Spec ops: The Line Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Rusty_M 22 Dec 2012 14:09:00 4,579 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lexx, you just moved me a step closer to getting this (next time it's dirt cheap)

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Syrette 31 Dec 2012 14:48:54 43,104 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *That* scene (and what happens just before it with the killing via white phosphorus) is one of the most memorable, upsetting, guilt-creating, sombre moments in any game I've ever played.

I think I actually sat open-mouthed for a while.

Like The Walking Dead, it's refreshing to play as someone who isn't an all-American hero. You're actually flawed men with good intentions who've done bad things.

• Syrette 31 Dec 2012 14:50:00 43,104 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That said, as much as I loved the plot, I'm not going to pretend that gameplay-wise it was anything more than average.

Edited by Syrette at 14:50:12 31-12-2012

• FogHeart 3 Jan 2013 21:21:08 944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bought this soon after launch, played it up until the WP* moment. Tried to get through the hard way, to find the snipers respawned until I was out of ammo, so I assume that's infinite. So I stopped playing, in mild disgust I suppose, and only came back to it today. This time I paid attention to the cutscene leading up to the action:

Lugo:"There's always a choice!"
    Walker: "No, there really isn't."

Alright, hint taken. It's WP or nothing. So moments later I'm walking through the scene of the mass murder of civilians I'd carried out and thought, was there a choice here - can I target just the enemy. So I reload and this time I pay attention to what I'm doing during the mortar assault and find there's a final vehicle above the civvies which will kill you unless you bomb it, and that will kill all the civvies under it. So, again no choice.

Then a bit later I'm given a Sophie's choice. This time the conversation between the men relates that the team should be walking away from all of this, but somehow they're still here.

OK, I get it now. The game will continue to make me choose between evil acts to move forward and then rub my nose in it. As the team implied, the only other choice is to go back - which for the player amounts to stopping playing. Well that's what I did. Again, I suspect just for now. I'll resume it in a few days, when I'm suitably at ease with the idea that the game will never present me with the sensible choice that a well-trained soldier would take - get out of there, report the situation to your superiors, don't have the hubris to believe you can or should solve it yourself.

It's just a game, war may be Hell but that's not because it's fought by demons.

*WP=White Phosphorus

Edited by FogHeart at 21:22:00 03-01-2013

Edited by FogHeart at 21:22:43 03-01-2013
  • Derblington 3 Jan 2013 21:34:53 21,309 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You never know, something might happen before the end of the game that could explain the issue you have with the half-played title...
  • King_Edward 3 Jan 2013 21:36:14 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At the risk ruining the twist, you really have finish the game before you can know what it's doing.
  • LionheartDJH 3 Jan 2013 21:36:49 19,359 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    I'll resume it in a few days, when I'm suitably at ease with the idea that the game will never present me with the sensible choice that a well-trained soldier would take - get out of there, report the situation to your superiors, don't have the hubris to believe you can or should solve it yourself.
    Surely you've realised by now that what started out as a military operation has turned into a personal crusade/vendetta; Walker can't let go. You'll see how deep the rabbit hole goes as you progress further...

Keep playing, it's a great experience and not overly long.

She dives for cheese pasties

• CosmicFuzz 3 Jan 2013 21:46:50 23,245 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a great surprise of a game, wonderful game.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• ram 3 Jan 2013 22:04:43 3,471 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a good shooter but not much more than that. It implies you have a choice but really you don't. And it also implies you should feel bad about killing. I managed to get all the weapon achievements in one play through, which means me and my team must have racked up a body count of 500+.

Wasn't it Stalin who said one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic? That's how I feel about this game. Once you've killed your way across Dubai it's hard to care about one or two soldiers or civilians.

If there was a bit of restraint then I might have felt some sort of guilt or attachment, but when you are nailing wave after wave of soldier then that goes out the window.
  • dsmx 3 Jan 2013 22:06:17 7,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spec ops made me realise how many reviewers don't ever finish a game before reviewing it.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• King_Edward 3 Jan 2013 22:15:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's a game that really, really needed making.
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Jan 2013 22:39:01 5,164 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's really quite clever for a game. Admittedly, the bar is not particularly high, but it works in ways that other games fail miserably at (Far Cry 3).
  • MrWonderstuff 4 Jan 2013 00:54:02 1,922 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting comments. Just started this and so far it's not really holding my attention. Clearly this picks up but lordy it feels generic.
  • Oh-Bollox 4 Jan 2013 01:11:50 5,164 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Early on, it is, and I think that is intentional.
  • dsmx 4 Jan 2013 02:02:25 7,563 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is completely intentional and it becomes more and more apparent why as you go through the game. Hence my comment about reviewers not finishing games.

Edited by dsmx at 02:02:51 04-01-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Luke_Martin_VA 6 Jan 2013 11:17:24 160 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Voxel Arcade attempt at unravelling the mystery of Dubai

http://voxelarcade.com/reviews/hindsight-spec-ops-the-line-review/

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• creepylizard 6 Jan 2013 11:41:40 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, you can't go wrong when a game throws a bit of post-rock at you now and then. I think that must be a first..
  • RedSparrows 6 Jan 2013 12:12:01 22,061 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Which pieces?
  • Scurrminator 7 Jan 2013 09:16:59 8,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sorry but this game was just really shit.
    The 'twist' ending (the story is awful compared to other media as usual) can be seen coming a mile off; in fact I thought it would be more complex that it turned out to be.
    And a twist ending doesn't suddenly make the previous seven hour slog through generic gameplay suddenly become amazing.
    Yahtzee must be going for troll of the year to name this game of 2012.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Weebleboy 7 Jan 2013 09:53:43 367 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    'shit', 'story is awful compared to other media', 'seven hour slog'. Yup, Yahtzee is the troll here.
  • Scurrminator 7 Jan 2013 10:36:11 8,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Journey was a million times better than this if we're talking game of the year stuff.
    I'm not alone in thinking the gameplay was a bit naff except that some people here seem to think that the ending makes that okay?

• Oh-Bollox 7 Jan 2013 10:39:53 5,164 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not the ending, it's the whole thing.

I thought the gameplay was solid, competent stuff.
  • Scurrminator 7 Jan 2013 10:56:59 8,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The gun sounds were awful (i find this to be super important in shooters)
    the cover system was dire.
    the companion AI was awful (constantly standing out in the open and getting downed).
    No dodge move was sorely missed (getting away from grenades was a matter of luck really).
    They went on about choices and then took away the choice for the WP moment when other similar situations gave you a 'good' way through.

I think it was just a bit over hyped for me. The ending was far more simplistic than i thought it would be (especially with some of the fourth wall comments that were being made).

• MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jan 2013 11:02:18 37,364 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So which ending did you guys get? I'm of the understanding there's about 4...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• the_dudefather 7 Jan 2013 11:18:59 9,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can get:

-Shoot yourself ending
    -Don't shoot yourself and...
    -Get taken away
    -Kill the soldiers who come to rescue you

Think there might be one for getting killed by them too...

I Killed myself

Edited by the_dudefather at 11:20:09 07-01-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Oh-Bollox 7 Jan 2013 11:41:36 5,164 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    The gun sounds were awful (i find this to be super important in shooters)
    the cover system was dire.
    the companion AI was awful (constantly standing out in the open and getting downed).
    No dodge move was sorely missed (getting away from grenades was a matter of luck really).
    They went on about choices and then took away the choice for the WP moment when other similar situations gave you a 'good' way through.

I think it was just a bit over hyped for me. The ending was far more simplistic than i thought it would be (especially with some of the fourth wall comments that were being made).
    The weapon sounds were good. Particularly the M4 with the suppressor on it, which I sometimes chose when other weapons would have been better solely to hear it, it was downright addictive to fire.

The cover system was fine. My only gripe was exiting it when crouched made you stand.

The companion AI was nothing extraordinary, but I didn't find it to be obstructive or constantly getting downed. Perhaps you were playing on a harder difficulty level than I?

I don't think there were really many 'good' outcomes, from some of the very first choices in the game (e.g. rescue the civilians or the CIA bloke, whichever you choose it all comes out shite it's trying to point out to you that you can't have war without unintended consequences and horrific outcomes which you have no way to forsee and therefore no way to avoid. In other games, it's within your control not to harm civilians, to rescue the hostage in time. You are an all-powerful killer. In this game, it isn't, because you aren't. The entire adventure is a mistake.

I can't recommend Brendan Keogh's book, Killing is Harmless, enough, but if you didn't enjoy the game, chances of you enjoying a thoughtful dissection of it is probably nil. :-(

Edited by Oh-Bollox at 11:41:59 07-01-2013
  • Scurrminator 7 Jan 2013 12:14:57 8,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I'm being more harsh on it because it was bigged up.
    I was playing to get to the amaze balls ending and when i got there it was just a 'is that it'? kind of feeling.

• Page

of 8 First / Last