Dragon's Dogma Page 113

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 11:41:50 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TenderChicken wrote:
    I've only got a few friends with the game on my friends list, so if anybody would like me to use their pawn/would like to use mine, feel free to add me on 360: Tenderchicken1.
    I'll add you when I get on this later buddy, GT: ChaosEngine83, got a lvl.129 Mage pawn so not sure if that's overpowered for your game :)

Think I added ardamillo (GT: ardlive) yesterday too, so just a heads up to him too.

Edited by Rodriguez at 11:44:04 29-04-2013
  • shamblemonkee 29 Apr 2013 12:10:07 14,257 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TenderChicken feel free to add me, my Pawn is currently a lvl 50 fighter.

gt: shamblemonkeee
  • Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 12:20:00 6,603 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah TenderChicken (awesome username) you can add me as well (Abueloshika) but Bokur is now 13something. Get Orenda and Bokur in the same team and the game will complete itself!

Out of interest Rod, what was your approach for the final boss as a Mystic Knight?
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Apr 2013 12:42:18 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just picked up Dark Arisen after having a read of a review and watching a few quick gameplay videos.
    I do enjoy hack and slash, fantasy and killing big beaties so I'm hoping I'll get into it.
    From what I have read the original game takes a little bit to start getting into so I shall keep that in mind.

Quite looking forward to starting it.
  • Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 12:42:55 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Out of interest Rod, what was your approach for the final boss as a Mystic Knight?
    Well Shika, it's like this, run the fuck away and let the pawns handle him :) ha

I just tried to keep behind him as much as possible and just waded in with a few hits here and there plus I've got a power move called Tusk Toss[:D] that hits hard in an upward arc. I'm using the Holy imbued mace thingy that I got from the Ur-Dragon, hopefully there's something new and more powerful in Bitterblack to replace that eventually as Orenda has all the tasty stuff for now!

Other than that I only had a few chances for a quick few blasts of Great Cannon & Stone Forest, he moves so much and spams magic like a complete nutter - there were times Kyrk got knocked over and couldn't stand up again for a good minute he was hit with one attack after the bloody other!

Bokur and a lvl.134 japanese player Strider pawn called Alice, who I picked up in the rift, were crawling all over him as best they could and Orenda was almost permanently throwing round healing spells! That boss was a seriously tough mo-fo, I hate to think of what is now down there based on your previous post of going back down there.
  • elvenscroll 29 Apr 2013 13:00:01 1,374 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TenderChicken wrote:
    I managed to squeeze a few hours into this over the weekend - I'm very, very impressed. It seems to combine Monster Hunter, Dark Souls and Skyrim and it pulls it off brilliantly. I'm only about level 15 and just beginning to get a feel for the game, I started off as a strider and I'm loving the combat. It just seems to work so well; the Shadow of Colossus-inspired enemy scaling is brilliant.

I've only got a few friends with the game on my friends list, so if anybody would like me to use their pawn/would like to use mine, feel free to add me on 360: Tenderchicken1.
    Feel free to add me - Chipworm.

My pawn is level 49 and called Biscuit.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 13:46:51 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @L_Franko

It's an awesome game! It does start slowly, but it helps you to learn the ropes and once you hit the main city of Gran Soren not far into the game, it opens up all kinds of options for character development with occupations, skills, pawns, items, weapons and of course quests. I would add that the combat is a lot more intricate than merely 'hack&slash', there's loads of skill choices to make use of in battles depending on occupation.

Some of the battles against bigger foes are quite epic and it's awesome that you can leap up and grab onto/crawl all over them, though a bit worrying if something like a Griffin decides to fly miles up in the sky with your stamina draining(that stat allowing you to hold on...till it runs out). Someone on the last page mentioned it was a bit like Ray Harryhausen monster movies at times and I really like that analogy :).

There's nothing more worrying earlier on in the game than wandering out into the wilds on a quest or simply exploring, you start to see the sun come down and nervously break out your lantern and pray that none of the creatures that prowl at night come looking for you in the near pitch black...
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Apr 2013 14:00:35 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rodriguez

Excellent, your positive write up has made me look forward to getting started even more. Maybe I'll finish work a little earlier today.
  • Restart 29 Apr 2013 14:05:32 4,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh God, I just got to the Dragon & Lich combo & it appears to be utterly, utterly impossible.

My pawns all seem to get insta-killed leaving me on my own, unable to do anything, & inevitably dying horribly... I love it!
  • Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 14:19:46 6,603 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @L_Franko IF you really want some pant shittingy, terrifying moments than walk around at night without a lantern....
  • Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 14:36:19 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Restart wrote:
    Oh God, I just got to the Dragon & Lich combo & it appears to be utterly, utterly impossible.
    Heh! That's the Dark Bishop(badum tish). I hope you bash him up vigorously :p

Shikasama wrote:
    @L_Franko IF you really want some pant shittingy, terrifying moments than walk around at night without a lantern....
    Even more pant shittingly shitty, do it in just your characters undergarments with a single throwing rock for a weapon. "Soaked to the bone..", "Watch out for that puddle sire! Oh....:confused:"
  • ardamillo 29 Apr 2013 14:47:24 519 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rodriguez Accepted FR thanks.

Just realised I can't use DA pawns as I'm still on the original game. Now I'm even more tempted to double dip, maybe for NG+!
  • Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 14:54:58 6,603 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That reminds me actually, I need to change Bokur's behaviour to Aggressive tonight.

Rod, have you seen his new weapon yet? :p Also, I actualyl have a Bitterblack mace if you want it. I don't know if you can trade Bitterblack weapons but you're welcome to it.
  • Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 16:03:47 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Shikasama

I went to collect Bokur last night after the boss fight and this was after you mentioned his occupation change and funky new weapon, but he hadn't changed??

Oooh, that Mace sounds nice (please be absolutely sure you won't eventually need it though - I've got 4 Moonbeam stones to go open those doors so may get lucky!?) Plus I'd presumably have to change Orenda's occupation temporarily for her to accept it (if it can be traded at all)?

I was also going to mention that you can also duplicate some Bitterblack materials at the Black Cat in Gran Soren, so that's handy to know too! Give me a shout if there's something you need and I'll see if I any of it!
  • Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 16:09:53 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ardamillo wrote:
    @Rodriguez Accepted FR thanks.

Just realised I can't use DA pawns as I'm still on the original game. Now I'm even more tempted to double dip, maybe for NG+!
    Heh, no problem! Dark Arisen is going fairly cheap in most places and is worth it for the expansion alone, you can flog your original copy too so win-win!
  • L_Franko Moderator 29 Apr 2013 16:11:11 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I picked DA up for 17 new in the super market.
  • shamblemonkee 29 Apr 2013 16:14:07 14,257 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I traded in for it and paid 0.47!! :) now that's VFM

And yes it really is a great expansion. The dungeon entrance alone is just breath taking
  • Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 16:29:24 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    I traded in for it and paid 0.47!! :) now that's VFM

And yes it really is a great expansion. The dungeon entrance alone is just breath taking
    Yeah, Bitterblack is quite a strikingly beautiful place at times, there's some lovely blue night skies that shine through gaps in crumbling ruins with the odd sad tree lingering there, it's quite a juxtaposition considering the horrors that await in there.

Sometimes it's nice to just stand around and admire the areas, wondering if something truly terrifying and monstrous might just be standing behind you...

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s510/Chaos3ngine/2013-04-28152125.jpg" />]

Edited by Rodriguez at 16:29:48 29-04-2013
  • Tryhard 29 Apr 2013 16:31:27 3,659 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fighting at night.You cannot beat it in DD.

I dug out this old pic of the chaos you fall into.
  • Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 18:45:47 6,603 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rodriguez Hmm, how strange. he has a super duper weapon that I wanted to show off :( Pretty bitchin armour as well, he has the full immortal set now.

I fear I misled you, what I thought was a mace is actually a 2 handed beat stick :(
  • Rodriguez 29 Apr 2013 20:02:06 1,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I fear I misled you, what I thought was a mace is actually a 2 handed beat stick :(
    Not a problem, I think I got two of the same big Warrior class weapons from Bitterblack yesterday.
  • Triggerhappytel 29 Apr 2013 20:20:38 2,667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally received this from Amazon today. When my daughter and wife go to bed later I'll be all over this. If anyone has it on PS3 my ID is Telminator-2 and my pawn is a strider named Esculas, currently about level 30ish. I've not played it in a couple of months; I got it for Christmas but sold it when I heard Dark Arisen was coming and included the vanilla game in full.
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 Apr 2013 20:22:18 7,359 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I seem to be having lantern problems. It runs out so I put oil in it but it doesn't re light. Am I being a dumbass? Probably.
  • Triggerhappytel 29 Apr 2013 20:26:12 2,667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd
    Um, have you tried putting it away, waiting a minute or two and equipping it again? The lantern isn't going out because it's wet is it?
  • Wavey 29 Apr 2013 20:27:45 353 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I am still playing this in between fire emblem. I'm still unsure if I like it. I keep getting owned but i'm going to change class from warrior to mystic knight, see if I like that play style.
  • Triggerhappytel 29 Apr 2013 23:01:46 2,667 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What did they do to the likeably awful J-rock title song? :( I genuinely thought that was a good tune, if you stripped away the cheese and the lyrics. An orchestral version would have been great.
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 Apr 2013 23:35:33 7,359 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    @Pinky_Floyd
    Um, have you tried putting it away, waiting a minute or two and equipping it again? The lantern isn't going out because it's wet is it?
    God knows. I need a magic lantern :)

Had good fun going through the pawn guild basement battling tentacles on the way out. Some fast running and several pawn revives saw me safely out, though got a bit hairy.

Just figured out I can kit out my pawns. Finances dictate only myself and my main pawn get gear. The rest have to slum it. If you see Sheribaldi on your travels she is a level 15 mage and is freshly kitted out, grab her as a pawn if she is around hour level and take her for a spin.

You lot are all experts so won't be interested but here is my first impressions of the game.

To save you reading it, I like it a lot.

http://grayhairedgamer.co.uk/index.php/blog/2013/04/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-first-impressions
  • the_dudefather 29 Apr 2013 23:40:46 9,181 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    What did they do to the likeably awful J-rock title song? :( I genuinely thought that was a good tune, if you stripped away the cheese and the lyrics. An orchestral version would have been great.
    I know!

Especially as it comes out of nowhere, you are sitting on the menu, listening to some soft piano music, then all of a sudden: THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEEE

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• sirtacos 30 Apr 2013 00:12:48 7,267 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is going Strider - Ranger -- Assassin advisable?

I'm currently a level 27 Strider and I want moar stamina. I figure a few dozen levels of Rangery should fix me good. Then I can switch to Assassin to improve my stabby stabby.

I suppose it doesn't matter, though. The game is a bit too easy as it is. Maybe I should stop being lazy and drop Shikasama's overpowered level 129 warrior...
  • shamblemonkee 30 Apr 2013 00:19:24 14,257 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, not sure that hiding up a Cyclops is the safest place to evade a... thing... what even is that?!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77576478@N08/8693467343/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Probably safer sticking to Trolllololols :p

Edited by shamblemonkee at 00:21:25 30-04-2013
  • Page

of 132 First / Last