Playstation Network Account Question.....

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • BigHairyBear 27 Mar 2011 18:30:16 118 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My son is getting a Playstation 3 for his birthday next week and wants to play games online, so will be setting him up with a PSN Network Account...is this needed to play online and if it is, do I really have to use a credit card when setting up account? He'll want to download Demo's etc...but don't really want the lil bugger buying stuff online with Dad's card...

A friend's kids play online on theirs and he doesn't think there's a card on their accounts...

Thanks in advance!
  • Deleted user 27 March 2011 18:36:44
    nope. you can buy prepaid cards to add to your wallet. no credit/bank card necessary.
  • BigHairyBear 27 Mar 2011 18:48:13 118 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aha That's good..I don't live with him so I'm going over next week to set it all up, so i don't need a prepaid card with intitial set up? I can add to it later? Thanks again :-)
  • gohda 27 Mar 2011 18:56:18 6,642 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can make an account first without any type of card, yep.
  • BigHairyBear 27 Mar 2011 18:58:15 118 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ok that's good thanks guys :-)
  • Deleted user 27 March 2011 18:59:16
    yup, pretty much. he may want stuff immediately, so i'd get a 20 one if you can. although there was some dispute as to wether there are any 20 vouchers floating about atm. if not its very easy to add/remove card details, unlike an xbl account.
  • mothercruncher 27 Mar 2011 19:28:53 7,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shop around, you should be able to get 20 vouchers for 15-18 online, it ebbs and flows a bit.
  • Accordi0n 27 Mar 2011 19:44:54 1,075 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You could also set up a master account for you, and a sub account for your son.

Through the master account you can change parental settings, and add funds from credit card.

Sub accounts can use money in the wallet but cant add to it from a credit card, so for example once a month you could add 5 which is available for your son to use [within the terms of the parental controls].
  • FuzzyDuck 27 Mar 2011 20:01:57 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As the guys say above it's an idea to shop around for the cards and consider setting up a master/sub-account.

The Playstation online manual is a handy guide for going about things.
  • caligari 10 Aug 2013 00:22:16 17,194 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry about bumping such an old thread, but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I've just borrowed a friend's PS3 to play through a few games that I'd have otherwise missed out on - BUT - is it possible to sign in to my old PSN account without cocking up anything on his console? I remember purchasing Wipeout HD a few years ago and I'd love to give that another whirl.

I can see the option on the 'dashboard' to start up a new account, but nothing about recovering an old one.

Also, if I was to sign out of his account, will I need his password to get back in?
  • dominalien 10 Aug 2013 00:32:58 7,065 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are "users" on the PS3, which is basically a way to separate saves, and then every "user" may or may not have a PSN account associated with it.

You can change users at will and no passwords are necessary (or possible). That's the first column on the left.

Once you've selected a user, you can sign-in to PSN, either by making a new account or putting in an existing one. That's the second column from the right, IIRC. When you delete a user, the PSN info goes with it. If you leave it, even if not logged in, other users on the machine can use that user's content.

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 1

Previous Next