Spec ops: The Line Page 5

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Oh-Bollox 7 Jan 2013 13:19:22 5,326 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In that respect I was lucky, because I heard bot all about the ending (TBF I wasn't particularly listening for info about it, I remember the pre-release stuff turned me off the game. The game and the dev's aims for it sounded totally at odds with each other).
  • dsmx 7 Jan 2013 13:20:33 7,648 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's kind of the point though.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Vortex808 13 Jan 2013 21:46:56 7,293 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm dying quite a bit just now, but it's soundtracked by mogwai, so i don't mind so much! :)
  • Lexx87 13 Jan 2013 21:53:13 20,863 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Soundtrack is best thing about that game.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Fixxxer 13 Jan 2013 22:17:27 1,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    The gun sounds were awful
    That you list this as a complaint shows you're exactly the type of person this game was designed for. Your complaint isn't that you butchered 100's of people but rather that you want a more bombastic sound on your killing machine?

(edit - my god that sounds haughty, sorry. but this game is almost literally beyond criticism for me in that I will ascribe every 'sub-par' aspect as an intentional plot device. generic shooter? there's a reason for that)

I completed this yesterday and thought it was terrific. It probably helps that I read lots of story breakdowns since then though. Yahtzee's review was spot on for me.

Edited by Fixxxer at 22:22:09 13-01-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jan 2013 22:19:09 14,966 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Vortex808
    Hi mate
    Have you enjoyed it ? I really liked the game.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Vortex808 13 Jan 2013 23:18:46 7,293 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Soundtrack is best thing about that game.
    The soundtrack was indeed brilliant! Hit the mood very well and hearing Mogwai was my personal highpoint, since I love them. Even if they are partly to blame for slight hearing loss attending their gigs.

Duffman, I did indeed enjoy it, even if the 'press B to mantle' was counter-intuitive to my 'press A to climb over shit' programming from gears. It was a bit clunky, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. Certainly enough to view all the endings, which they made quite simple thankfully.

Now I just need to decide if I should play Skyrim, Binary Domain or Halo Anniversary next to reduce the unplayed games pile some more. :)
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2013 23:30:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BD is quite short. Easy to get out of the way...and fucking awesome.
  • Vortex808 13 Jan 2013 23:36:34 7,293 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    BD is quite short. Easy to get out of the way...and fucking awesome.
    I wasn't going to buy it originally, but ended up buying it after reading the EG review. The shame of not even thinkin about playing it until now is large.

How long would you say it takes? I normally only get a few hours at a time in the weekend evnings. Could I easily finish it in a single weekend?

Edited by Vortex808 at 23:36:56 13-01-2013

Edited by Vortex808 at 23:37:13 13-01-2013
  • King_Edward 13 Jan 2013 23:49:44 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    8 hours maybe.
  • mcmothercruncher 4 Feb 2013 15:06:07 7,213 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, I bought this as a cheapie at the weekend and, at chapter 5' I'm really struggling to see what all the fuss is about.
    Terrible clunky gunplay, crude AI that I've regularly seen frozen on the spot, smeary Vaseline graphics, strange sound mix that blares the music out drenched in reverb but leaves your gun sounding a bit hollow.

I'm sure the end could be amazing and really get me thinking, that's why I bought it, but I'm not sure I want to wade through all the generic-ness to find out. If the cookie cutter stuff is supposed to make some sort of comment on games today (a comment I'd no doubt agree with) then how could delivering that comment via the very same approach be valid?
  • Humperfunk 4 Feb 2013 15:10:21 2,287 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Completed this last week, final playtime on normal difficulty was 4 hours 23 minutes. Short game. Loved absolutely every second of it though, spent another hour getting the rest of the trophies bar the difficulty ones.

Sensational, Jeff!

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• dsmx 4 Feb 2013 15:41:43 7,648 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again it has to be repeated you need to finish the game to understand why the game is designed the way it is, trust me on this one finish the game.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Scurrminator 4 Feb 2013 16:42:01 8,437 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fixxxer wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    The gun sounds were awful
    That you list this as a complaint shows you're exactly the type of person this game was designed for. Your complaint isn't that you butchered 100's of people but rather that you want a more bombastic sound on your killing machine?

(edit - my god that sounds haughty, sorry. but this game is almost literally beyond criticism for me in that I will ascribe every 'sub-par' aspect as an intentional plot device. generic shooter? there's a reason for that)

I completed this yesterday and thought it was terrific. It probably helps that I read lots of story breakdowns since then though. Yahtzee's review was spot on for me.
    It's a game about shooting people...with pea shooters from the sounds of it.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Oh-Bollox 4 Feb 2013 16:43:08 5,326 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I'm sure the end could be amazing and really get me thinking, that's why I bought it, but I'm not sure I want to wade through all the generic-ness to find out. If the cookie cutter stuff is supposed to make some sort of comment on games today (a comment I'd no doubt agree with) then how could delivering that comment via the very same approach be valid?
    I felt the same way pre-release and for a big chunk of my first play-through. It's not so much the ending alone and in isolation, but the game as a whole.

You can argue that it does undermine itself, certainly in some respects I'm sure it does, but it's best to leave that judgement until you finish it.
  • mcmothercruncher 4 Feb 2013 16:59:36 7,213 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool, I'll plough on and see what's occurin'.
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Feb 2013 20:07:22 7,213 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I'm one chapter from the end and I can see why you all thought it was worth playing. I love the way the soldiers got more grizzled and ever more corrupted and how that was reflected visually and audibly. I found the helicopter exit with the mini gun particularly hollow and gratuitous- a marked difference to how game developers would normally expect players to feel in a sequence like that, impressive stuff.
    However, I hated just about everything else about the damn thing. Atrocious, clunky, hit and miss controls, average graphics and audio. Playing in order to see what unfolded was a chore and I'd normally have given up, yet I wanted to see where it went, most bizarre. Glad I played, also glad to be ebaying it soon ;)
  • themightydux 7 Feb 2013 16:34:42 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone tempted should just play through on easy to experience the story.
  • itinkuravinalaff 16 Feb 2013 12:04:50 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Enjoying the campagn, tried multiplayer ,:| O Dear! Terrible.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 12:18:43 592 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i bought this after reading all the positive reviews and on the promise that it was more cerebral then your average shooter. underwhelmed is how i felt throughout the play through. perhaps my high expectations coloured my judgement but i wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

i didn't even have the crutch of MP to fall back on. landmine leapfrog is more playable then that.
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 12:29:49
    Played to demo last night, very average gameplay but the story and environment was enough to convince me. Will buy sometime, dirt cheap everywhere. Would get now but got crysis 3 and tomb raider to rent.
  • itinkuravinalaff 16 Feb 2013 13:35:28 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got it for 12 at cex and will trade back for 8 when finished.
  • Oh-Bollox 16 Feb 2013 13:57:14 5,326 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The MP was done by a separate developer. Yager were disgusted by it.
  • Rusty_M 16 Feb 2013 14:03:38 4,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I paid about 4 for it. I felt a bit of a cheat as I got a fair amount of enjoyment from it. It's not bad at all, and has great atmosphere at times. The soundtrack is pretty cool.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• dsmx 16 Feb 2013 19:23:31 7,648 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who said it was a cerebral shooter? It's never going to be that it's more about the story than anything, the gameplay is intentionally generic because it ties into why the story plays out as it does.

Edited by dsmx at 19:26:41 16-02-2013

• Dougs 16 Feb 2013 19:30:56 68,382 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started it the other day, it's pretty generic but I'm liking the atmosphere and setting. Yet to be completely hooked by the story, but only at the end of chapter 4.
  • dsmx 16 Feb 2013 21:00:41 7,648 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The story is a bit of a weird one and it probably won't hook you in, however it's how the story unfolds on you that is the important thing and it's a story that needed to be told. You'll see what I mean as you get further through it.

• itinkuravinalaff 17 Feb 2013 13:23:51 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Completed this last night, very compelling indeed and loved the combat. Will play again tonight. It's one of those rare games that you cant stop thinking about it after playing.
  • _Price_ 17 Mar 2013 16:08:30 3,074 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally got around to this. Average mechanics but as everyone and their mum seems to have realised: despite the gratuitous amount of shooty-shooty it's not really the point of the game.

Reminded me of Alpha Protocol more than a few times with the way it tries to keep you guessing and for the most part manages it successfully.

Had my buttocks handed to me on several occasions so may well play through again on one of the easier difficulties so that I can appreciate the ride a little bit more.
  • FabricatedLunatic 17 Apr 2013 12:38:26 13,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm up to chapter 13 on Suicide Mission (i.e. hard). There's some serious bullshit on this difficulty level, most of which is down to the armoured fucks, the flaky cover system, and it being such an almighty pain in the arse to get ammo and/or a decent weapon. Had I been struggling like this earlier in the game I would've dropped down to normal and foregone the e-penis points, but I'm loath to do it now. Grr.

As for the "point" of the game, I could've done without it being so heavy-handed. It's all your fault, says the loading screen. Subtlety, thy name is not Spec Ops.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last