Prey (2017) Page 45

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• quadfather 13 Sep 2017 11:06:46 28,904 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm getting better, but it's a difficult position to get used to comfortably.

Though saying that, I had a go on zombie army trilogy and that was easier - it must just be how fiddly system shock is on a massive screen when you're trying to select small stuff. Probably be easier on a normal pc.

Had to spunk a shitload of cyber modules to get Standard weapons to 6 for the assault rifle, then 3 in hack, and lots in Cyb so I can hack easier, and got my maintenance up so I can maintain the assault rifle better, but it's still fucking tight. And then of course, the fucking grenade launchers needs a heavy stat, and the fusion cannon needs even bastard more!

Still use the wrench when I can, or rather, when I have to. But dealing with The Many with a wrench isn't going to work
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 11:34:12 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather Did you do much research? I can remember all those chemical storerooms but can't remember what it is you actually research... Enemies?

Talking of upgrades and going back to Prey, I've pretty much maxed out all the shit I want now. It's great. I've also upgraded the gloo to it's speediest incapacity rate.
  • HelloNo 13 Sep 2017 11:35:59 1,967 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I think the whole lot were from systemshock.org. there's the hires textures, the flora one, the enemy models and the improved stars one. Looks great now
    Excellent, thanks.
  • Duffking 13 Sep 2017 11:37:01 14,725 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You research enemy organs which gives damage bonuses mainly but also new implants and weapons.

Fuck now *I* want to play SS2.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 11:39:12 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah yes. The organs. I forgot.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 11:41:06 2,534 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right Quaddy, do you want to get Arkane on the phone and get them to sort this SS3 business sorted out? There's a spam fritter in it for you.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2017 11:51:01 28,904 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As tempting as that offer is, I believe Warren Spector is already on the case.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2017 11:51:36 28,904 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:

Fuck now *I* want to play SS2.
    :D

It's nice on a big screen with the mods.

Go on!
  • Duffking 13 Sep 2017 12:56:29 14,725 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I probably won't bother with the mods. Maybe the texture one, but I always thought the one that replaces the enemy models etc looks godawful.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 13:03:48 2,534 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    As tempting as that offer is, I believe Warren Spector is already on the case.
    I hope he doesn't try and shoe horn mickey mouse into it somehow.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2017 14:28:53 28,904 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    I probably won't bother with the mods. Maybe the texture one, but I always thought the one that replaces the enemy models etc looks godawful.
    The flora one is good too. And the improved music one. But yeah, you want the texture/res one at least.

So you're going to play it again now then? :)
  • Duffking 13 Sep 2017 15:07:47 14,725 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe, I've got no internet this weekend as I'm changing provider and my gf is away for a few days so need something to do.

On the other hand I could start on the backlog...
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2017 15:15:58 28,904 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Duffking

True, backlog shifting is always a priority.

But then again, would any of them really be as good as SS2? Especially with no internet...
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 15:36:24 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's aged INCREDIBLY well (well, with the mods ha ha, but also on a gameplay level) and with headphones it is immense.

If Prey wasn't so fucking good I'd be playing it this week.
  • Duffking 13 Sep 2017 15:44:33 14,725 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there a mod that lets me turn the music off/down? I remember it really grating after a while especially in the engineering deck with the THUMPING TECHNO MUSIC going at all times.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 15:52:56 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can you not just turn it down in your sound settings? that's what I did...
  • Duffking 13 Sep 2017 16:30:21 14,725 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I'd still like the music at certain points like combat, rather than blaring all the time.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2017 16:51:13 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, I get you. Yeah I don't know if a mod does that.

So really I could have saved myself a couple of posts.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2017 18:48:14 28,904 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can separate the music volume from the effects but not sure if you'll still get the ambient stuff though. I think the music mod just increases the quality of the music overall. Have a look at systemshock.org

I like the banging stuff in this environmental setting though - seems to fit with the desperation imo
  • JamboWayOh 13 Sep 2017 21:41:27 2,534 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ha, this thread has definitely turned into the System Shock thread now. All we need now is a picture of Jet from Gladiators.
  • docrob 14 Sep 2017 19:17:21 784 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @Decks you can get the shotgun very early and its well worth doing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBS5_rP_5eo

The gloo gun is also a portable platform creator - so if you see a higher floor, platform etc that you want to get to, try making a path with it. Just save first, so if you make a hash of it you can go back without losing ammo etc although gloo cartridges are in plentiful supply.

Definitely get the shotty though - best gun in the game and worth upgrading
    Can't go back to this unless they sort my crash problem out. I am curious though - I couldn't build platforms with the Gloo gun. Every time I tried to place a blob of Gloo onto another blob of Gloo, it shattered. What was I doing wrong?
  • wuntyphyve 14 Sep 2017 19:28:54 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @docrob it doesn't stick to itself. Basically fire a blob to a wall about jump height, jump up and mantle on to it, look up, fire another directly above and jump and mantle. Repeat til up!
  • docrob 16 Sep 2017 10:07:14 784 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Cheers. Have more or less figured it out now.

I had another go at the workaround and managed to get it to work this time. So I spent last night back in the Neuromod lab. Encountered the Technopath - now that was scary. Lived through the experience but at the cost of half my Medikits.
  • wuntyphyve 16 Sep 2017 10:11:22 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @docrob yeah those guys are wankers. Still takes me a fair bit to take one out. Disruptor and EMPs are your friends.
  • docrob 16 Sep 2017 11:50:16 784 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @docrob yeah those guys are wankers. Still takes me a fair bit to take one out. Disruptor and EMPs are your friends.
    Yep, I used a fair few EMP grenades, and shotgun shells. My eventual tactic was to run away and hide. Then sneaked up behind him and finished him off with my pistol.
  • wuntyphyve 18 Sep 2017 09:13:05 9,482 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right then. Making progress. Just entered life support. Still seems as though I have a fair amount to do. Anyone know how far I am in roughly? Still never been back in to the GUTS after that one trip and think all the airlocks are still sealed so have no choice but to continue onwards for just now. Got 2 digits of this bloody treasure map so far.
  • Pumpatron 18 Sep 2017 17:40:46 479 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don’t post a lot here but thought I’d chip in with my thoughts, and then disappear again...

I’m really enjoying it, I like and how it encourages you to just explore and figure shit for yourself. Really like the zero-g stuff outside the space station too, just feels so cool floating around out there.

The only thing I'm not that keen on is the visual style. Not saying it’s poor, just that I wish they’d gone for a more realistic style and a darker tone overall. This is the kind of game I want to really get immersed in, but the stylised visuals they’ve gone for kinda runs contrary to that, for me at least.
  • Lotos8ter 18 Sep 2017 20:41:17 2,517 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just completed the Life Support and power plant sections. Went back to the main lobby for a couple of side quests and there's 2 Telepaths, 2 phantoms and mimics in there. I'm playing on normal but I'm lasting seconds as there's no stealth opportunities and I'm spotted exiting the lift by the whole gang.

Was really enjoying it but fuck this. Calling it a night

and that fat fucking cook has got it coming too. Cheeky fucker put a recycle charge on the door that I didn't see so I ended up as recycling. With a trophy ofc :-)
  • FatsoJetson 18 Sep 2017 22:21:21 347 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyphyve if you're entering life support for story reasons, you've probably got about 3-5 hours left, depending on how many side missions you've done/want to do.

I loved the last section of the game. They pack a lot in, but I'd invested wisely in neuromods, so I was pretty much unstoppable, running back and forth mopping up bits and pieces. Even the Nightmare was nothing to worry about.

Absolutely loved this game. Not sure why I waited so long to play it.
  • Zippity-zap 19 Sep 2017 03:41:37 203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am really enjoying it on "hard". It's a masterclass in environmental design and game mechanics, though I do find the Typhon to be pretty bland enemies.

Combat tips:
    Upgrade the awesome shotgun. This is the up-close phantom killer. Also absolutely wrecks the nightmare when used in conjunction with nullwave transmitters. The nightmare becomes a joke.

Upgrade the Qbeam. Use it in conjunction with nullwave transmitters to very easily take down telepaths, weavers, and technopaths.

Upgrade the golden pistol, and set the scope chip that adds critical chance to pistol. Also add the chip that adds damage to tagged enemies, and the chip that reveals hidden mimics. Invest in stealth kill neuromods. All of these make the pistol kick so much arse when thinning out mobs, killing from stealth, or killing from distance. The pistol can take out the meanest phantoms in less than half a clip, with the right chips and neuromods.

Interestingly, I barely used the gloo gun outside of platforming or fire/gas hazard control, but I'm sure other players have made excellent use of it. The same applies to the stun gun.

Great game, even with the sort of bland enemies.

Edit: I should clarify that half an upgraded pistol clip is about 13 rounds.

Edited by Zippity-zap at 03:44:18 19-09-2017
  • Page

of 46 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.