Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 63

• Page

of 91 First / Last

• Deleted user 10 August 2013 16:56:39
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The second half will be on in around a day or two.

Of Breaking Bad season 5, that is.
    Ahh ok. Thanks, just had a look now, and its being aired on Netflix. I will just wait for a complete boxset of the season. Didn't realise i wasn't that far behind. :)
  • sirtacos 11 Aug 2013 01:12:19 7,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Americans

Surprisingly few people are talking about this.
    Despite its flaws (namely, situations that stretch suspension of disbelief and sometimes break it completely), it's a great series. The concept is wonderful, the actors have good chemistry and it's consistently thrilling.

Edit: it's also funny.

8/10

Edited by sirtacos at 15:15:35 19-08-2013
  • RyanDS 13 Aug 2013 19:35:18 9,062 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And Season 4 of Voyager down.

And you know what? I am actually quite enjoying it. The characters are still lacking in general, and there is absolutely zero chemistry between the actors. (I read a fair bit about how in TNG and to a lesser extent DS9 the actors all hung out together, had fun and generally loved it, however in Voyager there was tension and it was just a job. I feel this shows in the show.)

In terms of the characters...
    Janeway... eurgh
    Kim... bland
    Paris... I actually quite like, he would make a good secondary character on another show
    Tuvok... Same as Paris
    Belanna... Um, she is on screen sometimes.

Which leaves only the Doctor as a character I really enjoy.

Saying that this season introduces 7 of 9, and wow, it really does make a difference. Obviously she was hired for her tits, but she really does bring a spark to the show, with finally some character development and some interesting episodes based around her. I can see why ratings went up 60% after she was hired. Come for the tits, stay for the rather good character.

In terms of the plots, there are some fantastic episodes, I think it was Dirtbox who said that Voyager has some of the best Trek writing ever, and I fully agree, some of the episodes were genuinely awesome and if they were done with DS9 or TNG where we had characters we loved they would have been stone cold classics, as they are they are still great. For example Year of Hell, Message in a Bottle, Hunters, Prey and the season finale are all very enjoyable. There is also a trend back to ToS type bottle episode where they do awkward, cheesy morale episodes that are nontheless fun.

A solid 7/10 for me.
  • sirtacos 15 Aug 2013 02:57:33 7,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Homeland (season 1)

A promising show with an interesting premise. The final two episodes, however, ruined everything for me. From the redundant deus ex machina in the penultimate episode, to the frustrating turns of events that follow - we essentially end up back at square one for no better reason than to milk ratings and shoehorn a second season in there.
    Also, Carrie's falling in love with Brody was a bit shit. I understand that she's not entirely stable and rational. I also get that she'd become fascinated with, and attached to, the subject of her investigations - but that whole illicit romance plot line weighed down the season's middle, IMO.

6/10

Edited by sirtacos at 03:17:58 15-08-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Aug 2013 07:34:36 14,419 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Sopranos Season 3
    Yet again must see tv. Tony was a lot darker the last half of the season. Just how good are the "bad guys" Richie in 2 and now Ralphie in 3 and beyond I assume.
    10/10

Season 4 starts tomorrow after the kids are in bed. This box set is playing havoc with my Gaming nights ;)
    Sopranos season 4
    Please see above :)

Season 5 starts tonight.
    Sopranos season 5
    Excellent season, trippy dream episode and Ade got retired :(
    Season 6 starts tonight, so sad that it is coming to an end. I have loved every minute of every episode since I satrted season 1 a few weeks back.
    10/10

@trout
    Sounds like a plan mate.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:19:31 15-08-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 15 August 2013 09:18:10
    Give it a year or so Duff and re-watch it all again. It's even better the 2nd time.

One of the greatest tv shoes ever.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Aug 2013 09:22:56 14,419 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @iHAZaCHEEZ3burger
    :)
    We fancy Boardwalk Empire next, but I will wait for a box set. I think our next tele- visual feast will be Lewis/Endeavour...love me some of that, different tone of course, but still killings and such

On another matter, you obviously decided against Gears J ?

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 15 August 2013 09:26:21
    @DUFFMAN5

If you haven't watched The Wire I would suggest that too, definitely on par with The Sopranos. It's a great tv show.

Boardwalk Empire is very good too, but if you want a show that has finished it's run it is probably best to wait.

I've still got it, just can't muster the enthusiasm to play it. I just know it will be a disappointment. that and I am addicted to the COD mp again.
  • L0cky 15 Aug 2013 10:26:55 1,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Killing S3 7/10

A lot better than the second season. They should have really wrapped up the first season and made this the second one. It worked a lot better with a new story.
  • Razz 15 Aug 2013 11:09:52 60,771 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Killing (US) Season 1

Waste of time, started out well, but got progressively worse. Watching the original now.

6/10

Edited by Razz at 11:10:03 15-08-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• MrTomsk 15 Aug 2013 23:21:39 4 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Justified Season 1

Timothy Olyphant does same character from Deadwood in modern setting. Pretty enjoyable as an updated western series.

7/10
  • shooter 16 Aug 2013 00:31:11 394 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didnt find him anything like his character from deadwood. Sure he's a cowboy but personality wise i wouldnt say he was witty and wise cracking in deadwood!!
  • sirtacos 17 Aug 2013 14:05:10 7,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Homeland (season 2)

It's arguably worse than the first season... but I enjoyed this one more. Perhaps because I was more involved with the characters? Anyway, despite my numerous criticisms of it, this whole series is much better than I expected it to be.

7/10
  • Madder-Max 17 Aug 2013 15:43:53 11,622 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Continuum season 2

Fucking hell that was depressing wasn't it? Thank fuck season 3 has been comissioned and will be shown on syfy in 2014.

I do think however that season three will be a bit of a confused mess now they have opened the pandoras box of alternate timelines etc. Plot holes galore!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• TechnoHippy 17 Aug 2013 21:50:35 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shooter wrote:
    I didnt find him anything like his character from deadwood. Sure he's a cowboy but personality wise i wouldnt say he was witty and wise cracking in deadwood!!
    Agreed, the stick was partially removed from his bottom in Justified.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• IJ 17 Aug 2013 23:43:16 802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IJ wrote:
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    finally watched firefly 10/10

such a travesty that this was canned before it even began when nowadays you have revolution receiving second series and being utterly shite
    Does it get better? I watched the feature-length first episode yesterday and I thought it was pretty average, not bad but the script was a bit embarrassing at times and the acting was meh. I enjoyed Farscape all those years ago so the B-movie effects aren't putting me off, it just didn't strike me as anything special at this stage.
    Firefly - 9/10

Boy does it get better. What a series, what a travesty it got canceled just as it got going. After a ropey feature length first episode, it really kicks into gear. Great characters, light-hearted and fun. Really enjoyed it all. Only disappointed no ends were really tied up. I've bought Serenity on ebay for 36p, yes 36 pence, as it doesn't seem to be available to rent anywhere. Can't wait.

Now I'm looking for my next sic-fi hit to try and fill the void. Any opinions between Andromeda, Battlestar: Galactica, Babylon 5.....?

Edited by IJ at 23:53:07 17-08-2013
  • Jono62 18 Aug 2013 07:59:58 13,961 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Battlestar Galactica is a must watch! Watch the mini series first.
  • vijay_UK 18 Aug 2013 08:50:51 2,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Babylon 5 trashes any sci-fi. BSG is very good.
  • TechnoHippy 18 Aug 2013 10:17:43 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Continuum - Season 2

Not great, but a fun watch, it picked up a bit for the finale.

6/10

• Bananazniper 18 Aug 2013 11:06:19 585 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now I'm looking for my next sic-fi hit to try and fill the void. Any opinions between Andromeda, Battlestar: Galactica, Babylon 5.....?
    Battlestar Galactica is fantastic. It's a great sci-fi show but more than that, it's a great show full stop. One of the best shows of any genre in the last 10 years.
  • Dante_Cubit 18 Aug 2013 11:13:28 1,885 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    East Bound and Down - Series 1 through 3

Amusing and with odd moments of surprising depth. Could have done without the last 2 minutes if the final series but still a decent ending.

I understand they have actually commissioned another series - seems a step too far...
  • IJ 18 Aug 2013 11:27:11 802 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bananazniper wrote:
    Battlestar Galactica is fantastic. It's a great sci-fi show but more than that, it's a great show full stop. One of the best shows of any genre in the last 10 years.
    Thanks, after reading a few reviews it seems the one to go for.
  • killersrquiet 18 Aug 2013 12:02:59 1,854 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Jono62

I was about to start watching this series. Didn't know there was a mini series prologue. Thanks for the heads up jono
  • killersrquiet 18 Aug 2013 12:06:23 1,854 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The pacific

Running through some stuff I've watched before.

In many ways the pacific is superior to band of brothers yet is lacks pace and has far to much pointless stuff and not enough combat.

Still a powerful programme and its the characters that bring it to life.

8.5 / 10
  • TechnoHippy 18 Aug 2013 18:14:12 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Shield - Season 4

More great television. Glen Close as the new captain made a real difference to the show which I enjoyed.

9/10

• glaeken 19 Aug 2013 08:59:14 11,100 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Justified series 4 - 8/10 - As entertaining as ever. Great dialog and fun story lines.

Edited by glaeken at 08:59:57 19-08-2013
  • boo 19 Aug 2013 09:44:46 11,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As this is the place for people who watch DVD boxed sets...

What's the verdict on 'Community'?

I've not seen it, but it sounds like my sort of thing. Gets pretty good Amazon reviews, too.

Worth picking up?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Tonka 19 Aug 2013 10:05:54 20,019 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Community is either loved or yawned.

I'm firmly in the "not getting the hype" camp. All brains and no heart. (Community that is, not me personally. I'm the whole package)

It's like Malcolm in the Middle meets Family Guy sprinkled with a massive dose of "I don't give a shit about any of the characters"

Some nice set pieces, some good (yet tired) meta jokes.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• thefilthandthefury 19 Aug 2013 10:09:00 24,952 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a big fan, but it's one hell of a grower. Took me a long time to get into it at first. Abed steals the show.
  • Dougs 19 Aug 2013 10:14:43 66,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love it. Clicked with me straight away.
  • Page

of 91 First / Last