Rift!

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • SClaw 21 Mar 2011 15:24:38 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So there's an old locked Rift thread... and a thread somewhere in the PC forum but that's not the right place for it... so here's this thread.

Who's playing this right now? Given how shit the community in game is I either need to move servers or find the clusters of nice people you might already know. I've only been playing two days so it's no hardship to reroll.

Also be nice to hear people's thoughts on good soul combos... I'm currently playing a paragon/warlord/champion for no other reason than that it looks freakin' cool (has a lot of cool down and proc dependant powers though, so I tend to stare at the bar too much). I think some sort of AOE character might suit me better though. Any ideas?
  • Stickman 21 Mar 2011 15:27:30 29,657 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's up with the community? I don't play it, but I'm getting more and more sick of the people playing wow and was eyeing this up a bit. If it's full of tools as well I'll not bother giving it another moment's thought.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Load_2.0 21 Mar 2011 15:32:20 18,895 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I will play if it's a new MMO EG crowd, I don't want to join a game like WOW with everyone on their flying space tigers, while I run around skinning rats.

• graysonavich 21 Mar 2011 15:44:06 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It needs a bit of work Stick. Rod & I were playing it a bit and it just feels really unpolished. The best of the WoW clones though. Hopefully it'll last long enough for it to get a bit more streamlined.
  • SClaw 21 Mar 2011 15:53:33 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's pretty polished (at low levels anyway). It's certainly not as good as it could be but it feels like it's yet to get a sense of itself. I have a feeling that this will be a very good MMO in a few months, even if right now it's just a quite good MMO. Obviously you have to compare this to WoW and, despite stealing the good parts, it's just not (understandable). However, it is new so yes... less space tigers and more noobs.

The community is alright. Just a lot of smack talk in general chat, the kind of stuff you don't really see in WoW anymore because the meatheads are all smack talking in guild chat instead. Nothing overly bad but if you go on during peak hours I don't recommend you ask a noob question.

Only mechanic that really troubles me and will be hard to address is the souls. You get a lot of early skills which are basically duplicates... it's a bit messy. I just keep them around for a variety of animations even though they are functionally basically the same.
  • heavy_salad 21 Mar 2011 16:26:07 715 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been playing it a bit, but just by myself really. Never played an MMO before so I'm just learning the ropes with it. Can't remember what server I'n on - began with 'S' IIRC. The few times I have interacted with others though I've never had a problem, and I asked some very fucking stupid questions :D.
  • Carlo 21 Mar 2011 16:35:30 17,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this PvP heavy or light? I might be tempted to try it if I don't have to PvP all the time.

PSN ID: Djini

• Carlo 21 Mar 2011 16:41:03 17,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not a huge following though if I'm reading the Steam stats right:

Current Players Peak Today Game

63,926 82,629 Counter-Strike
    56,135 77,392 Counter-Strike: Source
    30,665 40,566 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
    25,967 38,018 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer
    23,520 38,597 Total War SHOGUN 2
    19,454 29,042 Football Manager 2011
    13,392 24,801 Sid Meier's Civilization V
    12,898 21,631 Team Fortress 2
    9,300 15,242 Left 4 Dead 2
    6,212 12,588 RIFT

• Lexx87 21 Mar 2011 16:41:57 20,869 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a new game, you can't really compare it yet :p

Speak the truth hussy!

• InfiniteFury 21 Mar 2011 16:44:09 864 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm on Icewatch. I can't recall a single incident of smack or general aggro in public channels so might want to give it a go. Level 46 now so I've been through a lot of the areas and got a feel for the community.

It's a PvE server though if that's not your bag.
  • graysonavich 21 Mar 2011 16:46:44 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Considering that's up against mostly Steam-only games and the biggest selling game of all time, it's hardly a fair chart.
  • Carlo 21 Mar 2011 16:55:39 17,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    It's a new game, you can't really compare it yet :p
    I'm not comparing it as such, it's just the list of active games.

On the plus side, it's on the top 10 chart... They must be pleased with that.

Infinate, you might see me on Icewatch, any other EG'ers on a PvE gravitating to this server?

• Xeaon 21 Mar 2011 18:34:29 608 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone playing this on a pvp server? Hard to get into it solo :(
  • Hunam 21 Mar 2011 18:40:02 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steam stats don't really mean much to MMO's tbh.
  • InfiniteFury 21 Mar 2011 19:05:02 864 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could the OP have deleted his account? I'm sure that's happened before and a thread's vanished.
  • Stickman 21 Mar 2011 19:17:28 29,657 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, if any of the usual crowd are up for giving this a whack for a bit, I'd be up for that.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• SClaw 21 Mar 2011 22:01:33 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Icewatch? Yeah, I'll roll up a new one there later this week then. Not attached to my present server really. Name posted when I get around to it.

Incidently, not proposing a guild or anything here. I don't fly with that - everyone wants something different from a guild. But it would be nice to have a few names on the friends list for stupid questions/occasional fun.

You defiant or guardian InfiniteFury? Seems like the choice is mostly based on whether you like blue skin or pink skin, so it doesn't bother me which side I'm on.
  • heavy_salad 21 Mar 2011 22:22:52 715 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I might switch servers if there's a few people off here who migrate to the same one. Won't be up for anything regular or serious (I probably only play maybe 3 times a week for an hour or two) but it'd be nice to actually get involved with the MMO side rather than just running around by myself.

Think I'm only level 10 or something anyway.
  • Carlo 21 Mar 2011 22:23:39 17,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's the per-month charge for this?

• heavy_salad 21 Mar 2011 22:25:00 715 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    What's the per-month charge for this?

8.99 a month IIRC. They had some pricing plans on if you signed up for longer (think it was 5.99 if you signed up for 6).
  • Carlo 21 Mar 2011 22:27:25 17,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems good enough for me, I think i'll give it a bash. Especially if there will be a few of us on it.

• InfiniteFury 22 Mar 2011 10:30:43 864 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Icewatch? Yeah, I'll roll up a new one there later this week then. Not attached to my present server really. Name posted when I get around to it.

Incidently, not proposing a guild or anything here. I don't fly with that - everyone wants something different from a guild. But it would be nice to have a few names on the friends list for stupid questions/occasional fun.

You defiant or guardian InfiniteFury? Seems like the choice is mostly based on whether you like blue skin or pink skin, so it doesn't bother me which side I'm on.

I'm Defiant-side, found Guardians too up their own arse.
  • Fillem 22 Mar 2011 10:58:48 123 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm in a EU goon guild on a PvP EU server BloodIron.
    Feel free to send me a friend request if you're on there and need some company :)

Oh, forgot: character name is Tartala
  • SClaw 22 Mar 2011 13:22:52 826 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    InfiniteFury wrote:
    I'm Defiant-side, found Guardians too up their own arse.

Cool. I'll roll up a fresh on then. PvE for me on this game, at least until it goes over the free month periods.

Played a little last night. I was crafting a million boots (just like wow!) and a big firey rift opened up on top of my head. Ran away. Giant horny dude came in. HUNDREDS of players appeared and mobbed the bastard. I joined in despite being grossly out levelled. Died. Ran back up... failed to hit him. He died. I got stuff. I have no idea what the hell that was and I know I didn't help at all but it was hella fun and I got free stuff. Also astonishly lag free.

Reminds me of Tabula Rasa. I miss that game. I was a brilliant medic, and I had an awesome guy with a minigun that could hit thirty targets at once. Stupid NCSoft.
  • Razzajazz 22 Mar 2011 14:35:12 123 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Still really on the fence about this, massively tempted, but not played many MMO's so don't have a ready list of friends to play with, and don't really want to get it just to be doing everything on my own. What do you reckon, peeps? lol
  • InfiniteFury 22 Mar 2011 14:57:26 864 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'll unquestionably have a blast with the month you get with the game and during that time you're bound to make friends - one of the best parts of the game is that you find yourself making new buddies through world events.

Not constantly, but you'll find yourself in a home pretty easily. If you're on the fence, you'll thank me for a friendly shove off it ;-)
  • heavy_salad 22 Mar 2011 15:14:56 715 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Razz, sounds like you're in a similar boat to what I was in, and so far I think I'm quite enjoying what I've played of it, and that's just been by myself (I've barely interacted with anyone). I'd give it a try.
  • Carlo 22 Mar 2011 15:36:32 17,948 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK So...

PvP: BloodIron, defiant (Horde! lol)
    PvE: Icewatch or Sparkwing Guardians (Alliance /spits ;) )

So we sticking to Icewatch or Sparkwing? Icewatch has 1 x lvl 46, Sparkwing has 2 x lvl 'teen'

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous