GamesTM 108

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • spamdangled 9 Apr 2011 21:34:14 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cover story: Facing the Future - Epic's vision for the next generation unveiled

Previews

Batman: Arkham City
    Dead Island
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    LA Noire
    The Gunstringer
    Warhammer 40k - Space Marine
    Call of Juarez - The Cartel
    Child of Eden
    Trenched
    Alice: Madness Returns
    MX vs ATV: Alive
    The Last Guardian
    Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    Showcase

Reviews

Crysis 2 - 8/10 "Ambitious, fun and technically accomplished"
    Shift 2 Unleashed - 6/10 "Speed that noone needs"
    Pilotwings Resort - 6/10 "Mechanically sound but as empty as the sky itself"
    Okamiden - 8/10 "Once again, this beauty is a beast"
    Top Spin 4 - 7/10 "An improvement, but too realistic for its own good"
    TC's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - 8/10 "A turn-based triumph"
    Dynasty Warriors 7 - 5/10 "Back on safe, boring ground"
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 - 7/10 "The most significant, divisive Tiger for years"
    Torchlight - 8/10 "Lacking originality but polished to near-perfection"
    WWE Allstars - 7/10 "Simple yet solid, and a blast in multiplayer"
    Homefront - 7/10 "A shooter we actually want to see a sequel to"
    Puzzle Bobble Universe - 4/10 "Adds nothing to the format or the series"
    Asphalt 3D - 3/10 "A third-party hack job launch title"
    The Sims Medieval - 8/10 "Time to take King Biglet for a poo"
    Radiant Historia - 8/10 "A genuinely progressive JRPG"
    Playstation Move Heroes - 3/10 "Poor to the power of three"
    Ridge Racer 3D - 6/10 "We expect more from the long-running series"
    Dr Kawashima's Body and Brain Exercises - 4/10 "This prescription is misdiagnosed"
    Pixeljunk Shooter 2 - 9/10 "Earth, wind on fire"
    Lego Star Wars III - 8/10 "The most accomplished lego game so far"
    Gemini Rue - 8/10 "One man can make a good adventure game"
    Full House Poker - 5/10 "The gaming equivalent of a king-three off-suit"

Collector's Corner - Bible Adventures
    Retro Column - Howard Scott Warshaw reflects on videogames past
    Best Boss - Quake
    Complete History - 1978
    Conversion Catastrophe - S.T.U.N. Runner
    Retro Feature - Compilation Conundrom (the best and worst retro collections)
    Behind the Scenes - Guilty Gear
    10 most... - prolific game engines
    Developer Profile - Lionhead
    Developer Profile - Eden Games

Other Features

About A Girl - (article about Catherine)
    Lucid Dreams (feature about Lucid Studios, born from Bizarre)
    Pushing the Frontier (Interview with Egosoft and bringing the X series to console)
    Broken Wings (Article about El Shaddai: Ascent of the Metatron)
    Generation Games (the rise of family gaming)
    Lord of Chaos (Interview with Julian Gollop)
    Value Judgement (what effect is supermarket discount having on the perceived value of games?)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 9 Apr 2011 21:36:00 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The "next issue" clue is laid out like an old text adventure. Includes stuff about wearing a crown and accruing lots of gold. Maybe Fable 4, or the return of an old adventure franchise (Zork?).

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• King_Edward 9 Apr 2011 21:37:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's PJShooter 2 Shirley?
  • spamdangled 9 Apr 2011 21:38:32 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep - correcting now!

• morriss 9 Apr 2011 21:40:50 70,928 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good to see the Gemini Rue score.
  • spamdangled 9 Apr 2011 21:41:35 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm rather shocked that Egosoft are working on bringing the X series to the consoles. It seems so... wrong.

• spamdangled 9 Apr 2011 21:42:46 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, and if anyone's interested, the spine quote is "All right, Mr Demille, I'm Ready For My Close-Up"

• mcmothercruncher 9 Apr 2011 23:11:01 6,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tiger Woods scores a 7 and is the most significant version for years- that says a lot about the churn-a-thon that is that series.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2011 23:17:03
    So a gamesTM 8 is a 9?
  • Widge Moderator 9 Apr 2011 23:43:02 13,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jesus what's wrong with move heroes? No nothing about it.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Progguitarist 10 Apr 2011 00:11:00 10,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Homefront o_O
  • BAM! 10 Apr 2011 00:13:38 33 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:

It's shovelware.
  • spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 00:55:43 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BAM! wro?te:
    Widge wrote:

It's shovelware.

It's a collection of minigames made by the devs responsible for Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects.

Any more questions?

• spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 00:56:38 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Homefront o_O

Yeah I was surprised too. They cite "excellent" setpieces and "brilliant" fiction that is silly yet consistent.

• Widge Moderator 10 Apr 2011 01:14:55 13,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What, I thought it was meant to be a co-op platformer thing? OH WELL.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Progguitarist 10 Apr 2011 01:34:49 10,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Homefront o_O
    Yeah I was surprised too. They cite "excellent" setpieces and "brilliant" fiction that is silly yet consistent.
    I don't think there's even one decent set piece in the game let alone an "excellent" one. The multiplayer (when it works) is probably deserving of a 7 but the campaign is just dross.
  • spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 02:08:17 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /shrug

Maybe this is GamesTM doing an Edge and being deliberately contentious with a review? They seem to have a particular boner over a gunfight in a supermarket, which sounds like a gameshow waiting to happen. One thing to remember is that GamesTM always reviews singleplayer and multiplayer separately, so the review should be taken as being singleplayer only. I reckon next month will see the online review.

PS - Spelling errors ahoy in this issue, and a few invented words to boot ("interactable" springs to mind in the LA Noire preview - surely they mean "interactive")! Also a couple of minor errors that should have been picked up, like scheduling LA Noire for a release this month side-by-side with a full-age ad clearly stating it for 20th May.

• spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 02:19:15 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Most interesting bit from the Epic interview:

Q: What would the next generation of games consoles have to be built to run the sort of technology you've demoed with Samaritan?

A: We only need what Moore's Law will readily provide. Compared to current-gen consoles, I'd much like to see 8-12x more CPU performance, 10x higher GPU triangle and rasterizer throughput, and 20x more GPU computational throughput. With that degree of leap, I am confident we can ship next-generation games on par with the Samaritan real-time demo.

Q: What would be the impact on storage media? Are DVD or Blu-Ray big enough for the sorts of games that are coming?

A: Spinning mechanical media is truly an awful distribution scenario for gaming. Accessing a random piece of data takes up to a quarter-second, while NAND-based flash memory access times are measured in nanoseconds. Many of the limitations in current-gen games, from Gears of War to GTA, derive from the hardware's inability to load random-access data quickly. Given that optical drives are also expensive and don't cost-reduce over time, I'd expect mechanical media to play no role in future devices."

It seems a lot of devs are jumping on the "get rid of discs" bandwagon. If they're right (and I'm by no means a techy expert, but Epic turned out to be accurate with their predictions last gen, if memory serves), Sony may have made a misstep with putting so much money into blu-ray. So, in a way, we could find ourselves using modern-day cartridges.

• Psychotext 10 Apr 2011 02:31:06 53,931 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Paying for 50gb games on flash will be fun. That, or downloading them.
  • spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 02:35:19 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Paying for 50gb games on flash will be fun. That, or downloading them.

Heh, very true. Unless some uber-cheap proprietary format crops up. That said, flash memory seems to be dropping like a stone in price very fast. Who knows.

Was it MS who said that they think the future of distribution is through download? Perhaps some half and half combination could happen, with core files on flash memory with the rest on a streaming download as you play (this could make sense given the very low percentage of people who play beyond the first few levels of a game, and would also help to combat piracy).

/wild speculation.

• spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 03:08:41 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beemoh wrote:

I have a funny feeling that PC/PS3-like installs are more likely, though, short term.

I hope not; I don't want to wait 45 minutes after slipping a game in a console before playing. It's not too bad on PC, because you can do other stuff while installing.

Perhaps another solution, going down the download route, would be to flag a game you want to buy in advance so that it downloads before release day, then you slap down your cash to "unlock" the files?

Sort of a steam-on-consoles route. Then again, that leaves the problem of people who have yet to discover persistent internet connections.

• spamdangled 10 Apr 2011 03:10:47 27,276 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beemoh wrote:

For something as bitty and modular as a racing game, that might suit it better than something like a GTA where you can disguise certain loads in a more continuous game.

True, but then you just have stuff like the mission data, voice files etc from later missions download while you're playing the start. So the core files would contain the world geometry, the streaming would take care of all the other stuff beyond the first few missions. Going back to the whole PC thing, WoW (as an example off the top of my head) already does this now.

• BBIAJ 11 Apr 2011 16:13:57 895 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Found another made up word in the Top Spin 4 review, "...infinitively more satisfying...".

The review tagline, "An improvement, but too realistic for its own good", makes me think they're just a bit shitty at it.
  • lucky_jim 11 Apr 2011 16:22:57 5,282 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The quality of English used in GamesTM drives me up the wall. I see at least half a dozen examples of incorrect spelling/ syntax/ grammar in each issue, and that's leaving aside their taste for making words up (although I'm sure we can all agree that "embiggens" is a perfectly cromulant word).

Makes me wonder how come there isn't anyone, anyone at all, at the publishers with good enough written English to cast their eye over the copy and fix the mistakes. Hell, I'd do it for free games.
  • dancingrob 11 Apr 2011 16:26:23 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I suspect it's more a question of it generally being a smaller budget publication, meaning it probably doesn't have dedicated copyreaders / sub editors.

It's a reflection on the production values generally being rather lower than those on Edge, most obviously seen by the differening qualities of the covers (this months gamesTM one being particularly awful)
  • andytheadequate 11 Apr 2011 16:27:01 8,112 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I imagine its due to them not having enough time to proof read before having to send it off to the printers. I agree though, for a few free games a month I would proof read for them!
  • BBIAJ 11 Apr 2011 16:31:38 895 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed, there have been some classy gamesTM covers in the past, the shiny gold Zelda cover being a particular highlight, this one though, just looks fugly, especially when you consider that the faces in Yakuza 4's (FMV's admittedly, but using a higher res, higher poly version of the in-game engine), look a he'll of a lot better in my opinion.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous