Dragon's Dogma Page 127

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• RelaxedMikki 3 Sep 2013 10:19:56 927 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had a couple of hours on Dark Arisen last night. It's really good - some tasty battles already, and the dark, dinghy locations look great (though the amount of gore left lying around the place is comically overdone at points... you'd think of after milennia in captivity one of the undead would have taken the time to have a bit of a tidy up...)

It's not that hard though. I hired a level 50 Pawn to help out the level 35 group I had been playing through the main game with and we are not finding anything too difficult... the way the game is set up (with being able to pause and use healing herbs at anytime) there is really not much excuse for dying!
  • jabberwoky 4 Sep 2013 16:39:24 465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stumbled into a very long tunnel complex last night. I was way underleveled and spent an hour chasing and being chased by those massive hairy behemoth things, round and round.... they went beserk because their health went below 50%. An hour.

Then one of my pawns said "I don't think I can take this much more." So we left.
  • quadfather 5 Sep 2013 09:15:05 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jabberwoky - I think I know where you mean.

Did it have a sort of 'mine' type theme? :p

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• RelaxedMikki 5 Sep 2013 18:47:16 927 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know when I said Dark Arisen is not that hard?

I might have been wrong.
  • Rodriguez 5 Sep 2013 20:41:52 1,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    You know when I said Dark Arisen is not that hard?

I might have been wrong.
    Most definitely :lol:
  • jabberwoky 5 Sep 2013 21:20:53 465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather

Now you come to mention it, yes it did. Me and my pawn are going back there one day with the express intention of kicking its hairy butt down every passage way I can find.
  • quadfather 6 Sep 2013 08:56:11 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jabberwoky - gotcha - I know where you are now. That's quite a useful area. Once cleared that is

• Julpero 10 Sep 2013 18:06:21 38 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got my Hunter's Bow dragonforged yesterday! I went back to Devilfire Grove to try if I might be able to kill the Drake.

It took a whole in-game day and a few minutes of nighttime, plus at least 20 Potent Greenwarish and 20 Large Mushrooms, but I managed to kill him.

I had to kill my own pawn a couple of times as well since the Drake possessed them and then I just revived them.

Great fight all in all. I'm just disappointed in the dragonforging and how little it changed. Actually I feel like that most of the time when I get a new weapon or when I upgrade a weapon.

The only thing that changes between weapons is damage which is after playing Dark Souls a bit disappointing.
  • Gunzberg 10 Sep 2013 18:07:48 1,730 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Feel free to add me for DD:DA on Xbox 360 as Gunzberg

Am currently venturing a little deeper into BBI after killing the Cyclops in a terribly long fight...

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• coomber 10 Sep 2013 19:36:22 323 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloody cockatrice. What a bugger. Still, each time I die I get to hear my female pawn say "it has the head of a cock!"

Brilliant. Like being in a fantasy-setting 'Allo 'Allo.

Edited by coomber at 19:37:46 10-09-2013

Edited by coomber at 19:39:03 10-09-2013
  • Gunzberg 11 Sep 2013 15:27:08 1,730 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I give up. I bloody give up. I think I am just going to wrap up the last 2 main game quests and call it a day. BBI demonstrates that idiotic Capcom still have no clue about how to set difficulty.

Think I have tried the Dragon and Bishop fight now over 10 times with different combinations including high level pawns from you all. Just frigging impossible. Yes I know he is vulnerable to Dark Magic but the bloody pawns don't even fire on him half the time or the dragon just stand there turn into stone and take up all my potions.**** **** **** Bloody stupid pawn intelligence.

Unless someone has some nice lvl 200 archer pawns I give up on BBI - shame I loved the atmosphere but trust Capcom to fuck it up as usual

• Rodriguez 12 Sep 2013 13:12:30 1,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gunzberg

Hey Gunz, the best way I found to do that fight is ignore Bishop and concentrating all your attacks on the Dragon first, then when its health is depleted and it 'collapses' the Bishop is completely vulnerable. If you're quick enough and ferocious enough, you might kill the Bishop before he ever recovers and revives the dragon.

I didn't bother with Dark magick or anything like that, I just smashed the shit out of those two with some heavy melee from my Mystic Knight; target the heart of the dragon for extra damage to get him down quickly, then when the Bishop collapses go apeshit on his crumpled form and don't stop attacking, use your best damage dealing attacks and use stamina replenishing items if necessary to keep up the intensity!! If you're still struggling then perhaps you need to level-up a bit more, I was probably over lvl.120 at the time!

Also, trust me when I say there's far harder fights awaiting you further down in the dungeon than those two, gulp!
  • quadfather 12 Sep 2013 13:30:35 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still haven't finished this. And I've bought DA too. No excuse really

• Gunzberg 12 Sep 2013 13:56:21 1,730 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rodriguez wrote:
    @Gunzberg

Hey Gunz, the best way I found to do that fight is ignore Bishop and concentrating all your attacks on the Dragon first, then when its health is depleted and it 'collapses' the Bishop is completely vulnerable. If you're quick enough and ferocious enough, you might kill the Bishop before he ever recovers and revives the dragon.

I didn't bother with Dark magick or anything like that, I just smashed the shit out of those two with some heavy melee from my Mystic Knight; target the heart of the dragon for extra damage to get him down quickly, then when the Bishop collapses go apeshit on his crumpled form and don't stop attacking, use your best damage dealing attacks and use stamina replenishing items if necessary to keep up the intensity!! If you're still struggling then perhaps you need to level-up a bit more, I was probably over lvl.120 at the time!

Also, trust me when I say there's far harder fights awaiting you further down in the dungeon than those two, gulp!
    Thanks Rodriguez but I have now shelved BBI. I wrapped up vanilla DD totday and I do not feel like grinding my lvl 53 sorceror to a level where he can take all of BBI. That is not my idea of fun or a way to spend my gaming time efficiently.

I watched the fight on youtube and as a ranged archer character the fight is so much easier than my pure sorceror build. Judging by the final boss of BBI, I would have to grind at least another 50-80 levels to be in with a decent chance. No thanks.

Oh well, I can't complain about the game as a whole. Good value with the expansion and I loved the atmopshere and combat. Hope they improve on story, difficulty curve and pawn intelligence in any sequel.

• jabberwoky 12 Sep 2013 18:11:33 465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I took those hairy ogre things out eventually in the mine, although I must admit I tended to cheer my pawns on from the back towards the end.

The game definitely has something, its quickly becoming one of the best games of the 360 generation for me.
  • quadfather 12 Sep 2013 19:24:19 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jabberwoky - nice one. Have you cleared it now? Reason I ask is because I'm sure there's a merchant in there once its calmed down and cleared

• Rodriguez 12 Sep 2013 21:51:38 1,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @jabberwoky - nice one. Have you cleared it now? Reason I ask is because I'm sure there's a merchant in there once its calmed down and cleared
    Yeah quad is right, if you're talking about the Ancient Quarry then it's a great little short-cut between central and southern Gransys once cleared, plus that merchant with unique items sets up shop in there too.

Just be wary that certain things can... repopulate some of the more remote parts of the quarry later on (not affecting the merchant though) :D
  • Rodriguez 12 Sep 2013 22:23:28 1,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gunzberg

Gunzberg wrote:
    Thanks Rodriguez but I have now shelved BBI. I wrapped up vanilla DD totday and I do not feel like grinding my lvl 53 sorceror to a level where he can take all of BBI. That is not my idea of fun or a way to spend my gaming time efficiently.

I watched the fight on youtube and as a ranged archer character the fight is so much easier than my pure sorceror build. Judging by the final boss of BBI, I would have to grind at least another 50-80 levels to be in with a decent chance. No thanks.

Oh well, I can't complain about the game as a whole. Good value with the expansion and I loved the atmopshere and combat. Hope they improve on story, difficulty curve and pawn intelligence in any sequel.
    No problem Gunzberg, I'm sorry to hear it got a bit too much for you to want to carry on in the end, but I can totally understand how you could feel like that when attempting the expansion, especially at level.53! BBI is exceptionally difficult in some areas if you're not a high enough level, I think for Capcom to have suggested lvl.45 was a reasonable level to go there was a bit of a joke. I struggled with some fights even when over lvl.140!

Also, the last boss of BBI was an absolutely hard as nails bastard for my melee based character (especially the second time you go through the dungeon!!) My Mystic Knight magick didn't do much damage to him, so I'd pretty much knackered my thumb by the end of that fight as I was having to use the attack button so much to hammer that git with my mace! Some people with ranged characters [I'm looking at you, yes, YOU Mr.Shikasama ;)] were able to farm the shit out of him though, so it was obviously quite badly unbalanced in favour of ranged builds. Mystic knight was, however, a total boss against the UR-Dragon!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you at least enjoyed the majority of the main DD game which is certainly excellent! I can't wait to see how Capcom build and improve upon the first game for a next-gen iteration in the series!
  • Gunzberg 12 Sep 2013 23:49:33 1,730 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah Rodriguez, the guy I watched on youtube was lvl 120 and still died a lot during the last parts of BBI even though he had a great party. I figured after watching that I would have to farm and grind for a very long time and I pass on that.

Things I would love to see improved in a sequel include:

- Being able to have more than just 6 main skills available at one time. I would like all skills I bought to be available to me (e.g. so I can carry both holy and dark affinities, advanced ice spells and necromancy etc etc)
    - Pawn intelligence (attack you fools!)
    - Still too much travelling around
    - Story and lore needs a buff
    - More inventory capacity and less fancy chests with rubbish items in them
    - Though the lighting was nice, most textures could do with a serious upgrade
    - Let me know that if I complete a quest I can't do another (e.g. I lost the entire Witchwood storyline this way)
    - Playtest the difficulty with real life normal people and make sure the game contains no grind whatsoever

I'd kickstarter that :)

• jabberwoky 13 Sep 2013 10:41:13 465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather Yes, I met him, there are guards around now and its a great shortcut.

There is a dragon thing cramping my style a bit on the other side but I'll get round to him in time. Great game.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2013 10:51:56 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cool. Pretty sure that merchant has some funky stuff

Christ, I *really* must load this up again instead of rolling countless demon's and dark souls characters

This weekend. Definitely. As long as I don't accidentally fire up Amnesia. Or get drunk and watch football by mistake

• Charlie_Miso 25 Sep 2013 06:42:02 1,191 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been wondering around BBI a fair bit and seemed to have gotten to the end. Come through a deserted city to some half dragon dude who I assume is Dark Arisen.

Question I have is; was I not in a room a lot earlier, where I first met 'no dying now' dude, where there were a lot of other locked doors?

Do they go nowhere?
  • Mr-Brett 28 Sep 2013 18:03:52 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've started playing this on PSN and I like bits of it but I'm struggling. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong so thought I'd ask here.
    1. Is there a way to know how tough an enemy will be before it beats the shit out of you?
    2. Is there a map? maybe I'm wondering off in the wrong direction.
    3. I chose the bow and dagger class, which doesn't seem to be able to block, I googled dodge which seems to be a skill you get later... so I can't avoid attacks?

Portable view - Never forget.

• oldschoolsoviet 28 Sep 2013 19:19:46 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1. No. Human enemies are deceptively tough, until you realise you need to block/counter them. Ogres are weak against fire. Chimeras killed in a certain order are easier to deal with. Learning how to fight things/weaknesses is a large part of it, because it isn't a slash-fest early on. Everything will hurt until the Lv30s. After that you'll manage before feeling like a god against anything bar big 'uns past Lv60.

2. The map on the menu ? (SELECT for quick map ?) It's there, but it's not exceptionally detailed. Exploration is part of the fun, even if you struggle. Remember, night time is far more dangerous than day.....

3. Ranger. The clue's in the title. ;) You'll need to keep your distance, but there's nowt stopping you swapping roles and new movesets.....later. I'm guessing it's early days and you haven't unlocked that yet. Until you get the merged roles (Assassin, Mystic Knight, Magic Archer) you'll need to play to class strengths.

Starting out is tough, but gradually eases as you progress. If you're a Ranger, have two melee pawns to tank and a wizard with healing. Have a pile of healing items spread throughout all inventories, as the pawns will use them automatically or offer them to you if needed. A lantern and oil for every character is also rather handy if you get caught out at night......
  • Mr-Brett 29 Sep 2013 21:15:31 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure how I missed the map and it seems that I ran off into the wild without getting the pawn and fighting the hydra...

It's been a while since I've played a game this erm... how do you put it, old school, probably when such things were considered new or current school ;)

Portable view - Never forget.

• oldschoolsoviet 29 Sep 2013 21:44:31 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the plot will steer you towards things but doesn't punish you for going about it differently. I'd stick to following it until you've hit the main city.

As for the story, it's very hidden ala Dark Souls, but the hints and reveals make it worthwhile chatting and figuring stuff out. As you said, it's rather old fashioned in it's approach, but it really works well.
  • onestepfromlost 29 Sep 2013 22:11:26 2,039 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hmm I take it if I go buy dark arisen my normal DD saves would work ok? thinking of trading in my original copy of DD and getting dark arisen.
  • Rodriguez 29 Sep 2013 23:16:25 1,083 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @onestepfromlost

You'll be pleased to know it'll work fine! In fact you should get some extra goodies (like the Eternal ferrystone) for having had the original game once it notices your previous saves!
  • quadfather 30 Sep 2013 08:44:25 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still haven't fired it up! I'm blaming From Software

• onestepfromlost 6 Oct 2013 23:01:38 2,039 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    you are an addict quaddy, and sorry still not been to my mums at all. should be there over the October week though so ill check the amiga status
  • Page

of 132 First / Last