Dragon's Dogma Page 94

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• Lexx87 24 Dec 2012 09:04:45 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really would like this to come up on PC!

Speak the truth hussy!

• quadfather 24 Dec 2012 09:22:25 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I might have time to play this over the christmas period. I went strider (loved it), then ranger (loved it even more) then magic archer (It's ok, but underpowered because of the lack of magic), so swapped to sorcerer to get magic up then plan to go back to magick archer again.

So I don't know whether to try something else melee based, or plug on with the magic buffing.

I seem to remember I was doing this path because you eventually get 2 buffs that increase magic attack power by about 20-30%. But I think I'm going to have to read up on it all again :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• PenguinJim 24 Dec 2012 10:44:59 6,010 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You didn't try assassin? I was loving Ranger, then found Strider not quite as good, but the melee damage and flexibility of Assassin is amazing! :D
  • quadfather 24 Dec 2012 10:58:49 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was either assassin or archer, and like a chump, I chose archer. Which forced me into a mage for a bit. Though I suppose I could go back to assassin.

Yeah, might try that actually

• PenguinJim 24 Dec 2012 11:02:10 6,010 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tried Magick Archer before Assassin, too, but just didn't like it. :p
  • quadfather 24 Dec 2012 11:05:12 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. It's not just the lack of oomph in the attack, it's also the attacks themselves - I'm not as keen as the strider/ranger ones.

What's so good about the assassin then? What kind of abilities does it have, and what weapons would complement it?

Have I got to re-kit myself out again? :) Luckily I've kept most stuff for different classes

• UncleLou Moderator 24 Dec 2012 11:16:28 35,853 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Assassin has several absolutely amazing augments - autonomy boosts your strength and magick significantly when you're alone, for example, and another augment boosts your stats at night. As they stack, you can turn into a one man killing machine. Mind, I've not played one yet, but I want the augments so I can use them for the other vocations even if I don't enjoy the assassin.
  • quadfather 24 Dec 2012 11:30:07 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cheers UncleLou - that does sound rather tempting actually. I'm at that point where I can generally survive and have a good time at night, but not without the odd kicking, so that sounds very interesting.

If I could just leave work I could go any play the damn thing!

• EMarkM 24 Dec 2012 14:02:16 3,434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My "assassin" will return to her job once she's done her time as a sorcerer and then played around with magick archer for a bit.

She hadn't quite maxed out assassin when I moved her over to sorcerer, but she's got heaps of good bow skills, plus the invisibility and double jump, etc.

I'm having such an amazing time with this game :)
  • quadfather 24 Dec 2012 14:22:56 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I miss double jump. And the uppercut strike. Love that

• Triggerhappytel 28 Dec 2012 13:02:47 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This game is superb. I've only done a couple of hours so far, but I'm really engaged already, and we're going to visit the in-laws for two whole days, so I'm disappointed I won't be able to play more DD until Sunday night. The combat is really great; so much more enjoyable than any other RPG I can think of save Demon's & Dark Souls. The gameworld already feels huge and filled with neat little things to find, and the visuals and animation are mostly great (there's a lack of detail but the scale makes up for it). I'm taking my time and stocking up on stuff, but it feels like it has just the right level of depth without being overwhelming. Really impressed so far, well done Capcom. I even find the awful J-rock song strangely endearing.
  • quadfather 28 Dec 2012 13:17:32 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For anyone starting out, if you're around level 25-30, feel free to borrow Uncle Vyrt. He's a sorcerer and the kind souls on this forum have kitted him out pretty well. He's also got a massive afro and a ridiculous tache too, so what's not to like? :)

• UncleLou Moderator 28 Dec 2012 13:26:43 35,853 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    The combat is really great; so much more enjoyable than any other RPG I can think of save Demon's & Dark Souls.
    Yeah, every aspect (melee, bows, spells) is just so well realized for a game that is a mixture of stats and skills, and the combat never gets old. It really makes nearly every other RPG feel anemic in comparison.

And I've said it before: the world feels real to me. Proportions, walking speed, colours at different times during the day, hazy dusk, etc. - I am in the Alps quite often, and although it's not the technically prettiest game, it's the most realistically feeling landscape I've yet seen in a game, except maybe Armed Assualt. Where Bethesda's landscapes feel more like a theme park most of the time (where you can then climb a mountain that looked enormous in 3 minutes), this just feels eerily real.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:27:33 28-12-2012
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Dec 2012 14:13:09 15,407 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    This game is superb. I've only done a couple of hours so far, but I'm really engaged already, and we're going to visit the in-laws for two whole days, so I'm disappointed I won't be able to play more DD until Sunday night. The combat is really great; so much more enjoyable than any other RPG I can think of save Demon's & Dark Souls. The gameworld already feels huge and filled with neat little things to find, and the visuals and animation are mostly great (there's a lack of detail but the scale makes up for it). I'm taking my time and stocking up on stuff, but it feels like it has just the right level of depth without being overwhelming. Really impressed so far, well done Capcom. I even find the awful J-rock song strangely endearing.
    It is a great game. I posted in the Witcher 2 thread that I need to start both games from the off again, due to not playing either one for months. I put in around 5 -7 hours with DD (360) and enjoyed every minute.
    Are we getting the DLC soon, I think we have already had the new game modes, I mean the story dlc.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• mrharvest 29 Dec 2012 07:58:03 5,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the game a lot but I find the difficulty a bit strange. The first two hours were insultingly easy. Then it seemed every monster killed me in one hit for the next ten hours, which was a refreshing challenge. But now again I can take out everything except the dragon in the woods without breaking a sweat. (The dragon I can't seem to do much damage against so while it can't kill me I can't kill it either.) It's weird. Maybe I'm just supposed to leave my quests behind and move on?
  • mrharvest 29 Dec 2012 08:44:23 5,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Goodfella

See, I preferred the game when it was challenging. The bandits are pretty much the hardest enemies I've come across. Keep moving and take out the spellcasters and archers first. Divide and conquer. Dash type skills are the best when fighting hard hitting human sized foes like that. Also remember only your main pawn can gain levels so you need to replace your other two pawns regularly.

But to advance the main storyline you need to do quests from the guy outside the castle. That means you need to investigate the cult, etc.
  • mrharvest 29 Dec 2012 11:54:15 5,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, there's often a lot of enemies to fight. Sometimes I just run past them... Lucky the pawns magically teleport to you if you get too far apart.
  • neilqpr 29 Dec 2012 11:59:38 2,865 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I installed this last night about nine for a quick look, next thing I knew it was half three in the morning. I'll be honest the first few hours were a bit of a struggle, but I had one great fight with a cyclops that went on into the night which was brilliant. Then I made it to the city and finally worked out the mechanics of the game. It really has its hooks in me now. I'll be honest I haven't died too often, even starting to take out packs I bandits now (I'm at level 14 I think). To me it comes across as an easier demon/dark souls. I certainly don't have the same feeling of apprehension playing this.

Quick question, the pawns that appear in the rift, are they from your friends list?
  • shamblemonkee 29 Dec 2012 12:08:01 14,655 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i think it primarily draws from friends pawns aye
  • neilqpr 29 Dec 2012 12:12:15 2,865 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's what I assumed. Seeing as I imagine most people on my FL who've played this would be from here, thanks to whoever owns Haggrid and Abbi!

Waynetta the mage is available for weddings, bar mitzvahs and Orc slaying.
  • quadfather 29 Dec 2012 13:36:03 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Ah that's ok then, I've accepted a few quests off that guy.

Yeah I've been replacing my pawns as I level up. I do like a hard game, it's just that enemies take a lot of damage and fights can take a considerable amount of time (unlike in Dark Souls where they are dispatched fairly rapidly), and you come across a lot of enemies on your way to a quest marker.
    I get this too mate - it's an odd one - but I think MrHarvest is right - if I just run into a group of bandits and not pay attention, they'll absolutely butcher me. But if I approach it ala ornstein and smough, it's a much smoother ride

I must boot it up this weekend to see where the hell I am

• quadfather 29 Dec 2012 13:37:34 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    That's what I assumed. Seeing as I imagine most people on my FL who've played this would be from here, thanks to whoever owns Haggrid and Abbi!

Waynetta the mage is available for weddings, bar mitzvahs and Orc slaying.
    I'll keep my eye out for waynetta :) Feel free to borrow Uncle Vyrt for a 70's sorcerer companion. The 1970's, that is, not his level :p

• quadfather 29 Dec 2012 13:50:08 13,383 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Goodfella - yeah, I have to make sure that each character has at least 10-15, or even 20 curatives on them at all times.

Then, (as a ranged character) I start the fight first and whack the absolute shit out of them as quick as I can. Then they'll all come forward and it's fairly chaotic, (and fun) and it's around this time that I'll work out whether I need to run away and heal up, or whether I can keep going from companion to companion helping them, or pressing Help a lot so that they heal up.

Also, the environment helps. Standing on a big rock as an ranged character is hilarious :-)

• mrharvest 29 Dec 2012 16:39:30 5,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Also, the environment helps. Standing on a big rock as an ranged character is hilarious :-)
    Or alternatively kicking enemy archers off a big rock!

My best environment kill was when I managed to make a cyclops stumble off a cliff. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
  • EMarkM 29 Dec 2012 21:57:51 3,434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I do like this game the more I play but the travelling is still somewhat tedious. Is there a point when you can run for a lot longer before stamina runs out somehow?

It's the inconsistency that irks a little. I can sprint around like a loon all day in the city but as soon as I leave I'm restricted by a stamina bar.
    As I mentioned before, your stamina does increase as you level up. How quickly depends upon what class you are when you level up. Some players, observing that they are close to the level up event, actually change classes briefly to get the increase they want. Never bothered myself.

Currently level 45-ish, still a sorcerer, and about to face the dragon.
  • YenooR 29 Dec 2012 22:13:08 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just nearing the end on new game and still have to defeat the Ur dragon in order to get my platinum trophy.
  • Page

of 132 First / Last