Spec ops: The Line Page 2

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Anthony_UK 29 Jun 2012 16:23:24 2,459 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 you sod's have made me just buy this!

Though, I don't mind supporting a game if it actuality does something different story wise.
  • stryker1121 29 Jun 2012 17:28:31 664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Reading tons of good stuff about this one in terms of story and the unique setting. Nice to have a game sneak up on you now and again.
  • repairmanjack 30 Jun 2012 03:11:52 5,987 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alright, calling it on the multiplayer.

It's fucking awful.
  • saintedd 30 Jun 2012 08:11:16 288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got it yesterday and not touch SP yet the MP mode is pretty decent some small issues on it but not enough to put you off. Pretty much a socom type game online maps are decent size and layout and the 4v4 works well for it.
  • Reacher 30 Jun 2012 08:48:32 687 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got it the other day, but having just come off the back of finishing Max Payne 3 and Mafia 2 back to back, taking a break from shooters. Did seem decent though.
  • Ultrasoundwave 30 Jun 2012 18:38:37 3,264 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Done the first two chapters and very impressed - graphically lovely, solid gameplay, good weapons and quality voice-acting.

The vulnerability of the enemies is also a welcome development - its almost as if it only takes a few bullets to kill someone or something!

Anyway, very impressed and looking forward to more of it!

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• griff_dai 30 Jun 2012 18:41:00 410 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played through to Chapter 5, quality SP and the soundtrack is brilliant.......

MP though, hmmmmmmm dunno if I like it or not
  • LionheartDJH 30 Jun 2012 18:47:57 19,359 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Same here Ultra, think I'm about halfway through now and loving it. The setting and story are fantastic and the atmosphere and music are fab too. Gunplay is simple but satisfying and entertaining. Hope it doesn't end too soon!

She dives for cheese pasties

• barchetta 30 Jun 2012 20:53:17 1,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As much as I'm against trading in my games, I saw Game offering this for 99p against Skyrim, Witcher2 and a number of others. I know deep down that I'll never finish either of those but the single player campaign of this might fit with my time starved gaming options and scratch a shooty-game itch I'm getting with all the Halo4 coverage at the moment. Intruiged with the praise for the story telling too.
  • Anthony_UK 30 Jun 2012 22:39:56 2,459 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About 13 chapters in and I'm guessing I'm nearing the end. So far it's I've loved pretty much every second and I'm still unsure just how it will end. The story really does make this game I must say.

Mechanics wise it's enjoyable and solid enough with the vulnerability of both the enemies and your character being a major plus point for me personally. It's actually surprising how such a small change does to the feel of the game. The cover system while a little clunky isnt an issue during single player mainly due to the level design and overall pace to the game.

I will say the multiplayer isn't up to scratch though, which is a shame. The cover system is just a little too clunky to work in a multiplayer enviroment i feel. But its this combined with fairly slow movement of your player and levels that seem to have more killzones and lines of sight to your player than you can realisticlly cover, which for my admitidly brief try just made it an excersise in frustrstion.

Whats especically dissapointing is that I took part in the multiplayer beta for this, which must have been nearly 2 years ago now and all the problems that made the beta a ghost town (namely what i mentioned above) remain there unchanged, with the only noticable difference being a visual lick of spit
    and polish......with the time they really could have made this something special.

Overall i'm glad I picked this one up, while the likes of gears of war and even the recent ghost recon might best it on actual 3rd person shooter mechanics, it will be this game i'll be remember long after they've been forgotten from a single player perspective, top stuff! I just think its a shame that due to the nature of the story and setting that it will be quite difficult for them to recreate all that makes this game special in any potential sequel.
  • Anthony_UK 1 Jul 2012 02:55:45 2,459 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Single player compete, thats what i call an ending!

Multiplayer may be a dissapointment, but I wont be complaining after that. All the folks at Yager should be very proud of themselves and qudos to whoever helped get this out of development hell and into stores.
  • repairmanjack 1 Jul 2012 16:19:18 5,987 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Took my time with the SP but this first playthrough has ended at five hours, twenty minutes. But what a fantastic campaign it's been. Loved it - and the ending is such a great pay off. Made a few bad decisions - done something that I have always avoided doing before in shooters, and felt rotten about it.

Already restarted to see what my other choices would have wrought.

Excellent stuff.
  • Vortex808 1 Jul 2012 20:00:24 6,937 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    5.5hours is quite reasonable for a limited gaming time person like. Easy to finish it in a weekend if it's like that.

I'm going to be buying this very soon I think. It'd be nice to play a shooter with a slightly different take. Although I still haven't started binary domain yet!
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2012 20:02:42 14,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Vortex808

It does look good mate, once I pop Spider-man back to lovefilm I should get this pdq.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• StarchildHypocrethes 1 Jul 2012 20:08:04 25,406 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Binary Domain is a more interesting shooter than this, so I'd play through that first.

The story in this is no where near as dramatically affecting as a lot of the reviews would have you believe. It's ok, just not great. The first half was dull. Chapter 8 got a bit more interesting. Then it got a bit dull again. Up to Chapter 13 and it's beginning to really drag. The combat scenarios aren't interesting at all, it just throws ever increasing numbers at you. Trying to slog through though, as I'd like to see the end, which I suppose means it's doing something right.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Jul 2012 20:13:27 25,406 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will commend the voice work though.

Angry Nathan Drake is very good and the rest do a good job of sounding increasingly stressed/unhinged as the game moves on.
  • LionheartDJH 1 Jul 2012 20:24:28 19,359 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I didn't realise it was him at first, certainly sounds quite different from his Drake voice.

Shame you've found it dull, I finished it last night and thought it was fantastic. Enjoyed pretty much every minute and thought the story, setting and music were all top notch. I'm quite the fan of tactical shooters/TPS games and while I'll agree the gameplay itself doesn't really do much different from others in the genre it was still very fun to play and the story was a great experience.

@Anthony_UK, yep definitely, they've done a great job making something a bit creative and original in a saturated genre.

• Ultrasoundwave 5 Jul 2012 09:34:28 3,264 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finished this last night.

Wow. What a game. The game starts brilliantly, the setting of Dubai is unique and beautiful and the shooting mechanics are very solid.

There is a small lull in the middle, but as soon as the game hits chapter 8 it goes into AAA territory in my opinion. Everything starts to go to shit for our heroes and the game takes a turn that most videogames (and movies) wouldnt dare go down.

I love the fact that, even though these three guys start as your typical gun-firing, hootin' and hollering American soldiers, they slowly develop into proper soldiers who are psychologically affected by their actions.

It was nice for a game like this to actually give you some small (but significant) choices related to the main character - choosing to shoot Riggs or let him burn (i let the fucker burn) and choosing which prisoner to shoot - both of which make this game stand out from the rest.

Another small decision i liked was to actually show physical damage to the main characters too. Normally the heroes in games get shot at and blown up with barely a scratch to show for it. I thought it was a nice touch that the main guy gets half his face burnt off, in a strange way!

As far as the ending is concerned, i thought it was brilliantly done. the final showdown with Konrad, where all the secrets of the game are revealed. I was quite happy (in a strange way) that i decided that Walker would kill himself - after all the atrocities he's committed throughout the game (killing the innocents with white phosphorous) and the fact that his actions led to the death of both his colleagues, i wouldnt have thought he would be able to live with the guilt of that.

At one point early on in this game, around chapter 6 or 7 i guess, this was heading straight towards a solid 6/7 out of 10 score. However, with its superior story, unique setting and fantastic ending, it gets bumped up to : 9/10

HIGHLY recommended.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 09:36:18 05-07-2012

• Ultrasoundwave 5 Jul 2012 09:35:53 3,264 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted

• monkehhh 5 Jul 2012 10:09:36 3,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Took me a fair bit longer to get through something like this compared to something like Syndicate - this is also really tough (for me), had to drop the difficulty down at one section like a little girl :( (think I'm up to about chapter 7)

Edited by monkehhh at 10:12:56 05-07-2012
  • Anthony_UK 5 Jul 2012 12:07:58 2,459 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres actually multiple endings, 4 I believe.... If you've finished the game and like myself you were none the wiser I'd suggest wikipedia which lists how to get them.

If your still on your first run through, wait until you've finished the game at least once before you take a look.
  • LionheartDJH 5 Jul 2012 14:11:32 19,359 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave, agree with all your points, I'd score it a 9 too. Like tactical shooters and TPS games but the story, setting and atmosphere of this really stood out and made this a fantastic experience.

Also there is a third option with the prisoners if you didn't know: I chose to shoot the guards, they then shoot both prisoners for you before starting to shoot you.

@Anthony_UK, thanks for the tip, will be doing a second playthrough soon so will definitely have a look at the different options.

• monkehhh 5 Jul 2012 19:51:03 3,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pushed through and finished it today (two games in two days, madness for me) - not entirely sure what happened but that's probably the point with the path I chose :) Some great soundtrack moments and some stuff I wouldn't expect to see in a 'AAA' shooter, interested to see what Yager do next.
  • Kokapetl 7 Jul 2012 01:25:07 865 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished this one. Started at about 6.30pm and have a just played it through in one sitting.

Really enjoyed it. The shooting is competent, the cover system not so much (I was still having issues with it by the end of the game), but that doesn't detract from an excellent setting, enthralling plot and fantastic sound track (shooting your way through a horde of enemies whilst listening to Glasgow Mega Snake by Mogwi, is a fantastic feeling).

I rented it and would easily recommend that people do the same. Unfortunately, I'd have felt a little hard done by had I paid full price.

7.5/10 :-)

Xbox Live/PS3/Steam - Kokapetl
    3DS - 0903-2865-7239 - Face

• richardiox 7 Jul 2012 01:31:28 5,535 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished in ten mins ago myself. A very solid 8/10 and I really enjoyed the twist at the end. Glad it ended in a narrative beat rather than an EPIC FINAL BATTLE.

Doubt I'll replay so gonna trade it in tnrw whilst it's still got some value
  • monkehhh 7 Jul 2012 01:37:49 3,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Kokapetl Was that the indoor water arena place? Some great soundtrack moments, wish they'd been able to link it in more.
  • monkehhh 7 Jul 2012 01:38:01 3,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • monkehhh 7 Jul 2012 01:38:23 3,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Jul 2012 14:27:10 14,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spec Ops-The Line
    Version: 360
    Skl: "we were soldiers" aka normal
    Hours to complete: under 5!

Really enjoyed, over a bit quick, in fact very quickly. Loved the bonkers storyline. The squad commands worked very well, and you could let them do a good bit of fighting for/with you ;)I did get stuck on cover a few times and the cover system is not as good as Gears (...what is ?)but it certainly does a job
    Great guns with good variations , not so great explosions. The environmental kills are stunning at times.

Good cheveo's as well, with just a bit of farming towards the end I got 880 (46/50) it has already been sent back to lovefilm so it will remain thus, 2 day turnaround for a game, not bad at all.

I Will post in Spec Ops+Game completion threads.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 8 First / Last