Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 78

• Page

of 91 First / Last

• wobbly_Bob 14 Mar 2014 09:16:44 1,628 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Rather belatedly, just got round to watching Eureka Series 1.

It was... ok. Once you realise that every episode has plot holes you could drive a truck through, and just let it go, it turns into a fun little series. It's a bit formulaic - some problem arises every week and despite the proliferation of genii, it usually falls to 'everyman' Carter to sort it out.
    And it's a little bit 'monster of the week'. They introduced the meta-arc with Beverly up to no good early on, and then pretty much forgot about it until the very end.

But I like the characters. Jo is great, and it's great to see Max Headroom back on the screen. Fargo appears to be Alan Carr's kid brother though...

I've got series 2, so will give that a go, but unless there's a bit of an uplift, may not bother with S3, S4 and S5.
    I doesn't get any better. it's just so samey.
  • Tabasco 14 Mar 2014 10:52:15 5,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It IS samey and doesn't get any better than the first season. But for some reason I just love it.

My biggest problem with Eureka is they have some great ideas with the various arc stories that appear but fail to complete even one...

I do think that the pilot ep is a really great example of how to do one VERY well.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2014 18:19:27 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eureka is one of my guilty pleasures as well.

And now a blast from the past...

Tour of Duty - Season 1

I remember watching these drunk as a student late at night on a black and white portable many years ago, fun memories. I'd been hunting for them on DVD for a while and they've finally been released as a complete boxed set so I snapped them up.

To be honest I wasn't sure if they'd stand up to rewatch, but I was wrong, after a couple of episodes I got to know the characters again and I was hooked.

In some ways it's a little tame compared to modern shows, but it still touches on pertinent issues of the war, each episode revolves around one of these issues. The combat is old school and lacks the gore, but that's not a bad things, it does the job and on occasions (especially the tense stealth approaches) is very effective.

And the soundtrack is simply superb.

8/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 18:23:45 16-03-2014

Edited by TechnoHippy at 20:07:59 16-03-2014

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• glaeken 18 Mar 2014 09:37:42 11,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hell on Wheels series 3 - 6/10 - Enjoyable enough with some pretty good individual episodes but as a whole it all seemed a bit direction less. There just seemed to be no overall story arc. Elam getting killed by a bear was also really silly. It came out of nowhere and it really did seem that it only happened because they had written themselves into a corner with how to resolve Elam trying to rescue Cullen given Cullen no longer needed rescuing. The writers answer to their problem being to beam down a bear and have it kill Elam. Of course with this series being killed might not mean he is actually dead given what the Swede survived.

Edited by glaeken at 09:45:30 18-03-2014
  • TechnoHippy 19 Mar 2014 16:19:30 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tour of Duty - Season 2

I'm really enjoying watching through these again, the second series follows a slightly different format to the first. The platoon are now based near Saigon so there's more activity beyond their action in the jungle, it also allows for a wider variety of characters, allowing for more variety in the storylines.

It still follows the format of a specific feature of the war with each episode, but it also builds a greater connection between the episodes than in the first series.

It's not often I agree with Ricky Gervais, but the Vietnam war did have the best soundtrack.

7/10

• SFD 19 Mar 2014 16:43:55 481 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    House of cards season 1

Excellent.

9/10
  • onestepfromlost 19 Mar 2014 21:18:16 2,039 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Tour of Duty - Season 2

I'm really enjoying watching through these again, the second series follows a slightly different format to the first. The platoon are now based near Saigon so there's more activity beyond their action in the jungle, it also allows for a wider variety of characters, allowing for more variety in the storylines.

It still follows the format of a specific feature of the war with each episode, but it also builds a greater connection between the episodes than in the first series.

It's not often I agree with Ricky Gervais, but the Vietnam war did have the best soundtrack.

7/10
    has the version youre watching got the original music in it? like the Stones etc. ( not just the theme tune but in the episodes). I know there was a version going about where the period music was replaced by incidental music due to licensing issues and it kinda took away from the style a bit.
  • Dante_Cubit 20 Mar 2014 11:07:10 1,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True Detective 9/10

Fantastic character driven show with stellar scripting and performances. This is the golden age of high quality US TV.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2014 19:30:02 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @onestepfromlost

No, it's all original tracks and all the more awesome because of it.

• wobbly_Bob 22 Mar 2014 20:24:31 1,628 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grimm ( seasons 1 & 2 )

This didn't really gel with me to start and wasn't even sure I would make it through the entire season but there were a few elements that I did like and it had a certain something so carried on and ended up really liking it very much! I felt the show needed a decent story arc and not mostly just monster of the week and alos the vessen(sp?) were a bit dull by being just ordinay people but with animal faces. I wished that the vessen could be more interesting and have powers or abilities. Both of my issues with season one were sorted out with season two and even the first season got better as it went.

The show, for me, is still not without it's problems. A lot of the characters could do with some fleshing out and made more interesting. Take Hank, for an example of a character that needs fleshing out. What does he like? What are his fears and loves? All he is in the show is partner to Nick.

So ended up really enjoying it and now i'm looking forward to season 2!

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2014 20:41:56 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Grimm is a fun watch, I like the captain.

• faux_carnation 23 Mar 2014 13:02:35 9,083 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (seasons 1-3) - 5/10

I've been watching it sort of non-stop in the background whilst doing other things. It's just about good enough for me to keep watching it, but not good enough to really care about. The first series was quirky with an interesting darkish tone, but it's been getting sillier and more repetitive as it's gone on. There's a lot of attempts to garner laughter through SHOUTING which don't really work. I'm sort of both drawn in and repulsed by the grimy, scruffy aesthetic of everything. I'll probably keep watching but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Boatmurdered FC

• TarickStonefire 23 Mar 2014 13:31:54 2,903 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (seasons 1-3) - 5/10

I've been watching it sort of non-stop in the background whilst doing other things. It's just about good enough for me to keep watching it, but not good enough to really care about. The first series was quirky with an interesting darkish tone, but it's been getting sillier and more repetitive as it's gone on. There's a lot of attempts to garner laughter through SHOUTING which don't really work. I'm sort of both drawn in and repulsed by the grimy, scruffy aesthetic of everything. I'll probably keep watching but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    I, on the other hand, recommend it heartily to all and sundry. We *love* this show in our house. Along with Alan Partridge, Parks & Rec & Portlandia it's like televisual wallpaper we have it on so often.

Definitely picks up when Danny DeVito joins the cast in the second series, and yes there's a lot of shouting and craziness, but that's the appeal for us: that pretty much every single character is an utterly terrible human being, and the lack of respect they all have for each other. They fail in some way in every episode, and we love that :)

Each to their own though!

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Bloobat 23 Mar 2014 13:40:30 196 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Banshee Season 2 - Even better than the first season, very gritty drama and well worth a watch with fantastic acting!
    9/10

Betas Season 1 - Available exclusively on Amazon Instant Video I really enjoyed this and am hoping for a second season!
    8/10

Alpha House Season 1 - Another Amazon Instant Video exclusive this was surprisingly good even though I know next to nothing about American Politics
    8/10
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Mar 2014 19:51:05 1,625 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grimm season 1- I agree with the post a few above this one, it takes it time to getting going but picks up a lot. not that the early episodes are poor, just monster of the week - 8/10

Homeland season 1 - Great show as most people know who have seen it already. Shame morena baccarin does not get naked that often and looks awful with the short hair. The Jazz music seems really out of place. 9/10
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2014 21:26:34 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tour of Duty - Season 3

Three seasons wasn't enough, I enjoyed watching through them again. In this season they're with the special forces so it mixed the action up further and some of the politics was quite interesting. The last two episodes were a bit of a downer, but only to be expected considering the subject matter.

8/10

• Blakester 25 Mar 2014 09:04:14 3,580 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Modern Family - Season 1

Consistently funny and often beautifully observed thanks to some razor-sharp writing. Some of the characters tread a very fine line between being charming and annoying but the length of each episode ensures no-one has too much screen time.

I do find myself overly distracted by Gloria though. That voice, but oh my god that body :confused:

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• beastmaster 25 Mar 2014 12:10:37 11,190 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Clone Wars - Season 1 - 8.5/10

Well, I wasn't expecting that. Superb animation, sound and voice acting (but Mace Windu seems to fluctuate a bit).

The episodes are well put together and the plot is very good indeed. Genuinely exciting action, tension etc. These are everything the prequels should have been.

I hear it gets better as it goes along. Excellent as there are 6 seasons on Netlix US now.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• onestepfromlost 25 Mar 2014 14:30:52 2,039 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah ive been watching the clone wars too. Its a little sugary saccharine at times with the life lessons its obviously trying to teach a la most kids stuff.

It was only in the second series that it clicked that this just made it pretty dark. Anakin Skywalker the noble heroic save the youngsters type who in a year or so will become the most evil man in the universe.
  • Dougs 28 Mar 2014 16:43:07 66,721 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Luther S3 - 9/10. My man-love for Idris Elba grows even stronger. He's chuffing ace! Thought this was the best so far.

Edited by Dougs at 16:58:42 28-03-2014
  • Blakester 28 Mar 2014 16:47:39 3,580 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Luther S4 - 9/10. My man-love for Idris Elba grows even stronger. He's chuffing ace! Thought this was the best so far.
    Season 4?

Did I miss one?

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Dougs 28 Mar 2014 16:58:28 66,721 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, maybe it was 3. The last one, anyway!
  • PierrePressure 28 Mar 2014 17:14:32 100 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

I love It's Always Sunny...

Those guys are super talented too, The Nightman Cometh a prime example.

And the Lethel Weapon 5 episode :lol:
  • Gambit1977 28 Mar 2014 18:28:14 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Grimm season 1- I agree with the post a few above this one, it takes it time to getting going but picks up a lot. not that the early episodes are poor, just monster of the week - 8/10

Homeland season 1 - Great show as most people know who have seen it already. Shame morena baccarin does not get naked that often and looks awful with the short hair. The Jazz music seems really out of place. 9/10

probably reading too much into it but i always assumed the jazz music was representative of Carries crazy brain
  • glaeken 29 Mar 2014 11:56:20 11,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ripper Street series 2 - 6/10 - It looks great and I like the cast but the plots can be a bit silly. It did actually improve quite a bit in the last two episodes.

It does suffer from the BBC issue of them trying to have moral messages in their drama. One episode about homosexuals in particular sticks out where everyone has to learn that maybe it's not such a terrible thing and inspector Reid is constantly musing on the subject to show off the fact he is a progressive thinker. It's really heavy handed and I don't think this type of thing has any place in drama. If you want to make a moral statement it can be done without explicitly spelling it out. There were also moral message episodes on the evil of big business and equality.

Edited by glaeken at 14:58:54 29-03-2014
  • Gunzberg 29 Mar 2014 12:36:22 1,731 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gave up on Ripper Street after Season 1. It was just so dull, slow and plodding. All the magic was lost forever.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• glaeken 29 Mar 2014 15:00:15 11,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You did not miss much. I think there would be great potential for something set in that period but the writing is just not up to much and it's too preachy.
  • Latin 31 Mar 2014 09:53:40 3,601 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched seasons 1 & 2 of Justified in the last week...

The first season probably had a couple of unnecessary filler episodes, but Season 2 was great throughout.

Raylan Givens vs Boyd Crowder... It's like Batman vs The Joker!

Will give it a 9/10... It isn't quite up there with Game of Thrones, but what is!?
  • CosmicFuzz 31 Mar 2014 09:57:38 23,334 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just about done with Bates Motel, need something really good to balance it out. Loved season 1 of Justified, think I might as well go onto season 2!

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• tincanrocket 31 Mar 2014 09:58:08 2,905 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Adventure Time - Season One

lumpyspaceprincess/10
  • Page

of 91 First / Last