The Hinge

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • INSOMANiAC 26 Mar 2011 14:03:44 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does anyone elses top screen move slightly when touched ?

On the DS it was more sturdy

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Rigu7 26 Mar 2011 14:53:19 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Does anyone elses top screen move slightly when touched ?

On the DS it was more sturdy

Yep. It's quite annoying.

The machine itself is not as comfortable as a DS lite to hold. The shoulders buttons are awkward for games like PES. They feel undersized.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 26 Mar 2011 16:00:18 7,299 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The DS Lite's upper screen was more sturdy but it's not an issue for me on the 3DS. It does move sligthly if I press on the screen but it is solid enough so that the screen does not randomly start to move if I move the 3DS.

I guess Nintendo made the mechanism a bit more loose this time to avoid having cracked hinges which was very common on DS Lites. I have 2 DS Lite as well and both have their hinges cracked, it's purely cosmetical though, the screen does not move because of this.
  • mal 26 Mar 2011 17:49:06 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Er, why are you touching the top screen? You know only the bottom screen is a touch-screen, right? ;)

Mine moves about if you shake the unit unless you lock it in one of the two postitions, but I always do that so it's not an issue for me.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Rigu7 26 Mar 2011 19:51:34 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Er, why are you touching the top screen? You know only the bottom screen is a touch-screen, right? ;)

Mine moves about if you shake the unit unless you lock it in one of the two postitions, but I always do that so it's not an issue for me.

My unit's top screen is a touch wobbly in the "lock" positions, that's my issue with it. Not a big concern and is only noticeable if you nudge the back of it when hitting shoulder buttons aggressively.
  • MARKIV 26 Mar 2011 21:22:58 84 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, to me the 3DS feels like a prototype that got released and not a final product. When I open the screen the hinge mechansim is not very smooth especially compared to the DS and DSi. I can live with it though..
  • DFawkes 26 Mar 2011 21:32:44 22,581 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mine is fine. Awesome, even. Sturdy, smooth and clicks into position in a very satisfying way. Certainly better than my old DS Lite. It's a fantastic device, but I can't help suspect from threads like this the build quality is wildly variable. It'd be better if there was more consistency across the board.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Gearskin 28 Mar 2011 15:42:26 2,045 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's more people being pedantic. I hadn't even thought about trying to move the top screen when the console is open. There is a little give, it does move slightly. But not on its own.

The built quality on this thing is awesome.
  • PhoenixFlames 28 Mar 2011 16:11:04 8,899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No problems here. It opens, it closes, it stays in the position I put it in. Simples.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Popzeus 28 Mar 2011 16:11:08 8,272 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MARKIV wrote:
    Yes, to me the 3DS feels like a prototype that got released and not a final product.

Really?

The original 'fat' DS, that's what a prototype feels (and looks) like. I think the 3DS is the best-engineered piece of hardware Nintendo have put out in a very long time, myself.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Gearskin 28 Mar 2011 16:16:05 2,045 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed. In terms of hardware, I think it's the most substantial piece of awesome Nintendo has ever dropped. Certainly their best handheld, straight out of the gate.
  • PhoenixFlames 28 Mar 2011 16:19:27 8,899 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MARKIV wrote:
    Yes, to me the 3DS feels like a prototype that got released and not a final product. When I open the screen the hinge mechansim is not very smooth especially compared to the DS and DSi. I can live with it though..

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

edit: I agree that the original phat DS was a prototype.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• cowell 28 Mar 2011 16:25:57 675 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh man, I thought The Hinge was going to be some new quirky indie puzzler
  • shamblemonkee 28 Mar 2011 16:29:35 14,256 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I misread Hinge as well... youdo the Math...
  • INSOMANiAC 28 Mar 2011 18:50:15 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    I think it's more people being pedantic.

Why is it being pedantic asking a question about a hinge that clearly wobbles when you use the device?

The GBA doesnt do it, non the DS's do it

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• jonsaan 28 Mar 2011 18:54:26 25,326 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's luck of the draw myself. Both my DS were pretty darned wobbly. My XL is not at all.

My 3DS is rock solid.

FCUTA!

• Rigu7 29 Mar 2011 21:36:12 112 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    I think it's more people being pedantic. I hadn't even thought about trying to move the top screen when the console is open. There is a little give, it does move slightly. But not on its own.

The built quality on this thing is awesome.

Pedantry is the name of the game though on a forum specific to the machine. Should the screen wobble at all in a 180 quid device? Nope.

A shame that even for my dainty hands it just feels a little cramped - even though the buttons are essentially in the same spacing as the DS lite.

Doing a direct comparison, the 3DS discomfort seems to come from the little edged lip on the bottom screen rim and the shoulder buttons not being flush.
  • Deleted user 29 March 2011 21:37:48
    Rigu7 wrote:
    mal wrote:

My unit's top screen is a touch wobbly in the "lock" positions, that's my issue with it. Not a big concern and is only noticeable if you nudge the back of it when hitting shoulder buttons aggressively.
    It needs some give otherwise it's at a higher risk of snapping.
  • INSOMANiAC 29 Mar 2011 21:49:54 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Funny that, I never heard of anyone snapping a GBA hinge

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Res 29 Mar 2011 21:54:42 1,814 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    No problems here. It opens, it closes, it stays in the position I put it in. Simples.

Really, no movement at all? I feel like this may be one of those situations where some people are just searching for faults with their new purchase, mine has some slight movement if I tip the console back and forth but no more than my DS Lite.

I don't think the smaller shoulder buttons help either, they force your fingers much closer to the screen than the old DS ones, which obviously makes you much more likely to nudge it.

I should also add I haven't tested a bunch so it could well be an issue for some, I'd love to see a few videos of the problem.
  • el_pollo_diablo 29 Mar 2011 22:11:00 2,064 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine has a bit of wobble. As long as I don't wobble it I reckon it'll be alright.
  • Raiko101 29 Mar 2011 22:31:54 6,051 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mine wobbles by about a millimeter. I'm pretty sure this is the same as the original DS model. Either way, it doesn't feel as if its about to drop off and I don't really notice it if my fingers knock it at all.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• jonsaan 29 Mar 2011 22:34:48 25,326 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also think they require give. My nephews have snapped at least 3 Ds lites. I blame the kids.

FCUTA!

• mal 29 Mar 2011 22:47:01 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rigu7 wrote:
    Should the screen wobble at all in a 180 quid device? Nope.
    I suspect there's a lot of variance in 3DS hinges. I've seen many hundred pound laptops with far more wobble than my 3DS hinge.

My 3DS' hinge flexes slightly back, and ever so slightly forward, so in practice it's very hard to move it with your fingertips on the shoulder buttons.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Raiko101 29 Mar 2011 22:52:58 6,051 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I should also point out that i've not had any hinge problems with my original DS and i've owned it since the Japanese launch. Fingers crossed the 3DS goes the same way!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 1

Previous Next