Dragon's Dogma Page 116

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 3 May 2013 09:55:31 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started this again because I was worried about the save corruptions so am now saved to the Cloud. I'm glad I did start again to be honest as I have been a lot more successful.

Like Vortex I have also been saving a lot as I noticed that death comes quickly.
    I've just done the first main quest at the main hub (I always forget the name of the bloody city) and things are falling into place just right.

Still yet to take a meaningful walk out in the dark as I'm only about level 15 but if any of the big stuff I've seen in the daylight is anything to go by I'm glad I havent yet.

I'm thinking about changing to Ranger vocation from Strider but was first wondering if there is really any advantage to changing vocations other than different moves and weapons. Is it quite possible to run through the whole game as your staring vocation without any problems?

Made my main pawn into a kind of Dwarf Troll slayer with his mohawk and big beard and crazy attributes that I added to in that chair at the pawn building. I think he needs a two handed war hammer so I'll probably change him to Warrior soon.
  • fletch7100 3 May 2013 10:03:06 7,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko

You can stick with one class but its better to max out the vocation for one then switch. All augments you unlock with a class you can use with another class. I'm just mucking about maxing out classes to try different styles.

Ranger can be quite lethal with a strong bow and ten fold arrow attack.

Think each class gives different stat increases each time you level up. Been a Mage most of the time and my pawn who has been a warrior/fighter type has way more HP than me even tho we are the same level
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 May 2013 10:03:20 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    Bit nervous about starting this ! I have a sealed copy of it on my shelf at home and wondering if its really for me as I don't like hard games. I like RPGs like skyrim and fallout and this seems more like dark souls. Wondering if i should give it a go or just eBay it while its still sealed
    You'll be missing out if you do. It can be hard but from what I've noticed so far a lot of encounters are random and it is very possible to run past or away from them. So long as you save lots there really shouldn't be any problem.
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 May 2013 10:07:03 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @fletch7100

Ah ok, I get it.

I have also noticed that the stats are different between me and my pawn even though we are the same level. Kind of glad really as my pawn is mental and always runs for the biggest enemies first so more health is good for him.
  • Shikasama 3 May 2013 10:25:30 6,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your vocation when you level dictates the stat allocation you are rewarded.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths
  • Huggybear 3 May 2013 10:42:07 714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Your vocation when you level dictates the stat allocation you are rewarded.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths
    This is one of the things I don't like about the game: some classes just scale poorly. I'm currently playing Magick Archer, and they get lots of magic defense... who needs that as a ranged class? So, to create the best Magick Archer you need to play the game as a Strider (stamina and balanced stats) and then Sorcerer (lots of magic attack). They should just give you a bunch of attribute points when you level up, and allow you to put a maximum of 4-6 in each stat.

Edited by Huggybear at 10:52:14 03-05-2013
  • northernlights 3 May 2013 10:49:00 653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any advice for someone about go start the game ? What to pick etc
  • Huggybear 3 May 2013 10:54:13 714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    Probably best to start off as a Strider (bow + dagger attacks) or Fighter (sword and shield), and make your pawn a Mage (healer) or Fighter (tank).
  • Vortex808 3 May 2013 10:59:12 7,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can change vocation, so i wouldn't worry about what you pick. Just pick the one you think you'd most like to play as, and have your pawn as something else that will balance that out.

I feel I made a bit of a mistake during pawn creation, but haven't stressed too much about it. I aim to change my pawn to a more warrior based class soon, since most folk I have on my FL have created mages. You only find out what is available to you after you have designed your own pawn sadly.

Pawns created by your friends cost nothing to hire, so it would cost me too much to hire decent warriors. I figure I might as well alter my pawn instead.

I currently have an unbalanced party with a strider (me), a ranger, a mage and a sorceror (I think) for healing/offensive buffs and blasting enemies. The ranger gives ranged attacks and so can I, or I will get in closer if need be.

This is working ok so far as I have now enhanced my weapons and got some slightly better gear, but will need to be better balanced soon.

Edited by Vortex808 at 11:00:06 03-05-2013
  • fletch7100 3 May 2013 10:59:59 7,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was the opposite, I was Mage/sorcerer first playthrough my pawn was fighter/ warrior for the majority of the time
  • L_Franko Moderator 3 May 2013 11:21:21 9,694 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    I've been enjoying the Strider class so far, a good balance of ranged and close up attacks.

Other than that, save and keep an eye out for items.
  • RedSparrows 3 May 2013 11:42:25 22,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played as a Strider, then Assassin. I must get DA and resume my quest! Never even finished the main q :/
  • fletch7100 3 May 2013 11:56:43 7,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well that's the main dragon killed on hard, was level 82 Magic Archer. So I sat back let everyone else charge in as I fired arrows everywhere :)

I can't access the server, anyone else having same problems
  • fletch7100 3 May 2013 12:00:38 7,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also I didn't realise who my highest NPC affinity was with, oh dear :)
  • Huggybear 3 May 2013 12:02:43 714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    northernlights wrote:
    I've been enjoying the Strider class so far, a good balance of ranged and close up attacks.

Other than that, save and keep an eye out for items.
    It's versatile, fun and mobile, and offers the most balanced stat increases while levelling (plus lots of stamina), so whatever class you eventually go for, you can't go wrong by starting as a Strider.

Strider + Fighter pawn combo is great anyway: quite often your pawn will grab smaller enemies in an arm-lock and call out to you to come kill them:-P

Mind, you *need* a mage in your group for healing and debuffing, but as I recall the first borrowed pawn you get automatically is a mage? (even before you get to make your own pawn)
  • Rodriguez 3 May 2013 12:04:01 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    Also I didn't realise who my highest NPC affinity was with, oh dear :)
    Was it the inn keeper from Gran Soren fletch :D?
  • Huggybear 3 May 2013 12:09:31 714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Incidentally, Magick Archer is a bit easy-mode at times.

You can kill the Cursed Dragon (which you can summon by using the Bait) in that moonlit courtyard where you first meet Barroch without ever taking damage.

Climb the stairs halfway, then Hunter Bolt the dragon. He will fly up to attack you, Hunter Bolt him and he crashes down. Rinse and repeat for ten minutes... and it does take a while since none of your pawns will attack him from that position.

Even easier than killing the Ur-Dragon, since he actually uses spells that can hit you anywhere.
  • shamblemonkee 3 May 2013 12:14:42 14,316 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure how but it totally escaped my attention that class had an impact on stat gains when levelling, my characters all over the shop heh
  • Shikasama 3 May 2013 12:21:27 6,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Huggybear wrote:
    Mind, you *need* a mage in your group for healing and debuffing, but as I recall the first borrowed pawn you get automatically is a mage? (even before you get to make your own pawn)
    This isn't really true, certainly for the main game. For the main game I played through most of it without a spellcaster pawn and used curatives instead. You get a shedload of greenwarish and what have you as you play and can always buy more.

When you hit the Everfall things change because you're getting whacked all over the shop, but the majority of the vanilla game is perfectly do-able without a mage.
  • Huggybear 3 May 2013 12:23:53 714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Not sure how but it totally escaped my attention that class had an impact on stat gains when levelling, my characters all over the shop heh
    Also, you get Discipline points from experience all the time (which advances your vocation rank), but stat points only when you level up.

So, to min-max: play whatever vocation you want to advance until you're about to level up, switch to the vocation that gives the stats you want, level up, switch back.

I spent a lot of time killing cows and goblins near Gran Soren...
  • fletch7100 3 May 2013 12:46:23 7,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rodriguez

Nah the weapon seller from Gran Soren. Him small and beard my character a giant, never going to last :)
  • Rodriguez 3 May 2013 13:35:32 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @Rodriguez

Nah the weapon seller from Gran Soren. Him small and beard my character a giant, never going to last :)
    Haha, Caxton! Yeah, he blushes all lovingly when my guy talks to him too, I'm not surprised given the amount of gold I spent on his weapons and armour over the course of the game!
  • Rodriguez 3 May 2013 13:46:33 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Shikasama

How's your progress going Shika? Have you managed to beat the Bitterblack boss a second time yet? I see that Bokur is a Fighter again now, but I'm still rolling with his Warrior form for now!

I finally managed to get all of Orenda's gear DF'd yesterday at long last!! I had to fight four different Dragons last night to get the final pieces done! I'm in the process of getting some materials duplicated at the Black Cat in order to rarefy some of the gear too!

I'm just glad to be back to Mystic Knight with all my beefy armour so I can get stuck in on the fights again and will probably switch Orenda back to Mage (though she was pretty good as a Sorcerer). I'm actually quite tempted to try the Ranger class for my main guy, but would have to start at occupation level 1 :|, so would have to think about a return to Gran Soren for a while to level!
  • DugBriderider 3 May 2013 13:47:33 528 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2 questions for those in the know, just reached Grand Soran (or whatever) for the 1st time.

My Character was a Mage now a Sorcerer with a Fighter pawn, but have trouble finding Health/Buff Mage pawn with all the right spells, is it worth converting my Fighter to Mage and employing muscle to to fill the last two slots?

Pawn chatter is annoying both voice and subtitles, could I get by without it by setting voice to Japanese and removing pawn subtitles, would I really miss much?
  • Shikasama 3 May 2013 13:49:33 6,740 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No I've been levelling up and trying to get some equipment...using an Ice element bow at the minute and don't like it. The carrion feeders are going down a lot quicker now though. I haven't even dared gone down to that second boss yet....have you tried it?

I didn't realsie there was so much level 3 gear up for grabs, all with random enchantment possibilities as well. I so rarely see Lvl 3 Cursed gear.

Also, in BI your vocation ranks incredibly quickly, so dive on in and give it a go.
  • robthehermit 3 May 2013 13:49:37 4,029 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Back off my holidays tomorrow, and this should be waiting on the doormat for me. How does getting all the free stuff for already having the game work? Does it just auto detect the save and job done?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Vortex808 3 May 2013 13:53:59 7,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I level up some more and get to say level 20-ish, can I nip over to BI to see what it's like, or will I just get my arse handed to me by absolutely everything? I think I remember reading that level 30-40ish was recommended before heading over there.

I am impatient to see it, but if I have to play through the main game first, then that's not really an issue.
  • oldschoolsoviet 3 May 2013 13:57:19 5,459 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No.
    Yes.
    Not advisable.
  • Vortex808 3 May 2013 13:59:21 7,060 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :)

Thanks for putting that so succinctly.

Main game first it is then!
  • Rodriguez 3 May 2013 13:59:30 1,092 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    No I've been levelling up and trying to get some equipment...using an Ice element bow at the minute and don't like it. The carrion feeders are going down a lot quicker now though. I haven't even dared gone down to that second boss yet....have you tried it?

I didn't realsie there was so much level 3 gear up for grabs, all with random enchantment possibilities as well. I so rarely see Lvl 3 Cursed gear.

Also, in BI your vocation ranks incredibly quickly, so dive on in and give it a go.
    Think I got one of those Ice Bows, looked quite swish, not that myself or Orenda can use it (hence suggestion of class change)! As for the end boss... nope, haven't gone near the place, just been focussed on DFing gear in the early parts of the dungeon where there's Dragons ans Curse Dragons.

Vocation ranks quickly in BI eh!? Hmmm, might have to try that then!

robthehermit wrote:
    Back off my holidays tomorrow, and this should be waiting on the doormat for me. How does getting all the free stuff for already having the game work? Does it just auto detect the save and job done?
    Hi rob, hope you're having a nice time! Yeah, the stuff is just given to you if you've owned the original! They've added a lot of the previous DLC stuff too, so new haircuts/colours, weapons, armour etc

Admittedly the best gear is now on Bitterblack though, some very tasty stuff up for grabs!
  • Page

of 132 First / Last