Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 55

• Page

of 92 First / Last

• souvlaki 7 May 2013 23:26:49 717 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hit and miss
    Wikiepedia entry

No idea who recommended this to me, but found it on the hard drive and watched the lot in a couple of evenings (6 episodes). English thing (Sky) with an American actress (ChloŽ Sevigny) playing a bloke who is a hit man that inherits a family. Weird shit and a bit different than the norm but I loved it.

It has a great soundtrack too. Such a shame Sky have refused to do another series. It's Firefly all over again :(

9.9/10
  • Carlo 7 May 2013 23:30:30 17,989 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    hit and miss
    Wikiepedia entry

No idea who recommended this to me, but found it on the hard drive and watched the lot in a couple of evenings (6 episodes). English thing (Sky) with an American actress (ChloŽ Sevigny) playing a bloke who is a hit man that inherits a family. Weird shit and a bit different than the norm but I loved it.

It has a great soundtrack too. Such a shame Sky have refused to do another series. It's Firefly all over again :(

9.9/10
    Found 6 episodes and queued them. Sounds good.

PSN ID: Djini

• TarickStonefire 8 May 2013 17:11:43 2,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Re: Top Of The Lake

Goodfella wrote:
    @TarickStonefire

I've watched three episodes and cant get into it at all. It's quite weird how all the people interact, what's normal to them is rather unnatural behaviour to me.

Maybe that's just how people are in New Zealand.
    Watched the first episode and I think I see what you mean. It's all a bit understated, and the relationships are weird. But I like it, precisely because it's not natural behaviour, and yet it also doesn't seem un-natural either. Like, it seems like this is natural to them, and I find that interesting. Kind of like how the weird way people live and talk in Fargo is entirely alien to me, but also really compelling and sells the story being told. To me anyway.

Also I didn't realise pretty much the best character/actress from Mad Men is the lead, which is great.

(Yeah, I think she's better than Don Draper. I said it. Sue me.)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• glaeken 8 May 2013 17:22:14 11,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The following - 6/10 - Bacon and Purefoy were great but I thought it lost a lot of steam towards the end. The last episode in particular was underwhelming. And clearly Purefoy's character is not dead else next series it's going to about pixie girl and that is not going anywhere.
  • BinaryBob101 8 May 2013 18:06:49 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Americans S01 - 8/10

Not a lot of love for this show here at EG and I've been on a bit of a personal crusade trying to get more folk to have a gander.

It focusses on a couple of Soviet spies, in deep cover in Washington at the height of the cold war in the 80s and what happens when an FBI agent somewhat conveniently moves in across the road and wants to be fwends.

The acting is top-notch from all players and the period setting is done very well too.

Ok, it's not quite up there with the Breaking Bads, Sopranos, Game of Thrones crowd, but it is a very entertaining adult drama in it's own right and the second season has been given the greenlight, so now's a good time to give it a try.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 18:07:27 08-05-2013

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• TechnoHippy 8 May 2013 21:05:08 14,705 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stargate Atlantis - Season 5

It's a shame that there is no more, but I enjoyed it. A reasonably satisfying ending as well.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TheSaint 8 May 2013 22:14:11 14,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Americans S01 - 8/10

Not a lot of love for this show here at EG and I've been on a bit of a personal crusade trying to get more folk to have a gander.

It focusses on a couple of Soviet spies, in deep cover in Washington at the height of the cold war in the 80s and what happens when an FBI agent somewhat conveniently moves in across the road and wants to be fwends.

The acting is top-notch from all players and the period setting is done very well too.

Ok, it's not quite up there with the Breaking Bads, Sopranos, Game of Thrones crowd, but it is a very entertaining adult drama in it's own right and the second season has been given the greenlight, so now's a good time to give it a try.
    +1

Just finished the last episode tonight and we really enjoyed. FX is home to some of the best shows currently on TV IMO.
  • TarickStonefire 9 May 2013 17:05:24 2,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Americans S01 - 8/10

+1

Just finished the last episode tonight and we really enjoyed. FX is home to some of the best shows currently on TV IMO.
    Add me to the voices of approval, it was probably Bob there that tipped me off in the first place. Enjoyed it a lot. Sure there's plot holes and stuff, it's not exactly The Wire, but then I watched one series of that and that was enough for me so...

Anyway, The Americans good, 8/10.

• glaeken 9 May 2013 17:15:17 11,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Hit and Miss. 9/10.

This was a pleasant surprise, thanks to souvlaki who mentioned it at the top of this page, as i'd never heard of it.

Chloe Sevigny was brilliant, and convincing as the transexual hitman. Wasn't keen on the elder kids (miserable and obnoxious) but the little girl and boy were delightful.

So great seeing a 'woman' beating up areshole blokes and being badass, but also vulnerable, so it was believable.

Shame they never intended to make a second series.
    I did not think she pulled off the naked scenes very well. Sticking a prosthetic cock on an attractive women does not make for a convincing man in my book.

Anyway it did not rate that highly to me. I think I would more give it a 6/10. Assassins who snipe with sub machine guns and have their own custom guns that they use again and again make it all a little silly on the realism front. No idea why they did not bother to get those details right as they seemed to be going for a serious tone.

Edited by glaeken at 17:20:24 09-05-2013
  • glaeken 9 May 2013 17:21:58 11,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the acting was Ok I just think they were way to feminine looking for the part. I never bought them as a man.

Edited by glaeken at 17:23:07 09-05-2013
  • glaeken 9 May 2013 17:38:31 11,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I guess it's confirmation bias. The only ones I have even seen have looked like men. The ones that don't I have presumably just not noticed.
  • souvlaki 9 May 2013 18:01:02 717 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen both types. She worked for me. I also think she wasn't meant to be that good a hitman (Manc criminal), so that worked for me as well in that she was a bit shit with her choice of weapons etc.
  • WrongShui 10 May 2013 18:46:12 6,609 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Community Season 4 - 7/10

Not as funny as the previous seasons, but I still enjoyed it and the finale was good. I wouldn't be upset if it was cancelled since the ending was fine and it definitely hit its peak long ago, but it's like watching old friends, nice to see what they are up to.
  • beastmaster 12 May 2013 01:06:50 11,295 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fringe Season 2 - 7/10

Good stuff. Gets excellent in the last 5 episodes or so. Tempted to just go straight into series 3.

Didn't expect it to have a "Once more with feeling" type episode but it was decent enough.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• sirtacos 12 May 2013 01:37:00 7,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mad Men season 5

Character growth aplenty, unexpected events spice things up, and it's always great fun to watch the cast interact.

8/10

Edited by sirtacos at 01:38:33 12-05-2013
  • L0cky 12 May 2013 09:44:24 1,514 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Mad Men season 5

Character growth aplenty, unexpected events spice things up, and it's always great fun to watch the cast interact.

8/10
    It's not finished yet...
  • Deleted user 12 May 2013 10:47:35
    Star Trek DS9 Season 2.

Starts laying the groundwork for the rest of the show, little mentions of the dominion, and some good 3 part episodes. Some naff ones as usual, but solid stuff.

7/10
  • sirtacos 12 May 2013 11:30:06 7,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    Mad Men season 5

8/10
    It's not finished yet...
    You're thinking of season 6. Silly beans.

Edited by sirtacos at 11:33:56 12-05-2013
  • L0cky 12 May 2013 12:42:37 1,514 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    L0cky wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    Mad Men season 5

8/10
    It's not finished yet...
    You're thinking of season 6. Silly beans.
    Oh, so I am. Really doesn't feel like it's being going that long.
  • BinaryBob101 12 May 2013 13:07:36 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @beastmaster Taken a bit out of context that musical episode of Fringe must have been a bit odd. It was a part of Fox's "Musical Week", a few other shows had the same treatment.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• glaeken 13 May 2013 10:21:35 11,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dexter series 7 - 8/10 - I found this a lot more enjoyable than series 6 and am actually quite looking forward to seeing 8 just to see how they finish it. Ray Stevenson made a great villain and it was also nice to see Doakes again. I would love them to actually bring Doakes back properly though for series 8. I always thought the way they identified his body left a possible opener to bring them back. Him being bought back into the open due to the death of LaGuerta would work well. Surprise Motherfucker would have to be used of course when he first meets Dexter again.

Edited by glaeken at 10:27:30 13-05-2013
  • spindle9988 13 May 2013 10:36:56 3,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love doakes. Great character
  • TarickStonefire 13 May 2013 14:58:14 2,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Mad Men season 5

8/10
    One of those shows in which nothing ever seems to happen and yet every episode draws me entirely in.

(I do realise things happen. It just feels like things don't happen. If you know what I mean)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:59:38 13-05-2013

• TarickStonefire 13 May 2013 15:00:24 2,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Fringe Season 2 - 7/10

Good stuff. Gets excellent in the last 5 episodes or so. Tempted to just go straight into series 3.

Didn't expect it to have a "Once more with feeling" type episode but it was decent enough.
    I... have zero recollection of that episode of Fringe, and I've seen all of them. Which episode?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:00:49 13-05-2013

• beastmaster 13 May 2013 15:03:12 11,295 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Series 2. Not a musical one per-say. It's the one where he smokes some dope (Brown Betty?). He then tells a Raymond Chandler type story to the young girl about a missing heart.

Watching series 3 now. It's really good.

Edited by beastmaster at 15:03:59 13-05-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TarickStonefire 13 May 2013 15:03:25 2,979 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    Community Season 4 - 7/10

Not as funny as the previous seasons, but I still enjoyed it and the finale was good. I wouldn't be upset if it was cancelled since the ending was fine and it definitely hit its peak long ago, but it's like watching old friends, nice to see what they are up to.
    Hmmm. Community. Between that smug git playing the main guy, and that completee prick playing whatever role it is Chevy Chase plays, we found it unwatchable, failing to laugh much if at all through the first 5 episodes of the first series. We tried them both twice, about two years apart, same result.

But people go *wild* about the show... I really feel like I must be missing something!

Edited by TarickStonefire at 15:04:04 13-05-2013

• Page

of 92 First / Last