Fez - 2D/3D in a Studio Pixel style Page 17

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• mouse Moderator 2 May 2013 10:16:59 10,312 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I bought the PC version yesterday - yeah, it's a clever idea and all, and very cute, but it's also mind-numbingly boring to play. Having real trouble understanding the hype right now, unless it gets a lot better (and more challenging). :-/
    This was my reaction when I played the demo of the XBLA version. But give it time, explore the world a bit (this is really important - it's a great world to just wander about in), start digging in and getting those cubes, trying to get behind doors, figuring out the codes. It eventually reveals itself as a lot more than the gimmicky retro platformer it sells itself as in the beginning. There is so much in there to discover, give it a good chance.

Edit: Also, if you were expecting the challenges to come from the platforming: don't.

Edited by mouse at 10:17:52 02-05-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 May 2013 10:28:29 35,427 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks, mouse, I won't give up yet!
  • Mr_Sleep 2 May 2013 11:02:39 16,851 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I pretty much gave up at the point point I had to understand the codes. I was stuck in an area where lightning constantly goes off and with a chalk board with loads of glyphs on it and that was when I stopped. I was kind of enjoying it up to then but I had no idea what I was doing and my interest faded from there. I'm sure I'm missing out but the obtuseness of that area made me give up.

You are a factory of sadness.

• mouse Moderator 2 May 2013 11:11:24 10,312 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, that's a shame, but I suppose it's not for everybody. It's really sort of more a puzzle game than it seems, and cracking each one can be very frustrating, but also very rewarding. Some of them are *ridiculous* though, and making notes and referring to guides will be necessary. But I had a lot of fun trying to get to the bottom of some of the mysteries.
  • L0cky 2 May 2013 11:18:30 1,501 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I pretty much gave up at the point point I had to understand the codes.
    Are you referring to specific puzzles, or the language as a whole?
  • Mr_Sleep 2 May 2013 11:41:54 16,851 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm referring to a specific puzzle but in reading stuff to try and understand where I was going wrong I discovered that I need to understand some language or other.

The problem is, I was playing it inconsistently and so I couldn't really remember if I had gone through every avenue as I seemed to have reached a brick wall and there was no alternative but to solve a puzzle that I couldn't as I didn't even understand what I was supposed to be doing. I just went on to other things. I keep meaning to give it another go but I'm sure something shiny will appear.

• Widge Moderator 2 May 2013 11:54:54 13,267 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As far as I get from players, this is the sort of game you need a notepad at your side to play, you won't be able to bluff your way through with memory or trial and error.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 2 May 2013 11:57:51
    Gave up at the same time as Mr Sleep.
  • mouse Moderator 2 May 2013 11:59:24 10,312 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    As far as I get from players, this is the sort of game you need a notepad at your side to play, you won't be able to bluff your way through with memory or trial and error.
    Yup, true facts. You end up with some pretty interesting notes. If someone who doesn't know anything about the game sees it on the coffee table, it can seem like you've gone a bit mental.
  • Widge Moderator 2 May 2013 12:01:24 13,267 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have a little notebook ready for when I play through the game!

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/95635534/nikola-tesla-and-you-a5-notebook?ref=market

_ _ _

• kinky_mong 2 May 2013 12:20:18 9,969 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very sad to see people giving up just as the real game gets going. The code breaking stuff was the moment when I really fell in love with the game, especially when the hints started to fall into place.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Mr_Sleep 2 May 2013 12:37:30 16,851 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The thing is, I am a gamer that requires a feedback loop, Fez very much doesn't provide an interactive feedback loop at the point I described. As an example, I assumed that it had something to do with the lightning so I spent ages trying to piece together some kind of timing related thing or something to do with illumination but as I had nothing to interact with to give me a clue I just gave up.

I'm not sure if I have always been this way regarding feedback loops but trial and error is very much part of how I play games, probably through conditioning. This idea being subverted is a good way for games to move as it requires more lateral thinking but I wasn't prepared for that and so I just gave up.

• Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 12:59:43 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never gave up as such but sort of trailed off. I kept starting up the game and wondering around not being able to find anything to do and going in circles, after half and hour of that I get extremely bored and turn it off. A few sessions of that and I kinda lost the will to start up anymore.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deckard1 2 May 2013 13:02:34 27,206 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah same with me. I'm not really a "play with a note book" kind of guy.
  • Widge Moderator 2 May 2013 13:17:59 13,267 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It requires the right frame of mind to play. Probably why I haven't stuck Year Walk on much, one of the sequences of animations is a bit much for my memory to recall and I have never been in the frame of mind to sit down with a pen.

_ _ _

• Kay 2 May 2013 13:42:05 17,762 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's more about chilled-out exploring and puzzling rather than platforming. Well, it is until you get to some of the anti-cube puzzles, which I found too obtuse and frustrating to be fun. Nowadays with the internet and FAQs I really don't have the patience for that sort of thing anymore.

Edited by Kay at 13:42:55 02-05-2013
  • bunglebonce 2 May 2013 13:59:10 2,108 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I have a little notebook ready for when I play through the game!

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/95635534/nikola-tesla-and-you-a5-notebook?ref=market
    Classy notebook!

/wants

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Roddles 2 May 2013 17:22:32 1,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/224760/discussions/0/828937546146648542/#p1

Fucking brilliant.

Game is buggier than the console version. Worst tearing and judder I've ever seen.
  • Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 17:54:22 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's some sensitive delicate little flowers in that thread. 58fps is not unplayable.

• Roddles 2 May 2013 18:05:30 1,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's not 58fps that people are complaining about, it's the inevitable side effect of judder that's induced by 58fps on a VSynced 60hz refresh rate.

Does help to read the content before branding people "flowers" for a major issue.

Edited by Roddles at 18:07:30 02-05-2013
  • Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 18:07:40 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

I did, I still think people are overreacting.

• Roddles 2 May 2013 18:08:44 1,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You either have no idea what severe frame judder is, or you're an obnoxious cunt.

Which is it?
  • Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 18:10:42 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A bit of both, talking of overreacting...

• bunglebonce 2 May 2013 18:14:21 2,108 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    or you're an obnoxious cunt.

It's only a game.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Rhaegyr 2 May 2013 19:20:20 1,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stunning game, only Braid is up there with it on the Arcade for me. Some of the anti-cubes were genius, others less so (rumble puzzles, I'm looking at you). The OST is amazing in parts too, particularly Beacon, Legend and of course Sync.

The general consensus I get from this site is that people don't want their hands held when playing games, and games have been dumbed down in general difficulty-wise. I know that's how I feel. Games like this, XCOM, Dark Souls and Antechamber (among a few others) remind me how satisfying it is to finally best a difficult game and I wish more of these games existed. I dunno, they just seem to have a certain intelligence about them and don't take the player for an idiot which is HUGELY refreshing.

Also - I agree with Kay regarding the type of game it is. It's an out an out puzzle game for my money. Hell, the platforming is the worst part of the game.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 19:21:10 02-05-2013
  • Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 19:27:19 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bunglebonce wrote:
    Roddles wrote:

It's only a game.
    Maybe he had a bad day, there's worse things that being passionate about a playing a game you've looked forward to but I was really just making fun of the ludicrous over reactions of some gamers when they don't get everything their way instantly. Hopefully this'll get patched soon, since patching is pretty much free on steam I expect it will and I'm sorry if I offended anyone :/

• Mr-Brett 2 May 2013 19:29:41 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The general consensus I get from this site is that people don't want their hands held when playing games, and games have been dumbed down in general difficulty-wise.
    I wish this game did a bit more hand holding, then I might know what to do :)

• Roddles 2 May 2013 19:36:15 1,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    bunglebonce wrote:
    Roddles wrote:

It's only a game.
    Maybe he had a bad day, there's worse things that being passionate about a playing a game you've looked forward to but I was really just making fun of the ludicrous over reactions of some gamers when they don't get everything their way instantly. Hopefully this'll get patched soon, since patching is pretty much free on steam I expect it will and I'm sorry if I offended anyone :/
    I've had a really good day thanks. There's nothing I can't stand more than an ignorant forum poster who comes up with the classic "well I don't think it's an issue because I don't understand or haven't experienced it".

Expecting a game that doesn't judder every single second on release isn't "getting everything your way instantly". It's an absolutely massive bug that should have delayed release. When judder happens on bad encodes on DVD and Bluray discs they get mass recalled. It's not like Fez has gone without it's share of pretty shoddy bugs either. It's fairly infamous for it.

Calling you a cunt might have been a bit of an overreaction, but you were certainly being ignorant and obnoxious. Try not to act all high and mighty because you don't know what you're talking about or understand the problem.

Also the classic "it's only a game" comment doesn't really work. Product is buggy. Product cost money. Try saying that to anybody who's wasted money on Sim City.

Edited by Roddles at 19:39:49 02-05-2013
  • Raiko101 2 May 2013 19:50:17 6,078 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I loved this game. Arguably the greatest game on the console, after Minecraft.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Page

of 26 First / Last