Dragon's Dogma Page 124

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• lordofthedunce 16 May 2013 20:55:45 381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel
    I think the spiritual successor from Capcom is coming on PS4. I have totally forgotten what it's called though!
  • Triggerhappytel 16 May 2013 21:24:51 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deep Down.

Seems strange that two of the most recent new IPs by Capcom would both be fantasy action-RPGs. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if Deep Down was in fact the working title for Dragon's Dogma 2. Capcom have already confirmed that they're persisting with the series.
  • Gunzberg 16 May 2013 22:08:37 1,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    convercide wrote:
    I can't wait to play this. It's on my to do pile. Got the Dark Arisen version pre-owned from Grainger for 15 the other day. Well, I traded a few old games against it so I didn't actually pay a penny.

How the hell it was pre-owned already I'll never know.
    Without wanting to sound bossy, this really is a game you should buy new. There's a lot that needs improving, but it's such a solid effort of their first proper in depth action RPG. Capcom deserves all the sales they can get from this, and hopefully in two or three years we'll get a brilliant sequel which has made magnificent strides forward.

Anyway, I'm kind of losing momentum with this a little. Think I'll power through, finish the main plot and then head to Bitterblack after that. Can anyone suggest the best place to go or enemies to fight to level up? I'm currently level 43 ish for my Arisen and pawn. I also need to go and kill that fucking Drake in Devil's Grove, but I'm nowhere near powerful enough yet. Again, any particular tips for fighting it?
    I fought that drake by hiring 2 high level pawns and constantly rezzing all the pawns when they fell. Took a good 15-20min that fight but made it. (high level pawns at 108 and 147 level respectively). I was about lvl 25 at the time I killed him

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• convercide 16 May 2013 22:38:12 6,201 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel I would have bought it new if they'd had it in new. I generally steer clear of pre-owned. Game had the DLC-less version new but it was pricey. Fair point though.

On the flip side, Capcom have milked me 3 times for Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4 and Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition.

I do feel a bit guilty now though, you swine.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Rodriguez 16 May 2013 23:17:50 1,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:

1. Can anyone suggest the best place to go or enemies to fight to level up? I'm currently level 43 ish for my Arisen and pawn.

2. I also need to go and kill that fucking Drake in Devil's Grove, but I'm nowhere near powerful enough yet. Again, any particular tips for fighting it?
    1. Best place to level up in the main vanilla game is the Everfall that opens up near the end of the game. Plenty of high level monsters down there to fight and gain large amounts of XP and also the place to farm loads of Wakestones.

Not only do the Wakestone have the awesome ability to revive you, but if you've got a Gold/Silver/Bronze Statue from an earlier side-quest (preferably Gold), you can sell them to vendors for fuck loads of gold! If I remember correctly, I was selling them for 52K each!!

To level quickly, it's also a good idea to purchase items like 'Veteran Periapts' from the likes of Fournival in Gran Soren that grant 'Weal' status on your main character and pawn. Weal grants double XP for any enemies you kill so it's a brilliant way to jump up 2 levels at a time against big monsters (sometimes up to 3-level jumps if it's the Ur-Dragon)!

You'd have to do Fournival's missions first and also save him from execution to open him up as a (pretty awesome) merchant. You also have to max out his affinity so he'll sell the 'Veteran Periapts', which are 25K gold a piece (get farming and selling those Wakestones!).

There are other merchants, like Madeleine, who sell Weal granting items but I think they're far more expensive; I think about 75K each!! So Fournival is your best bet.

2. The Drake in Devilfire Grove, and all other Drakes for that matter, is/are highly susceptible to Ice damage! So Ice Enchantment magick imbued on your weapon from a support Mage and/or Ice Magic spells do wonders. All class of 'Dragon' enemies have a 'roar' ability that knocks your pawns out instantly too, so just be ready to run around and pick them back up off their feet again too!

Alternatively, the Mystic Knight vocation absolutely rocks against the majority of enemies in the game (apart from perhaps the boss in BBI). Use your shield skill that imbues both yourself and all support pawns with Ice Enchantment, cast Vortex Sigil to give you a swirling field of ice damage to stand in, cast 2 or 3 Great Cannon orbs and then use something like the Antler Toss or Compass Slash attack to smash the shit out of the orbs to send a huge barrage of pain towards the Drake - he'll die so quickly you'll be laughing!

Also, bear in mind that the other Dragon types (Wyrms, Wyverns, Ur Dragon etc) have different elemental weaknesses, so Ice is only for Drakes!
  • shamblemonkee 16 May 2013 23:27:26 14,652 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ruinous Sigil also works extremely well as a magic trap to combine with great cannons :D.
  • Rodriguez 16 May 2013 23:35:11 1,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whoops! You're absolutely right shambs, I'm mixing up my sigils, d'oh :D!!

So, Ruinous Sigil is what you want for a swirling field of death and Vortex Sigil is used to pull in smaller enemies; pretty useless tbh!

Stone Grove/Forest is also quite powerful at times too, slow to cast but a powerful eruption of stone magick from the ground!
  • Triggerhappytel 16 May 2013 23:45:25 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rodriguez
    Thank you for the tips, it is kindly appreciated. I'm currently a Strider and was sitting on this vocation until I'd unlocked all the abilities. I was probably going to swap to Magic Archer next, but maybe I'll go Mystic Knight direction instead.
  • repairmanjack 17 May 2013 01:33:43 6,078 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice to have Bokur back in the party! :)

Seems like my pawn, Jasmin, has been rather busy these past few months too. Switched her over to a ranger again, for a change. Just hit level 90 and ready for the new area, I think.
  • Trafford 17 May 2013 01:51:43 5,964 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aww fuck, I think I may have gimped my game. For the last two nights I've tried to fight the **spoiler*** big red boss towards the end of the game. Only level 43 and I now feel woefully unprepared after feeling vastly over powered for the last 20+ hours or so. Was finding most of the drops weighty burdens, so left the majority of my inventory back at the inn.

Now I seem to have gone past the point of no return, having read the previous page here, I seen to have missed a few tricks.
    I'm playing the battle mage class1qtqg 11q, but no way to backtrack. I can sense that big boss/fuck this game feeling coming.
  • Vortex808 17 May 2013 01:54:14 7,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whoops. Nearly 2am and still up during the week, due to getting a bit involved in this.

RPG's always mess up my concept of time....
  • Triggerhappytel 18 May 2013 00:51:12 2,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aw, FFS - the Eternal Ferrystone has disappeared from my inventory! I've just begun using it, and despite my initial thinking that it would ruin the game world and make travelling too easy, it's great to save time, especially when travelling back to Gran Soren after a quest. Damnit.
  • Folant 18 May 2013 08:01:14 1,585 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Right, I'm a bit confused.

I gave my brother my vanilla Dragon's Dogma disc. Since I don't need it, blah blah blah.
    I hired his pawn and couldn't rate or trade, which I get because I'm in DA, and he couldn't hire mine, again, makes sense.
    But I got him to download that Bitterblack Armour Preview thing, and still nothing. The description says that it allows the Bitterblack armour to be previewed on another arisen pawn, so I would assume it's for vanilla players, right? Why would someone with DA need that? Since the armour content is with DA?
    Anyone had a similar experience or can shed a day of light in wtf the armour preview is for other than vanilla players?

Should have got the digital version instead of the disc, like a Fucking mong. Lol

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Spunkweazle 20 May 2013 22:26:00 470 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm obviously doing this game wrong, I have struggled to find missions at times, I seem to have only found main storey missions or kill x number of fuckmunchkins, I now find myself at what looks for all the world like the last boss at level 43 with no health and no way of continuing.

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Rodriguez 20 May 2013 23:04:03 1,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spunkweazle wrote:
    I'm obviously doing this game wrong, I have struggled to find missions at times, I seem to have only found main storey missions or kill x number of fuckmunchkins, I now find myself at what looks for all the world like the last boss at level 43 with no health and no way of continuing.
    Whereabouts are you in the game Spunkweazle? I'm guessing from what you've said you're fighting Grigori (the main big red Dragon)?
  • Spunkweazle 21 May 2013 06:03:19 470 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rodriguez yep that's where I am, I have about 400 health points and no curative items remaining

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• ardamillo 21 May 2013 08:47:36 525 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're stuck you can retry from checkpoint - hopefully you slept or entered the rift fairly recently?
  • the_dudefather 7 Jun 2013 23:10:59 9,416 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started again with Dark Arisen, finally defeated the Dragon with the aid of long time forum pawn ally Biscuit

How crazy is the post-dragon stuff? It's so bleak! :D

Still loads to do by the looks of it, even without Bitterblack isle

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Mr_Sleep 7 Jun 2013 23:30:17 17,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I have been playing this pretty obsessively for a few days now and I have a question, I am playing as a mystic knight and I have pretty much maxed it out now. Is there much to be gained from switching vocation? I am a bit confused as to what would happen if I did.

You are a factory of sadness.

• the_dudefather 7 Jun 2013 23:36:54 9,416 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can switch back whenever for free, and you'll probably switch a few times through the game (you'll get enough points)

The benefit from switching comes from the augments you can learn, getting some from other classes can be pretty useful

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Augments

I started off as fighter, then was mostly assassin throughout the game, but got a couple of augments from fighter, warrior and ranger

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Mr_Sleep 8 Jun 2013 00:03:06 17,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for answering my question, I'll have a go. reducing casting time would be useful.

Just finished the griffon quest, I'm guessing I have a ton of content left.

You are a factory of sadness.

• BTBAM 8 Jun 2013 18:50:23 1,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Charmed by this game... But how do I know if the sword I have is any good? I have a rusty sword and just bought an iron sword but can't find anywhere onscreen to tell me which is better...? Only just started playing, been about 40 minutes and too scared to leave the town!
  • BTBAM 8 Jun 2013 18:50:50 1,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never mind found it! Duh!
  • BTBAM 8 Jun 2013 19:15:18 1,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anything about this game that you wished you knew when you played it? Just left town and killed some goblins, felt good!

Do you choose skill points when you level up?
  • Vortex808 8 Jun 2013 19:35:25 7,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it walks you through it fairly soon in the main quest line. I must get back to it soon, I miss it. Cracking game. Maybe leave night time wandering off the roads for a wee while yet though!
  • BTBAM 9 Jun 2013 01:09:01 1,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uh oh. I've got on a pathway and it's nighttime. Should I turn back to the village?

When I first turned the game on I thought it was shit; dated, awful dialogue, terrible story but something about it meant I played it again today and I got hooked. Only played an hour in total but have been thinking about it. Wish I had more time off work to play it!
  • ardamillo 9 Jun 2013 01:20:25 525 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BTBAM Back up your save file!

Skill points - no, you get them for killing stuff and finishing quests, and spend them at inns. Level ups just increase your HP/MP/Stamina based on your vocation.
  • Huggybear 9 Jun 2013 09:05:23 840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    @BTBAM Back up your save file!

Skill points - no, you get them for killing stuff and finishing quests, and spend them at inns. Level ups just increase your HP/MP/Stamina based on your vocation.
    Increasing your level raises your attributes.

Increasing your vocation rank gives you access to new abilities and augments.

You can see when you're about to gain a new level, but there's no way that I know of to see when your vocation rank will increase (there's a formula to how many vocation points you get whenever you get experience points).

Some augments are very useful to any vocation... such as "Sinew"
  • mikeck 10 Jun 2013 16:04:30 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    So I have been playing this pretty obsessively for a few days now and I have a question, I am playing as a mystic knight and I have pretty much maxed it out now. Is there much to be gained from switching vocation? I am a bit confused as to what would happen if I did.
    I'm pretty sure as well that by playing other vocations you can increase your skills further...?

I thought I had maxed out my Magick Archer, but played as Mage and Sorcerer for some time, to find my Magick Archer was more powerful because of skilling up magic focused areas.

Sorry, that sounds awfully vague, but I haven't logged in and played DD for months now.

I will definitely be picking this up again in a few weeks, as I have Dark Arisen at home, and am looking forward to changing vocation from Archer to Mystic Knight, as that sounds like the perfect class for Bitterblack Isle.

Edited by mikeck at 16:05:01 10-06-2013
  • the_dudefather 10 Jun 2013 16:14:38 9,416 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished game last night, but Bitterblack isle awaits!

Want to jump back into NG+ right away, played as Assassin/fighter/mystic knight most of the time, maybe try Mage this time

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Page

of 132 First / Last