Dragon's Dogma

• Page

of 132 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 12 Apr 2011 16:06:48 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Capcom has announced its first open world game: Dragon's Dogma.

The Japanese company has assembled its largest ever development team to work on the new IP, and put Devil May Cry 4 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi and Devil May Cry 4 director Hideaki Itsuno at the helm.

Dragon's Dogma is being built using the latest version of the MT Framework game engine, which was used to power Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2. Development began two years ago. It launches for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

You play a hero who communicates with a mysterious dragon. It sends you on quests across the land as it teaches you new skills. Your ultimate quest, however, is to track the dragon down and kill it.

You're charged with taking down huge monsters with up to three "pawns" by your side. These pawns are recruited in cities and other heavily populated areas.

A special grab attack, which allows players to climb onto bosses, move around them and seek out weak spots, rekindles memories of Shadow of the Colossus.

At Capcom's Captivate event last week, press went hands-on with a boss fight against a huge griffin.
    - Front page EG

I am excite :D
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Apr 2011 16:20:41 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Video looks a bit pony, sadly. Everything seems a bit too fast and nothing appears to have any weight behind it. AI-controlled team also concerns, mostly because they're always fucking useless.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2011 17:04:23
    Sounds promising so far, the random guitar solo in the trailer is hilarious i hope they keep it in the soundtrack.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2011 18:30:39
    Posted a waffly reply in the comments section, but to sum up, given the company a lot of shit for the mistakes of the past few years but this looks really cool and I applaud Capcom for going in this direction.
  • pinebear 12 Apr 2011 18:46:18 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Guitar solo is amazing.

Hopefully the entire game is like that, intentional or not.

• Deleted user 12 April 2011 18:48:09
    Guitar solos done in a FF style victory style with air guitar animations at the end of missions would be sublime.
  • Rauha 12 Apr 2011 18:52:24 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    Guitar solos done in a FF style victory style with air guitar animations at the end of missions would be sublime.

No.

pinebear wrote:
    Guitar solo is amazing.

Hopefully the entire game is like that, intentional or not.

And no.

I will not allow either of you to turn this into Guitar Hero: Final Fantasy.

It is (and always will be) Demon's Souls with exta Monster Hunter testicles.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Apr 2011 19:16:03 5,457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only problem I have is after DA, TW2 and Skyrim, I'll be a bit sick of generic fantasy with added dragons.

Now, if it had been set in MH land.........
  • King_Edward 12 Apr 2011 19:51:26 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched the video on the front page. It looks a bit tasty to me.
  • Cappy 12 Apr 2011 20:40:23 11,831 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm... I don't know.

I'll file this one under maybe, the inevitable lack lustre port to the PS3 and/or comparisons to Devil May Cry in the combat system will probably downgrade it to avoid like the plague.
  • mrharvest 12 Apr 2011 20:56:27 5,184 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am interested.

Any idea why LP2 was so naff compared to LP1 though? Will they have learnt anything?
  • Rauha 12 Apr 2011 21:17:25 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some additional artwork: http://www.vandal.net/noticia/55340/capcom-anuncia-dragons-dogma-para-playstation-3-y-xbox-360/

Edit: Seems like its the same as EGs load.
  • Deleted user 12 April 2011 21:20:22
    Looks really interesting.
  • pinebear 12 Apr 2011 21:20:58 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rauha wrote:

Would you settle for White Knight Chronicles: The Story of Anvil instead?

• Rauha 12 Apr 2011 21:27:08 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Rauha 12 Apr 2011 21:40:10 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    pinebear wrote:
    Rauha wrote:

Would you settle for White Knight Chronicles: The Story of Anvil instead?

My body is ready.
  • YenooR 12 Apr 2011 22:13:54 529 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks good to me. I'l be keeping this on my radar.
  • Deleted user 13 April 2011 00:29:20
    Guitar Hero: Final Fantasy = FF13?

Mr Harvest wrote:
    I am interested.

Any idea why LP2 was so naff compared to LP1 though? Will they have learnt anything?

Looking back on it I think the issue with LP2 was they tried to appeal to (what are now) two totally different audiences, Japanese and Western at the same time and ended up with a halfway house that didn't suit either.

After the changes in the market and the mistakes of this generation, Dragon's Dogma is the most important game of the Capcom show because it looks to me a new approach Japanese developers are taking that should be welcomed.

Internal Japanese team at the company taking the same basic concepts of Japanese gaming (in this case of Monster Hunter) but developing the title separately. That suggests they have the creative freedom to focus on identifying what appeals to the West about the game and then trying to break out of their conventions and dogmas (badum) of the areas that are less appealing to us.

Which is much better than trying to take a Japanese series and second guessing what we like in an effort to make it more Western *cough* DmC. The problem with games like DmC and Ridge Racer: Unbounded etc is they come at the expense of the Japanese game some Westerners still enjoy.

But this way we still have Monster Hunter staying the way it is but also have a different game with another approach to the concept that could reach a wider audience here.
  • Xboxfanuk 13 Apr 2011 09:41:27 147 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Perhaps this is Capcom's way to bring Monster Hunter to the west properlly. To be honest I never paid much attention to Lost Planet, but might need to get it after seeing what Capcom is up to!

• oldschoolsoviet 13 Apr 2011 11:00:28 5,457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    I am interested.

Door's over there. Get out. :)
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Apr 2011 17:35:41 5,457 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bits and bobs at andriasang.
  • pinebear 26 Apr 2011 17:54:26 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xboxfanuk wrote:
    Perhaps this is Capcom's way to bring Monster Hunter to the west properlly. To be honest I never paid much attention to Lost Planet, but might need to get it after seeing what Capcom is up to!

They need to hurry up and start talking about multiplayer then. HURRY UP.

Maybe they're waiting for Xenoblade to get a release date before dealing the crushing blow.

• Hunam 26 Apr 2011 18:20:32 20,674 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I will literally kill for a HD Monster Hunter. Plus you wouldn't need dedicated servers etc on the PS3/360 and thus it would own.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2011 18:22:48
    I'm looking for 10,000 for a 10% share in my religion.
  • pinebear 26 Apr 2011 18:27:39 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in all my time as an international high-flying businessman who for some reason stoops to appearing on mid-week reality TV shows.

I'll give you 5k for a 51% share and 25% of annual earnings. Otherwise, I'm out.

• MatMan562 12 Feb 2012 16:36:50 2,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not sure if anyone would be interested in this but Capcom are doing a livestream of this game at 11am PT (7pm GMT if i'm not mistaken) here.

I've been interested in the game since it was announced and got to give it a try at Gamefest and was really impressed by it. If this livestream looks good then I will probably hold out for the game, otherwise I may end up buying KoA:R instead.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Lawrens 12 Feb 2012 22:50:43 398 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If anyone missed the stream, it's here:

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/308377887

Game looks fucking awesome
  • Lawrens 12 Feb 2012 22:55:34 398 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A few things:

- Climb bosses, rooftops, running on rooftops/platforming
    - Carrying npc/tossing them off rooftops
    - Open World
    - Different magic elements
    - Leveling system
    - Screenshot feature
    - Pawn sharing/customization
    - Different Classes (they've shown Fighter, mystic (or was it magic?) archer in the stream)
    - You could grab onto Harpy shown in the video and use it for your advantage
    - Enemy weakness system

Edited by Lawrens at 22:55:54 12-02-2012
  • Page

of 132 First / Last

Previous