I'm so glad to hear that :D Keep kicking its arse
  • Murbal 21 Aug 2012 11:14:18 21,935 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great news Jonsaan! Keep f'ing it up the a \o/
  • bnazir 7 Jan 2013 22:22:46 81 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    5 months late to this but fantastic news Jonsaan!

Edited by bnazir at 22:24:21 07-01-2013
  • jonsaan 7 Jan 2013 22:25:40 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wowser, that's a bump and a half! Thankyou!

I saw my consultant just before Xmas. All fine. I am on yearly scans now. Another in April I think.

FCUTA!

• temporarysock 22 Oct 2013 02:23:09 2 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Using a sock to mention this.

Have a medical in the afternoon to check out a lump on my left testicle. Shitting bricks. Yeah it could be any number of things. But the possibility of the big C puts the shits up you, especially when it runs in the family. Dad had cancer in his early 30s. Sister had cervical cancer this year and she's a decade younger than me.

Anyone know what to expect from this sort of thing? Is it like an x-ray or does it involve other whotsits? How long till the results?

Not a lot scares me but this crap has got under my skin.
  • thelzdking 22 Oct 2013 03:26:06 4,326 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They gave me an ultrasound. It was about a month, maybe six weeks for the results. Luckily it was nothing, hopefully your situation will turn out the same way.

EDIT: And, yes, it was scary as hell.

Edited by thelzdking at 03:27:07 22-10-2013
  • Murbal 22 Oct 2013 07:11:47 21,935 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fingers crossed it's nothing but you've done the right thing. Good luck.
  • Rusty_M 22 Oct 2013 12:34:31 4,588 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good Good luck mr sock

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Blerk Moderator 22 Oct 2013 12:38:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    temporarysock wrote:
    Using a sock to mention this.

Have a medical in the afternoon to check out a lump on my left testicle. Shitting bricks. Yeah it could be any number of things. But the possibility of the big C puts the shits up you, especially when it runs in the family. Dad had cancer in his early 30s. Sister had cervical cancer this year and she's a decade younger than me.

Anyone know what to expect from this sort of thing? Is it like an x-ray or does it involve other whotsits? How long till the results?

Not a lot scares me but this crap has got under my skin.
    Testicle scans are usually ultrasounds, which are slightly uncomfortable (squashed love-spuds) and a bit messy (slightly warm lubricant all over the place, gross) but nothing to be concerned about. Doesn't take long, they'll generally either give you a diagnosis on the spot or they'll get back to you within a few days if it's not clear.

Cysts are very common on and around the testicles and are generally totally benign, so don't panic just yet. And good luck, Mr Sock.

Edited by Blerk at 13:03:22 22-10-2013
  • JonFE 22 Oct 2013 13:02:53 1,438 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good luck with your results!
  • localnotail 22 Oct 2013 13:07:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jonsaan - if you've not seen this already, can you help a sock in need?

Good luck.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Grax 22 Oct 2013 13:11:26 1,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    hey sock, hope everything goes ok.
  • Bremenacht 22 Oct 2013 22:55:51 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hope all turns out well, Mr.Sock.
  • BillMurray 22 Oct 2013 23:01:10 7,622 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Best of luck squire.
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 08:09:30 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 08:12:56 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the sock was masking a legit quezzie.

As Blerk says. Most likely a cyst. I have one of those on my remaining, good gonad. Best to get it checked out. They are very common.

FCUTA!

• Zizoo 23 Oct 2013 08:15:25 8,115 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where do they usually appear? I check my nuts most days and always focus on the sides, never really the tops where all the squishy bits are. Can't really tell what should be there or not when it comes to those bits.
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 08:16:26 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As for me. I had a yearly scan recently, which was a bit worrying as I have had some odd pain going on.
    All my results are normal and my tumour/node thingy has shrunk so much that it is almost at the point where it would not be classed as such. 3 years to go and I will be discharged and all clear! God willing of course.

FCUTA!

• TVoJ 23 Oct 2013 08:16:46 1,747 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good luck blood. More courageous than I. I can't even fell my balls without feeling sick.

As you said not a lot scares me, except my health. So I hide from mine :(
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 08:18:36 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zizoo a cyst is raised from the surface of the goolie. I think it's more problematic when your ball changes shape and is driven from the inside. No expert though. So if you are worried get your balls into the eager, cupped hands of a local GP!

FCUTA!

• Zizoo 23 Oct 2013 08:24:41 8,115 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan

Can't feel anything like that, but a month ago I started having a numb pain in my right testi. Went to the doctor twice after it persisted and both times he told me it was nerve damage from the way I sat and my wearing tight trousers. :redface:

The pain is back though so I will be looking for a 2nd opinion just to be sure. I really can't tell if anything is abnormal although it does feel slightly swollen to me anyway.

Loose fitting PJ pants until then :)
  • TVoJ 23 Oct 2013 08:29:21 1,747 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was about to say my balls hurt a fair bit, but I think I sit on them quite a lot. I need to invest in a better computer chair bigtime.
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 09:54:07 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zizoo get a second opinion. My doctor told me there was nothing wrong with me for about a year. Right up to the point where docs in AandE told me I had stage 4 cancer.

FCUTA!

• Zizoo 23 Oct 2013 09:57:18 8,115 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan

Eep. I definitely will. I'll insist on more than them feeling me up. I think I need a scan or something.

Sorry if this is intrusive, but did you notice a lump or just pain? What set you on the path of knowing something was up?
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 18:32:02 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zizoo I had no textbook presentation. I got low slung pain for a while, a bit like being kicked in the privates. That was dismissed as nothing to worry about. Then later I got back pain, kidney pain and eventually unbearable stomach pain, that was still dismissed as ' sorry, but sometimes we just don't know', they fed me tramodol for the best part of a year. I still have sheets of A4 i would track all the nurofen, paracetamol and tramodol I was taking on. I even showed them those records and they still said they had no idea. Eventually, i started to think it was me so i would take hot baths to relieve the pain and sleep with three hot water bottles. Then i started to get night sweats. Like soak through your clothes, the bedding and to the other side of the mattress night sweats. Then one day I was on the train home from work and pretty much passed out from the pain it was so bad. I went to A &E and the rest is history:) once admitted, they gave me morphine and that finally helped with the pain! As soon as I started chemo the pain became much more manageable.

Edited by jonsaan at 18:33:47 23-10-2013

FCUTA!

• Zizoo 23 Oct 2013 18:50:54 8,115 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan

Sounds horrendous, but so glad to hear you are doing better.

What do you suggest I ask to have done to detect the worst? I'm worried my doctor could be guilty of the same misdiagnosis and want to try fresh with a new one and just outright ask for them to look properly.
  • jonsaan 23 Oct 2013 19:15:42 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Zizoo i don't know to be honest. Ct scan most likely. Or a PET scan.

To be fair, my case was a bit odd. Even once diagnosed they couldn't find ground zero. They think it was a tumour that burnt out once it started to spread. The type of cancer was proof that it came from the goolies though. They still whipped one off to be sure.

Normally a doc would feel the abnormality in your nad. I think.....I'm no expert...

FCUTA!

• Zizoo 23 Oct 2013 19:34:56 8,115 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @jonsaan

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I'll be sure to get checked out asap

:)
  • Bremenacht 23 Oct 2013 23:01:35 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    @Zizoo get a second opinion. My doctor told me there was nothing wrong with me for about a year. Right up to the point where docs in AandE told me I had stage 4 cancer.
    Yeah, this is really something worth bearing in mind. Some people in the NHS seem to really care and deserve trust. Others are box-tickers masquerading as angels. Question everything.
  • Chopsen 23 Oct 2013 23:14:21 15,727 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is there is no test to prove "no cancer."

Any test would be done to answer a very specific question, and only be good at excluding a specific range of issues.

Even if you did scans on everyone all the time, you're going to get problems because:

1. Very early on, things might not be apparent. The cancer is just missed because it's not far enough to be detected on scan. You're reassured, but you still have cancer.

2. You detect something and you don't know what it is. So you end up having more invasive tests, sometimes dangerous themselves and carrying real risks, and you end up...finding nothing. And rule 1 still applies, so you could still miss something else completely anyway!

3. You detect cancer like things, doesn't matter. Bit more contentious, but this is currently an issue with breast cancer screening and diagnosing prostate cancer by blood test.

So if you're anxious about cancer, getting things looked at by someone with knowledge and experience and some sense is better than just getting tests done willy nilly. Pun not intended.

Obviously get a second opinion if you're not suitably reassured. We do seem fixated with getting tests with big expensive machines done in western medicine.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last