of 1

Previous Next
  • NOSAVIOUR 8 Apr 2011 10:08:10 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm getting the...

lense
    Camera

I've done so much research for it in the last few weeks my heads going to explode so wondering if anyone here could help and recommend.

1. The best (at a good price) SD card so I can record good HD footage too as I will be using it for this alot.
    2. Good polarising filters for both standard and wide angle lense pref cheap (Not even sure which sizes I need!).
    3. The best places to buy kit and equipment from.

Thanks in advance.
  • Nth 8 Apr 2011 13:07:48 3,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Using a circular polariser on a wide lens like the 10-20 isn't advisable as you get a different affect across the image - other guys here might be able to help, maybe square slot in ones are suitable? Dunno.

Try warehouseexpress for pricing, and I always always use Sandisk cards, you'll probably need at least a class 6 or maybe even faster SDHC card for DSLR video - look on Amazon or mymemory.co.uk for good prices. Make sure you have at least 2 cards and using a card reader is faster and more convenient I find than plugging the actual camera in. A recent SD card reader should read SDHC cards OK, older ones won't though.

I'll be a good boy and won't say anything about Sigma's quality control department ;)
  • Nth 8 Apr 2011 13:10:06 3,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh and some people will say get UV filters for the lenses, others like me prefer lens hoods (get cheap copy ones from ebay).
  • NOSAVIOUR 8 Apr 2011 13:18:19 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for advice mate. Don't get me worried about Sigma now I thought I'd nailed the lense down I wanted!
  • Nth 8 Apr 2011 13:47:23 3,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Henro swears by it. I used to swear at it lol.
  • kalel 8 Apr 2011 13:49:47 84,047 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Filters wise it's much cheaper and generally better to get a Cokin (if you're poor) or Lee (if you're rich) set and then just buy different ring adapters for each lens, rather than a whole new set of filters for each lens, especially as screw-ins give you issues with vignetting and such.
  • henro_ben 8 Apr 2011 13:55:05 2,192 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't worry about the sigma, it'll be fine.

Polarizer - you will find that with an ultra wide lens it won't fully polarize across the image, as it's such a wide angle. It'll polarize in the centre and not at the edges - it's a fairly smooth transition though. Example here - removed the reflections on the water in the mid ground, but not in the foreground or the rhs.

If you're going to be using filters on different lenses then I suggest you get one of the square filter systems, rather than screw in filters. Cheapest option is cokin - the polarizer is ok (I still use mine), but the other filters can be a bit iffy quality-wise. However lots of people make filters that'll fit the cokin holder. You just need to get an adapter ring to fit your lens and the holder clips on.

Polarizer's aren't cheap btw - you need to get a circular polarizer for a digital camera, not a linear one. Price for the cokin one between 50 - 70 ish.
  • NOSAVIOUR 8 Apr 2011 14:42:29 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the advice guys has helped loads regarding filters. May hold back see how I get on then look to invest in a set.
  • Nth 8 Apr 2011 15:20:12 3,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One more thing, do you really need the 600D? Might be able to get a good deal on the 550D? Just a thought.
  • NOSAVIOUR 8 Apr 2011 15:31:54 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I want the swivel screen so it's easier to record low and high vid and pics from a standing position, plus numerous other small but significant to me features, one being the beginners guide and it being 30% bigger than the 550D for my big hands.
  • Nth 8 Apr 2011 15:49:27 3,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    30% bigger? Sure you're not thinking of the 60D?
  • NOSAVIOUR 8 Apr 2011 16:33:30 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep the 600D! Approx. 133 x 99.5 x 79.7mm as apposed to 128.8 x 97.3 x 62 mm and 40g heavier. Couple of sites have stated that as 30% bigger, i'm not doing the math. Have held both and prefer the size of it, but then again I'd prefer the size of the 60D or 7D.
  • Bremenacht 25 Sep 2012 19:06:45 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bump. Trying to help a relation pick a camera, even though I know relatively bugger-all myself. She's starting A-level photography. She was set on a 600D with whatever the standard lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), mainly because she's familiar with Canon (as am I, for compacts) and wants the swivelly screen.

I've suggested she go for a 650D, mainly because it has the latest processor (DIGIC5) and higher fps in burst mode (she likes motorsport). It costs roughly 100 more.

My question to anyone interested is: Is there any good reason why she shouldn't get either of those two cameras?

I've been looking at prices from this place:
    600D
    650D

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 27 Sep 2012 11:40:43 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One last bump before we go buy. Any useful advice welcome.

• Deleted user 27 September 2012 12:22:28
    Seems a bit over the top for A levels.
  • Bremenacht 27 Sep 2012 12:41:13 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is a bit, although the way I see it I'd rather she got something to this spec (and price) rather than something that's cheaper that'll seem underspecced if she gets into it. She's been after something with good fps for motorsport anyway.

• superdelphinus 27 Sep 2012 12:51:49 7,281 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a 600d and would echo the qs re 550d. How much do you really want a swivel screen etc, 650d do you want autofocus in video
  • Bremenacht 27 Sep 2012 13:18:11 15,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She's absurdly set on a swivel screen. I lent her my old swivel-screened Canon compact (A620) a while back and that seems to have done it.

Video isn't so important right now, but will be. I've tried to see this from her p.o.v, so whereas touchscreen means little to me, it could be perfect for a smartphone-savvy teen.

Prices I've looked at for a 550d are about 40ish cheaper than a 600d - when in stock. She'd happily pay that for the screen.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next