Dragon's Dogma Page 126

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• the_dudefather 23 Jul 2013 10:47:01 9,288 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Might have to start the Bitterblack Isle part of this soon, finished the main game a few weeks back

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• ardamillo 26 Jul 2013 14:36:34 523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just noticed Dark Arisen is out on Games on Demand now, if anyone cares. Still full price though.
  • PenguinJim 27 Jul 2013 04:38:39 5,865 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just came to post about that! 20 isn't bad when compared to US$40 in the States, though. ;) But yes, I was hoping it would be 10-12 to make up for being so late. Fingers crossed for a fast sale, as it would be nice to load it up whenever without having to fumble around for a disc like a fat-handed twat.

(I only have DD on disc, not DD : DA, in case anyone thought I was interested in spending 10 just because of discal concerns!)

Edit: the prices seem to be all over the place for this one! Over 35 in Mexico, AU$50 in Oz, about 16 in Hong Kong (they take Paypal, if anyone wants to save a couple of ) and Taiwan (only 2000 Asia points)... Capcom really should invest in some currency conversion DLC for their accounting program.

Edited by PenguinJim at 04:48:18 27-07-2013
  • quadfather 28 Aug 2013 08:51:13 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just got back into this. Specced back to ranger as was getting bored with mage.

Anyway, am at the bit where the cultists take over the greatwall and you have to go and help.

How far through in the fame am I? Am level 45.

I'm thinking of getting the dlc, so is it best to carry on and then do the dlc or just get that version now?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dombat 28 Aug 2013 09:02:27 264 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I found it was useful to start playing Dark Arisen before I finished the main game as the eternal ferrystone you get given really comes in handy for all the backtracking you have to do.

I'm currently level 62 (in the post-game) and thinking of jumping into Bitterblack Isle now.
  • quadfather 28 Aug 2013 09:16:27 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Righto. Just read the review and the eternal ferrystone sounds useful. I'll grab a copy then, cheers

• Vortex808 28 Aug 2013 09:34:13 7,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The eternal ferrystone would be great, sadly I only have DA with no DD save, so no eternal ferrystone for me. It'd save a lot of time, but I would do less exploring. Mind you, I don't mind paying a few k to buy one, since it means less schlepping over the same routes.

I must get back to this soon actually, I have been neglecting it since I can't really be arsed playing games much during summer.

Finishing the campaign for skyrim might be an idea at some point too...
  • quadfather 28 Aug 2013 09:35:28 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm assuming you can carry over your DD save to be used in DA?

• Folant 28 Aug 2013 09:38:58 1,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah. It's essentially the same game. Can just import your save and be just as you were in vanilla.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• quadfather 28 Aug 2013 09:54:44 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Super duper, thanks

Took all of 1 battle to get back into it again. Top stuff.

Although that was after I had to spend about half an hour respeccing, redoing the skills and augs, and sorting out the entire inventory. You know how long that takes

• Vortex808 28 Aug 2013 10:00:16 7,153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D
  • RelaxedMikki 30 Aug 2013 09:53:24 929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Picked up Dark Arisen from Games on Demand a few weeks ago and really enjoying it. The wilderness looks really wonky, characters pop in from about 2 meters away, and there doesn't really seem to be anything that you could call a plot, but the third person combat is the best I have played. Strafing forwards with your bow, picking off bandits as you ascend a deserted tower under the moonlight, feels great...

I have a question though: how the heck do I leave a 'Thank You' when I borrow a pawn? I just let go of the mage who saw me though a good 10 hours of play and wanted to leave a 'Thank You' to the owner - I could see that for some reason I am not allowed to gift the owner of the pawn, but does that mean I could not leave a message either?
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Aug 2013 09:55:16 35,558 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki Sounds like maybe it was one of Capcom's pawns and not one from a player.
  • quadfather 30 Aug 2013 09:58:54 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got the dark arisen t'other day. Nice smooth install and picked up my existing save fine. Just a question though - where is the eternal ferrystone? Do you have to quest for it or am I just being blind?

• RelaxedMikki 30 Aug 2013 10:13:01 929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @UncleLou - ahh, OK. An NPC pawn. That would make sense - all the player lady Pawns I am finding in the rift seem to have forgotten to put their pants on, and the one I was using was fully dressed, so maybe you are right!
  • RelaxedMikki 30 Aug 2013 10:14:56 929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather - if you head to the Inn (or any location where you can rest) the Eternal Ferrystone should be there in the 'Stored Items' along with some other bits and bobs (a Nun's costume? Thanks Capcom!)
  • quadfather 30 Aug 2013 10:35:28 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers boss!

• Julpero 31 Aug 2013 18:50:33 38 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Strafing forwards with your bow, picking off bandits as you ascend a deserted tower under the moonlight, feels great...
    I picked the game up recently as well and thus far the most memorable moment is from the same place, if you're talking about the bandit's fortress, close to the Witchwood.

I went there through the beach and fought the bandits and the cyclops at the same time. After that I went to the fortress from the back and just started to climb to the top hoping to find treasure. Luckily it happened to be a quest item I was supposed to find.

Something about the scene just felt special. The sun started to set after I'd reached the fort and the darkness fell by the time I got down.

Then I had to return to safety by lantern light and must've fought a hundred wolves before I got to safety. Thank god for the Pentad Shot and the fire buff.

BTW is it just me or does this game handle darkness extremely well? The graphics during daylight are extremely simple and probably the worst I've seen in a PS3 game, but when it gets dark the game looks beautiful.

I also love how the enemies circle you in the darkness just beyond the lantern's reach. That on top of the fact that you never know what's waiting in the darkness just makes the nights so tense.

The fighting system felt awkward to me at the start because I was so used to the one in Dark Souls, but after playing for a while I've started to feel like it's actually better in some ways.

The bow system is especially great and I feel like it's so satisfying that I'm probably changing vocation from Strider to a Ranger soon. It reminds me of Resident Evil 4's or Dead Space's shooting systems more than the traditional way that Dark Souls has.

It's just so satisfying and it feels good instead of something that just breaks the game like it does in Dark Souls.

Jesus this post was too long, haha. Still this game is pretty great thus far. Especially for a game that I bought for 15.
  • quadfather 2 Sep 2013 08:24:11 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Julpero - that's how I feel with strider/ranger and the game in general. Also coming from demons/dark souls too.

There's some really good atmospheric moments in places and yeah I don't know whether its the lantern that makes nighttime better or the darkness itself, but its great stuff.

Some really nice locations later too

• UncleLou Moderator 2 Sep 2013 09:09:20 35,558 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Julpero wrote:
    BTW is it just me or does this game handle darkness extremely well? The graphics during daylight are extremely simple and probably the worst I've seen in a PS3 game, but when it gets dark the game looks beautiful.
    It does handle darkness extremely well, I disagree that it looks bad during the day though. I've said it before, it looks often eerily real to me. The proportions of everything, the colour of the light, etc. There's an unusually strong sense of place. It could do with better image quality, but to me it's a beautiful game.
  • quadfather 2 Sep 2013 09:48:01 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ^ Agreed. There's a real sense of presence when I'm playing it. I think the way that it's not very 'gamey' helps convey the realistic feeling of it all.

• MrWonderstuff 2 Sep 2013 11:37:24 1,933 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As above the lighting during the daylight is staggering at times. But crawling through dark dungeons with your party is everything D&D, Runequest was to me when I was a lot younger.
  • RelaxedMikki 2 Sep 2013 14:29:34 929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I am quite close to completing the main quest now. Seems what I had assumeed was a side quest is actually the main plot!

Going to try the Dark Arisen content tonight. I am hoping for some nice spooky Demon Souls inspired locations. As mentioned above, the game engine really does atmospheric lighting well...

What's the deal with 'Wakestones' I haven't used one of those so far, but have read comments about it being useful to farm them before venturing into the Bitterback Isle?
  • jabberwoky 2 Sep 2013 19:12:28 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just begun this, its very very good so far and I agree with the above posts about the world being very realistic and atmospheric, you could almost be back in the middle ages at times.

There is a lot to take in though for a first play and I'm kind of still learning, even after a few hours.
  • Julpero 2 Sep 2013 19:47:18 38 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am not a smart man.

I kept wondering how my pawn mage kept on dying all the time. Then I realized that only the main pawn levels up so I had Rook on my team at level 6 when I was level 27 with my main pawn.

No wonder he only knew how to do two spells...

Had a lot of fun when I went exploring past the bandit fortress wanting to get the needed materials to upgrade my Sylvan Bow to lvl 3.

Happened to spot the Chimera earlier when I was exploring but died in three seconds so I decided to just go explore further.

I went through two day cycles and killed the two cyclops that were together. Then when the dark came again I was just running around hoping that I wouldn't run into anything two strong and especially not the Chimera.

I was running around in almost total darkness to save the oil for battle situations. Then out of nowhere I heard a sound of huge wings and saw a figure rise to the sky. Ran like hell and just hoped that it wasn't chasing me.

Went on the DD-wikia and found out it was this thing [link url=http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Drake][/link]

Luckily it didn't chase me so all I had to fight with was goblins till I ran into a camp just during daybreak. Ironically there was a merchant who was selling the Direwolf Bow. Probably could've bought it from Gran Soren as well...

After this I again proved that I'm not a smart man and twice re-organized my pawns and items. Then I forgot to save both times and got killed by the damn Chimera. Of course I killed the cyclops before it too so I wasted at least 20 minutes both times.

I really should stop writing these damn diaries here. I just love this game so much that I feel the need to express it. I'll try to keep it shorter next time :-P
  • quadfather 2 Sep 2013 20:00:07 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He he I like reading em. Have had similar experiences. Its fun at night isn't it :) you know about the party mechanics yes? Mage as healer the yourself as whatever then 2 hired/friends pawns to compliment the party? I'm still finding (as a ranger and have main pawn as a sorceror) that if I then hire a mage to heal and a fighter I generally can get through most encounters. Though haven't tried dlc yet

• Julpero 2 Sep 2013 21:59:43 38 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I've been using three pawns. I just didn't realize that they don't level up.

Currently I'm playing a Strider and my main pawn is a fighter and the two regular pawns are a fighter and a mage.

This team works pretty great against big crowds since a Strider can control the crowd really well with his bow skills and the melee fighters then do the damage and mage is working as a healer.

I'm still considering a switch to either Assassin or Ranger. Assassin I'd play pretty much the same way as I play a Strider but I think Assassin has a couple of bow skills I'd really like to try out.

Ranger of course is interesting because he's got the strongest bow skills and some other interesting skills as well. I just fear that I'd have to start another hunt for equipment since he uses a different bow than a Strider.
  • Kanjin 2 Sep 2013 23:04:02 1,116 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can play assassin by yourself I think? you get massive bonuses and it sounds nice to not have the pawns shouting down your ear every 30 seconds. But I've never tried it.

Buy yourself a nice bow from the store if you need it. Never quite figured out how the store works but there's usually a fairly decent weapon for most classes at any given time.
  • Julpero 3 Sep 2013 09:19:16 38 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I saw a video that was showing Assassin's skill-set and it became obvious that most of the abilities were made for the players who don't want to use pawns.

The shops depend on how far you've progressed in the game from my understanding. Apparently I had progressed enough to by the Direwolf Bow but didn't visit any shops after I finished the quest under the Pawn guild.

Before this mission the bow wasn't available so I figured that I'd need to get the material to max out the Sylvan Bow.
  • quadfather 3 Sep 2013 09:34:39 12,152 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't remember what bow I've got, but I *love* ranged attacks with the bow, so the ranger really suits my playstyle. I am never going to change my main pawn from being a sorcerer, simply because the stuff he casts is like having your own personal armageddon on standby. Honestly, some of the stuff he can chuck out is hilarious. Most fights end up in total carnage.

I may still try assassin as I've probably got some daggers and a decent enough sword for her to use, but I'm definitely going to have more ranger related fun for a while

Yeah, store is level related, but if plough through some quests, you'll soon find some decent loot

• Page

of 132 First / Last