Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 173

• Page

of 178 First / Last

• Fab4 17 Oct 2017 12:34:26 8,195 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:

Also, 1980s Barbara Flynn is utterly, utterly gorgeous.

Be still my 1980's teenage hormones :)
  • DukeSilver 17 Oct 2017 12:53:44 2,537 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mal wrote:
    boo wrote:
    A series from way back when. Ever since it was first broadcast in 1984, I've been meaning to watch The Beiderbecke Affair, and having picked up a boxed set of the whole Beiderbecke Trilogy recently, I finally got to see it last week.

Also, 1980s Barbara Flynn is utterly, utterly gorgeous.

9/10
    Yeah, I picked up a DVD of the BiederBeck Tapes a good few years ago now, largely for 1980s Barbara Flynn. Not sure the second series is quite as good as you report the first is, but it's still a classic TV couple up there with Tom and the other Barbara (seems a popular female name back then).
    Has there been some mention of this recently? About a week ago a memory of it appeared from nowhere and I could clearly remember this image. I must have been thinking of a good place to store headphones or something.

• JoelStinty 17 Oct 2017 15:27:15 5,901 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Handmaid's Tale.

Really good. Hard hitting and really bleak but one where you can't help become invested in, partially down to the situation these people find themselves in. It is really well realised and really packs a punch, several in fact. I do worry for further seasons as i don't know how they can keep up the general quality of the show. There were a couple moments where the show threatened to go off the rails, but thankfully it didn't. Haven't read the book yet, be interesting to see how it compares.

5/5
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Oct 2017 17:09:47 21,388 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The planned sequels are not based on the original source materials so they will probably be shite.
  • GarlVinland 23 Oct 2017 17:30:13 2,314 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S1 - 9/10

Weird show. It's a musical but the main character has some serious mental health issues and it's a hair away from being a pitch black drama. Instead you see things from her perspective and it's actually very funny. The songs are bluntly written but quite catchy and you might find yourself humming one then remembering she was singing about having her period.

The traditional romcom stuff is annoying as hell though.

Edited by GarlVinland at 17:30:45 23-10-2017
  • beastmaster 23 Oct 2017 18:16:12 17,646 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gotham S3 - 8/10

Yeah, I now it's got many problems but I can't help but enjoy this damn show. Supporting cast make it.

Riddler, Penguin, Alfred, Fox and Bullock all make up for shitty Bruce, Gordon and Kyle. By a long way.

Starting to see the beginnings of Batman and Catwoman and it's not too bad I suppose.

Just out of general interest, has the Court of Owls ever been a significant threat to Batman in any of the comic runs?

Edit: Morena Baccarin is totally stunning, And it's also got Michael Chiklis, who is fucking quality.

Edited by beastmaster at 18:19:22 23-10-2017
  • DrStrangelove 24 Oct 2017 13:35:34 11,312 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Trek: Enterprise (season 2)

Same as season 1. Painfully mediocre and half-baked. 6/10.

Star Trek: Enterprise (season 3)

The radical change in direction and focus mostly paid off, clearly more entertaining overall. However it is held back by captain Archer who's now the show's weakest spot. He could be annoying as naive do-gooder in s1+2, but his transformation to ruthless choleric makes him even less appealing to me, especially considering the real-world political context. 7/10.

Star Trek: Enterprise (season 4)

Surprisingly, not bad at all. It's difficult to imagine if you've only seen season 1+2, but this is well worth watching. Certainly doesn't rival the better stuff of earlier series, but I think it's better than Voyager ever was (checking that next). Sadly it was too late to save it from cancellation. I almost feel bad for the series now because of its undignified last episode. 8/10.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:15:32 27-10-2017
  • Blakester 25 Oct 2017 10:53:47 4,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Vietnam War - BBC4

Probably the most humbling, traumatic, upsetting and fascinating 10 hours you'll ever spend watching TV. A documentary so comprehensive, it somehow made sense of a war that the world is still struggling to understand.

It's a brilliant study of power, corruption, politics and the human condition told from both sides. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

10/10
  • jaxon58 25 Oct 2017 12:47:25 2,482 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Startup (series 1) - 9/10

Such a well written and acted show. Martin Freeman's American accent takes some getting used to. Great show with great characters. Highly recommended.
  • mudskipp 25 Oct 2017 13:10:13 20 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @beastmaster They've got a big role in early vols of the 'New 52' Batman series - worth a read if you like the comics!
  • reddevil93 25 Oct 2017 15:06:12 13,901 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    The Vietnam War - BBC4

Probably the most humbling, traumatic, upsetting and fascinating 10 hours you'll ever spend watching TV. A documentary so comprehensive, it somehow made sense of a war that the world is still struggling to understand.

It's a brilliant study of power, corruption, politics and the human condition told from both sides. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

10/10
    Is this the Ken Burn's one?
  • askew 25 Oct 2017 15:20:36 15,665 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup. I'm up to episode 6/7 - the Tet Offensive. The scale of the war is quite staggering for somebody who is only really familiar with it through pop culture.
  • Blakester 26 Oct 2017 09:57:14 4,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mindhunter

Despite the slight wobbly first episode, this was brilliantly compelling television.

Light on action and not particularly tense, the real pleasure was in the interview rooms where the dialogue was always fascinating. Amazing attention to detail in terms of costumes, sets and locations.

A few small niggles:

- Hannah is a very weak supporting character both in terms of her contribution to the narrative and the performance of the actor playing her. Hoping she's not in season 2.

- Holden's growing confidence became super irritating towards the end. I get that he was being set-up for a fall, but I thought it could have been handled a little better.

8.5/10
  • Deleted user 26 October 2017 20:23:49
    black sails seasons 2 and 3. Epic out of ten. It's up there with Breaking Bad and Sopranos for me. I'm still amazed at how much good tv there is nowadays.

Edited by mecha-DR at 20:24:13 26-10-2017
  • Dougs 26 Oct 2017 20:38:42 83,936 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bosch S3. Still some cracking, slow burning stuff. Looking forward to S4.

Now onto Narcos...
  • macmurphy 26 Oct 2017 20:40:34 2,581 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mecha-DR

Dies on its arse a bit in season 4. Let me know what you reckon but it’s true, the first three series are amazing.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2017 22:29:26
    Well the first episode of season 4 was fucking awesome so let's see.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Oct 2017 22:43:08 4,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gunpowder

All three episodes are up on iplayer so no need to wait three weeks to see it all broadcast.

Nice to see a take on the plot against James I that focuses on Catesby rather than Fawkes. Mark Gatiss is mostly excellent as Robert Cecil too. Not sure about the king himself but overall this is really strong. Obvious Peaky Blinders influence but that's no bad thing.

8.5/10
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Oct 2017 07:24:26 22,075 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe
    Have you watched/are you watching the documentary series "Elizabeth I's secret agents ?
    It is very good and concentrates on the Cecil family.

It is on iplayer
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Oct 2017 23:34:55 4,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 yeah, fascinating stuff. Definite recommending to anyone else interested in Gunpowder
  • Darth_Flibble 30 Oct 2017 21:17:53 2,861 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ash vs the evil dead season 2

Even better than the 1st season, it nice to have a series that does not take its self serious, has humour and fuck loads of gore.

10/10
  • Dougs 30 Oct 2017 22:05:59 83,936 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Has that been picked up anywhere over here? Quite enjoyed the first half a dozen of S1 then couldn't be bothered to fuck about with the hooky stuff.

Starting Black Sails next, to go alongside Narcos S3.
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Oct 2017 19:31:22 2,861 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Has that been picked up anywhere over here? Quite enjoyed the first half a dozen of S1 then couldn't be bothered to fuck about with the hooky stuff.
    Don't think so, always rent them from cinema paradiso. Netflix should pick up the show
  • RichDC 31 Oct 2017 20:56:12 7,572 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was on Virgin Media if you had their tv box.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Nov 2017 01:29:26 4,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Stranger Things 2

Retains most of what made the first series so good while upping the action and scale of events.

New cast range from excellent (Bob) to shit and pointless (Billy, the punks) but the returning cast hangs together so well that that does affect things too much.

Biggest criticism would be an entire episode that's obviously intended as character development and backstory completing being a massive drag and jarring tonal shift. I reckon skipping that episode wouldn't have hurt the series at all.

The pacing feels a bit off entering the final stages of the main plot but not enough to spoil anything.

I'd love to just have more time spent in the world of the series even without the monsters. The whole vibe and style of the show is so cool and the characters so well realised.

9/10
  • Dougs 1 Nov 2017 06:06:51 83,936 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble cheers, will check it out.
  • GarlVinland 1 Nov 2017 09:31:14 2,314 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Parks and Rec S1 - 4/10

I've seen a few episodes here and there before but never from start to finish, it was interesting to go back to the beginning and see their original vision for the show. Leslie is a complete sociopath! The humour is totally lacking and there's a bit of a mean streak. Also you would never tell that Ron would become an icon based on his screentime.

Then I moved onto S2 and from the first minute, all is well again. Currently on the episode where the Venezuelan diplomats visit. So good.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Nov 2017 12:34:49 4,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The End of The Fucking World (4 on demand)

Holy shit!
  • Negan 6 Nov 2017 07:45:49 371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Stranger Things S2

I think it's even better than the first, it's very much aliens to alien and that's always been my favourite. Wish I didn't binge it so quickly because a year for another one is a long wait.
  • Tuffty 7 Nov 2017 00:19:08 4,042 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This Is England 86

This is nice, like getting back together with old friends until it takes a drastically dark turn midway through. There's real high stakes drama with scenes that are incredibly disturbing to watch and fill you with dread.

This Is England 88

A darker series overall, with less humour than before but really delving into themes of loss and separation and further exploring into Woody and Lol, my 2 favourite characters. Shaun's such an unlikeable prick in this though.

This Is England 90

A nice little round off of the series as a whole. Equal parts funny, dark and emotionally wrenching.

I'd absolutely recommend everyone watch the movie and the mini series. It's superbly acted and the work of Ludovico Einaudi adds real weight to the dramatic moments. Just be prepared for some scenes that are difficult to watch.
  • Page

of 178 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.