Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 49

• Page

of 89 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 1 Feb 2013 21:28:58 14,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    American Horror Story - Asylum

I enjoyed this a lot, better than the first season for me.It had a few too many story lines, but had some excellent moments.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• AcidSnake 4 Feb 2013 09:01:48 7,207 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished Deadwood and The Last Airbender yesterday...

Deadwood: 9/10 for every season...
    Great stuff and some excellent writing for/acting by Ian McShane...
    Ending left a lot to be desired but some storylines just couldn't be resolved without going against history itself...

Avatar: The Last Airbender (or Legend of Aang)
    Season 1: 8/10
    Regular cartoon stuff with some touching moments and semi-hidden morality...

Season 2: 10/10
    Top marks there, highly entertaining, some excellent new characters and way more depth to the story...

Season 3: 10/10
    Although ending rather predictably still an excellent season and enjoyable banter...

In all heartily recommended for children and adults alike I'd say, just make it past the first season and you'll be hooked...Or not, if you're without a heart...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Gunzberg 4 Feb 2013 09:25:43 1,621 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Wire Season 2 7/10

Was alright

The Wire Season 3 9/10

This was action from the get go and not a single dull scene the entire season. Took a long time to get good but now I can see what the fuss is about

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• glaeken 4 Feb 2013 09:47:31 11,080 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    American horror story asylum - 8/10 - Enjoyable over top nonsense. Aliens, demonic possession and Nazi's. Who could want for more. I think I actually enjoyed this more than the first series.
  • famous_roy 4 Feb 2013 20:55:25 4,097 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    @iHAZaCHEEZ3burger Sadly, imo, S7 is very, very poor and I really enjoyed S6.
    Dexter S6 was watchable, much better than the mess that was S5.

S7 is a pile of crap, like the were making it up each week.

Edited by famous_roy at 20:55:41 04-02-2013

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• TechnoHippy 5 Feb 2013 21:30:16 14,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lost Resort

A bit of a wasted opportunity. It's a nice idea and ok, but nothing more.

5/10

• Kostabi 5 Feb 2013 22:07:06 4,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    House of Cards - 8/10

Well worth abusing the abundant free trials Netflix are always handing out.
  • Blotto 5 Feb 2013 23:03:05 2,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    House of Cards is great, I'm loving it so far, but I thought Netflix got it because they were willing to splash a huge amount of cash on it? If that's the case, why the need for the weird PS Vita plug?

It's not a spoiler at all but the scene goes something like:

Underwood, spotting a PS Vita on the table, picks it up

Underwood: Oh a PS Vita, these are just marvelous, I often play when waiting for meetings, what games do you have?

I was half expecting him to do his look to the camera and say "Available now at your local GAME store"
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Feb 2013 23:59:02 35,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    The Wire Season 1

7/10

What is all the hype about ? Standard cop investigation of drug scene with some city hall corruption.

Hoping Season 2 is better but 3 episodes in already looking predictable
    To be honest, if you're looking for an unpredictable storyline with twists and turns, and a "clever plot", The Wire probably isn't for you. I think predictability is one of the shows strengths, though, when it shows the futility of everyone's efforts due to the circumstances, selfishness, the almost unbearable phlegm of politics, etc.

Try The Shield if you haven't, which is also fantastic, but might be more what you"re looking for in a cop show.
  • marilena 6 Feb 2013 09:09:05 8,198 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    The Wire Season 2 7/10

Was alright

The Wire Season 3 9/10

This was action from the get go and not a single dull scene the entire season. Took a long time to get good but now I can see what the fuss is about
    Well, nobody can fault you for not giving it a chance :). I think you'll like Season 4 too, it's probably the show's strongest part.

Just finished by me:
    Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy - 9/10
    Smiley's People - 9/10

They are 2 different series, but focused on the same character, a nearly retired spymaster played by Alec Guinness. It's very, very slow burning, with no big twists or action, but very involving nevertheless.
  • kalel 6 Feb 2013 09:13:04 85,999 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think everyone has very different views on which were the best Wire seasons tbh. I personally thought the first two seasons were by far the best, after which point it stops being so ulta-realistic, which was its strength for me. I particularly like the second season in fact, which many don't.

I think the only thing everyone agrees on is that the fifth is the weakest.
  • 4gate 6 Feb 2013 09:34:58 362 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Odyssey 5

One season only, then cancelled - 5 astronauts see the earth destroyed, then are transported back 5 years and have to save the world. Not great, but not that bad either, Peter Wellers space cowboy schtick gets a bit wearing, and the reporter is v dull, but I've seen a lot worse telly that did get a second season, and more.

7/10
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2013 09:44:09 66,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Kalel Agreed. I loved the 2nd season, the characters in particular.

Anyway, Friday Night Lights S5 - 6/10. Weakest of the lot imo, felt very rushed... Can only assume it got binned halfway through or something. Still, entertaining pap for late nights when feeding the baby.

Anyone got any suggestions for similar style on Netflix (that isn't Dexter, Sons, Breaking bad, Boardwalk... All of which I'm halfway through watching with the wife).

Edited by Dougs at 09:44:33 06-02-2013
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2013 09:52:03 32,748 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you tried that house of cards thing everyone is talking about?
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2013 10:00:14 66,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got a feeling she'll want to watch that too. Got The West Wing as back up but was after something less thinky for late nights, and I started Luther last night. Which is fine and I like stringer but it's typical telly, lacks budget badly.

Edit: Could always return to BSG I guess.

Edited by Dougs at 10:00:39 06-02-2013
  • Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 10:06:30 6,855 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Homeland S2

Very, very good, and had some of the best scenes and performances I saw in 2012 (I only finished the last couple of episodes today). In a year that also included Breaking Bad, that's saying a lot.

But I hope they leave Brody out of the picture for a while, because his story is getting quite ridiculous.

I don't think they will, though.
  • glaeken 6 Feb 2013 10:09:05 11,080 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Brody is going full Jack Bauer next series. The whole going dark ending reminded me that this is from the writers of 24.
  • kinky_mong 6 Feb 2013 10:47:01 9,906 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sopranos Series 3

Pine Barrens/10

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• UncleLou Moderator 6 Feb 2013 11:10:33 35,396 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I think Brody is going full Jack Bauer next series. The whole going dark ending reminded me that this is from the writers of 24.
    There's always something a tad tacky about Homeland compared to, say, HBO's best shows, but Danes and Patinkin really are spectatcularly good. The guy who plays Brody not quite so much. :)

Would give both seasons 8/10.
  • glaeken 6 Feb 2013 11:16:31 11,080 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am not sure. I enjoyed both series but I think they should have had Brody actually blow himself up at the end of series 1. It was the perfect ending but they chickened out. The development of the Brody character after that has just not seemed right. The whole is he or isnít he a terrorist dynamic is what made Brody interesting and once itís confirmed he is a terrorist then having him go back to being a goody is not very interesting. They could have still carried on a second series with Danes and Patinkin
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2013 11:51:32 66,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    There's always something a tad tacky about Homeland compared to, say, HBO's best shows, but Danes and Patinkin really are spectatcularly good. The guy who plays Brody not quite so much. :)

Rupert Friend was excellent too, but Damian Lewis gets all the plaudits. Weird.
  • TheSaint 6 Feb 2013 12:01:38 14,157 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @Kalel Agreed. I loved the 2nd season, the characters in particular.

Anyway, Friday Night Lights S5 - 6/10. Weakest of the lot imo, felt very rushed... Can only assume it got binned halfway through or something. Still, entertaining pap for late nights when feeding the baby.

Anyone got any suggestions for similar style on Netflix (that isn't Dexter, Sons, Breaking bad, Boardwalk... All of which I'm halfway through watching with the wife).
    Have you tried any of the PBS documentary series on there? Ken Burns is a bit like an American Attenborough but with more varied subject matter. He has some great series on there including WW2, Baseball, Jazz, The Civil War and my personal favourite a series on the US National Parks which has some amazing photography.
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2013 16:54:15 66,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TBH, I'm a bit meh about documentaries. Even BBC Attenborough stuff is relegated to the bottom of the queue. Given I'm existing on 4-5 hours sleep, I need (slightly well made) pap!
  • TechnoHippy 6 Feb 2013 20:24:38 14,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

If you've not seen the original Israeli series you should give it a try, much better in my opinion (although I did enjoy Homeland).

• RMXtreme 7 Feb 2013 20:54:00 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    House of Cards Season 1

The acting was mostly good, it looked great, but the characters and the plot they were driven by wasn't all that great. Will probably watch the second series when it comes out, but I can't say I'm greatly anticipating it.

6/10
  • Deleted user 7 February 2013 21:06:04
    Dougs wrote:I started Luther last night. Which is fine and I like stringer but it's typical telly, lacks budget badly.
    Persevere with Luther, Dougs. It's really great.
  • Dougs 7 Feb 2013 21:47:15 66,373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roger!
  • shooter 9 Feb 2013 00:07:49 394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Justified Season 1 - 7/10

Justified Season 2 - 7.8/10

Justified Season 3 - 9/10

Its a slow burner to get going but once it does its great stuff. Timothy Olyphant is great as the cocky US Marshall in every season but until season 3 I didnt really get a feel for any danger or an over arching story. Walter Goggins, as always, is fantasic and his portrayal of Boyd Crowder is almost as goood as his work in the Shield.

Highly recommened if only for the awesomeness that is season 3 and 2 great performances from Timothy and Walter. Bring on season 4
  • Blotto 10 Feb 2013 00:47:12 2,670 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    House of Cards Season 1 - 9/10

Usually get bored of this kind of thing but this was really excellent. Perfect cast and the budget meant that it felt like the best of both TV and film worlds.

On a slightly unrelated note, since getting faster internet and Unblock US I've gone from thinking that watching TV/Film through streaming services like this was years off to now not being able to imagine myself going back. It was as recently as a month ago that I used Lovefilm's postal service quite happily but now when I look back it seems all quaint, like writing a letter.
  • Stranded87 10 Feb 2013 10:12:58 824 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    House of Cards - 9/10

Absolutely brilliant. My only disappointment is that no-one was a match for Underwood. It would be quite interesting to watch him go up against someone just as manipulative and ruthless.

American Horror Story Season 2 - 5/10

I didn't get on with the first series at all, but I love the concept of each series being a standalone story so I gave this one a try anyway. It started off well enough but just kind of fizzled out, too many plot lines, some of which weren't really resolved (and not in an interesting ambiguous/cliff hanger sort of way, more like they forgot or didn't know where to take them). The whole thing just felt very uneven to me and given that it has the same creators and some of the same writers as Glee I think I'm coming to the conclusion that they just can't really write very well as that had some similar problems imo.
  • Page

of 89 First / Last