Tribes Ascend Page 4

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • Duffking 18 Apr 2012 12:10:52 7,556 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grom wrote:
    My ingame name is Kerans so hello to anyone I see online - add me if you like.

    I normally play TCN which can be quite easy to rack up the frags, but I feel it's necessary for there to be a really strong base defence class. If TCN was underpowered it would make it virtually impossible to defend the gen/turrets against a reasonable team of attackers. As it is, the Jackal makes a good infiltrator extremely difficult to shift. Not so tough with most players though, as people tend to attack in exactly the same way each time which is trivial to counter.

    TCN is a very busy class anyway, I work harder for the kills in that class than any other, and it does have its limitations. If you don't have some PTH flag chasers the TCN is powerless against enemy cappers.
    Heh, I only ever pick TCN when I've got enough money for a Shrike - I've got the Wheel Deal and Mechanic perks selected for him, so I get enough cash then go nuts. Got 11 roadkills in one round of sandstar earlier ^_^
  • Hexagon 18 Apr 2012 14:28:19 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grom wrote:
    My ingame name is Kerans so hello to anyone I see online - add me if you like.

    I normally play TCN which can be quite easy to rack up the frags, but I feel it's necessary for there to be a really strong base defence class. If TCN was underpowered it would make it virtually impossible to defend the gen/turrets against a reasonable team of attackers. As it is, the Jackal makes a good infiltrator extremely difficult to shift. Not so tough with most players though, as people tend to attack in exactly the same way each time which is trivial to counter.

    TCN is a very busy class anyway, I work harder for the kills in that class than any other, and it does have its limitations. If you don't have some PTH flag chasers the TCN is powerless against enemy cappers.
    You work harder for the kills in that class than any other? I am sorry but reading that angers me. How do you work harder for the kills as a Technician than any other class? Your thumper kills light and medium classes in one to two shots. Your two light turrets further aid in the process. Your motion sensors detect any enemies walking by (including cloaked Infiltrators and jammed Raiders) and alerts you wherever you are while draining a good deal of energy off your enemies. Your enemies also come to you since Technicians are primarily defensive types, meaning you can lay out a web of traps.

    Your post makes it seem like you are a sole player playing as a Technician against a number of enemies and that simply isn't the case unless you truly alone are defending your base and the other 15 players are off doing their own thing. That is hardly ever the case , though. One good Technician could easily take on three enemies of the light or medium class. I know I have. I find the content of your post to simply be untrue.

    GOG for Linux!

  • magicpanda 18 Apr 2012 15:30:34 13,480 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://puu.sh/q9uo

    Edited by magicpanda at 15:31:22 18-04-2012
  • magicpanda 18 Apr 2012 15:46:43 13,480 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    magicpanda wrote:
    I am themagicpanda.
    I saw you in a game briefly and wondered if this was you.
    Hah, likewise, about 7pm last night.
  • urban 18 Apr 2012 15:53:11 11,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Innnnnformative!

    Though llama grabbing is a term that should be left to the die as the kiddy elitism that plagued T2.
  • cianchristopher 18 Apr 2012 15:54:21 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow at the 10/10 review on the front page. Is this coming out on Steam?
  • Deleted user 18 April 2012 16:01:53
    https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/
  • Duffking 18 Apr 2012 16:11:30 7,556 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    urban wrote:
    Innnnnformative!

    Though llama grabbing is a term that should be left to the die as the kiddy elitism that plagued T2.
    Meh, the game uses the term too. And to be honest it's extremely fucking annoying if you're playing pathfinder, about to make a 250+ kmh grab and some fool grabs it at walking speed especially if you've just VSAFd.
  • Tomo 18 Apr 2012 16:49:13 13,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    magicpanda wrote:
    I am themagicpanda.
    I saw you in a game briefly and wondered if this was you.
    Ditto. I'm DrTonto. Will add you guys later :)
  • Deleted user 18 April 2012 17:05:30
    I'm boabg, amazingly.
  • Grom 18 Apr 2012 17:25:29 14 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hexagon wrote:
    You work harder for the kills in that class than any other? I am sorry but reading that angers me. How do you work harder for the kills as a Technician than any other class?
    Your post makes it seem like you are a sole player playing as a Technician against a number of enemies and that simply isn't the case unless you truly alone are defending your base and the other 15 players are off doing their own thing. That is hardly ever the case , though. One good Technician could easily take on three enemies of the light or medium class. I know I have. I find the content of your post to simply be untrue.
    Sorry to have made you angry. I'm also sorry to imply that a team is one or two technicians and then a load of nonentities, that was not what I meant (although my last paragraph did sound like that, so sorry again).

    What I meant was that TCN is a very busy class. You are expected to both defend and repair the entire base, often on your own. You are required to fight every single attacking class, often at a ratio of 2 or 3:1. You need to continually fight fires and react to players who far overpower you offensively and defensively one on one (Raider, any heavy who ends up in the base) or are invisible and can kill you with one shot unless you constantly keep moving (INF with Jackal). If you have motion sensors you lose your grenades which are critical to defend gen rooms.

    I enjoy TCN but it's not easymode to play properly, like how not just any PTH can cap within 30 seconds.

    All that said, a team with more than 4 TCNs is going to lose, because you need every single class to succeed.
  • Hexagon 18 Apr 2012 20:09:39 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grom wrote:
    Hexagon wrote:
    You work harder for the kills in that class than any other? I am sorry but reading that angers me. How do you work harder for the kills as a Technician than any other class?
    Your post makes it seem like you are a sole player playing as a Technician against a number of enemies and that simply isn't the case unless you truly alone are defending your base and the other 15 players are off doing their own thing. That is hardly ever the case , though. One good Technician could easily take on three enemies of the light or medium class. I know I have. I find the content of your post to simply be untrue.
    Sorry to have made you angry. I'm also sorry to imply that a team is one or two technicians and then a load of nonentities, that was not what I meant (although my last paragraph did sound like that, so sorry again).

    What I meant was that TCN is a very busy class. You are expected to both defend and repair the entire base, often on your own. You are required to fight every single attacking class, often at a ratio of 2 or 3:1. You need to continually fight fires and react to players who far overpower you offensively and defensively one on one (Raider, any heavy who ends up in the base) or are invisible and can kill you with one shot unless you constantly keep moving (INF with Jackal). If you have motion sensors you lose your grenades which are critical to defend gen rooms.

    I enjoy TCN but it's not easymode to play properly, like how not just any PTH can cap within 30 seconds.

    All that said, a team with more than 4 TCNs is going to lose, because you need every single class to succeed.
    I still don't agree. Playing as a Technician is incredibly easy, at least for me. Yes, Raiders and Infiltrators are my chief worries but with my thumper, light turrets, and motion sensors, I have nothing to really get anxious about. The number of times I have used the TCNG lies in the single digits as well as I deem the motion sensor far more valuable.

    When facing Technicians, I sometimes find myself getting owned by lower rank players and considering how often I have been cussed out for playing as a Technician (during the beta anyway), it angers me and I think I can empathize with those that used to cuss me out. Considering my experience from both sides, perhaps you too will see it my way the more you play.

    GOG for Linux!

  • FogHeart 18 Apr 2012 23:43:40 988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, that was a lot of fun...if it was limited to playing as soldier and pretty much only using the Thumper DX. Played long enough to unlock the Techie (before you say anything, I was born to fix stuff and kill thieves and vandals). The journey has begun.

    Oh and hello to MagicPanda!
  • Hexagon 19 Apr 2012 00:23:00 352 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Mistermorriss
    Salaman wrote:
    Salaman13
    Couldn't add you two.

    GOG for Linux!

  • magicpanda 19 Apr 2012 08:46:31 13,480 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lol @ 3 mins in. Heartbreaking :)

    I love this game, wish I had more time to play it.

    Edited by magicpanda at 08:49:18 19-04-2012
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 10:43:31
    Hey guys, feel free to add me - Morate.
  • Duffking 19 Apr 2012 12:13:48 7,556 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's a game I recorded a while back, one of my first rounds as a Jug. Took me a while to get warmed up but did pretty well. Amusing to watch now actually as I don't use the Spinfusor MKD on the Jug anymore.


    Edited by DUFFKING at 12:22:25 19-04-2012
  • urban 19 Apr 2012 15:45:30 11,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been having dreams about this game. That's surely a good thing.
  • magicpanda 19 Apr 2012 16:02:41 13,480 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got an unstoppable accolade at lunch time. 20 kills without dying.

    Granted, I was holed up with my 2 turrets covering the flag but the was some skill involved :p
  • dsmx 19 Apr 2012 16:56:24 7,727 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    somethings very off with the hit detection for me grenades exploding right at peoples feet and it's not doing any damage.

    "If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

  • urban 20 Apr 2012 15:19:35 11,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    100,000xp for a Spinfusor is going to take...a while at an average of 800xp per match.

    Not pay to play? It might as well be.

    Edited by urban at 15:19:59 20-04-2012
  • Tomo 20 Apr 2012 15:28:25 13,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    urban wrote:
    100,000xp for a Spinfusor is going to take...a while at an average of 800xp per match.

    Not pay to play? It might as well be.

    Edited by urban at 15:19:59 20-04-2012
    I don't really see the problem with it. It's basically an exceptionally fully featured demo. It's not nearly as cynically structured as so many other free to play games.

    The way i see it: I'll play it loads with the Pathfinder till I understand the nuances of the game and then if I'm convinced it's worth the longhaul, i'll invest in some gold.
  • Duffking 20 Apr 2012 15:34:59 7,556 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought the preorder pack way back in closed beta. Got me 3K gold and 30 days booster, plus 1.5xp forever.
  • magicpanda 20 Apr 2012 16:15:44 13,480 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dumped 7 on it last night. Wish I had used it to unlock motion sensors now.

    I seem to have moved up a bracket in the matchmaking and am getting roundly stuffed.
  • FogHeart 21 Apr 2012 20:24:21 988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I relinquished and paid for my TCN to get a thumper - it would have taken a couple of weeks to get one via XP. The crappy SMG you get as a default was killing nobody.

    It seems you just need the gold to get a single decent weapon for your class, the rest is either not worth the fuss or you can earn it through XP.

    I'm going to stick up for the techie's plight. It seems that I'm keeping lots of plates spinning at once...I inevitably find myself running around the generator, turrets, radar and flag defences (yes, I'm always having to do both gen and flag) repairing and upgrading. I just don't find the time to look out for enemies after my own sorry arse and it gets handed to me a lot.
  • urban 21 Apr 2012 20:37:26 11,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah a game of technician without the thumper is a very hard life indeed. The SMG does deliver very decent damage but you've gotta actually hit them and in a game of tribes where everyone's moving at least 50mph that's easier said than done.

    There's usually one dick base raping from some hill about 1KM away. Blue disc after blu disc slamming into the base defenses. If I go and kill him by the time I've repaired stuff he's back doing the same again. I usually lay a turret so I know they're there and try get over there to disturb them so they can't lay shots down on the base.

    Technician doesn't feel over powered to me. All of the classes totally transform once you unlock their good weapon. I.E the juggernaut and the MIRV launcher. My god that thing is IMPOSSIBLE to get past on Raindance.
    Flawless generator protection. All you gotta do is stand on the top platform and spam the drop entrance, nobody can get past. Believe me.

    Anyone tried doing Flag grabber/biker collect runs? E.G Flag capper grabs the flag then the biker matchs his speed and he hitches a ride. Is it faster? Safer? Better?
  • Tomo 22 Apr 2012 02:10:43 13,980 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just unlocked TCN this evening and had a quick go. Machine gun is okay, but shite against anything above light class. Think I'll have to get the thumper too. It seems fun, though I feel I could do with a decent Juggernaut player giving me some backup. Defending the entire base by yourself, when there's an opponent camped in your generator room is impossible to deal with.

    Also: how do you lay down turrets? I haven't figured that out yet...
  • FogHeart 22 Apr 2012 09:46:35 988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a specific keybinding for your pack. Probably the classes you've played so far use a 'passive' pack, one that doesn't need activating to work. When you press it, a 'ghost' of your turret appears in front of you pointing forwards. It's red when you aren't permitted to place it - either it's not on a stable surface or too close to another one - and green when you can. Press fire to deploy. To cancel, switch weapon.
  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply