Dragon's Dogma Page 129

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 17 Oct 2013 20:40:11 16,838 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Something I wondered, how does one get the secret augments? Never did figure that one out.

I'm playing as a Strider at the moment too and it's good fun. Although I have just switched to mystic archer which looks like a fun class.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Kittt_Walker 17 Oct 2013 21:08:15 287 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep
    You get them from BBI drops and you can swap them in for one of your other augments but tbh from what I remember they pretty poop and the augments that you can mix and match from the other classes(vocations ) much better 😋.ps. Look out for the ranger class it a nice combination of strider and archer .

The Ghost Who Walks

• Mr_Sleep 17 Oct 2013 21:41:46 16,838 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks, I have not really played BBI yet so that makes sense.

• Kittt_Walker 17 Oct 2013 21:58:10 287 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Goodfella
    Yep I think so that is what they are called(long time since I played hehhehe sorry). Your augements are like booster abilities that you can mix and match with other classes(vocations) to reflect your play style or even tactics for example there is an augement that greatly boosts your attack power at night. Each vocation has a set of core skills that can't be mixed and matched and they are base skills designed to utilise the weapons and associated play styles of that class.

The main game is fun and has some great touches but also some padding that's why I dipped in and out of BBI ,it really is night and day contrast.I had some friends high level pawns (90 and 120) and I started out there level 20 and even though I didn't get very far often, it's fun to explore and race back with your loot so you can use in the main game.

I would really do some reading around dd da , not massive depth or the the story but augments, skills , pawns etc because there are some really funny and unique touches that a lot of people miss and find at the end of the game but by then it's too late as the vanilla game doesn't really compel you to replay. For example there's a black marketer that you can use to get around a certain quest and keep a certain something for yourself whilst handing in a fake and claiming the quest reward still. There's another incident where if you have found an item if I remember and give it to a certain someone he might return in a certain battle and help you with some magic qualities; however if your paths don't cross before , he will still show up in a battle with gusto but proceed to fire the equalvalent of magical blanks which is quite funny,

Ps.ooh think about the style and build of your main pawn as well because people as well as your friends can summon them into there world and any RC(rift crystals ) that are earned there will be paid to you next time you log into the Rift to summon a pawn. A popular pawn choice for summoning is healers because they don't generally die as quick and they keep the party alive.
    Dang that's another thing that leads me too lol you can tell them how you want them to act in a battle but I think I'll be quiet as it's a lot to get going already; but quickly I make sure my healer pawns inclination is to protect the summer that way my pawn lasts longer in battles (so more RC) and the summoner is more likely to keep summoning me throughout their game.

A useful link giving a table of the augments you can mix and match

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Augments

Have fun😛

Edited by Kittt_Walker at 22:17:31 17-10-2013

Edited by Kittt_Walker at 22:20:40 17-10-2013

The Ghost Who Walks

• Tuffty 18 Oct 2013 12:39:46 1,497 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Playing it at the minute as a Strider class. The games not bad, it's a huge world absolutely daunting, especially when I've reached the main city at this point and am swamped down by dozens of quests. Have to really decide which quests to focus on now I guess. Though I can see now it's a massive world but also maybe a bit lifeless and kind of generic high fantasy. Looks good though.

Also wondering, is there ever a dodge ability you learn? Would like to be able to sidestep or roll out of enemy attacks, because I'm more in favor of going in slashing fools with my daggers but really eat it against some of the bigger enemies. Only way I can see is just jumping away...but it looks silly lol
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Oct 2013 12:45:26 16,838 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In the strider class you can hold down the left bumper (I think) and press x and you do a roll.

• Tuffty 18 Oct 2013 13:01:54 1,497 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    yeah I keep feeling like I need to roll around as a Strider, Dark Souls dex build style. :)

I;m a bit puzzled by my damage though. It's pretty much non existant, unless I get this fiery buff that randomly appears. Is one of my pawns doing it?

If so I could do with it permanently as said, I do virtually no damage without it. Enemies are insanely tough even on easy mode.
    I keep thinking that too, considering that's how I played Dark Souls!

Playing on normal and yes it just seems like enemies are pretty tough. Can't really tell if that's my fault for stumbling into areas I'm not ready for yet (although I'm not that far from the city or starting village) or whether that's just the game design. Your mage is granting you that fire buff. I found a set of daggers early on that's not so high damaging but can inflict oil on your enemies, which then in turn makes them more susceptible to fire, so I've stuck with that.
  • quadfather 18 Oct 2013 13:03:40 11,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    yeah I keep feeling like I need to roll around as a Strider, Dark Souls dex build style. :)

I;m a bit puzzled by my damage though. It's pretty much non existant, unless I get this fiery buff that randomly appears. Is one of my pawns doing it?

If so I could do with it permanently as said, I do virtually no damage without it. Enemies are insanely tough even on easy mode.
    There's a weird bit of difficulty at the start. Initially, you are pants, especially when fighting bandits.

Just take your time and start to look at non-passive skills you can upgrade. You'll want a couple for your bow, and one for your daggers. Toss and Trigger is excellent for melee. Go for three-fold arrow as your main bow (get it by default I think) and then whatever you fancy for the other skill(s).

Pick on some weaker mobs to start with to get the hang of things and don't be afraid to wander off the main roads (unless it's night time) and you'll soon start to get into it.

If you've seriously hired Uncle Vyrt, he'll just piss on anything at your level, so I wouldn't recommend him just yet

You'll get the 'click' soon and you'll start to get more familiar with the skills

one good thing is that the game won't penalise you for pissing about with skills and vocations. If you like strider, I'd highly recommend going Ranger as your next vocation - it really kicks arse. And there's loads more branching out character/vocations options after that too.

the fiery buff that happens is your mage or sorceror casting their 'boon' spell. They'll either cast it when first initiating combat, and/or whether you select the 'help' option on the d-pad, which makes them recast it again if it's worn off. Keep this up all the time to boost attacks. Just tap left or right on the d-pad regularly, or when you notice it wears off.

After a while, you won't give a toss about this, as you'll have a massive bow and some shiny daggers, and you'll be double jumping all over the shop ala ghouls and ghosts slicing people apart, whilst pulling off deadly headshots with your bow in no time :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 26 Oct 2013 14:39:21 11,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Erm, right, so this Dark Arisen DLC then...

So I'm poncing around in Gransys, and get the message to get to BBI. So I think I'll give it a go.

Seems fairly straightforward - few hobgolins knocking about

OH HANG ON A MINUTE...WTF IS THAT MASSIVE REAPER DOING SENDING MY ENTIRE PARTY TO SLEEP AND THEN 1 SHOTTING ME??!! HOW MUCH FUCKING HEALTH?????!!!!

• Gunzberg 26 Oct 2013 15:52:17 1,730 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At a certain point in BBI I gave up (undead bishop and dragon). As a sorceror specced a certain way + some high lvl pwns, the fight was totally impossible. Tried it a million times speccing this way and that way and then looked at youtube videos of the rest of BBI and realised it only got worse from there.

Capcom know how to fuck up difficulty for sure.

Up until that point it's a great game with a ludicrous story and I am looking forward to the sequel

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• quadfather 26 Oct 2013 15:54:20 11,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There seems to be something missing, or maybe I've just been away from it for too long. Can't seem to click with it at the moment

• Rajin 26 Oct 2013 16:19:15 614 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its not that hard as long as you keep a balanced company with a strong sorcerer and a tank. Aquiring good tanks through the pawn system can be real pain though since their AI is based on how they behaved during their time as companion(could lead to meaningless deaths, tanks not tanking etc)

I played the original and that one was more difficult because of your long journeys back through the dark, which were fun during the initial 10-15 hours but a real pain afterwards. Some quests are also to difficult compared to others during the same time limit.

Edited by Rajin at 16:20:53 26-10-2013
  • quadfather 26 Oct 2013 16:40:57 11,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't have any problems with the main game once I'd got used to it but bbi and that specific monster I mentioned was completely over the top. Christ, dark souls isn't this punishing. Not sure what to really. I'm only level 44 so maybe I should carry on with gransys for a while

Party is good though. I'm a ranger, main pawn (uncle vyrt) is a kick ass sorcerer. But rajin you're right - the hired mage is OK but my hired warrior generally wanders around not doing much

Might have to swap him out I think

• Rajin 26 Oct 2013 17:23:13 614 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather

Yes i tinkered away for a long time to create the perfect tank, did not work out because i loved him to much as a sorcerer. You want him to be durable but also able to aggro, a difficult balance.
  • quadfather 26 Oct 2013 17:25:34 11,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It seems that the ai for sorcerer I'd really good. Not sure whether thats main pawn vs hired pawn ai or whether the sorceror ai is simply better

• lordofthedunce 26 Oct 2013 18:28:41 375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather
    I think it was only lv45-50 when bbi started to get easier for me.
    There are definitely some tough bosses. I didn't even bother fighting one or two, just ran past!

Edited by lordofthedunce at 18:29:28 26-10-2013
  • Rajin 27 Oct 2013 09:10:34 614 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One thing i really find annoying are the stats for magic defense and attack, some weapons damage is reliant on those stats that for most part can only be increased by playing a sorcerer.
  • quadfather 27 Oct 2013 10:28:48 11,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @lordofthedunce - Agreed. I ran past that scary ass reaper in the end by doubling back on myself and dropping down. Good looking monster, but jesus h christ, how much health?

• ZuluHero 27 Oct 2013 14:14:17 4,008 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there anyway to fix the sky post game? I miss the lovely blue skies and sunsets from the game :(

Still haven't finished the everfall section, or whatever it's called...and I'm still too low level for BBI.

Edited by ZuluHero at 14:14:50 27-10-2013
  • RedSparrows 1 Dec 2013 16:07:31 21,958 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I got DA cheapy on the 360, thanks to a sale. Good to be back: with the promise of new content I blasted through my original save to actually finish the story, and in doing so I realised far more about this game than I had done before: it's not a typical open-worlder (well, obv), it's very much in the vein of a Resi or similar, where new plays are encouraged, you're not supposed to complete every quest and then retire in the sunset etc - the story (nonsense, but still, has a certain demented grandeur to it), pawns etc, all are geared to this.

Which means I am quite enthusiastic about it again. It's been good to play. The Everfall is a bit peculiar, structurally, but the fights can be great fun. Have started new game+, will play through the main quest pronto, and then go to BBI.

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:09:43 01-12-2013
  • Deckard1 2 Jan 2014 19:50:40 27,027 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm just starting this now, and despite it being a bit shit I'm enjoying it. I've just done the tutorial thing were you get to make your pawn but now the only mission it seems to be giving me is the black isle thing, which I take it I don't want to do. How do I carry on with the main quest? Do I just need to start wandering about the open world?

Edited by Deckard1 at 20:05:58 02-01-2014
  • onestepfromlost 2 Jan 2014 19:58:47 2,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Em I think go to the inn and take the quests on the board. Been a while
  • EMarkM 2 Jan 2014 20:35:47 3,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Deckard1 Head for the wooden fort, just outside the village.

If you're attacked by goblins from the roadside, you're going the right way.

Ages since I played: hope that's correct.

Edit: actually, if you've made your pawn, you've probably already done that. Have you fought a many-headed monster yet?

Edited by EMarkM at 20:37:21 02-01-2014
  • convercide 2 Jan 2014 20:41:25 5,903 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anyone needs a strong fighter pawn to help them on 360, add me. Gamertag is Convercide. Think she is about lvl 120 or something.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Deckard1 2 Jan 2014 21:01:50 27,027 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    @Deckard1 Head for the wooden fort, just outside the village.

If you're attacked by goblins from the roadside, you're going the right way.

Ages since I played: hope that's correct.

Edit: actually, if you've made your pawn, you've probably already done that. Have you fought a many-headed monster yet?
    Yeah I did the fort bit. No multi headed monster though
  • EMarkM 2 Jan 2014 21:05:08 3,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Deckard1 There should be soon. Talk to everyone in the fort?
  • Kanjin 2 Jan 2014 23:36:25 1,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Talk to the lady - Mercedes - to rest and you get a nice surprise waking up.
  • Page

of 132 First / Last