Is a mouse + kb still off limits to consoles ?

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 15:22:12 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We know now that people are willing to pay 100 + for extra motion sensing equipment
    but publishers still will not release games on consoles designed for Kb + m.

    I think its completely crazy for them to think that console gamers will not use a kb+m (it can be taken for granted that most households already have these..at worst its a 10 investment).

    Im sure a lot of people would like to play the likes of sc 2 and shogun 2 but are unwilling to spend approx 800 on a good pc to do so.



  • bladdard 20 Mar 2011 15:28:36 941 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Completely agree 100%, the only argument is m/kb players would have an advantage playing multiplayer games but surely pitting the same control scheme against each other would sort that problem.
  • mal 20 Mar 2011 15:31:38 22,550 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My dreamcast can take m&kb, but there were only a handful of games that supported it, and it was kind of impractical as I don't have my DC installed at a desk.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • graysonavich 20 Mar 2011 15:33:09 7,353 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    1) Most households will have a basic keyboard and mouse, this won't be any better than using a pad

    2) Most people play on consoles because they sit on their sofas, negating the use of any kb+m

    3) Have you see Shogun 2 running? Plugging in a kb+m won't magically update the 7 year old hardware

    4) A decent PC can be picked up for not much more than a fully spec'd console

    5) This has been done to death
  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 15:41:22 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1. Nonsense, the most basic mouse is far superior to a pad for rts.

    2. Wireless mouse

    3. Just a case of reducing some gfx detail. Starcraft 2 would work no problem.

    4. not true, a 300 pc would be crippled and out of date in 6-12 months.

    5. Sure , but peoples recent acceptance of motion controlling extras seems to reopen the argument that console gamers would be willing to use a mouse.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 15:43:48 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ratso wrote:
    4. not true, a 300 pc would be crippled and out of date in 6-12 months.
    No it wouldn't, there are people still playing counter-strike on windows 98 machines.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 15:46:09 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ratso wrote:
    We know now that people are willing to pay 100 + for extra motion sensing equipment
    Yes, and.
    kb+m at worst its a 10 investment).
    I think you've answered your own question. If they can peddle that shit to the morons, what's the profit in selling them a 10 third party peripheral?

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • graysonavich 20 Mar 2011 15:47:27 7,353 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    1. So you're going to buy a kb+m just for RTS games? Then you're marketing it towards enthusiasts, which by definition will have a decent PC set up already

    2. What? You're going to use it mouse on the arm of your sofa? OK.

    3. Since SC2 took nearly 10 years to make by one of the best developers in the industry it can be turned down and still look nice. This isn't the standard of most games though.

    4. Like a console?

    5. If you say so

    6. LISTS
  • Deleted user 20 March 2011 15:48:41
    My 3 year old PC still runs 99% of games on maximum settings.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 15:49:26 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ratso wrote:
    1. Nonsense, the most basic mouse is far superior to a pad for rts.
    You forgot to mention all shooting games.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 20 March 2011 15:51:21
    ratso wrote:
    5. Sure , but peoples recent acceptance of motion controlling extras seems to reopen the argument that console gamers would be willing to use a mouse.

    If there was a comfortable way to do this while sat on a sofa that was marketed with the kind of budget kinect had then it would take off. Not for sports or driving games.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 15:54:33 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hijack time.

    Is it bad that I'm considering one of these?

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 20 March 2011 15:55:52
    Looks perfect for lady friends too.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 20 Mar 2011 15:57:46 1,519 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The reason is that no game truly needs just kb and mouse to play. Not that will make money anyhoo. If COD was only kb and mouse it would be incorporated to console.

    All about the money.

    Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 16:00:52 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Looks perfect for lady friends too.
    It's because of numerous lady friends that I'm primarily a PC gamer. You try absconding with the TV when Eastenders is on and have a quiet life.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 16:01:05 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I already use a mouse from the sofa , I just put it on my knee.. works perfectly fine. (admittedly, an optical mouse is necessary.. can u still buy ball mice?)

    I dont really think the KB is that important, the pads buttons could be used for that.

    It doesnt really need to marketed does it ? people understand the mouse by now, there wouldnt be any need for sony/ms to sell their own mouse.. just let people use the standard 3rd party ones ( they already work with ps3)
  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 16:02:48 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    The reason is that no game truly needs just kb and mouse to play. Not that will make money anyhoo. If COD was only kb and mouse it would be incorporated to console.

    All about the money.

    Im thinking about RTS really, a genre off limits to consoles because of the lack of mouse support.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 16:04:25 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Buy a PC then.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • graysonavich 20 Mar 2011 16:04:28 7,353 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So we're going to play SC2 light, with the shinies turned off, with a mouse on our knees. Can't wait to rush out and buy this.

    I don't think you've thought this one through.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 20 Mar 2011 16:08:09 1,519 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ratso wrote:

    OomniaVincitAmor wrote:
    The reason is that no game truly needs just kb and mouse to play. Not that will make money anyhoo. If COD was only kb and mouse it would be incorporated to console.

    All about the money.

    Im thinking about RTS really, a genre off limits to consoles because of the lack of mouse support.

    I understand but my point remains. Do you think sony and Microsoft really had a long term plan for motion control? Or saw the success of ninty and wanted a piece.

    Halo wars. If a rts game had any potential it'd be that. Tanked.

    Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 16:10:39 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    So we're going to play SC2 light, with the shinies turned off, with a mouse on our knees. Can't wait to rush out and buy this.

    I don't think you've thought this one through.


    Personally , i always use my wireless mouse on my knee on the sofa... its totally fine and far more comfortable then sitting for hours, back twisted at a desk.


    The topic is the control interface and its suitability to consoles, we are not talking about a consoles gfx power.

  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 16:14:39 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You need to realise that console makers don't give a fuck about you, they only care about your money. Now shut up and buy more 50 games and 100 pieces of shit that will gather dust.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 16:15:47 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    ratso wrote:

    OomniaVincitAmor wrote:
    The reason is that no game truly needs just kb and mouse to play. Not that will make money anyhoo. If COD was only kb and mouse it would be incorporated to console.

    All about the money.

    Im thinking about RTS really, a genre off limits to consoles because of the lack of mouse support.

    I understand but my point remains. Do you think sony and Microsoft really had a long term plan for motion control? Or saw the success of ninty and wanted a piece.

    Halo wars. If a rts game had any potential it'd be that. Tanked.


    problem with halo wars was that it was cut down for consoles and designed for a pad.

    The idea is the having a mouse means no more cut down ports or weak rts designed for a pad
  • OmniaVincitAmor 20 Mar 2011 16:17:06 1,519 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

    You need to realise that console makers don't give a fuck about you, they only care about your money. Now shut up and buy more 50 games and 100 pieces of shit that will gather dust.

    This. What I said but angrier.

    Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

  • graysonavich 20 Mar 2011 16:17:11 7,353 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bit early to be playing the hunched over a PC desk card. Why not just plug your PC into the telly then if you like your sofa so much? I'll try and salvage something from this by suggesting ways to improve your "unique situation".
  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 16:24:50 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Bit early to be playing the hunched over a PC desk card. Why not just plug your PC into the telly then if you like your sofa so much? I'll try and salvage something from this by suggesting ways to improve your "unique situation".

    Im not playing any card, im answering your point about things not selling on consoles unless they work from the sofa.

    The mouse works perfectly fine on both desk and sofa... whatever your preference. I have used my laptop connected to the tv with wireless mouse and i found the experience more comfortable then at my desk.


  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 16:29:54 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are you extraordinarily fat btw? My knee simply isn't working as a mouse surface.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 20 March 2011 16:30:09
    Sorry, but a mouse on the knee is not identical to using it as a desk. Your accuracy would suffer for a whole heap of reasons, least of all arm positioning and surface area. Might be fine for slower paced games, but SC2 (and most competitive RTS games to be honest) isn't really slow paced.
  • ratso 20 Mar 2011 16:30:50 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    ratso wrote:
    We know now that people are willing to pay 100 + for extra motion sensing equipment
    Yes, and.
    kb+m at worst its a 10 investment).
    I think you've answered your own question. If they can peddle that shit to the morons, what's the profit in selling them a 10 third party peripheral?

    The profit comes from enabling the sale of new products, like rts games, to people who have consoles.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2011 16:31:36 78,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Console makers don't profit from publishers making RTS games.

    They just get shit for forcing everyone to conform to a K&M. Might as well buy a decent PC.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Page

    of 3 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply