Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 172

• Page

of 175 First / Last

• Negan 4 Oct 2017 00:00:58 311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Black sails is definitely next on the list.

It best be good, I have convinced my wife to give it a go and I'll never hear the end of it if it isn't.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 4 Oct 2017 06:39:49 1,247 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Got half way through the first series of black sails and most interest myself. Too many anything characters for me. Maybe they get great in the end, but in the beginning I didn't like any. Pretty sure my wife would have hated it.

We enjoyed lucifer season 3 start last night though .
  • ISmoke 5 Oct 2017 12:55:23 1,688 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New Netflix cartoon Big Mouth. About a bunch of kids going through puberty accommodated with personifications of hormones with the Hormone Monsters.

Genuinely had me laughing out loud at so many moments. Really hope there is a season 2
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Oct 2017 13:02:15 21,975 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doctor Foster series 1 and 2

Enjoyable
    7/10
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Oct 2017 08:50:51 4,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The IT crowd.

I know I'm really late to the party. It's a bit lame in places and predictable but that said many bits have me laughing hard. The cast is great and so perfectly cast. On to season 2! 8/10

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 08:51:06 06-10-2017
  • sirtacos 6 Oct 2017 21:56:17 8,009 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Outlander (Seasons 1 & 2)

A ww2 combat nurse accidentally time-travels back and forth from the 1940s to the 1740s.

Surprisingly good. I didn't expect to like it at all.

It's also unexpectedly violent (in terms of on-screen brutality, it actually outdoes Game of Thrones).

8/10

--

I was convinced that Outlander would just be a mediocre example of chick lit... and to be fair, at first glance it does look like a soapy costume drama. But it's so much more!

There's fighting, scheming, tits (and to a much lesser extent, cocks) and for the most part it's well-written and well acted, with high production values and a lovely soundtrack.

And while I was initially skeptical about the whole "romantic odyssey" thing, it's actually one of the best aspects of Outlander.

It's filling the void left by GoT quite nicely.

Edited by sirtacos at 15:33:09 08-10-2017
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Oct 2017 20:04:43 4,717 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Keepers

Netflix documentary about an unsolved murder and child abuse in Baltimore. Really well put together, narrative reveals itself in some heartbreaking ways. Sure along the way there are some moments when it gets tinfoil hatty in ways that seem far fetched but then the real cover up and conspiracy of silence is so big and sounds so familiar that it's so clear where the fingers should be pointing.

I guess a lot of people will compare it to Making a Murderer but it's like a lot less grey in this one. Much clearer sense of a fight for the truth and less feeling we weren't being shown everything.

Hopefully it's a success and the Baltimore authorities and Church are shamed into actually responding and looking into what they did/didn't do in the past.
  • Negan 8 Oct 2017 15:19:22 311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Narcos s3

Still as tense, interesting and great characters as the first 2. It some ways its actually better as well.

9/10
  • Stranded87 8 Oct 2017 15:25:11 1,650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:

I was convinced that Outlander would just be a mediocre example of chick lit... and to be fair, at first glance it does look like a soapy costume drama. But it's so much more!
    Hmm. Might have to give this another go. I watched the first 1 or 2 episodes with no real expectations one way or the other and came out of it with exactly the mediocre chick lit impression you mention.
  • sirtacos 8 Oct 2017 15:32:14 8,009 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:

Hmm. Might have to give this another go. I watched the first 1 or 2 episodes with no real expectations one way or the other and came out of it with exactly the mediocre chick lit impression you mention.
    TBF it is a bit overwrought and silly at times. I wasn't hooked until episode 6. To be honest it's an uneven show with a lot of flaws- it would be a guilty pleasure, but it has too many redeeming qualities to merit that label.

Edited by sirtacos at 05:08:42 09-10-2017
  • GarlVinland 9 Oct 2017 10:47:04 2,166 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sirtacos I've been meaning to watch Outlander, but as like a sci-fi GoT. Do they do much with the time travel aspect or is it just a thing that happens, and it's mostly period drama? Admittedly that part I'm less interested in.
  • sirtacos 9 Oct 2017 12:10:07 8,009 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you expect a sci-fi GoT you'll probably be disappointed, unfortunately.
    The time travel itself is more of a thing that happens - it's discussed in season 3, when some of the characters try to figure out how it works, but mostly I suppose it's just an excuse to dump a 20th centuy feminist perspective into 18th century Scotland and see what happens. (Lots of rape is what happens.)
  • GarlVinland 9 Oct 2017 13:14:58 2,166 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha cheers, might wait a bit before watching it then.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Oct 2017 13:23:14 4,717 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Total Bellas season 1

Bullshit E! reality show about a family of wrestlers.
    More fake than Monday Night Raw has ever been.
    Still oddly addictive viewing.
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2017 16:55:21 83,758 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bosch S2. Really starting to enjoy this. It's formulaic but so well done, it doesn't really matter. I did dream about epic shoot outs the other night though. 8.5/10.
  • wobbly_Bob 9 Oct 2017 19:49:45 4,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rick and Morty season 3.
    As expected it was great. For me, maybe bot quite up there with season 2 but it's damn close. The stories from the citadel episode was so good: an instant classic. 10/10
  • DrStrangelove 10 Oct 2017 20:14:39 11,191 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Trek: Enterprise - season 1

Not downright terrible, but rather bland and boring most of the time. Most of the time it just copy-pastes mediocre TNG/Voyager episodes, only with a less interesting crew.

6/10
  • wobbly_Bob 11 Oct 2017 08:16:03 4,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The good place

Despite garnering quite a bit of praise, i was reluctant to watch it because it really didn't look like my sort of thing. I was wrong! I'm really glad i gave this a chance. I found it rally funny and the twist was great! 9/10

Once all the episodes are available for season 2 I'll binge it.
  • GarlVinland 11 Oct 2017 09:30:02 2,166 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob Season 2 has been superb so far. :) Except Jason got even stupider and it's really annoying.
  • wobbly_Bob 11 Oct 2017 10:00:37 4,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GarlVinland

Dare i click on that spoiler. I am curious but...
  • Blakester 11 Oct 2017 10:09:54 4,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    @GarlVinland

Dare i click on that spoiler. I am curious but...
    It really won't be a surprise.
  • GarlVinland 11 Oct 2017 10:22:51 2,166 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob it wouldn't spoil anything for you, just everyone else. :)
  • wobbly_Bob 11 Oct 2017 13:04:54 4,218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob it wouldn't spoil anything for you, just everyone else. :)
    Ok. Clicked the spoiler. How is that even possible? lol
  • boo 16 Oct 2017 11:37:59 13,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A series from way back when. Ever since it was first broadcast in 1984, I've been meaning to watch The Beiderbecke Affair, and having picked up a boxed set of the whole Beiderbecke Trilogy recently, I finally got to see it last week.

Absolutely brilliant! Written by TV regular Alan Plater, it stars James Bolam and Barabara Flynn as two schoolteachers in Yorkshire who get drawn into a strange and slightly surreal mystery. The limited cast of characters are hilarious and the dialogue is dry, witty and is the funniest I've heard since Firefly. At six episodes it's pretty short, but the whole thing is hugely enjoyable. It's got the whole 'things are ever-so-slightly peculiar but no-one's mentioning it' vibe, and I have high hopes for the two subsequent series, The Beiderbecke Tapes and The Beiderbecke Connection.

Also, 1980s Barbara Flynn is utterly, utterly gorgeous.

9/10

(Docked a mark for the slightly (but only slightly) unsatisfactory ending.
  • Scimarad 16 Oct 2017 14:42:08 9,242 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Halt and Catch Fire is completely finished now:(

You know you've been watching something decent when you feel genuinely sad to say goodbye to the characters.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2017 17:36:18
    Black sails season 1, 7/10. Slowish start, but liking it more as it goes on, always a good sign for next seasons
  • mal 16 Oct 2017 18:25:47 28,510 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    boo wrote:
    A series from way back when. Ever since it was first broadcast in 1984, I've been meaning to watch The Beiderbecke Affair, and having picked up a boxed set of the whole Beiderbecke Trilogy recently, I finally got to see it last week.

Also, 1980s Barbara Flynn is utterly, utterly gorgeous.

9/10
    Yeah, I picked up a DVD of the BiederBeck Tapes a good few years ago now, largely for 1980s Barbara Flynn. Not sure the second series is quite as good as you report the first is, but it's still a classic TV couple up there with Tom and the other Barbara (seems a popular female name back then).
  • cowell 16 Oct 2017 19:06:11 1,351 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Master of None S2 - 9/10

Incredibly written, heartwarming, heartbreaking and on point with every topic it covers. Comedy drama from the US that isn't retreading the same ground every episode.
  • Negan 17 Oct 2017 00:09:22 311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Dr Foster - s2

Not sure what to score it, it was awful.

Classic case of not needing a second series.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Oct 2017 09:43:34 21,975 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Back
    Mitchell and Webb comedy. They and everyone else were excellent.
    I loved it. Mitchell's character Steve is essentially an older and boozier Mark. Webb not playing Jez though, but a more calculating role. Had some brilliant lines and situations. Special praise needs to go to Geoff, Steve's uncle, pretty much stole every scene he was in. Enjoyed as much as Peep Show and that there is high praise.

Vinyl's making a come back'
    'Yeah. For c*nts' ;)
    They don't right em like that anymore

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:44:41 17-10-2017
  • Page

of 175 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.