• Page

of 91 First / Last

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 09:52:26 2,903 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Blotto wrote:
    Wasn't part of the deal with House of Cards that they got two seasons commissioned right out the gate?
    3 seasons of 4 episodes each. And yes I do believe the first two came together.
    I meant the US remake. I'm sure that Netflix commissioned two at once to sweeten the deal.
    Yeah they commissioned 26 episodes over two seasons.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 09:54:33 2,903 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    For anyone who's seen all of Fringe. Does the story ever drop the 'freak of the week' formula? I'm enjoying it, wifey is getting a bit bored of it, we're about 4 episodes into season 2.
    I think she'd rather it just focused more on one big story, which I can see it kind of does it's just revealing aspects of the bigger picture very slowly.
    Yes, it drops it almost completely very soon and goes off in a much better story-arc direction which, looking back to season one, was actually signposted the whole way. Or at least they did a very good job of making it look that way.

Keep your eyes open for bald men in suits and hats, they're usually in the background of 'important' scenes, especially ones in public.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:56:09 22-06-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TechnoHippy 24 Jun 2013 20:26:56 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jericho - Season 1

I enjoyed watching this again. It's silly, but entertaining silly.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• munki83 24 Jun 2013 22:45:28 1,400 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hannibal 8/10

A fantastic series that's been consistently good and has a great series finale
  • L0cky 25 Jun 2013 00:22:11 1,501 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    7/10 from me.

Thankfully S2 is going ahead.
  • dsmx 25 Jun 2013 00:47:18 7,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    24. Rewatched series 1,2 and 3.

1: Still brilliant, compelling, bit slow in places but utterly riveting from start to finish. 9/10

2: bad first half, adventures of kim are complete fluff to pad out the episodes but the second half of the season gets far better and it finishes really well. 7/10

3: Some great twists to the story doesn't quite get to the highs of the first season but there's some great actionto make up for that and sherry is still annoying as hell but she's..leave that there. 8/10

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• TechnoHippy 25 Jun 2013 13:42:36 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jericho - Season 2

Short, but we're lucky to have it at all. It feels a little rushed, but it's a fitting conclusion to the story.

7/10

• TechnoHippy 27 Jun 2013 20:38:35 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Touch - Season 2

I'm probably in the minority but I quite liked this. It's an interesting idea and the story unfolded nicely. I would have liked them to have delved into the mystery of the sequence a bit more, but never mind. And Jack Bauer managed to slip in a bit of torture now and again.

I hope there's a third series.

7/10

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 23:33:24
    Friday Night Lights Season 4

The most manipulative tv show ever created. Can see where each plot thread is going, but i still get suckered in, sobbed on several occasions. But they handle each plot thread really well, and the characters are so well drawn that you really do care for them, which this seasons pulls of so dramatically well with almost a an entirely new cast of characters.

Manipulative, but really has a lot to say underneath, which saves it from being the OC.

Thought the season struggled a little bit after a mid season high, but the last couple of episodes really make up for it.

Easily one of my all time favourite tv shows.

9/10
  • glaeken 4 Jul 2013 09:39:15 11,108 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Banshee - 8/10 - Really good stuff. Great characters and a nice anti-hero type thing going on. It ended with some nice teasers for next season.
  • vijay_UK 4 Jul 2013 13:36:20 2,079 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Game of Thrones - Season One

I don't know why I thought I wouldn't be able to get into this, but I found it to be extremely engaging with some outstanding performances. Peter Dinklage, Charles Dance and Sean Bean stood out, but the rest were excellent also.

Looking forward to Season 2.

10/10

Edited by vijay_UK at 13:36:50 04-07-2013
  • TechnoHippy 4 Jul 2013 22:18:15 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    American Gothic

American Gothic ranks in my top 5 favourite TV shows (along with Millennium, Twin Peaks, Firefly and West Wing), sadly like some great shows it only had a single series. For me one of the marks of a truly great show is that whenever I watch it I enjoy it a little bit more.

American Gothic is set in a traditional southern small town in the US, the town is run by the Sheriff, Lucas Buck, but he is more than he seems. The show starts with him murdering a young woman as part of his bid to gain custody of his illegitimate so Caleb. At first it appears that the sheriff is just a corrupt cop with his fingers in all the pies, but you soon learn that he is so much more than that, he's the devil himself (or something pretty close).

Despite being an evil character (or maybe because of it) Lucas is an excellent character to watch in action. He oozes good old southern boy charm and he knows how to manipulate a situation. His son is also an excellent character, impressively so considering his age.

The series follow's Lucas' efforts to get Caleb to accept him as his father, while the ghost of Caleb's sister (the girl Lucas killed at the beginning) tries to stop it. There's a host of other fun characters in there, Caleb's cousin, the reporter, Doctor Matt, a good variety of support that provide interest as well as their own stories.

This is horror TV at its best, it doesn't rely on shock or gore, but good old fashioned charm and creepiness.

10/10

• Dougs 4 Jul 2013 22:27:27 66,717 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love AG. Stone cold classic. Did have them on tape once upon a time, now sadly lost forever. Shame it's not on Netflix or something.
  • TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2013 14:15:06 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the box set is on 15 on Amazon.

• Dougs 5 Jul 2013 14:17:23 66,717 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice, sure I looked a while back and it was import only. Didn't the US show them out of order or something mental?
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Jul 2013 14:25:47 16,853 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's something at the door.

I loved American Gothic, such a shame it never got any further, it was so well realised.

Weird that the actor playing Caleb ended up being in Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift!

You are a factory of sadness.

• TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2013 15:10:30 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dougs

Apparently they did - here's the box set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EBEIFI

• TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2013 21:34:05 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Unit - Season 1

I enjoyed rewatching this, for those that don't know it's a series based on the activities of a Delta Force team. It has a good mix of the operational and family side of the unit members. The action feels reasonably authentic, although it does have the odd silly moment, but not enough to spoil the show. Good fun to watch.

8/10

• Kostabi 6 Jul 2013 22:38:44 4,878 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fringe Season 2 - 8.5/10

Much preferred this to the first season as even the 'monster of the week' type episodes seem to nudge the main arc along. I was surprised it went full batshit so quickly as even the X-Files took 3 or 4 seasons before going off the deep end but it seems to work for whatever reason.
  • mrpon 6 Jul 2013 23:17:01 28,483 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trust me, it hasn't even touched full batshit.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• shooter 12 Jul 2013 21:42:48 394 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deadwood Season 1 - 9/10

What a great show from first episode to last. A whole host of interesting characters led by an awesome performance by Ian Mc Shane. I only watched this as im a big fan of justified and heard timoty olyphant was a cowboy in it but that cocksucker al swearengen stole the show.

Highly recommended to the few that probably havent seen it by now
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jul 2013 21:10:31 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Unit - Season 2

More good stuff. As before they maintain a good balance between the operational and family side. They also manage to keep the missions varied and interesting. An entertaining watch.

8/10

• TechnoHippy 14 Jul 2013 12:35:11 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Warehouse 13 - Season 4

More good fun. I enjoy the chemistry between the team and the focus on the main story arc was a bit more interesting. It ends on a suitable cliffhanger as well.

6/10

• Deleted user 15 July 2013 08:14:47
    The Wire S1 - 9/10

Very believable and after a slow start everything really builds really well throughout the season. There's some great characters and acting.

The Wire S2 - 8/10

Still enjoyed it, but I didn't like the dock workers plot as much.

Onto season 3 now and it seems like it could be the best yet.
  • glaeken 17 Jul 2013 09:49:02 11,108 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jo S1 - 4/10 - Not sure how I really made it through it but it is only about six episodes so maybe that is it. On the face of it having Jean Reno as a trouble policeman solving crime in Paris could have been Ok but a very strange decision seems to have been made during production and that was everyone would speak in a faux American accent apart from Reno this despite the fact most of the cast seem to be English. It really destroys any French atmosphere the thing may have had. You also have the very weird situation where some characters are meant to be American but you don't realise this because everyone speaks with an American accent. Also amusingly enough one episode features a women speaking with an English accent and Reno tells her he can tell by her accent she is Australian. Maybe the fact Reno is the only one with a French accent actually means he is English? How did any of this nonsense get past the production crew?

The writing itself is not up to much if you can get beyond the whole weird accents thing. Clearly whoever made this had the main aim of selling it to America.
  • TechnoHippy 18 Jul 2013 19:36:25 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Unit - Season 3

A short season this one. It started well, but they didn't capitalise on the storyline as much as they could have. It's still an entertaining watch, but the shift in balance to the home side weakens it a little.

7/10

• ronuds 18 Jul 2013 19:56:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shooter wrote:
    Deadwood Season 1 - 9/10

What a great show from first episode to last. A whole host of interesting characters led by an awesome performance by Ian Mc Shane. I only watched this as im a big fan of justified and heard timoty olyphant was a cowboy in it but that cocksucker al swearengen stole the show.

Highly recommended to the few that probably havent seen it by now
    I submit that Swearengen is one of the greatest characters in television history.
  • oceanmotion 18 Jul 2013 20:22:28 15,663 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alias Season 1-4

Quite enjoyable and silly. The main plot is just absurd every time they mention it but the characters make it a good watch and I like most of them. Really grew on me even if plots, solutions are so throwaway along with the dress up being a teenage dream.

7/10

About to start the last season which I hear is a bit of a disaster.
  • Jono62 18 Jul 2013 20:36:07 13,962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @iHAZaCHEEZ3burger Did you manage to get all 5 series?

The Walking Dead S1 9/10

Really good series about zombies. Good acting and while short, only six episodes, there was no filler and every episode was a continuation of the next. Worth a watch. Got S2 to watch and I'm hoping the quality is the same.
  • Jono62 18 Jul 2013 20:41:59 13,962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @oceanmotion The last season was affected Garners pregnancy. I enjoyed the series as a whole. Ron Rifkin was very menacing.
  • Page

of 91 First / Last