Tribes Ascend Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• DUFFKING 22 Apr 2012 10:36:37 7,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Techie has to be by far the most overused class. The game turns into Technicians: Ascend at some points :|
  • urban 22 Apr 2012 11:50:31 10,923 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I only go techie if there is less than 2 of them. Each team really needs 2.

Otherwise I'm a pathfinder. That shit is fun.
  • DUFFKING 22 Apr 2012 12:24:48 7,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know loads of great routes for a Pathfinder to cap with but it's so frustrating being a dedicated capper. Was appraoching at 320kmh on temple ruins yesterday to see some mong walk across the flag stand and pick it up :| I usually only chase as a pathfinder now and on some maps it's almost impossible if a capper has much speed.

Mostly I go Soldier/Raider/Jug these days.
  • FogHeart 22 Apr 2012 13:53:44 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When there are more than two techies I look at their sentry placement and utterly despair. On the inside I see them out in the middle of corridors or in recesses where any explosive chucked at them from out of sight will dispose of them. I cut my teeth learning sentry placement as an engy in Team Fortress Classic, and the skills are very useful here.

But I'm finding that the saboteur's triple-sticky grenade launcher is just too powerful. Uncloak, spam the explosives, and either I go down or the generator goes down. Or if I'm busy repairing, both.
  • graysonavich 22 Apr 2012 14:02:13 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Meh, sentry guns barely tickle. They're nothing more than an early warning system (if you see the icon disappear) or to get the odd assist point in a high action area.

They really need a buff.
  • DUFFKING 22 Apr 2012 14:29:30 7,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They really don't. Hell the majority of the communities I visit are overwhelmingly of the opinion that TCN is almost too strong (well, maybe overused). They can fucking slaughter incoming pathfinders, and that's their primary goal. 2 good sentries by a flag and any pathfinders coming in with <600hp are almost guaranteed to die. Throw in a single HoF with a forcefield and you're sorted. TCNs aren't supposed to be killing people with sentries, they're for harassing incoming cappers or people in the gen room. Capper comes in at good speed, two sentries will often weaken him enough for a sentinel to finish him off.

Incidentally, sentinels are pretty strong at the moment too as there's no distance fog to speak of.

Edited by DUFFKING at 14:33:28 22-04-2012
  • Tomo 22 Apr 2012 15:42:40 13,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    There's a specific keybinding for your pack. Probably the classes you've played so far use a 'passive' pack, one that doesn't need activating to work. When you press it, a 'ghost' of your turret appears in front of you pointing forwards. It's red when you aren't permitted to place it - either it's not on a stable surface or too close to another one - and green when you can. Press fire to deploy. To cancel, switch weapon.
    Ah. Does the TCN have sentries to begin with, or do they require unlocking?
  • FogHeart 22 Apr 2012 15:45:37 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's right - if you put the sentries down right you get five or six hits incoming and five or six outgoing (that's the secret - the second sentry should hit them in the back as they leave. shhhhhh) Put down an inv station somewhere discreet and even if the sentries are destroyed by tactical strikes you can have one back down straight away and the other a few seconds later.

But of course you're so busy sorting out the rest of the defence at the time...
  • graysonavich 22 Apr 2012 15:51:23 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Justification for not buffing something by saying "when there's more than them they're better", do you work for Blizzard?:)
  • DUFFKING 22 Apr 2012 16:52:21 7,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The point is that nobody should be able to defend on their own. It's entirely intentional that one technician defending on their own is going to be useless, just like having a heavy on flag on his own will also be useless without support. It goes both ways, because a lone pathfinder with no help from raiders and juggernauts is going to get slaughter.
  • graysonavich 22 Apr 2012 17:02:49 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yup, a well balanced team is definitely key.

I'm enjoying Raider far more. Throwing a couple of shots and completely destroying a Techs base in seconds is great fun.
  • FogHeart 22 Apr 2012 23:26:32 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tomo No, but you can upgrade it so you can lay down three at once. NB your pack holds one at a time - you need to visit an inv station to get the next one to lay down. Hence the need to call down a inv station, near the flag so you go back and forth quickly, but not so close that a strike will destroy it along with the rest of the deployables around the flag.
  • graysonavich 23 Apr 2012 00:26:48 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The upgrade is to carry an extra turret, not place an extra turret.
  • Tomo 23 Apr 2012 02:04:07 13,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gradually getting to understand this and the different classes. It's really, really ace. It's actually fun playing as each class, and I generally hate class-based FPS games.

Just had an ace CTF where we went 4-2 down and suddenly my team decided to play as a team and we ended up winning 5-4 after I got the last flag. I beautifully glided towards my base while the rest of my team shot down the opposition flag carrier, and without stopping got the final cap \o/
  • Tomo 23 Apr 2012 02:04:23 13,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And now it's 2am... and I have work tomorrow :/
  • urban 23 Apr 2012 02:25:12 10,923 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha. It does that sometimes
  • FogHeart 23 Apr 2012 11:25:58 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a bit frustrating when the flag carrier comes home, sees that we have no flag, and goes sailing off into the distance. Defenders will defend you, but we can't Benny Hill you if you leave the base. Maybe they're afraid they'll die and one of us will cap it and steal the glory. I have had cappers throw the flag to me and then I'm all agog - a bit like the star in a theatre breaking their leg before the curtain so they ask the janitor if he can dance.
  • Tomo 23 Apr 2012 11:37:45 13,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was thrown the flag when I was a juggernaut last night. He went of to chase our flag and a short while late I capped. Great teamwork.
  • FogHeart 23 Apr 2012 11:45:29 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @graysonavich

Are you sure? I have the upgrade but I still need to visit the inv station between deployments, and now I can lay down three instead of two.
  • graysonavich 23 Apr 2012 14:41:10 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago

That means you can lay 2 and carry a spare. Not lay 3. If you're laying 3 then it's destroying the oldest every time you deploy it.
  • DUFFKING 23 Apr 2012 17:20:41 7,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I was thrown the flag when I was a juggernaut last night. He went of to chase our flag and a short while late I capped. Great teamwork.
    I often do this as I approach the based if I've got the flag as a pathfinder. Voice commands help too, VVB first (is our base secure?) then VFT (take the flag from me).

FogHeart wrote:
    It's a bit frustrating when the flag carrier comes home, sees that we have no flag, and goes sailing off into the distance. Defenders will defend you, but we can't Benny Hill you if you leave the base. Maybe they're afraid they'll die and one of us will cap it and steal the glory. I have had cappers throw the flag to me and then I'm all agog - a bit like the star in a theatre breaking their leg before the curtain so they ask the janitor if he can dance.
    If a player knows what he's doing this isn't all that bad. I do it on katabatic, the area behind the Blood Eagle base (I think) is great for just flying in a big circle and keeping speed up so nobody can chase you effectively.

Going indoors can often mean a single pathfinder's nitron or a well placed inf stick will screw you over.

If someone is doing that, and going fast, it's best for you to just stick to the flag stand and keep it clear so he can return quickly when need be.

Edited by DUFFKING at 17:23:55 23-04-2012
  • Hexagon 23 Apr 2012 22:14:28 352 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    I know loads of great routes for a Pathfinder to cap with but it's so frustrating being a dedicated capper. Was appraoching at 320kmh on temple ruins yesterday to see some mong walk across the flag stand and pick it up :| I usually only chase as a pathfinder now and on some maps it's almost impossible if a capper has much speed.

Mostly I go Soldier/Raider/Jug these days.
    320 km/h? How? I barely managed above 200 when capping. Mostly less.

GOG for Linux!

• FogHeart 24 Apr 2012 00:13:17 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm guessing he's self harming :eek:

You use the knockback damage of your own weapon to boost your speed.
  • Hexagon 24 Apr 2012 01:01:26 352 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    The upgrade is to carry an extra turret, not place an extra turret.
    Other way around, mate.

GOG for Linux!

• graysonavich 24 Apr 2012 01:08:12 7,309 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can't place 3 turrets, I'm alt+tabbed trying to do it now.
  • Hexagon 24 Apr 2012 01:10:46 352 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    I'm guessing he's self harming :eek:

You use the knockback damage of your own weapon to boost your speed.
    I know that. Still haven't managed to ever get those kinds of speed, though. :-(

GOG for Linux!

• FogHeart 24 Apr 2012 10:28:45 944 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True, 320 is insane, in games the highest grab speed in each game seems to come in at 250. I don't even know how they get that fast.
  • DUFFKING 24 Apr 2012 10:59:32 7,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Temple Ruins has huge hills everywhere. Generally I do a route around the map from my base to the enemy base, making sure I use two impact nitrons and a disc jump around the route but leaving enough time so that my health recharges by the time I reach the flag. I've seen 400kmh grabs on Temple Ruins by some players.

Generally I know a 250kmh or so route on all the maps aside from Sunstar though. I've capped a flag on Drydock in under 10 seconds before :D I've been practicing a back to front route on Arx Novena that will be nice too.

For reference, here's a vid of someone practicing a 310 grab on raindance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq444Fzt-so
    And fuck it, here's a 400kmh one on temple:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9noDp1MDqk
  • urban 24 Apr 2012 13:35:59 10,923 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What is the gotta go fast badge for? I've got it once. is it 200+?
  • Tomo 24 Apr 2012 14:27:05 13,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good God. Those videos show just how far off I am from being any good.

They seem to travel extremely slowly when they're actually in the air? Or is it that I just don't get that high off the ground to experience how slowly you travel?

They also demonstrate how beautifully inventive you can be in Tribes.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last