thousand photos I can no longer access via my Flickr that I've spent years using.

Any suggestions gratefully considered. Anyone else had anything like this happen?

• smoothpete 18 Apr 2011 15:08:50 31,706 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had the same problem recently trying to pay for my account renewal with paypal. It worked fine when I paid via a card though...

I don't even know why I renewed the fucking thing, I barely use it anymore
  • Deleted user 18 April 2011 15:11:13
    I'd try a different card if I were you, sounds like the problem could be with the card issuer (because of the fraud alerts). I've rarely had issues with a card, but when I did I switched to another one and it worked.

Can you wire or transfer money to Paypal, that way you don't have to deal with a credit card holder's payment methods?
  • presh 18 Apr 2011 15:34:57 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Valli

My Paypal is tied to my bank account, so it normally just works that way - no card approvals needed. And I've tried using a different card, but Yahoo Wallet won't actually let me enter any card details at all - it just throws up a message saying the details aren't correct even when they 100% are.

I guess what is pissing me off most of all is the useless responses from Flickr, which assume I am some sort of idiot who doesn't know how to use a computer.
  • Spanky 18 Apr 2011 15:42:43 14,576 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Were you a flickr user before they were part of yahoo? They merged my account with the yahoo one and totally fucked it as my flickr account had no age set but the yahoo one required you to be over 21, would they let me put my age in after the merge to rectify... the fuck they did. This meant i couldn't pay for anything as you had to be over 21 to purchase, of course this was told in obtuse error messages that didn't actually state the problem. I had to create a new yahoo identity from scratch and re-associate my flickr account with it. Tell them i fucking hate them in your correspondence would you.

Also flickr should be free, especially since the fucked it all up with their arsehole scripting. Cunts

Plubs

• HoraceGoesSquiffy 18 Apr 2011 16:20:46 1,563 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I recently had exactly the same error and experience. It was driving me mental. I was using the same card as I used to pay last year, my address was definitely the one the card is registered to, etc. Customer service were responsive but not very helpful.

In the end, I thought "Hmm, I wonder if it's that their system can't cope with the change of address on the same card since I last used it?". I tried my old address (which was the one previously registered when I paid last time) and....voila.
  • presh 19 Apr 2011 11:14:37 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HoraceGoesSquiffy wrote:
    I recently had exactly the same error and experience. It was driving me mental. I was using the same card as I used to pay last year, my address was definitely the one the card is registered to, etc. Customer service were responsive but not very helpful.

In the end, I thought "Hmm, I wonder if it's that their system can't cope with the change of address on the same card since I last used it?". I tried my old address (which was the one previously registered when I paid last time) and....voila.

hmm - might resort to trying this - although I think my card is a different one now. But deffo seems to be a change of address is something their whole platform can't handle...

Will try and report back!
  • presh 19 Apr 2011 13:48:28 1,221 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks all for the suggestions on this. It finally accepted a 1 year membership, rather than the 2 I was trying to pay for. I still have no idea what the problem with the payment system is, but after getting error messages another 3 times I clicked too quickly to change the 1 year default to 2, and it worked.

All in all a total pain in the arse, but got there in the end....
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next