Fez - 2D/3D in a Studio Pixel style Page 16

• Page

of 26 First / Last

• L_Franko Moderator 19 Jul 2012 10:22:42 9,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Started this yesterday and it is brilliant!
    I did buy it on the day it was released but ignored it for some reason.

Last night I ended my session after doing the vibrating puzzle in the sewer level, that made me smile.
    Looking foward to getting back on it after work.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2012 11:01:22
    You are in for a treat :)
  • L_Franko Moderator 19 Jul 2012 11:10:32 9,686 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, I may have to sneak off home early today :)
  • Mike1980 19 Jul 2012 12:49:11 240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does the broken patch fix the crash to dashboard problem. I got to a room with many doors on all 4 sides but it constantly crashes there.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2012 13:02:33
    Only one way to find out I guess. I'm not touching the patch, but I have finished the game so as the Fish dude (or whatever his name is) said it's more risky for players with completed games.

Good luck!
  • Mr-Brett 19 Jul 2012 15:04:04 12,676 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a shame that Polytron are in a crappy position and can't patch the bug, I guess it's worth backing up my save every so often.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Kay 19 Jul 2012 15:22:49 17,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So this save game corruption issue shouldn't affect new saves, right? Excellent, means I can finally play this.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jul 2012 16:39:44 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    It's a shame that Polytron are in a crappy position and can't patch the bug, I guess it's worth backing up my save every so often.
    Well, technically they CAN patch the bug. They're just too cheap to pay for it. Which makes me rather cross, to be honest.

Yes, $40k is a lot of money and probably way-too-expensive for a small outfit. But they signed the contract, they knew what they'd be liable for. If it was such a bad deal then they shouldn't have signed it, end of. Foisting known-to-be-broken code onto people who paid good money for his game is like a giant 'fuck you' to the customer.

I loved Fez, but his attitude in this instance fucking stinks. Basically the money's more important to him than the people who gave it to him.
  • oceanmotion 19 Jul 2012 16:52:29 15,243 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would be a nice test case for the EU over ownership and returning digital content.
  • Kay 19 Jul 2012 19:35:29 17,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed with Blerk's comments. What makes it worse is that Phil Fish has always come across as a bit of a tool - slagging of PC gaming (rather ironic, now that he says he wouldn't have had these same issues if the game was on Steam), and slagging off the Japanese games industry, all before he had even released his first game. A game that was five years in the making, and still somehow remains in a broken state and unlikely to ever be fixed now. Hard to feel any sympathy for him, really.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Jul 2012 20:48:31 12,676 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Poor choice of words on my behalf, I should have said "won't" instead of "can't". I can sympathise with them, it's a ludicrous amount of money for something fairly minor and what's it all for? to pay for Quality Assurance from MS? clearly that's not worth the cash...

Personally I think as the content producer Polytron have an obligation to make the game as playable as possible and they're aware of the issue, they probably even have the patch code ready so unless they really can't afford it then they should just cough up and deal with it. At the end of the day they'd end up with a much better reputation from the community.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Blerk Moderator 20 Jul 2012 11:51:23 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GI's summing up of the issue hits the nail on the head, I think (and not just because Rob is generally saying exactly the same things as I said above in a slightly less rude way). :)
  • Kay 26 Jul 2012 22:31:45 17,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Started playing the game (post-patch) over the weekend, only on about 24 cubes, and now the save won't load. Tried four times now, and it just freezes at the loading screen.

/sigh

I don't suppose there's any way of salvaging the save? I wouldn't mind starting again, but am now worried about the same issue cropping up again in the future. It'd be a shame for such a lovely game to end on a note like this. :(
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Jul 2012 22:41:37 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's only one save so you can't even go back to an older one. You could try clearing your 360's cache (and thereby deleting the patch), then refuse the update and see if it'll load into the unpatched version?

There are some slightly wonky framerate bits at times in the unpatched game but I don't recall anyone complaining that it stuffed their save.
  • Deleted user 26 July 2012 22:45:53
    If you start again I'd recommend re-downloading the game and then not applying the patch.
  • Kay 26 Jul 2012 22:49:06 17,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blerk Just did that and it worked (actually started doing it just before your post). \o/

I first tried re-applying the patch to see if it would load the save, that didn't fix it, so tried again without the patch. Not ideal, but if I can play the rest of the game without any issues it'll do.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Jul 2012 22:51:45 48,224 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I completed it just fine without the patch, so it's definitely possible.

One thing to watch is the load times. If they're starting to get longer and longer, or the frame-rate starts to chug too much, quit the game and restart. Pretty sure there's a memory leak or something in there which gets worse the longer you play, but restarting sorts it all out.

Edit: In other news, this has pretty much convinced me that I'm NEVER going to install that patch.

Edited by Blerk at 22:54:20 26-07-2012
  • ZuluHero 26 Jul 2012 23:49:06 3,659 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone else work themselves into an area that must run at around 2fps?

I couldn't tell you specifically where the room is, but its part of the graveyard world? If i enter the room its unplayable, when i fight my way back through the door to the previous area, then my frame rate returns.

Bit of a pity actually, as I was really enjoying it.
  • Widge Moderator 28 Jan 2013 14:23:07 12,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just played through to opening the first door. Loving the charm so far. Going to restart on my own account and earn my first ever gamerpoints. Oh the awesome.

How can I check to see if the patch is applied btw?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• neilka 18 Mar 2013 19:06:17 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steam 1st May
  • Deleted user 18 March 2013 19:58:05
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Mar 2013 22:30:58 6,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    http://i.imgur.com/xpvNkcw.png
    What a tosser.
  • caligari 18 Mar 2013 22:35:18 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I also picked this up at the weekend, and you'll be shocked to hear that I...love it.

I'm a little bit paranoid after reading about 'corrupt saves' etc - especially after The Walking Dead screwed me over so many times.
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Mar 2013 22:46:55 6,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    I also picked this up at the weekend, and you'll be shocked to hear that I...love it.

I'm a little bit paranoid after reading about 'corrupt saves' etc - especially after The Walking Dead screwed me over so many times.
    I quite want to play this.  I also quite dislike the games creator.  Probably just download a cracked version of it then tweet him a picture of it running on one monitor with a spreadsheet running on the other. 
  • Roddles 18 Mar 2013 22:57:54 1,429 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I quite want to play this.  I also quite dislike the games creator.  Probably just download a cracked version of it then tweet him a picture of it running on one monitor with a spreadsheet running on the other. 
    Please do this.
  • Widge Moderator 23 Apr 2013 19:08:03 12,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fez remix album is out now.

http://disasterpeace.com/album/fz-side-f

STRONG affinity with Solar Fields remix, C418 does a real M83 thing, Datasette I have heard of before from a Posthuman remix EP so was already prepped for liking that, and Daniel Olsen's acoustic touch on Adventure is quality. Lots of really strong interpretations on here though. Only Aaron Cherof's doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Widge at 20:15:47 23-04-2013

_ _ _

• spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 21:27:28 27,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Widge

Any good? I've got the OST, which I absolutely LOVE and has a permanent fixture on my mp3 player.

Does the remix album retain the sort of chilled out ambience of the OST, or does it take things in a more up-tempo, dancier direction?

Edited by darkmorgado at 21:28:12 23-04-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• riz23 23 Apr 2013 22:47:23 1,046 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Fez remix album is out now.

http://disasterpeace.com/album/fz-side-f

STRONG affinity with Solar Fields remix, C418 does a real M83 thing, Datasette I have heard of before from a Posthuman remix EP so was already prepped for liking that, and Daniel Olsen's acoustic touch on Adventure is quality. Lots of really strong interpretations on here though. Only Aaron Cherof's doesn't do it for me.
    Bought! Good call. Cheers!
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 May 2013 09:52:09 35,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought the PC version yesterday - yeah, it's a clever idea and all, and very cute, but it's also mind-numbingly boring to play. Having real trouble understanding the hype right now, unless it gets a lot better (and more challenging). :-/
  • Widge Moderator 2 May 2013 09:58:04 12,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Widge

Any good? I've got the OST, which I absolutely LOVE and has a permanent fixture on my mp3 player.

Does the remix album retain the sort of chilled out ambience of the OST, or does it take things in a more up-tempo, dancier direction?
    Very much the same for me. Fez sits up there with Boards Of Canada's Music Has The Right To Children and Luke Abbott's Holkham Drones in my definitive top 3.

It is mainly chilled out and some excellent takes on the tracks, not really mining a dancey vein at all.

Jim Guthrie does a typically quirky effort, there is a crazy multi mood meandering version of Majesty on there.

Solar Fields & C418 come in with some epically atmospheric versions, the latter coming across like an M83 fuzzy synth work. Plus a charming organic version of the title theme.

I think I only found one or two a duffer (which sounded like the tracks reimagined via an offday for a SNES Final Fantasy game), certainly worth a go though. Some real imagination in the remixes.

_ _ _

• Page

of 26 First / Last