Holiday destinations for couples

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Flightrisker 10 Apr 2011 20:24:01 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hello,

Looking to go away for a week and a half in the summer with the missus. Preferably in Europe, somewhere warm, not too touristy and with interesting things to do. Would prefer somewhere less package holidayish and more of a place with mountain trails, forests, maybe a lake? Chirst I'm sounding old.

Anyway, anyone been to anywhere a bit different than you typical big city/tourist trap beach resort they'd recommend?

Cheers
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Apr 2011 20:28:31 23,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just came back from a week in Majorca - steady now. It was just down the road from Shagaluf - I said steady!! - and it was a proper quiet little town, called Andratx. Was only the one hotel, we had a villa (gf's uncle owned it) and it was right on a little bay that you could clamber down to (there was a path from the the villa down) and swim in. We got a boat across to a little island off the coast called Dragonera (sp?) and there was lots of mountain trails, we took a nice hour and a half walk up to the very top. Was an old lighthouse where we had lunch before heading down again.

Was pretty much the opposite from the tourist beaches part of Majorca, was lovely and tranquil.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Flightrisker 10 Apr 2011 20:30:00 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds very nice man, thanks. I'll have a look into it for sure.
  • Flightrisker 10 Apr 2011 20:31:12 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers ecosse.

Might be worth mentioning I'm Irish but living in Amsterdam. Just in case anyone recommends Dublin or something :)
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Apr 2011 20:33:12 23,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Hello,

Looking to go away for a week and a half in the summer with the missus. Preferably in Europe, somewhere warm, not too touristy and with interesting things to do. Would prefer somewhere less package holidayish and more of a place with mountain trails, forests, maybe a lake? Chirst I'm sounding old.

Anyway, anyone been to anywhere a bit different than you typical big city/tourist trap beach resort they'd recommend?

Cheers

Switzerland (Lucerne, Ticino, Bernese Overland) or around Lake Maggiore and Lake Como in Italy

Lake Como is lovely, yeah. Good shout.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• CosmicFuzz 10 Apr 2011 20:38:57 23,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a lovely holiday in Crete a couple of years back. Lots of nice beaches, bays and trips/walks/etc. Wasn't too touristy, although I can't remember the part I was at.

• SaucyGeoff 10 Apr 2011 21:42:46 2,575 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lake Bled in Slovenia, on the edge of the Alps. Me and the GF had a great week there last year.

Much less built up than similar areas in Switzerland/Italy, so plenty of scope for actually getting out on the lake and was really quiet in early July.

Certainly ticks all the Lake/Mountains/Forest boxes.
  • BlackSentoki 11 Apr 2011 04:51:11 917 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Valencia in Spain is lovely and not too touristy, plus you can then travel a bit so you get cities and country. Can also recommend Bologna - had a wonderful long weekend there a few years ago and again you can travel around Italy as required (in my case realising that you've visited loads of the places in Assassins Creed II!).
  • Fab4 11 Apr 2011 07:45:00 6,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Northern Spain is lovely. Although you can't always guarantee the weather. Bilbao, through Santander and on to Oviedo, on the coast, and the mountainous area inland.
  • TheSaint 11 Apr 2011 09:39:24 14,317 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd echo what ecosse suggested, last year we wanted a holiday a bit closer to home and spent a couple of weeks travelling around Switzerland and northern Italy. Lucerene was one of our favourite places and it's really easy to get around the whole area and into Italy by train. We also stayed in Bellagio at Lake Como which was also awesome.
  • ModishNouns 11 Apr 2011 09:46:02 4,655 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a bit on the touristy side of your spectrum but we went to Skiathos for the first leg of our honeymoon in 2000. Very hot, beautiful blue sea and a really interesting little island to explore. We hired on of those little Suzuki jeeps and took it up around the twisty mountain trails. There are some lovely boat trips to secluded beaches and coves and there are few things more romantic than a bottle of wine on the beach in the evening.
  • Load_2.0 11 Apr 2011 10:19:24 19,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe a few days in Seville, I thought it was quite beautiful. Great little bars and restaraunts on old winding streets. Great in the evenings with families and people out eating late into the night.

More than a week might be a bit much though... maybe you could also spend a few days on the coast as well. Cądiz always looked nice, though I have never been.
  • kalel 11 Apr 2011 10:24:14 87,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know I'm always banging on about Turkey but if you go to the right places it's just wonderful, and so much cheaper than the likes of Italy (which is also lovely of course).
  • Tonka 11 Apr 2011 10:24:29 20,245 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Northern Italy
    Florence, Venice and Rome
    Good and cheap trains to take you between the spots. Fly with Ryan Air or Easy jet to Milan (spend an afternoon there and you've seen everything that's worth seeing)

Venice is pretty as hell but expensive. Stay one or two nights. Make sure to get up early one day (out on the streets at 8 shoud do it) and you will be able to negotiate a good price for a gondola ride.

Florence is my favourite by far. Very pretty, spectacular view from up the hillside. No less than three versions of the famous David statue. Go to Za'Za' for some insanely good florentine steaks. Not overly expensive either. Go to this square for a nice fleamarket (not sure which days though) and some amazing Italian ice cream (The Tiramisu one especially)
    Stroll over the golden bridge, roam the narrow streets. By stuff at the market yadda yadda yadda.

Stay here for a decent hotel with affordable prices. There was a guy at the desk who gave us directions to a pizzeria near by that had the best pizza I've ever eathen.

Rome is full of stuff to see. Read Angels and Demons for a run through of the most famous sites.

If you go to Switzerland I strongly recommend Montreaux. Especially during the Jazz festival. But book early at the only hostel in town... or pay a fortune.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Load_2.0 11 Apr 2011 10:25:55 19,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I know I'm always banging on about Turkey but if you go to the right places it's just wonderful, and so much cheaper than the likes of Italy (which is also lovely of course).

Yeah if he wants his wife to get RAPED!

There was thread on here that clearly stated that was what happened when you go to Turkey. Probably within minutes of getting out of the airport.
  • lucky_jim 11 Apr 2011 10:26:42 5,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eastern Europe is very underrated for this sort of thing imo.
  • kalel 11 Apr 2011 10:26:56 87,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's half of the fun of Turkey, or Rapeland as I like to call it.
  • Danbojones 11 Apr 2011 11:03:28 419 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SaucyGeoff wrote:
    Lake Bled in Slovenia, on the edge of the Alps. Me and the GF had a great week there last year.

Much less built up than similar areas in Switzerland/Italy, so plenty of scope for actually getting out on the lake and was really quiet in early July.

Certainly ticks all the Lake/Mountains/Forest boxes.

This, absolutely. Was there with my other half in August last year and it was beautiful. Not exactly thrilling night life but plenty to see in terms of countryside and culture. Accommodation is cheap, too.

Probably worth hiring a car for as things are fairly spread out, but the bus and train system is pretty good, trains especially. The train ride from Ljubljana is incredible.

Food is mixed, don't expect anything too fancy, but there are nice places in town. Garlic soup was a regular fixture.

Worth spending a night or two in Ljubljana too, actually. There are some awesome restaurants and jazz clubs and it's beautiful city generally. Nice folk.

• comradetony 11 Apr 2011 11:42:38 200 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Montenegro - get there before the tourists ruin it.

Estonia is also beautiful, whilst not being too expensive. I found Latvia to be a bit too Stag do oriented, personally.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2011 11:47:22 23,950 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Eastern Europe is very underrated for this sort of thing imo.

Getting raped?

Don't try and peddle your nonsense here! We've all seen the documentary narrated by Liam Neeson.

• kalel 11 Apr 2011 12:42:32 87,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not so sure about these ex-Yugoslavia recommendations. The area is a hotbed of war constantly on the brink of extreme violence.
  • kalel 11 Apr 2011 12:59:03 87,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know. Wait. Are you getting what I did there and aiding my point, or not getting what I did there?
  • fergal_oc 11 Apr 2011 13:36:31 2,763 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Madeira.

Beautiful place, lots of scenery, the food is gorgeous (fresh fruit/veg & fish).

The landing at the aiport is in fun, most of the runway is on stilts over the sea.

It's pretty much just a volcano, most of the roads are bridges over large cravenes, there's loads of tunnels to drive through and plenty to so. Not a beach holiday so a hire car is pretty much necessary.
  • billythekid 11 Apr 2011 13:42:27 11,111 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Malta.

Guaranteed sunshine, good food and a wealth of history to explore.
  • Fab4 11 Apr 2011 13:45:23 6,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Regarding Slovenia and war. You are probably more likely to see more violence at a Rangers/Celtic game (on the pitch).
  • FairgroundTown 11 Apr 2011 13:49:03 2,522 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BlackSentoki wrote:
    Valencia in Spain is lovely and not too touristy.
    Valencia is great for a long weekend, but not for a week in mid-summer, unless you plan to spend it at the beach... and even then, I wouldn't! (Having said that, I *will* be going there for 2 weeks this summer, but it is where Mrs FT grew up, so we have F&F there.)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous