Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 4

• Page

of 93 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 May 2011 01:25:48
    The Pacific- 10/10

While it wasn't as good as BoB it still is absolutely brilliant. Takes a while to get going imo but once it does it's relentless. The battles are intense and gritty and look stunning in bluray. I can't wait to rewatch one day.
  • Vice.Destroyer 8 May 2011 02:35:24 5,832 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad that nobody has shown Lost some love in this thread. I'll second what someone else said earlier and say that The Shield is a 10/10 show. For every single season. It is just awesome.
  • Gambit1977 8 May 2011 06:43:24 9,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothing wrong with Lost :-/ I doubt many people are just delving into it now though.

The Shield is one of those rare beasts that doesn't have a single poor season. Even Dexter has one of those! The strike team will always have a special place in my heart :)
  • captainrentboy 8 May 2011 08:24:20 991 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mad Men, Seasons 1,2 nearly 3.
    Really enjoying it, but like Empire said in one of their recent reviews, it's strange, because when you think about it, not a lot actually happens compared to some other shows. The great acting and just general feel of the show seem to have won me over.
    I can't really think of a weak link in the cast, they're all fantastic. And the sixties setting helps to make it stand out.
    I've read that Season 4 is good 'un. Should be on that by next week.
    Looking online, I'm surprised so many folk really dislike Sterling, I think he's awesome, at being a bit of an asshole. :)
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2011 11:13:35 14,714 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Mad Men, Seasons 1,2 nearly 3.
    Really enjoying it, but like Empire said in one of their recent reviews, it's strange, because when you think about it, not a lot actually happens compared to some other shows. The great acting and just general feel of the show seem to have won me over.
    I can't really think of a weak link in the cast, they're all fantastic. And the sixties setting helps to make it stand out.
    I've read that Season 4 is good 'un. Should be on that by next week.
    Looking online, I'm surprised so many folk really dislike Sterling, I think he's awesome, at being a bit of an asshole. :)

That's a good point, I like Treme for the same reason. It's the characters that are interesting, rather than specific events.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• CosmicFuzz 8 May 2011 11:17:50 24,296 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oz - season 1.

Absolutely terrifying and fantastic. If I ever get sent to prison I am killing myself first. I wouldn't last five seconds in there.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• TechnoHippy 8 May 2011 11:21:56 14,714 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oz - season 1.

Absolutely terrifying and fantastic. If I ever get sent to prison I am killing myself first. I wouldn't last five seconds in there.

Heh :-) It's amazing what you can get used to and quickly you do so.

• Deleted user 8 May 2011 11:27:52
    Cowboy Bebop 9/10

Such an amazing show and the last episode is awesome what with the music.

Best cartoon since Batman the animated tv series.
  • M83J01P97 8 May 2011 12:49:35 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True Blood - Season 1

They have been showing this from the beginning on FX and it's always been one of those shows I've had a passing interest in... but then a friend told me it was just as 'gay' as Twilight.

My god was he wrong.

Sure it's got it camp moments and some of the romance stuff is a bit schmaltzy, but I was really surprised by how good the series is. Lot's of well paced stories and mysteries to keep you guessing,Love how they teased Sam being a dog right from the start, then threw a curve ball and started showing the real dog alongside Sam... only for him to turn out to be a shape shifter after all.

The acting is really good as well, although I tend to find the semi-regular characters a lot more interesting than the main characters. Eric for example, hope he gets more screen time as the show goes on.

Not to get stuck into Season 2.

• Vice.Destroyer 9 May 2011 00:42:00 5,832 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know what you mean about the supporting cast being better than the main actors. Eric, LaFayette and Tara are infinitely more interesting that Bill Compton, Jason and Sookie Stackhouse.
  • Vice.Destroyer 9 May 2011 07:40:23 5,832 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Lost :-/ I doubt many people are just delving into it now though.

Sorry, Gambit1977.
    :)
  • buggrit 9 May 2011 07:44:41 5,179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Treme Season 1: 10/10. Beautifully filmed, great characters, good plots.
    The Sopranos Season 1: 10/10. Just frigging amazing in every way.
    Spartacus Blood And Sand: 8/10. Weak start, opens out into something pretty special.
  • cianchristopher 9 May 2011 14:17:14 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Mad Men,

I didn't realise that - I love Roger Sterling, he's one of the best characters. Any time him and Don go drinking is great, such as in Six Months Leave and Red In the Face.

Did you nitce that episode 7 of season 1 ends with Roger puking his guts up in the office lobby, and episode 7 of season 2 ends with Betty puking in the car. I really hoped they'd continue that with episode 7 of each further season (as an in-joke) but sadly, no...
  • kalel 9 May 2011 15:04:07 87,593 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished Generation Kill.

Itís superb, and completely unique. I donít think Iíve ever engaged so fully with something I barely understood a word of. It really is incredibly compelling and the characters are wonderful. It breaks nearly every clichť.

Really canít emphasise enough how good it was. 10/10
  • TechnoHippy 9 May 2011 15:06:42 14,714 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Just finished Generation Kill.

Itís superb, and completely unique. I donít think Iíve ever engaged so fully with something I barely understood a word of. It really is incredibly compelling and the characters are wonderful. It breaks nearly every clichť.

Really canít emphasise enough how good it was. 10/10

I really liked this as well, although I did prefer Over There. I know my opinion is a minority one on this though :-)

• cianchristopher 9 May 2011 15:09:13 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's very similar to The Wire, though, in terms of it's mistrust of middle-managment and the army "machine" that drives the war.

While I've no beef with that, in principle, I guess I watched it too close to The Wire and felt a bit fatigued by David Simon's themes in the end. I would give it an 8 (or even an 8.5) out of 10.
  • kalel 9 May 2011 15:12:03 87,593 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Itís similar to The Wire, although I felt the longer that went on, the more conventional it became. By the last few seasons it was a fairly normal TV programme (albeit with exemplary standards).

GK was short enough to just stay completely real though.
  • cianchristopher 9 May 2011 15:14:26 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm with you on that, the shorter the better (which is probably why I loved Season 1 of Breaking Bad so much, as it had fewer chances to falter).
  • TOOTR 9 May 2011 16:27:28 9,556 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fringe Season 1 7/10

The first nine episodes are just excruciatingly bad - real 4/10 stuff. Painful to wade through.
    And I absolutely would not have bothered with it if fellow EGers hadn't convinced me to stick with it. They were right - it gets a lot better. Well it had to really. Some of the later eps made up for it. And some of the characters, (Walt, especially is sublime) really start to grow on you.

Fringe Season 2 8/10

The signal to noise ratio is much higher here and it's hitting its straps. The last few eps just rattled along and it's got a great cliffhanger for season 3 which I am about to start on...pretty much now. Still hoping to avoid spoilers from IDIOT friends who should know better - you know who you are. No I haven't forgiven you. Nazi-Hitler-wasps the lot of you. ;)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• BinaryBob101 9 May 2011 16:34:35 22,905 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /shuffles nervously

I still don't think they were major spoilers and how many times must I apologise!

Season three ups the ante again. It's quickly taking over as my favourite pulpy scifi show of all time. That finale was just fucking amazing this week.

The Grumpy Vaper

• TOOTR 9 May 2011 19:29:01 9,556 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    /shuffles nervously

I still don't think they were major spoilers and how many times must I apologise!

For the rest of your miserable spoiler spewing existence!!! In ALL the dimensions you exist in!

Season three ups the ante again. It's quickly taking over as my favourite pulpy scifi show of all time. That finale was just fucking amazing this week.

What? There's a season 3 FINALE? Oh thanks - thanks a lot! That's just freaking great. You ruin EVERYTHING!!!

;D

• TOOTR 9 May 2011 19:30:38 9,556 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Genuine question - which was the first tv show to have a recognised 'finale'?

/wonders if it was Dallas

• TOOTR 9 May 2011 19:31:32 9,556 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because every old man and his dog seems to have one these days. Finale this, Finale that - I'm falling over the bloody things.

• coastal 9 May 2011 19:51:12 5,383 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish my gf would watch Generation Kill. It's such a good drama. She's afraid there's loads of blood. But really there's not much and no-one central dies.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• TOOTR 9 May 2011 20:49:40 9,556 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    But really there's not much and no-one central dies.

Sweet Zombie Christ!!! Does everyone wish to spoil things for me?

I've still got Generation Kill ready to go... ;_;

Are there no noble Knights of Spoiler-free left in this rotten wiki-leaksesque world?

/weeps for the innocence of ignorance

/uses this information, nevertheless, to lure his missus into watching it too :)

• TechnoHippy 10 May 2011 12:39:09 14,714 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Millenium - Season 2

While still a great watch, it does start to show some crack. Frank Black is still excellent and I do enjoy the exploration of the more supernatural themes. However I found Laura to be a bit trying. The episode with the demons in the donut shop is one of my favourite episodes of any show. Once again it ends on an excellent cliff hanger.

9/10

• Tom_Servo 10 May 2011 12:47:47 17,951 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dexter - Season 2

This was somehow enjoyable despite the fact that, on paper, it sounds like it should've sucked. The English woman was an utter pain in the arse the whole time, I actually cheered when Dexter killed her at the end. Dexter's sister continued to be incredibly annoying. I liked Lundy a lot though, it's a shame he presumably won't be coming back for Season 3. I don't really like Rita's new character a lot now either, and I'm guessing this has coincided with the actress getting some IRL work done. And Dexter didn't actually kill that many people either.

But! The overall arc was very good, the tension was always high especially in the last handful of episodes. Despite running off a list of complaints, I can't wait to get stuck into the next season.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 15 May 2011 21:23:15 14,714 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Millenium - Season 3

Once again I am disapointed (as I am at the end of any great show) at the finish. A great show, but while it has an ending, it doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. A great journey while it lasted though.

9/10

• Page

of 93 First / Last