Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 44

• Page

of 81 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 20 Nov 2012 12:08:59 16,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    They tried the whole making sense thing for the first couple of series but decided it was optional after that.
    They have a plan...or not, I guess we'll just forget about their plan, whatever it was

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 20 Nov 2012 12:13:55 16,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh and yes, The Shield is amazing. Consistently excellent, one or two duff moments here and there but considering the seven seasons it's amazing how it kept going at such a pace and with such quality.

• reddevil93 20 Nov 2012 13:07:21 11,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it more slow paced like the Wire or constant action like SoA? Or a healthy mix of both?

• Mr_Sleep 20 Nov 2012 13:13:33 16,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Is it more slow paced like the Wire or constant action like SoA? Or a healthy mix of both?
    I still haven't watched SoA so I can't really compare it. The Shield is pretty high paced, the first series especially but it's not too fast paced and it's not quite like the wire which throws so many characters at you all at once. Saying that, as a whole the pace tends to undulate pretty nicely actually. Not too fast and not too slow. Every main character is brilliantly realised, it also has that Wire-like style of making the criminals likeable (in places).

I should point out that if you are a boxset obsessive like me then this will consume your life for quite a while. Each episode is around 45 minutes but there are seven seasons and it is such addictive viewing.

Oh and, the funny thing is that as a whole experience I would say that The Shield is better than The Wire. The first three series of The Wire are amazing and possibly the best TV show ever but the fourth and fifth ruined it a bit for me. Whereas The Shield is very consistent and doesn't limp out with a mediocre final series, the final series is a stunner. Although I will say, if you don't like Forrest Whittaker as an actor then you may struggle with one of the seasons ;-)

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:17:29 20-11-2012

• TechnoHippy 20 Nov 2012 14:00:48 14,640 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you liked Sons of Anarchy I can't see why you wouldn't like The Shield. Unless you watch SoA for the bikes :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 14:01:43 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last Resort (since it's pretty much gone!)
    Missed opportunity, too 'tv' for a serious show.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Nov 2012 14:33:44 14,640 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm working my way through at the UK pace, it's been ok so far, but not great.

• Gambit1977 20 Nov 2012 14:38:20 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Unfortunately they've announced it's finishing. Only 2 left. Sad, as it had potential, but just had too many daft elements, and that ugly lass from Dollhouse.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Nov 2012 20:19:05 14,640 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Game of Thrones - Season 1

Great fun watching through this again.

9/10

• Vortex808 21 Nov 2012 22:08:11 6,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Game of Thrones - Season 1

Great fun watching through this again.

9/10
    This. I only got on board during season 2. I liked this season more and hope they run season 2 after it now, so I can better appreciate it with new insight!
  • Tonka 22 Nov 2012 07:06:17 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Community S01
    Like "Malcolm in the middle" it does the old "like Simpsons but REAL" trick where live actors are given the freedom that is usually reserved for Sponge Bob or Zoidberg. Add to that a near fatal dose of postmodern fourth wall breakage and pop cultural references on par with SPACED and you're on to a winner.

But ... yes she's fit but boy she knows it.

It's like watching some overachieving kid begging for recognition at times. What it has in "smarts" it somewhat lacks in heart. And when nothing is off the table I sometimes find it hard to care. They could start sprouting wings and take of to the skies in one episode without out breaking the non existant rules.

I feel as if I'm too old for this shit. As if the target audience are the ones that show up in one memorable ep and go "Well look at me... DUUUUHHH" and I'm Cevy Chase.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Blakester 22 Nov 2012 13:17:05 3,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Community S01
    Like "Malcolm in the middle" it does the old "like Simpsons but REAL" trick where live actors are given the freedom that is usually reserved for Sponge Bob or Zoidberg. Add to that a near fatal dose of postmodern fourth wall breakage and pop cultural references on par with SPACED and you're on to a winner.

But ... yes she's fit but boy she knows it.

It's like watching some overachieving kid begging for recognition at times. What it has in "smarts" it somewhat lacks in heart. And when nothing is off the table I sometimes find it hard to care. They could start sprouting wings and take of to the skies in one episode without out breaking the non existant rules.

I feel as if I'm too old for this shit. As if the target audience are the ones that show up in one memorable ep and go "Well look at me... DUUUUHHH" and I'm Cevy Chase.
    I'm reaching the end of season 2 and it's very much hit and miss for me.

There are probably 5 or 6 classic episodes across both seasons, but the rest feel like filler or are just mildly entertaining. I think it's at its absolute best when it ramps up the fantasy elements or has a strong focus on a particular theme. The Call of Duty and Star Trek homages and the Halloween special being good examples.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 22 Nov 2012 13:20:38 83,875 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also the role playing one is awesome.

I think the first two seasons are pretty good though, the standard stays high. It's all a bit knowing and up itself, but it's kind of the point as well.
  • Gambit1977 22 Nov 2012 13:22:10 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The 3rd series of Community is car crash. They decided to almost solely focus on the Dean, and it was worse for it.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2012 13:23:48
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    I still haven't watched SoA so I can't really compare it. The Shield is pretty high paced, the first series especially but it's not too fast paced and it's not quite like the wire which throws so many characters at you all at once. Saying that, as a whole the pace tends to undulate pretty nicely actually. Not too fast and not too slow. Every main character is brilliantly realised, it also has that Wire-like style of making the criminals likeable (in places).

I should point out that if you are a boxset obsessive like me then this will consume your life for quite a while. Each episode is around 45 minutes but there are seven seasons and it is such addictive viewing.

Oh and, the funny thing is that as a whole experience I would say that The Shield is better than The Wire. The first three series of The Wire are amazing and possibly the best TV show ever but the fourth and fifth ruined it a bit for me. Whereas The Shield is very consistent and doesn't limp out with a mediocre final series, the final series is a stunner. Although I will say, if you don't like Forrest Whittaker as an actor then you may struggle with one of the seasons ;-)
    What ever the fuck Whittaker was doing, it certainly was not acting. The Shield is awesome though.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2012 13:27:51 6,244 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think it mostly comes down to whether you like Abed or not. He pretty much defines the show for me. Which is not to say that the other characters don't add anything - my favorite episode is the trampoline one, and that barely has any Abed - but it's his meta-movie-referential thing that's a large part of what makes Community the sort of show it is.

Also, Chevy Chase has finally left. Or got fired or whatever.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:37:58 22-11-2012
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2012 13:44:07 6,244 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, I just watched season 3 of Fringe. It was lots of fun. Hope season 4 can keep it up.
  • Tonka 22 Nov 2012 13:56:22 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'm not even embarrassed to say that I never laughed harder than during his slapsticks.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Blakester 22 Nov 2012 14:11:12 3,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'm not even embarrassed to say that I never laughed harder than during his slapsticks.
    Senor Chang's performance as 'drugs' was brilliant too.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Trane 22 Nov 2012 14:18:27 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    The 3rd series of Community is car crash. They decided to almost solely focus on the Dean, and it was worse for it.
    The 8 bit episode (possibly my fave ever, it even had Gus from Breaking Bad FFS!) and some of the Air Con/Troy stuff was fantastic. All the seasons for me have been a little hit and miss, although the ratio has skewed negatively as the seasons went on. There is still gold throughout, though.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2012 23:45:01 6,244 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Senor Chang's performance as 'drugs' was brilliant too.
    Chang is veeery hit-and-miss for me. There have been some stand-out episodes, but in the second season he's just manic and crazy and not particularly funny.

I like Pierce, even though he turns into a complete dick in season 2 for no discernable reason.

Anyway, Chase didn't leave/get fired because of anything in the actual show. There's been a lot of tension between him and the show creator for some time now.
  • DFawkes 25 Nov 2012 01:42:38 22,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (I advise sirtacos not to read this, obviously)

I really should've watched this all sooner, it's still really fantastic. I think in general I definitely enjoyed it more than the first season, partially because it's longer so there was more time to give plot threads the attention they deserved, but mostly for stand out episodes like Pegasus the the 2 parter after it. That just had it all - space pew pew, brilliant performances and some real surprises.

I also really enjoyed Downloaded and seeing things from the other side. It's easy to forget there are still all those Cylons on Caprica. I especially loved that Caprica Six has her own personal demon of sorts ;)

All the arcs feel pretty well thought out so far. I've read of concerns that this changes later on, and I have a feeling I can see a path it might take. What with the true nature of Baltar's Brain Six being unclear, Roslin's visions, and just a general focus on faith, I can see the seasons to come going a bit Lost and doing stuff that makes little logical sense except "Yep, it really was the Gods! Or God". Not everything, just as an explanation for certain things. I won't mind that if it turns out being the case though :)

As for this seasons round of Guess the Cylon, I think I'll stick with Ellen Tigh as a definite - she seemed rather carefree when she was taken hostage, almost as if she didn't fear death as she'd pop into a new body (though with the Res ship down this logic isn't sound, but screw it). That, plus there's still her bizarrely appearing in the Fleet and her constant manipulations of people.

I think I'll have to also raise Gaeta to near definite too, about 90%. He already seemed a bit too smart, but that business with the virus that infected Galactica just rearing it's head again after a while doesn't feel right. That, plus his role at the end of the season would be the ideal position for him if he were.

No-one else sticks out - the only one I did consider was Xena when she popped up, but the end of that very episode didn't leave much room open to interpretation! So we've got 7 100% definites we've been shown, and that card Adama got all the way back in the mini-series said there were 12 models in total. Still not sure where that came from, hope it's not something that's left open. With my 2 guesses, there should still be 3.

As a parting note, in a way I'm really glad I'm watching it now with all the seasons available, because if I were watching on TV this seasons ending could go fuck itself :p

Think it has to be 10/10 from me, can't think of any serious faults in the season.

Edited by DFawkes at 01:43:46 25-11-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Gambit1977 25 Nov 2012 22:15:03 9,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hunted

Seriously, WTF??? I learned nothing about the delectable miss hunger (apart from that Melissa George looks hot in a beanie)...

Having been thoroughly confused by the finale, I visited the link below, which explains it all in a much funnier way than I could!

http://m.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/nov/22/hunted-season-one-episode-eight?cat=tv-and-radio&type=article
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Nov 2012 08:38:10 13,814 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reserve place for Peep Show 8
    10/10 it was aces ;)

...bring on series 9

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• sirtacos 26 Nov 2012 10:49:33 7,205 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (I advise sirtacos not to read this, obviously)

Think it has to be 10/10 from me, can't think of any serious faults in the season.
    Just finished it last night.
    I give the season a rather harsh 7.5, because some episodes were a pile of utter wank (e.g. the one dedicated to Apollo fighting crime, or the one with the widow's hostage situation). Also, some characters have become outright dull, e.g. Apollo and Starbuck. On the other hand other characters have taken up the slack, like that sleepwalking chubby engineering guy.
    Baltar and Six are great as always.
    There are definite moments of brilliance, but I feel a bit let down by weak writing and occasionally bland performances.
  • DFawkes 26 Nov 2012 11:19:55 22,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite enjoyed Black Market, the only one I'd pick out as one I enjoyed slightly less was Scar, which felt like an epic build up to nothing. Plus I'm not a Kat fan :p I still liked it though, it still had the same great writing as ever.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:44:08 26-11-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• sirtacos 27 Nov 2012 02:28:39 7,205 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Roll on season 3!

One of my main gripes with season 2 is that some shit just doesn't make sense and some characters make crazy decisions for apparently no reason.

Edited by sirtacos at 11:49:19 30-11-2012
  • sirtacos 27 Nov 2012 10:36:24 7,205 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watching season 3 opener now. Seems suitably epic. I like Starbuck again. Good show.

But all the robots have gone insane? Wtf

Edited by sirtacos at 10:41:55 27-11-2012
  • TechnoHippy 29 Nov 2012 16:26:04 14,640 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Harsh Realm

Not one of Chris Carter's best, but still fairly entertaining. I like the idea of it and it started well with the Apocalypse Now scene. Unfortunately it's not quite realised and doesn't have an ending.

6/10

• Page

of 81 First / Last