Dragon's Dogma Page 89

• Page

of 132 First / Last

• mikeck 25 Jul 2012 14:44:46 1,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather I honestly don't know...I just picked Sorcerer as I wanted to have more destructive spells, but to be honest I only did it because it was recommended here by another poster. I can't actually tell which stats have been changed or anything o_O
  • jeb117 25 Jul 2012 15:17:25 91 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @quadfather I honestly don't know...I just picked Sorcerer as I wanted to have more destructive spells, but to be honest I only did it because it was recommended here by another poster. I can't actually tell which stats have been changed or anything o_O
    Think that was probably me singing the praises of sorc for being a magic archer. I think sorc gets 5 magic attack per level, mage gets 4, all other classes get 2 or 3. So it's only a small difference for each level, but it does add up. The real thing you want though is the later sorc augments. Especially acuity which they get at level 9 and which adds 20% to your magic attack. Even better it adds 20% magic attack to everything, not just to your base stat. So a magic bow with an attack of 200 for example will get boosted to 240, etc. The conservation and articulacy augments are great for magic archer as well.

Mage isn't so useful, but gets the attunement augment which is the same as acuity but only adds 10%. It does stack with acuity though so it's good to have both and get an extra 30% magic. Depends on what other augments you want to have...
  • Rodriguez 25 Jul 2012 15:19:57 1,083 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather

Hi quad, here are the level gain stat growth figures for the pure magic classes:

MAGE: Under LVL10 = HP-22 / Stam-20 / Atk-2 / Def-3 / Magic Atk-4 / Magic Def-3.
    MAGE: LVL 10+ = HP-21 / Stam-20 / Atk-2 / Def-1 / Magic Atk-4 / Magic Def-4.
    MAGE: LVL 100+ = HP-10 / Stam-10 / Atk-0 / Def-0 / Magic Atk-2 / Magic Def-2.

SORCERER: LVL10+ = HP-16 / Stam-15 / Atk-2 / Def-1 / Magic Atk-5 / Magic Def-5.
    SORCERER: LVL100+ = HP-10 / Stam-10 / Atk-0 / Def-0 / Magic Atk-3 / Magic Def-1.

As you can see, Sorcerer gets 1 point extra magic attack/defence gains than Mage from LVL10-100, but a Mage gets 5 extra points to stamina and HP per level from 10-100, so it's not too bad!
  • quadfather 25 Jul 2012 15:25:57 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right. With you. So I'll go mage until I get attunement, then swap to sorc to get acuity

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• jeb117 25 Jul 2012 15:26:46 91 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @mikeck - right, I've uploaded Vyrt again, so he should be available to you now. Though I released Dawgher last night, but he wasn't around to re-summon. Tried again this morning after resting at the inn again and he still wasn't around. Bah.

I'll try again later.

In other news, I've taken the plunge and I am now a mage! With a pointy stick and everything.

Someone (god bless em) gifted Vyrt with an awesome staff which is better than his 603 volant white one, so I've nicked the volant, and Vyrty is poncing around with his new stick. I'd thank the guy, but I can't find who it was who hired him.

So there's me as a level 1 mage, completely not used to it, Vyrty as a sorc that generally blows things up, and I've hired Yenrug's Strider and a random fighter to boost the melee.

Should be a completely different type of playing - quite looking forward to it :-)
    I think I sent Vyrt back with a dragons risen staff if that's the one. Had him wandering round with me for a while so it seemed a fair payment. Hopefully useful for his new job of making everything he comes across explode :)
  • quadfather 25 Jul 2012 15:27:07 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rodriguez - right, I see. Hm. Well I've done a lot of strider and ranger, so probably have enough hp and stamina for at least the time it'll take me to get my magic up with mage + sorc

• quadfather 25 Jul 2012 15:37:09 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jeb117 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @mikeck - right, I've uploaded Vyrt again, so he should be available to you now. Though I released Dawgher last night, but he wasn't around to re-summon. Tried again this morning after resting at the inn again and he still wasn't around. Bah.

I'll try again later.

In other news, I've taken the plunge and I am now a mage! With a pointy stick and everything.

Someone (god bless em) gifted Vyrt with an awesome staff which is better than his 603 volant white one, so I've nicked the volant, and Vyrty is poncing around with his new stick. I'd thank the guy, but I can't find who it was who hired him.

So there's me as a level 1 mage, completely not used to it, Vyrty as a sorc that generally blows things up, and I've hired Yenrug's Strider and a random fighter to boost the melee.

Should be a completely different type of playing - quite looking forward to it :-)
    I think I sent Vyrt back with a dragons risen staff if that's the one. Had him wandering round with me for a while so it seemed a fair payment. Hopefully useful for his new job of making everything he comes across explode :)
    That's the one! all intertwined and stuff? It's bleedin awesome - thanks very much! He's loving meteor's now!

• oldschoolsoviet 25 Jul 2012 15:39:40 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I rented this about six weeks ago, not played it yet. Still worth doing or have all the pawns or whatevs moved on, like, really?
    Probably just your cup of tea. Takes a wee while to get into, but you'll still find suitable pawns, surprised you've left it this long.

Given the abundance of scantily clad female pawns as an indication of folk's taste, it'll probably end up in one of your podcasts later asking "Why ? Just why ?". The customisation options are pretty comprehensive, yet I've only seen one Incredible Hulk, a Hulk Hogan homage, and an Avatar Na'vi. Creativity is sorely lacking when there's Silk Lingerie on offer !
  • Jazzassin 25 Jul 2012 15:53:51 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally got around to trying the Demo, and ended up ordering a copy right away.

Think it was originally the Edge review that put me off it. Made it sound pretty cack somehow.

Also a bit worried that most people might have moved on, have to see about that. Guess there's always computer-made pawns to choose from, only thing newcomers will miss is having your own pawn rented?

Oh and one question... if I plan to play an Assassin, would a fighter pawn work (figured he'd "take aggro" and maybe launch me up to get at those pesky flying monsters), or is a healing mage-thingy a better idea?
  • mikeck 25 Jul 2012 16:12:43 1,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @jeb117 Ah yes, it was you jeb - many thanks :)

I'm pretty sure I got acuity, if not, I'll have a quick vocation change and make sure I get it, as it sounds supremely useful :)
  • quadfather 25 Jul 2012 16:12:52 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Jazzassin - generally, you want a melee type in your party to absorb the heat, a mage to heal, and then whatever you like.

For example, I have a archery type char for myself, my main dude is a nuking sorcerer, then I hire a fighter and a mage to heal and given that's quite a diverse party, it works great.

The mage's healing is extremely useful, but you can always stack up on loads of healing items. Only bugbear being that you might be pausing a fair bit to heal up which takes some of the flow out.

The beauty of a mage in your party, is that it's effectively the party's healer, but he/she really isn't just limited to that. Mine used to nuke the shit out of everything and only heal when necessary, so you can view the mage as a ranged fighter that heals your party. Can't lose basically, which free's up your choice for the rest of the party.

Only thing that I'd say is definitely necessary is some kind of ranged attack. 4 fighters would kick arse, but it's a pain when faced with fast moving harpies in the air

I wouldn't worry about pawns - I've been playing for weeks, and the pawns on my friends list still range from 15 - 90, and it doesn't take long to level up, so I'd get stuck in :-)

• Jazzassin 25 Jul 2012 16:22:31 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I should have been more specific though... I get that you'll want both a "tank" and a "healer" in your group, but what I was wondering about is if there's an actual, significant difference in the AI of the Main pawn vs. a borrowed pawn, and if it's for that reason more important / useful to have a fighter or mage supporting me?

... or am I overthinking it?

Good point about the need for a ranged guy!
  • quadfather 25 Jul 2012 16:33:50 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Jazzassin - Ah right, I see what you mean.

As far as I know (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong), your pawn will act how you tell it to act. You can set the way it behaves when you create it, and you can tweak it in-game.

As for your support/borrowed pawns - they will act exactly how their owner has set them to act - but you can check what kind of player it is before you hire them.

So say you see a fighter available to hire when you're in the rift, but it has the Medicant trait - this means it's more of a protecting character, and probably won't be as effective as a tank as if say, you see one that has the "Challenger" trait.

There's a list somewhere that shows you all the traits so you can get your head around it a bit more.

Though saying that, all the pawns I've hired have generally been great and acted accordingly.

Except mine of course, who's just fucking random half the time :-)

Edit - and check the Gamertag/PSN Dragon's dogma thread - if you add people to your friends list, it's then free to hire their pawns, as opposed to random people's which cost an in-game currency

Feel free to add me if you're on psn - quaddy456

Edited by quadfather at 16:35:48 25-07-2012

• Jazzassin 25 Jul 2012 16:56:13 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Edit - and check the Gamertag/PSN Dragon's dogma thread - if you add people to your friends list, it's then free to hire their pawns, as opposed to random people's which cost an in-game currency

That I did not know, excellent!

Guess the best thing to do is to just start playing and see what works of course... I tend to restart RPGs a lot. Think I played Dark Souls and Skyrim both for about 50 hours on the first character before starting again from scratch.

Still time to peruse a Wiki though, hopefully the game will be in tomorrow's mail.
  • quadfather 25 Jul 2012 16:58:47 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup, I did the same - I started 3 times with the 3 accessible characters and decided on the Strider character. Once it's got you though, you'll be hooked :-)

Did the same on Dark souls too - I don't even know which characters do what now - I have to load each one up separately to check :-)

• mikeck 26 Jul 2012 11:09:54 1,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather I re-hired Uncle Vyrt, but had nothing better to give him than he already had so have sent him back without any new equipment I'm afraid.

I'm currently playing Sorc again to max out the vocation and buy the Acuity perk, then I'll switch back to Archer again and re-hire Vyrt, he's become a core pawn in my party :)
  • Murbal 26 Jul 2012 12:00:24 21,920 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started last night. Great stuff!

I've hired Bob and Sarah. What with my main character and pawn both being female too it's like the bloody Spice Girls out there!

My pawn, Hope, sounds like a man. Any way to rectify that?
  • jeb117 26 Jul 2012 12:39:09 91 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Murbal wrote:

I've hired Bob and Sarah. What with my main character and pawn both being female too it's like the bloody Spice Girls out there!

Have you got to gran soren yet? If you go to the barber shop there and choose the most expensive option then you can change your pawns voice (as well as hair, skin colour, scars, makeup, etc).

There's a female bandit camp who won't let you in unless you have an all female (or female looking...) party, so I guess that's a small bonus for your party. I had to dress my burly bearded male pawn in a dress before they'd speak to me. I'm not sure he's ever really forgiven me...
  • jeb117 26 Jul 2012 12:48:53 91 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jazzassin wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

That I did not know, excellent!

Guess the best thing to do is to just start playing and see what works of course... I tend to restart RPGs a lot. Think I played Dark Souls and Skyrim both for about 50 hours on the first character before starting again from scratch.

Still time to peruse a Wiki though, hopefully the game will be in tomorrow's mail.
    Yeah, just give it a go and see what style you like. It's similar to dark souls in that your starting class doesn't actually matter that much once you get into the game and you can be whatever you want. If you're into having perfect maxed out stats for a particular class then you can do that, but you can also be a jack of all trades and switch between classes using the same character. You won't be quite as effective as if you'd just stuck with one or two, but you can still easily level all of the different classes without being underpowered.
  • jeb117 26 Jul 2012 13:02:36 91 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    jeb117 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

I'll try again later.

That's the one! all intertwined and stuff? It's bleedin awesome - thanks very much! He's loving meteor's now!
    No worries, was going to give him a new robe as well but he seemed pretty well kitted out for armour. Good to hear he's having fun with sorc, it's pretty much endlessly fun watching your pawn take out half a bosses life bars with one well placed meteor shower or huge spike of ice :)
  • quadfather 26 Jul 2012 13:13:36 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @quadfather I re-hired Uncle Vyrt, but had nothing better to give him than he already had so have sent him back without any new equipment I'm afraid.

I'm currently playing Sorc again to max out the vocation and buy the Acuity perk, then I'll switch back to Archer again and re-hire Vyrt, he's become a core pawn in my party :)
    No problem, you've already donated enough! Glad to see Vyrt is getting used. Let me know your level progress and I'll try and match it so you can keep using him. It's a bit hit and miss for my playtime at the moment due to temporarily moving house.

I'm doing the same with my char too :-) Mage first then sorc then archer

• quadfather 26 Jul 2012 13:15:42 11,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jeb117 - Aye, someone (think it was Folant) gave Vyrt some abyssinal gear which I still can't afford to upgrade :-)

• 1Dgaf 26 Jul 2012 13:53:40 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this game still worth playing? Or have I missed the boat on pawns and whatnot.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• oldschoolsoviet 26 Jul 2012 14:15:29 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @1Dgaf

^ Dozy bugger. :D
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Jul 2012 13:19:44 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a heads up for anyone who has my pawn, Edmond:

He's retired.

;)
  • Progguitarist 28 Jul 2012 16:56:45 10,400 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did I read somewhere that you can create hybrid classes? What level do you have to be for that?
  • jeb117 28 Jul 2012 17:13:11 91 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Did I read somewhere that you can create hybrid classes? What level do you have to be for that?
    No particular level, you just have to get to the inn in gran soren where you can change vocation. Although only your character can use hybrid classes, your pawn can't use them.
  • Rodriguez 28 Jul 2012 17:26:43 1,083 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's only 3 hybrid classes: Mystic Knight, Magic Archer & Assassin.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jul 2012 17:35:32 14,387 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:

Get using Snoosnoo ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Rauha 29 Jul 2012 02:13:23 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

I have Edmond. He's kicking ass with Nightwing (thanks for the equipment, found them), and Victoria.

Btw, Edmond is awesome! Level 94 beast!
  • Page

of 132 First / Last